The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Anyone Else Starting the Japanese Studies Course in September 2011?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GuineaPrig
Yayyyy everyone's excited!!! :biggrin:

I'm pretty sure we're divided up into 5 or 6 groups, looking at the timetables...:eek:

there were about 70/75 of us to begin with, spread out into 3 groups :P
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 221
Original post by Kendo_Artist
there were about 70/75 of us to begin with, spread out into 3 groups :P

25 people in a language class is pretty darn big. :frown:
Reply 222
Original post by avila
Me three?
Also don't have a Failbook profile and don't like clubbing, so I'll immediately be labeled a social outcast. Fun times ahead. :/

Anyway, during the June open day, Hugo Dobson said there were around 80 places for the entire department and they had eleven applicants for each place during the 2011 cycle. 80 places is actually really tiny, so it's not too bad. I hope the classes are going to be small.

Original post by GuineaPrig
Snap XD I'm sure there'll be more of us!!

Original post by Susant
May I be the D'Artagnan to your Three Musketeers. :colondollar:

I have a feeling clubbing won't be my thing....:colonhash:

I don't have facebook or like clubbing/drinking either :colondollar: I thought I was gonna be the lonely freaky one.
Reply 223
Original post by avila
25 people in a language class is pretty darn big. :frown:

One of the forth year students told me that the drop out rate is pretty bad in the first term so maybe the classes will be a lot smaller by January.
Reply 224
Original post by 07734
One of the forth year students told me that the drop out rate is pretty bad in the first term so maybe the classes will be a lot smaller by January.

Ah! Yes, you're right. I totally forgot about that. D:
Should be alright then; we'll all make it through-- I'm sure! :smile:
Original post by 07734
Hi :biggrin:

I'll be starting Japanese in September too, so nice to meet you.

XD I feel old too. 22 later this year and yet I'm a, "mature student."

The internet is so bad here so I'm sorry for now saying hi sooner.

*Waves to everyone* can't wait to meet everyone in September. Hajimema****e!!!! Douzo yoroshiku!

I'm so glad I shan't be the only oldie :') nice to meet you too!

Also, as everyone is talking about how shy they are... Can I just say that I come off as a cocky little bastard? I'm really not, it's just nerves ^^; I tend to offend people so... Please don't be offended? Haha
Reply 226
Original post by 07734
I don't have facebook or like clubbing/drinking either :colondollar: I thought I was gonna be the lonely freaky one.

Can I join the don't have facebook and don't like clubbing club too please? :redface:

But I'm really really looking forward to this now, can't wait!
Reply 227
Hey guys :smile: I can't even remember if i've posted here before but hai I shall be joining you guys in September ;D

I am also a little shy and i'm gonna be super nervous on the first day... awkward icebreakers yay!

I'm glad theres others here that aren't obsessed with facebook/drinking/clubbing despite the fact I do all of those things, I've been thinking of cutting them out because I really want to concentrate and they're a massive distraction to me... at least I know there's some people I can hang with !

I'm really excited to meet everyone :biggrin:
Reply 228
:hi: new peeps!

I wonder how hard it is to keep a healthy diet at uni. I have a feeling I'll be back to chugging down Irn-brus and cokes with my tesco's pizzas before the end of the first week.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 229
Original post by Kortnie
Hey guys :smile: I can't even remember if i've posted here before but hai I shall be joining you guys in September ;D

I am also a little shy and i'm gonna be super nervous on the first day... awkward icebreakers yay!

I'm glad theres others here that aren't obsessed with facebook/drinking/clubbing despite the fact I do all of those things, I've been thinking of cutting them out because I really want to concentrate and they're a massive distraction to me... at least I know there's some people I can hang with !

I'm really excited to meet everyone :biggrin:

Yey! More friends!!!! :biggrin: *clings onto everyone* DON'T LET ME SPEND THE NEXT FOUR YEARS ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know what they're doing for fresher week? Some friends of mine who have already gone to uni told me everyone gets drunk and I don't like that idea :frown:. I've been told though that it's when you meet everyone and make contacts that are important for the next few years.
Reply 230
Original post by Jaegerjaquez
I'm so glad I shan't be the only oldie :') nice to meet you too!

Also, as everyone is talking about how shy they are... Can I just say that I come off as a cocky little bastard? I'm really not, it's just nerves ^^; I tend to offend people so... Please don't be offended? Haha

I wouldn't worry. I tend to get a little hyper active after the nerves vanish and that annoys people :colondollar:. I don't mean to. *Bows* Just tell me if I'm being a pain everyone!

Original post by Ash S
Can I join the don't have facebook and don't like clubbing club too please? :redface:

But I'm really really looking forward to this now, can't wait!

Haha, yey!!! I'm looking more and more forward to uni now. I won't feel weird now or forgotten about when people go on about partying or facebook :biggrin:

Original post by Susant

I wonder how hard it is to keep a healthy diet at uni. I have a feeling I'll be back to chugging down Irn-brus with my tesco's finest pizzas before the end of the first week.

Don't say that!!! I'm living in Germany at the moment and it's so hard staying healthy!!! :'( I've never had to buy my own food before and I keep wandering to the chocolate section :colondollar: I NEED TO EAT HEALTHY!!! :colondollar: but I might end up wandering aroung tescos easy meals too *drools* pizza.
Reply 231
Original post by 07734
Yey! More friends!!!! :biggrin: *clings onto everyone* DON'T LET ME SPEND THE NEXT FOUR YEARS ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know what they're doing for fresher week? Some friends of mine who have already gone to uni told me everyone gets drunk and I don't like that idea :frown:. I've been told though that it's when you meet everyone and make contacts that are important for the next few years.

I have no idea what I'm supposed to do either. I've sworn off drinking, but everything seems to involve it. I think I'll bend a little for freshers though. I'm going to take a day running around Sheffield scouting out the city, looking for that nifty little cafe/bookstore/etc. Anyone's welcome to join me :tongue:

Original post by 07734

Don't say that!!! I'm living in Germany at the moment and it's so hard staying healthy!!! :'( I've never had to buy my own food before and I keep wandering to the chocolate section :colondollar: I NEED TO EAT HEALTHY!!! :colondollar: but I might end up wandering aroung tescos easy meals too *drools* pizza.

As sad as it sounds, I've been 'practising' living on my own by managing my own buying. :colondollar: I can do everything else, but I have no monetary sense. I impulse buy things like clothes too much.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Susant

I wonder how hard it is to keep a healthy diet at uni. I have a feeling I'll be back to chugging down Irn-brus and cokes with my tesco's pizzas before the end of the first week.

Thats basically my diet, did me well... so far. XD 17p for 2l of coke at tescos, unreal!
Reply 233
Original post by 07734
I'm living in Germany at the moment and it's so hard staying healthy!!! :'(

o_o
What area? Check if you have a supermarket called "Tegut" near you. Food is more expensive there, but even the own-brand frozen pizzas they offer are healthier than what other supermarkets sell. :x

Original post by Susant
As sad as it sounds, I've been 'practising' living on my own by managing my own buying. :colondollar: I can do everything else, but I have no monetary sense. I impulse buy things like clothes too much.

Do you have a spreadsheet program like Excel? In first year at previous uni, I had a really simple budget planner, where I'd enter the money that came into my account and what I spent it on. It would update to show me how much I had left on my account afterwards. That was really useful for managing money until I got a better sense for it. I attached a blank copy of it, if you want to try it. These days I use a program called "Grisbi" to manage money.
a lot of people on here seem to be worried about the drinking culture. Of course it's not mandatory, most of the people I hang around with on the course don't drink at all. Of course you do get people who go clubbing every week but don't let that bother you one bit. Just think of it this way, while they need alchohol to have a good time....you don't. Simple as :P
Original post by Kendo_Artist
x

Do you remember your first ever language lesson? What was it like? What sort of things did you do?
Reply 236
Original post by 07734

:biggrin:! I have no idea what to do for Fresher's week! I think I'm gonna join in most of the social events and partying for that week just to make friends (i'm super scared I'm not gonna make any and be a loner :frown: ) and then tone it down and start hardcore studying after...sounds like a plan.

If you hate drinking and all the extremely sinful stuff that goes down during Freshers I wouldn't worry it sounds like our class are gonna be really friendly and have a lot in common :biggrin:
Reply 237
Original post by Kortnie
extremely sinful stuff that goes down during Freshers

XD That sounds like fun! Sinful stuff!!! *mind wanders down naughtier routes* hehehe.

Nah, I just don't drink alcohol for personal reasons :biggrin: I'm all my for listening to a good band and joining in the social stuff. I just don't drink :wink:

I WANT TO START UNI!!!! :biggrin: I just hope I don't end up in a class full of people who think they're amazing because they did A-levels and moan that they have to redo the basics :'(

P.s. Does anyone wanna me to their msn or skype IM? Hehe, it might be an idea if we can all talk to each other and get to know each other better before September. I use a low budget version of msn to talk to my little sister at home and so it's usually running at night if anyone is interested :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Kortnie
:biggrin:! I have no idea what to do for Fresher's week! I think I'm gonna join in most of the social events and partying for that week just to make friends (i'm super scared I'm not gonna make any and be a loner :frown: ) and then tone it down and start hardcore studying after...sounds like a plan.

If you hate drinking and all the extremely sinful stuff that goes down during Freshers I wouldn't worry it sounds like our class are gonna be really friendly and have a lot in common :biggrin:

This is exactly my plan! Haha. I mean, I do enjoy drinking at whatnot... It's just this time, I'm going to university to study... I'm pretty sure once we get into the course, I'll spend most evenings in my room with my books... So everyone shouldn't worry ^^; I personally am very happy to see other people are already so dedicated! I think we'll make a strong team :')
Reply 239
I'm just going to try and rock freshers without feeling the need to drink loads. :tongue:

By the way, just how much preparation have people done so far? Nein on my end.

Oh, and if one does possess a facebook, don't forget to join the Japanese 2011 group. It's nice to put a face to some names :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending