The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4740
Original post by RollerBall
I imagine the work isn't actually all that great either and a lot of "taking blood from a mile away to avoid getting mauled" every day.

I lol'd.:biggrin:
Reply 4741
I think that's why I never did apply in the end. And hey, my 10 year old golden retreiver has athritic hips :tongue:. Zoovet is kind of a pipe dream, I imagine the work isn't actually all that great either and a lot of "taking blood from a mile away to avoid getting mauled" every day.

I think working in a zoo must be the worst job ever? you're working with beautiful creatures in a completely false environment so know that they'll never reach their potential. I'd love to work in a game park or animal rehabilitation but not a zoo.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by lekky
I think working in a zoo must be the worst job ever? you're working with beautiful creatures in a completely false environment so know that they'll never reach their potential. I'd love to work in a game park or animal rehabilitation but not a zoo.

That's what most vets in zoos do.
Reply 4743
Original post by n1r4v

BA (1st) isn't a proper post-nominal, and you lose the BA once you acquire the MA.

COI: I just know.
Reply 4744
Original post by visesh
BA (1st) isn't a proper post-nominal, and you lose the BA once you acquire the MA.

:ditto:

& the (all Cambridge) if it actually says that isn't cool either! :tongue:
Original post by visesh

What if they were in different subjects?
Reply 4746
That's what most vets in zoos do.

As if. They're hardly going to be released back are they. I just hate zoos & te idea of caging animals for entertainment, espeicallt having grown up in a country where you saw them in their natural environment -- that I would love, a zoo sounds like hell.
Original post by lekky
As if. They're hardly going to be released back are they. I just hate zoos & te idea of caging animals for entertainment, espeicallt having grown up in a country where you saw them in their natural environment -- that I would love, a zoo sounds like hell.

Most of those animals were bread in that environment, so its hardly that damaging to them.

Not that I particularly agree, but they know no better so are suffering little psychological harm. I think places like paignton zoo or longleek are better, as the animals are not in cages as such and more free to roam the facility.

Also, we cant forget the animals that would be more at risk of being hunted or killed in their wild environment which are kept safe in zoos and reserves. Without their care in captivity some animals would have died off.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by carcinoma
What if they were in different subjects?

The Cambridge MA replaces the BA. It is not an earned qualification - a Masters which you actually have to work for at Cambridge is an MPhil.
Reply 4749
Most of those animals were bread in that environment, so its hardly that damaging to them.

Not that I particularly agree, but they know no better so are suffering little psychological harm. I think places like paignton zoo or longleek are better, as the animals are not in cages as such and more free to roam the facility.

Also, we cant forget the animals that would be more at risk of being hunted or killed in their wild environment which are kept safe in zoos and reserves. Without their care in captivity some animals would have died off.

Regardless of being bred in captivity - my point was that I would hate to work in an environment where I know the animals will never reach their full potentials. When you compare the lives of the animals in zoos to the animals in reservations there really can't a question of who is the better off

re: preservation whilst a reasonable point does not justify the number or conditions o many of the zoos which it can't be overlooked are a business. Manu many other schemes are successful in rebreeding/protection in the natural environment.

The question was whther does it not seem like the best job ever? And to me no - I would hate to work in or with a zoo. In addition to the reasons listed it would jus never compare to working in a reserve or rehabilitation in the animals environment and well, I'm just not one for second bests! I don't know whether the fact that I grew up in Tanzania and so my immediate memories of say elephants is one of them siloetted against the serengeti or coweing in my room whilst they stole pineapples from the proch :p: -- seeing them in zoos I can always see how stiffled that life is and maybe it's my head but I feel like I can see it in the animal too. Going to a zoo was never fun for me, it is just sad :frown:

obv. just my thoughts. can kind of see why pepole without m experie would want to. i guess its cooler than hamsters.

sorry for bad spelling etc - on phone which current had a cracked screen so can only see half of it... Roll on payday so o can finally get it fixed lol!
(edited 12 years ago)

I was at a zoo yesterday and there was a tiger talk thing and they were talking about this sort of thing. Six tigers were released back into the wild a few years ago and they are now all dead (not by natural causes). They were tagged so they could be kept track of.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by n1r4v
Skimming through some medical books, is it me or does neurology (and optho and psych to some extent) look infinitely more interesting than anything else?

Though apparently actually doing neurology sucks :holmes:

I think I would rather crawl up and die than study psych for another moment. Unfortunately, I've got a whole **** storm of the stuff in my second semester.
Original post by n1r4v
Haha is it really that bad? I think I have an affinity to them simply because of their connection to neuroscience but I fear the subject matter will end up being a lot more crappy.

The only connection that contemporary psychiatry has to neuro is nothing but pseudoscience. Come the time when neuroscience/neurology can account for psychiatric symptoms, what will happen to psychiatry? Bye bye.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by n1r4v

Original post by n1r4v
Skimming through some medical books, is it me or does neurology (and optho and psych to some extent) look infinitely more interesting than anything else?

Just you :lolwut:

They are possibly the 3 subjects I'm looking forward to the least.....
Original post by crazylemon
The nervous system is stupidly complex with vast quantities of feedback loops and connections with millions of ways it can go wrong. I don't find it interesting and this complexity thus upsets me.

Plus of course, no matter how fascinating a lot of it might be (and I have to say I don't often think it is), most of the time there's not much you can do for many of your patients.
Reply 4755
So, you're got this amazingly esoteric, quaternery centre diagnosis. Here, have some steroids/ivIg.
Original post by n1r4v

Original post by n1r4v
He also started describing neurological examinations and how coma-inducingly boring they get.

I like testing reflexes :colondollar:
Reply 4757
Original post by n1r4v
I thought it was quite fun too!

Do you know which medical specialties are considered to have the most variety / interesting? The impression I'm getting is... not many.

Anaesthetics is awesome :teeth: (though I'm sure a lot of people consider it boring 90% of the time :p:)
Original post by Hygeia
Anaesthetics is awesome :teeth: (though I'm sure a lot of people consider it boring 90% of the time :p:)

Anaesthetics is definitely something that I am looking forward to experiencing. I generally like the look of ACCS.
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Anaesthetics is definitely something that I am looking forward to experiencing. I generally like the look of ACCS.

Anaesthetics and expecially intensive care medicine makes me far too happy.

Latest