The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Ending to Captain America. If you wish to avoid spoilers and skip it, then the Avengers teaser is at 0.35 seconds:

and oh look, Transformers 4:

Original post by Abiraleft
Also, Attack the Block is getting some very good reviews. I hadn't heard of it before. :beard:

I saw the trailers for it ages ago, and then it was in my cinema for about ten days after release :erm: But then I happened upon it in the tiniest Odeon in London, and got to see it after all :h: I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't say it's anything particularly sparkling.
Can anyone recommend me some good 20th/21st century war films? Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down sort of thing.

Or a good miniseries, like Band of Brothers, The Pacific, or Generation Kill.
Reply 3623
Original post by Jace Falco
Can anyone recommend me some good 20th/21st century war films? Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down sort of thing.

The Thin Red Line

Not sure of any more 'in the heat of battle/on the front line' films than what you've listed but Enemy at the Gates is a really good one.

We Were Soldiers, Saints and Soldiers, Defiance, Downfall, Full Metal Jacket, The Thin Red line, Apocalypse Now, Valkyrie and maybe the Pianist are others that come to mind but not entirely fitting your criteria.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Not sure of any more 'in the heat of battle/on the front line' films than what you've listed but Enemy at the Gates is a really good one.

We Were Soldiers, Saints and Soldiers, Defiance, Downfall, Full Metal Jacket, The Thin Red line, Apocalypse Now, Valkyrie and maybe the Pianist are others that come to mind but not entirely fitting your criteria.

Seen Enemy At The Gates and Apocalypse Now, I'll have a look at the rest :ta:
Reply 3626
Watching Piranha 3D. Nothing special but good for some time killing
Reply 3627
Original post by Aj12
Watching Piranha 3D. Nothing special but good for some time killing

Only decent thing about that film is the women imo.

Anyway, The Town or X-Men First Class? Can't decide which to watch.
Reply 3628
Original post by Deshi
Only decent thing about that film is the women imo.

Anyway, The Town or X-Men First Class? Can't decide which to watch.

X men first class. Really good film.
Reply 3629

If you want some lols you could always watch Windtalkers and watch Nicholas Cage win WW2 by himself...

On a serious note Platoon is really good. Letters from Iwo Jima. Hurt Locker (overrated but still decent). Three Kings is also a decent watch.
(edited 12 years ago)
Anyone seen Captain America yet? If so, how is it?
Original post by Deshi
If you want some lols you could always watch Windtalkers and watch Nicholas Cage win WW2 by himself...

Is that the one about the Navajo code? I saw most of that.
Reply 3632
Is that the one about the Navajo code? I saw most of that.

Yeah, the battle scenes are awesome but the films itself :facepalm2:

Anyway, I edited my post to include some proper suggestions :colondollar:
Reply 3633
I did a gym session today whilst listening to the LOtR soundtrack, forgot how much I loved it. I really hope The Hobbit's soundtrack is just as quality.
Original post by Deshi
Yeah, the battle scenes are awesome but the films itself :facepalm2:

Anyway, I edited my post to include some proper suggestions :colondollar:

On a similar note to Iwo Jima, Eastwood's companion piece Flags of Our Fathers is pretty great. Watching them as a double bill is something special.
Reply 3636
Whoever suggested I watch X-Men First Class is a genius. It was much better than I expected it to be. Everything about it was pretty top notch. Can't wait for sequels. The soundtrack was pretty good as well.

Spoiler

One thing I don't understand though is the relations between characters it shows in this film. If you watch the original trilogy it hardly hints at any of them.

Spoiler

Original post by Deshi

One thing I don't understand though is the relations between characters it shows in this film. If you watch the original trilogy it hardly hints at any of them.

Spoiler

Yeah, it's more like a 'reboot' than a strict prequel.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3638
Just watched Stand By Me. Forgot how damn good is it. :moon:
Just watched Submarine, good film!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending