The Student Room Group

Credit cards for international students!

Hey,

I'm an international student, been here for almost three years now. Do you know if we can apply for credit cards? I think it's time for me to start building some credit history for myself.

I know they do a credit check to see if I'm accepted, but I'd like to know what are my chances? I've never missed a payment during these two years, but I've credit failed twice when I wanted to go on contract with O2 (within the first few months of my arrival to the UK three years ago)

I've had four direct debits for more than two years, all payments were made on time. Do you know any credit card that I can apply for?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Thinker03
Hey,

I'm an international student, been here for almost three years now. Do you know if we can apply for credit cards? I think it's time for me to start building some credit history for myself.

I know they do a credit check to see if I'm accepted, but I'd like to know what are my chances? I've never missed a payment during these two years, but I've credit failed twice when I wanted to go on contract with O2 (within the first few months of my arrival to the UK three years ago)

I've had four direct debits for more than two years, all payments were made on time. Do you know any credit card that I can apply for?

Thanks!

First check your credit history from Experian (www.experian.co.uk), you can use this service free on trial basis and after you have your credit report then you can deactivate your experian account.
O2 demands comparatively high credit score in order to issue a new monthly paid mobile. So no need to worry about it. You can apply for as many as cards you can, there's no restriction for intl. students. But before that you will need a frequent rolling bank account in which the money is going-in & going-out very frequently (trick: withdraw about £500 on Monday & then deposit it in the same account on Wednesday :wink: ) At this stage don't go for American Express, as they accept very strong credit scores. Don't go with any credit card that has high APR (40%, 50%, 110% lol ) because by chance if you miss any payment then you will have to pay high interest rate. Go with, Barclays Classic credit cards (easy to get), or simply google any website that offers credit cards for students.
Best of luck!
Edited Note: if on your credit report from Experian shows that you don't have ccj or default then just take a chill pill, your credit history is good but not strong & neither bad :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by kingkhan

Original post by kingkhan
First check your credit history from Experian (www.experian.co.uk), you can use this service free on trial basis and after you have your credit report then you can deactivate your experian account.
O2 demands comparatively high credit score in order to issue a new monthly paid mobile. So no need to worry about it. You can apply for as many as cards you can, there's no restriction for intl. students. But before that you will need a frequent rolling bank account in which the money is going-in & going-out very frequently (trick: withdraw about £500 on Monday & then deposit it in the same account on Wednesday :wink: ) At this stage don't go for American Express, as they accept very strong credit scores. Don't go with any credit card that has high APR (40%, 50%, 110% lol ) because by chance if you miss any payment then you will have to pay high interest rate. Go with, Barclays Classic credit cards (easy to get), or simply google any website that offers credit cards for students.
Best of luck!
Edited Note: if on your credit report from Experian shows that you don't have ccj or default then just take a chill pill, your credit history is good but not strong & neither bad :wink:

That was 3.5 months ago, but thanks anyway. :biggrin:

I did talk to Barclays, seems there's a requirement of an income of at least £10,000 to be eligible to apply for any of their Barclaycards.
Reply 3
Original post by Thinker03
That was 3.5 months ago, but thanks anyway. :biggrin:

I did talk to Barclays, seems there's a requirement of an income of at least £10,000 to be eligible to apply for any of their Barclaycards.

oops! sorry I didn't notice the post is too old, actually I was lil' excited after I received my harrods amex credit card today :smile: that's why I thought to give my poor expertise on it :colone:
I guess you are still a student, is it? Do you get around £1K per month or less than £500 in your bank account?
If your income or scholarship or parents support is around £1K per month then you can easily get any normal APR card.
But if it's less than £500 then go for CapitalOne, especially Vanquis because they give it to everyone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending