The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

Current Students of BCU - would you rate BCU as a good university to go to?

SO many mixed messages and this will probably cause more. What's putting me off is the supposed 'bad reputation' and the mouse infestations at the accommodation (I have a big phobia of rodents lool)
Having lived and studied at this uni for a couple of months or years would you rate this uni or if you had the chance to would you of applied somewhere else?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I'm just finishing my first year at BCu so I'll share my experience.

First of all it completely depends on your course. BCU get's mixed reviews because it excels in certain area's and bombs in others. If you're doing anything art / theatre / music related then GO TO BCU. However if you're doing business, criminology etc, I would suggest keeping your options open to other universities.

From my experience being on the Bournville and Gosta Green campus I can tel you the university facilities and area are lovely. Local accommodation (Opal and Jennens Court) are very nice and not rat infested and the teachers are very helpful. My experience may be more positive then others as I study Visual Communication, which being an art related subject means I get alot more facilities and teacher attention then say criminology students. (supposedly)

Finally, I have visited Jennens Court, Opal One, The Coppice, Hamsted Campus and Oscott Gardens and I have seen no rats or rodents in ANY of them. No smell, no traces, no scratches. nothing. That being said the Hamsted 6 bedroom flats were terrifying, they were cold, small, dark and haunting. There is also a rumour that the Hamsted halls are haunted. Ending on a positive. Enjoy BCU!
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Omgggggggg rat infestation :O I should have done my research,BCU is my firm and Oscott is my first choice for accom :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Original post by JaiiStarh
Omgggggggg rat infestation :O I should have done my research,BCU is my firm and Oscott is my first choice for accom :s-smilie:

Oscott apparently has rats and the Coppice has a BIG problem with mice sightings in the kitchens and bedrooms of many of the students.

You should be ok as long as you make sure your student rooms and living areas are clean and food isn't left out. Make it clear to your fellow flat mates and you should hopefully be rodent-free.

Having said that I have a BIG phobia of rodents, so I'd find it very hard to cope with lol.
Reply 4
Original post by mattielynch

First of all it completely depends on your course. BCU get's mixed reviews because it excels in certain area's and bombs in others. If you're doing anything art / theatre / music related then GO TO BCU. However if you're doing business, criminology etc, I would suggest keeping your options open to other universities.

From my experience being on the Bournville and Gosta Green campus I can tel you the university facilities and area are lovely. Local accommodation (Opal and Jennens Court) are very nice and not rat infested and the teachers are very helpful. My experience may be more positive then others as I study Visual Communication, which being an art related subject means I get alot more facilities and teacher attention then say criminology students. (supposedly)

Finally, I have visited Jennens Court, Opal One, The Coppice, Hamsted Campus and Oscott Gardens and I have seen no rats or rodents in ANY of them. No smell, no traces, no scratches. nothing. That being said the Hamsted 6 bedroom flats were terrifying, they were cold, small, dark and haunting. There is also a rumour that the Hamsted halls are haunted. Ending on a positive. Enjoy BCU!

Thanks :smile: I have friends at the Coppice and Oscott who have had a lot of problems first hand with rodents so this is how I know of this issue :smile:

Yeah my course is similar to yours - 'Media and Communications' however it's on the Perry Barr campus. I suppose it's great for that again and I'm looking for that greater teacher support defiantly :smile:

How did you get into the uni? Via College or A-Level grades? And do you find there's a stigma to the degree and the place you study it. I am already finding this LOL :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Original post by sophiekatina
Thanks :smile: I have friends at the Coppice and Oscott who have had a lot of problems first hand with rodents so this is how I know of this issue :smile:

Yeah my course is similar to yours - 'Media and Communications' however it's on the Perry Barr campus. I suppose it's great for that again and I'm looking for that greater teacher support defiantly :smile:

How did you get into the uni? Via College or A-Level grades? And do you find there's a stigma to the degree and the place you study it. I am already finding this LOL :s-smilie:

Oh right. Will you be at the Hamsted accommodation next year then? I've just booked my room there for September.

BCU is 'apparantlly' the best for support. Check this out

Well yeah Arts a tricky one. I had the UCAS points to get in, but to do any subject in Gosta Green you had to have a foundation diploma. So I'm living at home at the moment travelling to Bournville campus everyday to do their diploma to get in to my degree.... despite already having the UCAS points to get in. But the Bournville campus is awesome, so no complaining :smile: I had my interview a few months ago and got an unconditional.

Yeah theres definitely some people who don't appreciate degrees that consist of drawing pictures for 3 years. For any thing art related my defense is simple to look around your room to see everything is art. ( your pens = product design, your poster = illustration, your painting = fine art, your clothes = fashion etc) Art is alot more important then people credit it to be.

Definitely a stigma towards BCU. Lets be honest, it's not exactly Oxford, Nottingham, Sheffield or the other 50 universities' in between. Everyone on my foundation diploma knows BCU isn't the best (It is rising though, very, very slowly) so when asked where we go all of us reply BIAD (Birmingham Institute of Art and Design) instead of BCU. The reputation of BIAD is much better then the overall rep of BCU so its handy that our campus has its own institue name haha
Hmmmm... I'm doing Midwifery. Applied for Edgebaston as top accomodation choice,don't suppose you know anything about that?
Reply 7
Oh right. Will you be at the Hamsted accommodation next year then? I've just booked my room there for September.

BCU is 'apparantlly' the best for support. Check this out

Well yeah Arts a tricky one. I had the UCAS points to get in, but to do any subject in Gosta Green you had to have a foundation diploma. So I'm living at home at the moment travelling to Bournville campus everyday to do their diploma to get in to my degree.... despite already having the UCAS points to get in. But the Bournville campus is awesome, so no complaining :smile: I had my interview a few months ago and got an unconditional.

Yeah theres definitely some people who don't appreciate degrees that consist of drawing pictures for 3 years. For any thing art related my defense is simple to look around your room to see everything is art. ( your pens = product design, your poster = illustration, your painting = fine art, your clothes = fashion etc) Art is alot more important then people credit it to be.

Definitely a stigma towards BCU. Lets be honest, it's not exactly Oxford, Nottingham, Sheffield or the other 50 universities' in between. Everyone on my foundation diploma knows BCU isn't the best (It is rising though, very, very slowly) so when asked where we go all of us reply BIAD (Birmingham Institute of Art and Design) instead of BCU. The reputation of BIAD is much better then the overall rep of BCU so its handy that our campus has its own institue name haha

Heyyy,
I was planning to apply for the foundation course at BCU..
How do you like the course?
do you get tutor time?
Are you having a good time?
How is the place and what are the best places for accommodation?
Sorry for the million questions but i am actually scared as I have heard bad things about this uni :/
xxx
Reply 8
Original post by monica8
Heyyy,
I was planning to apply for the foundation course at BCU..
How do you like the course?
do you get tutor time?
Are you having a good time?
How is the place and what are the best places for accommodation?
Sorry for the million questions but i am actually scared as I have heard bad things about this uni :/
xxx

Hi! The course is really good, I love it and from what I know everyone else does to. Its a nice area, there is all the facilities you need, tutors are motivating etc. yes we get tutor time. I'm in the visual communication class atm and we get assessed at the end of each term. on top of that anyone in the class can get assessed / ask for help whenever they want. (i usual ask for my tutor to look at my work twice a week) our tutor also keeps in contact through email as-well and will send out mass emails to all of us with relevant artists, exhibits or articles.
i keep referring to the tutor as 'our tutor' just because other tutors may not act like this. although after spending week long workshops with all of them at the start of the year i can guarantee at least 6 of the 8 tutors would help their students 24/7.

the place is really nice. the foundation is on the bournville campus, google bournville if you want to see it, its a lovely, leafy model village. the atmosphere inside is nice, students are friendly etc etc

the closest accomadation is Opal 1, its a bus jouney away. i dont stay there but about 50% of bournville students do. other students are in jennens court, studen housing or living at home. Opal 1 is very nice but ive heard people complaing about the noise, its on a busy city roundabout which isnt to good.

Bcu is an ok university, its art department is definitely its strongest quality. That being said theres about 20 other universities around the UK that are better then BCU for art.
If you plan on going to university dont worry about your foundatin course to much, you dont have to stay at BCU for your degree. I'm staying at BCU next year for my degree because of the facilities, company placments and location. although reputation is important its not everything.

very sorry for all th grammer and spelling mistakes in this reply! im in a bit of a rush.
i hope i answered all your questions, if not feel free to quote me again and ill answer anyremaing questions! :smile: cheers
Reply 9
Hi! The course is really good, I love it and from what I know everyone else does to. Its a nice area, there is all the facilities you need, tutors are motivating etc. yes we get tutor time. I'm in the visual communication class atm and we get assessed at the end of each term. on top of that anyone in the class can get assessed / ask for help whenever they want. (i usual ask for my tutor to look at my work twice a week) our tutor also keeps in contact through email as-well and will send out mass emails to all of us with relevant artists, exhibits or articles.
i keep referring to the tutor as 'our tutor' just because other tutors may not act like this. although after spending week long workshops with all of them at the start of the year i can guarantee at least 6 of the 8 tutors would help their students 24/7.

the place is really nice. the foundation is on the bournville campus, google bournville if you want to see it, its a lovely, leafy model village. the atmosphere inside is nice, students are friendly etc etc

the closest accomadation is Opal 1, its a bus jouney away. i dont stay there but about 50% of bournville students do. other students are in jennens court, studen housing or living at home. Opal 1 is very nice but ive heard people complaing about the noise, its on a busy city roundabout which isnt to good.

Bcu is an ok university, its art department is definitely its strongest quality. That being said theres about 20 other universities around the UK that are better then BCU for art.
If you plan on going to university dont worry about your foundatin course to much, you dont have to stay at BCU for your degree. I'm staying at BCU next year for my degree because of the facilities, company placments and location. although reputation is important its not everything.

very sorry for all th grammer and spelling mistakes in this reply! im in a bit of a rush.
i hope i answered all your questions, if not feel free to quote me again and ill answer anyremaing questions! :smile: cheers

Heyy,
thank youu soo muchh :smile:
xxxx
Reply 10

i got into bcu for fashion retail management, but i wanna switch to visual communications, could i do that? or do you know anything bout doing that? :s :smile:

what other unis would you say are better for arts?

thanks so much for this info btw, helped a lot :smile:
xx
Reply 11
Hey :smile:
Ive just finished my first year at BCU on the perry barr campus at oscott gardens, and Im not gonna lie, the was a rat outside our front door :frown: but infested with them might be an overreaction as that's the only time Ive seen one.
I wouldn't rate this campus much, there's much better unis Ive visited, but I'm moving to the Edgebaston campus in my second year as my course is moving so I'm hoping this will be good! Ive sorted private accommodation so hopefully it should be okay :smile:
BCU isnt bad, but I dont think I'd reccomend it to people...
The lecturers are really helpful (on my course anyway) but I assume theyre good on other courses! There isn't lots of societies that Ive seen but theres plenty to do in the evening, and it helps if you have a car or someone who does :smile:
How many times a week do business students have lectures in the morning?
Reply 13
I study Mechanical Engineering at BCU, the City Centre (Millennium point) campus. Done with my first year and shall be starting the second year in September. I would say that the University is a great place and the courses are good for Engineering. I have no idea about the rest of the courses. If you're going for business and law, I would suggest you look at Aston and Birmingham Uni. For Engineering though Birmingham Uni would be the first choice, BCU the second and Aston would be the last. Aston isn't that good for Engineering really.
Reply 14
Any one know what the computing courses are like? im going to be studying computer networks and security
Reply 15
Original post by owenmurr
Any one know what the computing courses are like? im going to be studying computer networks and security

MSC? I'm doing Data Networks & Security!
Reply 16
Original post by Strider_
MSC? I'm doing Data Networks & Security!

naaa the BSc

So we will be around the same building :L
Reply 17
how is BCU for an MBA
Reply 18

Hi there. I am Siew Fong from Malaysia. I am doing credits transfer for final year in Visual Communication with Illustration. Thanks for your information.
Reply 19
Original post by Seefour
I study Mechanical Engineering at BCU, the City Centre (Millennium point) campus. Done with my first year and shall be starting the second year in September. I would say that the University is a great place and the courses are good for Engineering. I have no idea about the rest of the courses. If you're going for business and law, I would suggest you look at Aston and Birmingham Uni. For Engineering though Birmingham Uni would be the first choice, BCU the second and Aston would be the last. Aston isn't that good for Engineering really.

Hi, I am an international student transferring to BCU this September and starting my second year in electronic engineering. It would be really helpful if you could give me a review on the engineering department as I am really nervous about the style of teaching and lecturers. There aren't much people I could find doing an engineering course at BCU so it would help me a lot on this. Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending