The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

oh hello there :tongue:

well this is my dilemma. i want to apply to imperial, birmingham and nottingham. so for my fourth choice i dont know where to apply. i dont want to put all my eggs in one basket and apply to a bmat uni? so i need a ukcat uni that doesnt lay too much emphasis on ukcat if that makes sense?
Reply 6221
Original post by missdunni
oh hello there :tongue:

well this is my dilemma. i want to apply to imperial, birmingham and nottingham. so for my fourth choice i dont know where to apply. i dont want to put all my eggs in one basket and apply to a bmat uni? so i need a ukcat uni that doesnt lay too much emphasis on ukcat if that makes sense?

Leeds perhaps? The only thing they do with the UKCAT is:

If your UKCAT is above 700, +1 mark. If your UKCAT is below 700, 0 bonus marks.

And thats about it. :smile:

Of course, you should research the universities yourself.
yeah thanks :smile:
will email the unis admissions and ask :smile:
Reply 6223
UKCAT booked for 25 August. 4:00pm.
Original post by Besakt
UKCAT booked for 25 August. 4:00pm.

Zero hour :cool:
Reply 6225
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Zero hour :cool:

I chose a late time so that I can have a lie in. Nothing worse then taking a test/exam under stress.
Reply 6226
Good UKCAT score
I'm applying from Toronto, Canada, and I took my UKCAT yesterday. I want to know if my score is good enough to apply to: King's, St. Andrews, Liverpool, and Leicester.

Scores are:
VR: 600
QR: 720
AR: 600
DA: 610

Overall: 2530, Average: around 635.

My marks are ok: overall average of 92 with most of my marks in the low 90's. I have quite a bit of volunteer experience, especially in a healthcare environment, and this summer I am going to India to help build a school and teach English.

If you could please let me know if I have a shot at these schools, that would be great.

Thanks,
bonkyky
Reply 6227
Original post by bonkyky
Good UKCAT score
I'm applying from Toronto, Canada, and I took my UKCAT yesterday. I want to know if my score is good enough to apply to: King's, St. Andrews, Liverpool, and Leicester.

Scores are:

My marks are ok: overall average of 92 with most of my marks in the low 90's. I have quite a bit of volunteer experience, especially in a healthcare environment, and this summer I am going to India to help build a school and teach English.

If you could please let me know if I have a shot at these schools, that would be great.

Thanks,
bonkyky

What are your grades like, have you got any work experience?
Reply 6228
Original post by Besakt

Original post by Besakt
What are your grades like, have you got any work experience?

OSSD Grades:
Grade 12 Advanced Functions: 93%
Grade 11 Accounting: 94%
Grade 11 English: 90%
Grade 11 Biology: 89% (Just under 90)
Grade 11 Chemistry: 92%
Grade 11 Physics: 92%
Grade 12 Co-op: 96% (worked in the Day Surgery Department at a local hospital)

And I have work experience in a doctor's office and at a local hospital. I am also going to shadow a dermatologist and a GP next week.
Reply 6229
Original post by bonkyky
Good UKCAT score

Scores are:

Thanks,
bonkyky

Hey I am from Richmond Hill as well with another applicant doctork2. :smile:
I would say not to apply to Kings cuz they are known for high cut-offs and we are internationals, so it is harder for us
Btw, did the toronto test centre allow keyboards to be used for QR. :smile: And thats a good average so don't worry
ps. did u do day surgery at YCH cuz I am volunteering dere atm
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6230
Original post by apple17

Original post by apple17
Hey I am from Richmond Hill as well with another applicant doctork2. :smile:
I would say not to apply to Kings cuz they are known for high cut-offs and we are internationals, so it is harder for us
Btw, did the toronto test centre allow keyboards to be used for QR. :smile: And thats a good average so don't worry
ps. did u do day surgery at YCH cuz I am volunteering dere atm

Hey, Its nice to know that there are others as well applying from Richmond Hill. I also know doctork2 as he is a friend of mine.
I am now considering not applying to King's cuz I heard they are particular on the cut-offs.
For the UKCAT, your not allowed to use the keyboard at all, and for QR you have to click (can't type). It's also a pain becuz every question it closes, so you have to reopen it.

Yes, I did worked in the Day Surgery Department from Feb to June. Ask the staff there if they know me, and they're all really nice, so you shouldn't worry. How long have you been there?

Lastly, do you think I have a shot at the other medical schools, besides King's?
Reply 6231
Original post by bonkyky
Hey, Its nice to know that there are others as well applying from Richmond Hill. I also know doctork2 as he is a friend of mine.
I am now considering not applying to King's cuz I heard they are particular on the cut-offs.
For the UKCAT, your not allowed to use the keyboard at all, and for QR you have to click (can't type). It's also a pain becuz every question it closes, so you have to reopen it.

Yes, I did worked in the Day Surgery Department from Feb to June. Ask the staff there if they know me, and they're all really nice, so you shouldn't worry. How long have you been there?

Lastly, do you think I have a shot at the other medical schools, besides King's?

Oh. So at the toronto centre, you have no option but to click? That sucks. :frown:
Uhm I just started this June, but before that I worked at Dialysis. My last department was so mean cuz I worked at nights, I used to get dinner and they almost complained to the volunteer head about me eating. The nurses here are so warm and welcoming, esp Dale. :smile:
I think you have strong chances at the other schools cuz St.Andrews cutoff last year was 2457 and u have way above that, so you can get in. Liverpool does not need UKCAT and Leicester has a new scoring system so you may wanna check that out. Yeah, Just make sure you have a good PS and reference.
Reply 6232
Original post by apple17

Original post by apple17
Oh. So at the toronto centre, you have no option but to click? That sucks. :frown:
Uhm I just started this June, but before that I worked at Dialysis. My last department was so mean cuz I worked at nights, I used to get dinner and they almost complained to the volunteer head about me eating. The nurses here are so warm and welcoming, esp Dale. :smile:
I think you have strong chances at the other schools cuz St.Andrews cutoff last year was 2457 and u have way above that, so you can get in. Liverpool does not need UKCAT and Leicester has a new scoring system so you may wanna check that out. Yeah, Just make sure you have a good PS and reference.

Yea, the way the UKCAT is set up is pretty dumb, plus you feel really rushed so some of the questions your proly going to have to guess.

The Day Surgery Staff are all awesome, so I couldn't really pick a favourite. There all so nice, so it makes the experience a lot better.
Right now I'm currently volunteering in the Pharmacy at the hospital, and I'm not liking it too much. All you do is label, so it suks. The staff there are really nice though, so sometimes I get to leave an hour before I'm supposed to.

Thanks for the advice. I think if I really focus on my PS and application, then I should be ok for the other schools. I don't think I'll apply to King's anymore, because there a limite number of spots. I've looked at all of the universities above, and I'll proly apply to Birmingham instead of King's. They have the most number of international spaces, so I'll have a better shot.

Also, which high school do you go to??
Reply 6233
Original post by bonkyky
Yea, the way the UKCAT is set up is pretty dumb, plus you feel really rushed so some of the questions your proly going to have to guess.

The Day Surgery Staff are all awesome, so I couldn't really pick a favourite. There all so nice, so it makes the experience a lot better.
Right now I'm currently volunteering in the Pharmacy at the hospital, and I'm not liking it too much. All you do is label, so it suks. The staff there are really nice though, so sometimes I get to leave an hour before I'm supposed to.

Thanks for the advice. I think if I really focus on my PS and application, then I should be ok for the other schools. I don't think I'll apply to King's anymore, because there a limite number of spots. I've looked at all of the universities above, and I'll proly apply to Birmingham instead of King's. They have the most number of international spaces, so I'll have a better shot.

Also, which high school do you go to??

Hey.
Did you prepare a lot for the UKCAT?
Yeah Birmingham is a good option as well but make sure ur academics are good; cuz they have really high academic requirements since they don't use UKCAT
I go to TMS College, I am assuming u go to BSS?
Original post by apple17
Hey.
Did you prepare a lot for the UKCAT?
Yeah Birmingham is a good option as well but make sure ur academics are good; cuz they have really high academic requirements since they don't use UKCAT
I go to TMS College, I am assuming u go to BSS?

Hey, so I see you two are talking :biggrin: Hi, bonkyky... how original LOL.

I thought we could pres Number Lock on the keyboard and use it. That's what other people have told me anyways.
Original post by bonkyky
OSSD Grades:
Grade 12 Advanced Functions: 93%
Grade 11 Accounting: 94%
Grade 11 English: 90%
Grade 11 Biology: 89% (Just under 90)
Grade 11 Chemistry: 92%
Grade 11 Physics: 92%
Grade 12 Co-op: 96% (worked in the Day Surgery Department at a local hospital)

And I have work experience in a doctor's office and at a local hospital. I am also going to shadow a dermatologist and a GP next week.

Dont worry, bonkyky. You have some good academic achievements... Mine's not consistent, if you know what i mean.

Grade 11 Functions: 97%
Grade 11 Biology: 97%
Grade 11 Anthropology: 96%
Grade 11 Co-op: 96%
Grade 11 Chemistry: 91%
Grade 11 Physics: 82% ARGGHHH
Grade 11 English: 80% ARGGHHH

you see how my marks drop considerably when you enter the field of english and physics. :frown:
Reply 6236
Original post by apple17
Hey thanks for the reflection
How long did you prepare and what resources did you use?
Oh. :P

I bought the 600 UKCAt questions book, but the only section I did out of that was abstract R. Because the others were just too annoying
VR - just cba
QR - was ridiculously hard
DA - was so annoying because you kept having to turn the page to see the codee key.

Apart from that all I used was the two free past papers. I did the first over and over again - until i could do it within the time limit. And then saved the second one and did it after taht.

Anyway guyz Ive got a question - Ive searched and searched the hospitals locally to try and get voluntary work finally I got one that wasnt full but they say I could not get an interview until next year :/ so I scrapped that
Tryed to get work experience in a gps - local mone says no becos of confidentiality and the other ive contacted - I just got through to the practice manager who says that "They dont do work experience". anyway finally i managed to get voluntary in a hospital discharge scheme. Will this be enough? Ive also done work experience in dentists surgery for a week.
Reply 6237
Original post by Einy
DA - was so annoying because you kept having to turn the page to see the codee key.

It has the code on every double page?
Reply 6238
Original post by Einy
I bought the 600 UKCAt questions book, but the only section I did out of that was abstract R. Because the others were just too annoying
VR - just cba
QR - was ridiculously hard

Apart from that all I used was the two free past papers. I did the first over and over again - until i could do it within the time limit. And then saved the second one and did it after taht.

Anyway guyz Ive got a question - Ive searched and searched the hospitals locally to try and get voluntary work finally I got one that wasnt full but they say I could not get an interview until next year :/ so I scrapped that
Tryed to get work experience in a gps - local mone says no becos of confidentiality and the other ive contacted - I just got through to the practice manager who says that "They dont do work experience". anyway finally i managed to get voluntary in a hospital discharge scheme. Will this be enough? Ive also done work experience in dentists surgery for a week.

Have you started your voluntary work yet? How much do you do? How often? Have you done enough to hold a conversation about it?
I think you would need work experience more directly related to medicine. Have you tried getting some work experience in a hospital?
Try google searching for GP practices in your area and then ring them up and write a letter to each one.

Why did you leave everything so late? Although this is kind of hypocritical as I also left everything very late. But I managed to get 3 weeks in a hospital, 1 week in a health care centre and voluntary work at the hospital organised all for this summer holiday that we are on. Only advice I can give you is just ring up everybody and write cover letters and send your CV in. It doesn't matter if it is organised for later on in the year as you should be able to talk about what you expect to gain from the work experience.
Reply 6239
How does everybody think they have done on their AS levels and how is every ones UKCAT revision coming along? When have you booked it for?

Latest

Trending

Trending