The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Welsh Leprecaun
Anyone seen Captain America yet? If so, how is it?

Just watched it. Great film but not amazing.
Reply 3641
The X-Men: First Class theme that I posted on my other post is so badass, I was listening to it again this morning. The composer for the film (Henry Jackman) is mentored by Hans Zimmer :cool:

Anyway I think I'm going to give The Town a watch today, unless I find something better to watch whilst I work through my watchlist on IMDB :holmes:
I'm going to try and get around to updating that IMDB leaderboard thread sometime soon. So much work to maintain though.
Just back from Captain America. So much fun, one of the best super hero movies out. Chris Evans is really good, especially before his transformation.
Reply 3644
Original post by Deshi

Spoiler

Clearly still an apprentice
Reply 3645
Original post by Hothouse
Clearly still an apprentice

Whaaat? It was awesome imo.

Anyway I just watched The Town. A really good film, Ben Affleck doesn't disappoint when he's directing, I was a big fan of Gone Baby Gone when it came out as well. The cast was top notch. I watched the extended cut and it definitely didn't feel like 2 and a half hours, really enjoyed it.

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3646
Original post by Deshi
Whaaat? It was awesome imo.

Listen to it alongside POC theme, The Rock theme, Blackhawk Down and Gladiator themes, and re-evaluate its awesomeness.
Reply 3647
Listen to it alongside POC theme, The Rock theme, Blackhawk Down and Gladiator themes, and re-evaluate its awesomeness.

What are you trying to get at here? That my opinion is wrong?

I'm a huge fan of film scores and think that one is pretty good, I don't see why I need to re-evaluate anything.
Reply 3648
Original post by Deshi
What are you trying to get at here? That my opinion is wrong?

I'm a huge fan of film scores and think that one is pretty good, I don't see why I need to re-evaluate anything.

That on the scale of film score epicability (0-Ennio Morricone), X-men FC ranks at 5.LOTR, over 2 arbitrary units behind awesome.

Opinions are subjective. :wink:
Reply 3650
Original post by Madjackismad
Opinions are subjective. :wink:

The opinion, "white noise is more pleasurable to listen to than Beethoven" shows us that some opinions can be objectively dismissed as incorrect.
Reply 3651
That on the scale of film score epicability (0-Ennio Morricone), X-men FC ranks at 5.LOTR, over 2 arbitrary units behind awesome.

Yeah great. If you could read you would find that I said the soundtrack was "pretty good" and that I found that particular theme that I posted "badass" and "awesome". And you're reading way too much into the fact that I used the word "awesome", which if you look at my last 5/6 posts on this thread, you'd find that it's a word I use to describe pretty much anything I like. Now stop being a pretentious douchebag.
The opinion, "white noise is more pleasurable to listen to than Beethoven" shows us that some opinions can be objectively dismissed as incorrect.

Have you heard of "Different strokes for different folks"? I have a feeling you've not, you can still admire a soundtrack grounded in a different genre of music than one created using an orchestra. Please, shrink your head and take this ruler.
http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/118/1185132p1.html

There was a video where you could see him performing but I can't see it anymore.
Reply 3654
Going to see the new Studio Ghiblio film, Arriety, tomorrow. It will actually be the first time I've been to the cinema this year. :redface:
Captain America was a fairly enjoyable film but not the strongest superhero entry this year. It was definitely better than Green Lantern but I think First Class and Thor edge this one out, quite considerably. A lot of the action scenes felt lacking and there wasn't a lot of emphasis on the abilities and limits of the Captain than there really could have been. The plot and the villain was a letdown. The 1940s era was refreshing in a superhero film. Oh and a solid performance by Chris Evans.

I really liked the ending. Could have been a little more poignant though. It did get me excited to see how the Captain would fit into the Avengers

Spoiler

Also regarding the Cube…

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Pi!
Going to see the new Studio Ghiblio film, Arriety, tomorrow. It will actually be the first time I've been to the cinema this year. :redface:

Me too, I'm really excited! I grew up reading The Borrowers books, so I'm interested to see their interpretation of it.
None of the cinemas near me show the subtitled version though, just the dubbed. I've found that dubbed voiceovers are always rubbish, the voices they use never match the characters as well as the original voices did (in terms of pitch, tone, etc). Ah well.
Reply 3657
Original post by angelbones
Me too, I'm really excited! I grew up reading The Borrowers books, so I'm interested to see their interpretation of it.
None of the cinemas near me show the subtitled version though, just the dubbed. I've found that dubbed voiceovers are always rubbish, the voices they use never match the characters as well as the original voices did (in terms of pitch, tone, etc). Ah well.

I wish they would subtitle them for cinema release because then they could probably release them quicker.
Original post by Pi!
I wish they would subtitle them for cinema release because then they could probably release them quicker.

Yeah. But then you'd probably get people griping that it was subtitled and their kids not understanding what was going on :rolleyes:
Reply 3659
Original post by Deshi
Yeah great. If you could read you would find that I said the soundtrack was "pretty good" and that I found that particular theme that I posted "badass" and "awesome". And you're reading way too much into the fact that I used the word "awesome", which if you look at my last 5/6 posts on this thread, you'd find that it's a word I use to describe pretty much anything I like. Now stop being a pretentious douchebag.

Bro chill out. It was a joke, of sorts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending