The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2220
I have been known to wake up in a cold sweat after realising I haven't watered the tomatoes :redface:

There also seem to be a ton of people selling used textbooks on Amazon marketplace etc (unsurprisingly), so I've been grabbing a few deals, although goodness knows whether I will a) read them or b) actually get my grades and need them :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2221
The best thing about the reading list is that it's proved to me that my sterling work ethic is still alive and well. "I really want some reading! Oh, here's the list... euuuughhh, reading. I'll do it tomorrow."

Weirdly, avoiding reading has thrown me into gardening which seems to be a thing amongst Oxford offer holders now? I dug up my potatoes two days ago and have been spending time looking at them admiringly, trying to avoid the inevitable moment when my father says, "Are you going to cook those or what?"
Original post by Elrobi
The best thing about the reading list is that it's proved to me that my sterling work ethic is still alive and well. "I really want some reading! Oh, here's the list... euuuughhh, reading. I'll do it tomorrow."

Weirdly, avoiding reading has thrown me into gardening which seems to be a thing amongst Oxford offer holders now? I dug up my potatoes two days ago and have been spending time looking at them admiringly, trying to avoid the inevitable moment when my father says, "Are you going to cook those or what?"

How much I read depends entirely on the average paragraph length of the book concerned. The one I'm getting through at the moment has ridiculously long paragraphs and my mind tells me "It's not worth the effort". If there were many little paragraphs it would trick me into thinking I was doing less work :biggrin:
Reply 2223
Did anyone else get a letter from Oxford saying they're going to receive the Eliahou Dangoor Scholarship?
Absolutely fantastic! Three gardeners have come out of the woodwork after my post. I'm worried that my courgettes will be ready when I'm in France in a few weeks' time.

I've ordered my books from a little bookshop I once worked for, so they're giving me ludicrously low prices. My ability to read my Tocqueville has plummeted this week, unfortunately. I'll just hammer through the translation over and over.
Reply 2225
Original post by Noble.
Did anyone else get a letter from Oxford saying they're going to receive the Eliahou Dangoor Scholarship?

Apparently only 30 people get it, so I doubt it. Lucky you, though. :smile:
Ah, it isn't offered for history anyway. I'm not angry or jealous in that case.
Reply 2227
Original post by Noble.

"Scholars will be expected to write a report about their academic and social activities, and achievements at the University"

Sounds like forced employment to me.
Reply 2228
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
How much I read depends entirely on the average paragraph length of the book concerned. The one I'm getting through at the moment has ridiculously long paragraphs and my mind tells me "It's not worth the effort". If there were many little paragraphs it would trick me into thinking I was doing less work :biggrin:

I have rejected a book called The Two Cities because it's not about two cities... it's a filthy metaphor and metaphors have no place in History >=( ...it also happens to be the longest book on the list, which I'm sure has nothing to do with my dislike :wink: I'll probably be regretting my decision to spend my summer watching Harry Potter repeats and reading 1930s detective fiction come October...

I know what you mean, I discovered at A level that I can easily read huge quantities of short paragraphs and bullet points... Unfortunately, the further I go through, the fewer bullet points appear. One day, I'll write an Irish history textbook with bullet points... one day!
Reply 2229
Original post by BJack
"Scholars will be expected to write a report about their academic and social activities, and achievements at the University"

A grand for a report isn't exactly slave labour. Then again, if it does prove to be too much for Noble I'd be happy to take the burden off him. :p:
Original post by Elrobi
I have rejected a book called The Two Cities because it's not about two cities... it's a filthy metaphor and metaphors have no place in History >=( ...it also happens to be the longest book on the list, which I'm sure has nothing to do with my dislike :wink: I'll probably be regretting my decision to spend my summer watching Harry Potter repeats and reading 1930s detective fiction come October...

I know what you mean, I discovered at A level that I can easily read huge quantities of short paragraphs and bullet points... Unfortunately, the further I go through, the fewer bullet points appear. One day, I'll write an Irish history textbook with bullet points... one day!

Students everywhere will thank you for being concise :P
Reply 2231
Original post by BJack

£1,000 for one report, some journalists/writers would love to get paid that. Seeing how non-science students are writing several essays per fortnight, I think the scientists can cope with one extra one over the year.
Completely off-topic:

I'm already starting to get withdrawal symptoms in advance of the fact that there's nowhere in Oxford to buy new comics. I am seriously considering a monthly day trip to central London to go to Orbital comics (and maybe whilst there visit FP, Gosh, and Comicana as well).
Reply 2233
Original post by LtCommanderData
Completely off-topic:

I'm already starting to get withdrawal symptoms in advance of the fact that there's nowhere in Oxford to buy new comics. I am seriously considering a monthly day trip to central London to go to Orbital comics (and maybe whilst there visit FP, Gosh, and Comicana as well).

Do comics have ISBN or ISSNs? If so, pretty sure the Bodleian will be getting a copy. :awesome:
Reply 2234
Completely off-topic:

Oxford really isn't great if you want to get anything other than groceries. At least you can get to London cheaply. :s-smilie:
Original post by dbmag9
Do comics have ISBN or ISSNs? If so, pretty sure the Bodleian will be getting a copy. :awesome:

Good question! The issue is less about access to comics, though (ebay ftw), and more about actually going to the comics shop and buying them. For the right person (me), there's a rare joy in being in a decent comics shop and just browsing (and leaving having spent way more than intended).
Reply 2236
Good question! The issue is less about access to comics, though (ebay ftw), and more about actually going to the comics shop and buying them. For the right person (me), there's a rare joy in being in a decent comics shop and just browsing (and leaving having spent way more than intended).

I guess so. Googling suggests there's a second-hand bookshop that has comics, but it looks like it only has second-hand comics. I'm sure there's a comics society to join, though.
Original post by Noble.

I did :biggrin:
It was a nice surprise!
Original post by dbmag9
I guess so. Googling suggests there's a second-hand bookshop that has comics, but it looks like it only has second-hand comics. I'm sure there's a comics society to join, though.

Yeah, I've had an email conversation with the owner of that second-hand place a few months ago, in which he confirmed that there's nowhere to buy new comics in Oxford. I hope there's a society!
Reply 2239
Yeah, I've had an email conversation with the owner of that second-hand place a few months ago, in which he confirmed that there's nowhere to buy new comics in Oxford. I hope there's a society!

If not you can always set one up; I'm sure there'd be enough demand that you could get a few people together for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending