The Student Room Group

Amy Winehouse deserved to die?

I have seen this far too many times on mainly social websites such as facebook & other websites such as youtube. I find it beyond disgraceful. People branding Amy Winehouse as a 'filthy f*cking smack head' fair enough, she took drugs, she drank too much alcohol...but she did this to herself, she was not an evil person, she was not a child molester, a rapist, or a murderer, she was simply a young lady with great talent who sadly wasted her life away, she DID NOT deserve to die. I also find it disgusting how when Ryan Dunn died (which was also a sad loss) he was branded a 'legend' & I did not see one bad comment against him even though he was drinking & driving which caused the crash...which also caused the passenger to die, his foolish actions took anothers life, i'm not saying Ryan Dunn deserved to die but the way he was worshiped was totally wrong. R.I.P Amy Winehouse, such a talented young lady.

Scroll to see replies

Oooh you have the same name :biggrin:

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
She didn't deserve to die, but she certainly was the cause of her own death. She should have listened to everyones advice and just gone to rehab.
Reply 3
Original post by tvdx
She didn't deserve to die, but she certainly was the cause of her own death. She should have listened to everyones advice and just gone to rehab.

She did. Several times.
I don't think anybody lives a junkie lifestyle for s**ts and giggles...
Rebecca Brooks is touched by all the kind messages left on Amy Winehouse's voicemail.
Reply 6
Well I suppose she did deserve to die in that she effectively killed herself? If I hit myself on the head with a rock then I deserve to get a bruise (or worse).

Not saying I am glad she is dead, or that people should be celebrating it, but it was her our damn fault. I have a lot more time for the millions who die from causes completely out of their control.
She definitely didn't deserve to die, I 100% agree with you. She was a talented young lady who just went down the wrong path in life and I give her credit for trying to give up the drugs and alcohol when she had entered rehab those couple of times she did go. Addictions are hard to beat and unfortunately this addiction won over on her. RIP Amy.
Every death is a tragedy. Why this is any more than a private issue for her family though is frankly a sad indictment of our culture.
Reply 9
I dont have much sympathy for her either, I feel sympathy for her main fans, friends & family though, It is a shame as she could of been saved, but like you said, she chose not to be, several times.
Original post by aimee1098
I have seen this far too many times on mainly social websites such as facebook & other websites such as youtube. I find it beyond disgraceful. People branding Amy Winehouse as a 'filthy f*cking smack head' fair enough, she took drugs, she drank too much alcohol...but she did this to herself, she was not an evil person, she was not a child molester, a rapist, or a murderer, she was simply a young lady with great talent who sadly wasted her life away, she DID NOT deserve to die. I also find it disgusting how when Ryan Dunn died (which was also a sad loss) he was branded a 'legend' & I did not see one bad comment against him even though he was drinking & driving which caused the crash...which also caused the passenger to die, his foolish actions took anothers life, i'm not saying Ryan Dunn deserved to die but the way he was worshiped was totally wrong. R.I.P Amy Winehouse, such a talented young lady.

I see what you did there. Controversial title to drag the masses in
Reply 11
Original post by tvdx

She went to rehab on multiple occasions. This just shows that dan addiction is not an easy thing to kick.
Reply 12
She didn't deserve to die, but she certainly had it coming to her with the lifestyle she was leading.
I didn't like her and I don't think she was talented, nor did I like her drug habit or anything else about her. But I would never say she deserved to die - very few people deserve to die, and Amy Winehouse was not one of them.
Reply 14
Original post by Antonia87
She did. Several times.

Even Her dad said she was responsible for her 'ways' since she had many opportunities to kick them. Let's face it, she had the best support any addict could afford - People living on the streets manage to kick their habits cold turkey, some drinking 600 units a week. This is where I feel Amy deserves some criticism, if indeed her death was the result of cumulative drug abuse, as oppossed to a bad batch, in which case she may have been making good progress, but I don't know.

Another point is that she apparently found it hard to cope with fame. That could be an excuse, but I don't know. Surely an entertainer revels in the spotlight.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Fusion
Even Her dad said she was responsible for her 'ways' since she had many opportunities to kick them. Let's face it, she had the best support any addict could afford - People living on the streets manage to kick their habits cold turkey, some drinking 600 units a week. This is where I feel Amy deserves some criticism, if indeed her death was the result of cumulative drug abuse, as oppossed to a bad batch, in which case she may have been making good progress, but I don't know.

Another point is that she apparently found it hard to cope with fame. That could be an excuse, but I don't know.

As I said in another thread, if it was about money and that kind of support, then Brittany Murphy, Anna Nicole Smith, River Phoenix, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain and the dozens and dozens of other wealthy, popular people wouldnt have fallen either. But they did. I guess sometimes, it desnt matter how much support you have.
Original post by aimee1098

thats kinda harsh. no one deserves to die. she had an severe addiction. have you ever had one? you dont know what its like. and yes, neither do i, but from what i can see it's extremely hard to pull yourself out of it. like a complete lifestyle change. those are hard to change as well, when you're sooo used to living in a certain way. if you're loaded and can probs get drugs from whoever, whereever and whenever as long as you have the money and the fame, people will give you anything. i guess she had no reason, or the right people around her, to make her want to change.
Reply 17
Original post by Antonia87
As I said in another thread, if it was about money and that kind of support, then Brittany Murphy, Anna Nicole Smith, River Phoenix, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain and the dozens and dozens of other wealthy, popular people wouldnt have fallen either. But they did. I guess sometimes, it desnt matter how much support you have.

I've read about the '27 club', it just makes me think whether there's some kind of glamour to drug abuse and an early death among certain genre's of celebs.

Also, if you'r on drugs, you'll surround yourself with bad people, people who'll have a vested interest in your habit.
I don't think she deserved to die. Yes, she might have destroyed her own lifestyle with what she's done, but she's done good things too. The way she selflessly supported her goddaughter Dionne Bromfield is one thing that sticks in my mind when I think of Amy because it's an absolutely lovely thing to do.

What I actually find sickening (and something I've seen on Facebook) is when people say 'I'm glad she's dead, her music is awful'. Now THAT'S disgusting. You don't enjoy someone's death because you don't like their music.
Reply 19
Who cares? People die gtfover it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending