The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I dont know if you already know or are interested but on BBC2 at 9pm on wednesday (tomorrow) there is a programme on called The Code which is maths related all about pi in everyday life and other mathsy things.... :biggrin:
..and Episode 3 of the Story of Maths is on again tonight (Tuesday) on BBC4 at 8 p.m.
Original post by tiny hobbit
..and Episode 3 of the Story of Maths is on again tonight (Tuesday) on BBC4 at 8 p.m.

Ooh whats this?? Ive never heard of it before! haha :/
Original post by BeccaCath94
Ooh whats this?? Ive never heard of it before! haha :/

It's about the History of Maths and the different famous mathematicians and cultures that discovered maths etc. It's pretty interesting.

You can actually do a OU course on it.
Original post by laughylolly
It's about the History of Maths and the different famous mathematicians and cultures that discovered maths etc. It's pretty interesting.

You can actually do a OU course on it.

Oh wow!
Do you know how long it'll stay on iplayer before it sounds really good :smile:

I watched The Code last night...it was very interesting all about how numbers shape everything that is created!! :biggrin:
Oh wow!
Do you know how long it'll stay on iplayer before it sounds really good :smile:

I watched The Code last night...it was very interesting all about how numbers shape everything that is created!! :biggrin:

I'm not sure. There's the third episode of the story of maths on iplayer at the moment, not sure about the rest. I think you can watch the episodes on youtube too. If not, it's on DVD too.
I'm not sure. There's the third episode of the story of maths on iplayer at the moment, not sure about the rest. I think you can watch the episodes on youtube too. If not, it's on DVD too.

Oh wow! I'll look into it thank you :biggrin:
Oh wow! I'll look into it thank you :biggrin:

No problem! My Maths teacher made us watch it in Year 11 since we did our GCSE maths early. I can't remember how many episodes there are, I think there might be 4 and they are each like 50-60 mins long. It's quite interesting to see how everything came about.
Well I for one found 'the code' to be patronising, over simplistic, over stylised and vague. Oh! and he confused velocity and speed.
What a shame, I liked his history of Maths programs.

On a different note, am I alone in saying I have not even given a thought to my personal statement?
Reply 789
Original post by ben-smith
Well I for one found 'the code' to be patronising, over simplistic, over stylised and vague. Oh! and he confused velocity and speed.

On a different note, am I alone in saying I have not even given a thought to my personal statement?

Definitely not alone
Reply 790
I did like the code, although for alot of it i found my self saying everything he was about to say in advance coz im a ****ing maths god.
cant wait for episode 2 :smile:
Original post by Jampolo
I did like the code, although for alot of it i found my self saying everything he was about to say in advance coz im a ****ing maths god.

I did this as well. This does makes neither me nor you a maths god.

Any program that spends a significant period of time explaining how the ratio between the circumference and the diameter of any circle is pi is, frankly, aiming far too low.

The program basically amounted to:
Ooooh, here's a number. *Points to a formula involving that number*. Isn't that amazing!*cue emotive music*
Surely one can go into more depth than that?
Reply 792

Any program that spends a significant period of time explaining how the ratio between the circumference and the diameter of any circle is pi is, frankly, aiming far too low.

Ooooh, here's a number. *Points to a formula involving that number*. Isn't that amazing!*cue emotive music*

was a joke m8 chill chill
Reply 793

Didn't you say he got speed mixed up with velocity? He did say vertical speed indicating a direction, so i guess it's correct in the context?
Reply 794
If any of you are interested in any mathematics-related literature, there's a wonderful novel called Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Number; it takes you through history, showing you what mathematics was available, different number systems, etc., the birth of 0, its significance, among other things, and it ends on some general relativity/string theory. I can't really do it justice with my clumsy plot synopsis, but if any of you maths fans out there are interested in reading something, it's definitely worth it.

There's a decent amount of maths in there, but nothing that's too mindblowing.

Edit: I'm a maths fan, but I was late to the game. I was fantastic at it in primary school, but I got very, very, very lazy with it in secondary school and ended up screwing up. Thankfully I've saved the game, and I'm studying it at Advanced Higher just now, and finding it very fascinating and not too challenging!
(edited 12 years ago)
No problem! My Maths teacher made us watch it in Year 11 since we did our GCSE maths early. I can't remember how many episodes there are, I think there might be 4 and they are each like 50-60 mins long. It's quite interesting to see how everything came about.

Oh i see...well thank you i'll see what I can do! It does sound interesting :smile:

I think you only found it simplistic because we knew all the stuff already but it was really aimed at people without our knowledge so started from the bottom.
I enjoyed it and thought it was very interesting how maths is put into perspective!

Original post by Jampolo

Hahaha thats what I thought too!!! :biggrin: Yep same!! Shapes :P

Hahaha awwww but it sounds so cool to be a maths god!! :/
I dont think thats what it was like at all...... :/
Reply 796

Hahaha thats what I thought too!!! :biggrin: Yep same!! Shapes :P

Ignore ben, he's jealous of us Mathematical God's :cool:
Reply 797
Story of maths on youtube, just seearched it, the other parts are on the related videos section. If this is the wrong series then oops my bad, i havent seen it myself but will probably start watching it right now :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPaDvLu1tMA
Original post by Jampolo
Ignore ben, he's jealous of us Mathematical God's :cool:

Hahaha obviously!!!! :biggrin:
Original post by desijut
Story of maths on youtube, just seearched it, the other parts are on the related videos section. If this is the wrong series then oops my bad, i havent seen it myself but will probably start watching it right now :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPaDvLu1tMA

Thank you :biggrin:

Latest