1 onion
3 garlic cloves
1 chilli (or less if you're wet)
I tsp of mustard seeds
2oz brown sugar
50ml soy sauce
300ml ketchup
salt and pepper

Finely chop the onion and garlic and lightly soften in a pan with some olive oil
Add the chopped chilli for another few minutes and long with the mustard seeds
Add the sugar and stir it with the other ingredients till it starts to get sticky
Add the soy sauce and then the ketchup
Stir well untill it starts to bubble and thicken

From there you can either let it cool and bottle it to use as a table sauce or use it to marinade and coat meat, i like it on chicken thighs and baked in the oven until its sticky :coma:

Tried this tonight, really nice! Even my boyfriend (who is the fussiest 20-year-old you'll ever meet) liked it :smile:
Reply 401
Original post by SoapyDish
Tried this tonight, really nice! Even my boyfriend (who is the fussiest 20-year-old you'll ever meet) liked it :smile:

I'm glad you liked it :biggrin:
Reply 402
My lunchtime hot n sweet pasta

Makes enough for four/five days
X1 chicken breast cut into small chunks but works just as well with leftovers
500g ish of pasta (i like the stuff with the holes in so the sauce gets in there
x2 cans of toms
x1 small carton of passata
x1 onion
x3 garlic cloves
x1 tbls white wine vinegar
x1 tbls red wine vinegar
X1 tbls chilli flakes (you can add more or less to taste, i like it quite spicy!)
x1 tbls basil (dry)
x1 tbls oregano
X1 tbls sugar

Mince the onion and garlic in a blender or chop finely and put into a warm pan with some olive oil
Cook till soft
Add the toms and passata stirring to get the onion mixture mixed in
Add the other ingredients excluding chicken and pasta
Put water on the boil and add pasta
Whilst you are doing this add the chicken into the sauce so "poach" it.
Add the cooked pasta and stir through well
Leave to cool then put into your tupperware dishes for the week and leave in fridge.
I like these cold but you can zap them if you have access to the microwave.
I made duck in pineapple sauce today, and it was yummy! Here's the recipe for the duck and sauce, you can add whatever accompaniment you like, but I recommend boiled rice and pak choi!

Duck in pineapple sauce

Ingredients:
1 Crown of Duck
1 tablespoon of Soy sauce
1 teapsoon of olive oil
1 teaspoon of either dry red wine or rice wine vinegar
1 teapsoon of ground ginger
1 teaspoon of five spice
1 finely chopped clove of garlic
1 chopped green chilli
1 juice of lemon
1 can of pineapple chunks
1 teaspoon of honey/golden syrup

1. Place the crown of duck in a large container, pierce several times with a sharp knife and cover with boiling water. Leave the duck to stand like this for five minutes, before disposing of the water. This will help to melt a bit of the fat and crispen the skin.

2. For the marinade: mix the soy sauce, olive oil, rice wine vinegar, giner, garlic, chilli and lemon juice and use it to base the duck. Leave the duck to stand in the fridge for 1 hour.

3. Prop the duck on top of a wire rack in a bakin tray. Place in an pre heated oven (gas mark 7) for 40 minutes.

4. For the sauce, blend the pineapple chunks with honey/golden syrup. You can add a tea spoon of rice wine vinegar to give it a little 'perk.' Once blended, heat up in a pan.

5. Take the duck out of the oven, and carve into two sizeable breast fillets. Smother with the pineapple sauce and serve on a bed of boiled rice and pak choi.
Reply 404
Maybe someone in this thread can help me, I have a large bag of mixed nuts sitting the cupboard (walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, Brazil nuts) and I want to do something with them before they expire. Does anyone have a recipe/idea of how I can use them? I could eat them raw but I don't really fancy doing that, I'd rather make something sweet with them like a cake/bar of some kind. Any ideas? :dontknow:
Original post by Cybele
Maybe someone in this thread can help me, I have a large bag of mixed nuts sitting the cupboard (walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, Brazil nuts) and I want to do something with them before they expire. Does anyone have a recipe/idea of how I can use them? I could eat them raw but I don't really fancy doing that, I'd rather make something sweet with them like a cake/bar of some kind. Any ideas? :dontknow:

Chocolate brownies?
Or you could caramelise them (like this) and have them as a nibbly snack. I've never tried making my own but they sell these warm from little vendors in London during the winter - amazing!
Reply 406
Original post by Cybele

You could use them on a fruit cake, in a brownie or roughly chop and add to a breakfast flapjack?
Reply 407
Philly Beef Stroganoff

250g sirloin steak, in strips.
75g Philadelphia (or any sort of soft cheese)
110g baby mushrooms, halved.
120ml white wine
1/2 onion, finely chopped
Dijon Mustard
Sunflower Oil

- Heat oil in pan, fry onions, brown the meat and add mushrooms.
- Add white wine and reduce.
- Stir in 1.5 tsp dijon mustard and the philadelphia, until smooth.
- Serve with rice and fresh vegetables. (I quite like using green beans with the stroganoff in this recipe)
Reply 408
Also, one of my favourite desserts - I'm a self confessed chocaholic :smile:

Cinammon and Nutella Cake

175g soft butter
175g golden caster sugar
200g self raising flour
3 eggs
1tbsp baking powder
2tbsp cinammon (but I tend to use just a tad less)
4tbsp milk
4 heaped tbsp Nutella or cheap-ass hazelnut spread
50g hazelnuts (optional, of course...but great for decoration and crunch)

- Grease a cake tin and preheat the oven to gas mark 4 / 180 celsius
-Mix butter, eggs, sugar, flour, baking powder, cinammon and milk in a bowl.
- Beat the mixture until light and fluffy
- Spoon the mixture into the cake tin.
- Spoon tablespoons of Nutella into the mixture and swirl them all around (quite important otherwise big globs of the chocolate melt, then sink, and then burn at the bottom. 4tbsps should be enough, but I put into loads :awesome:)
- Mix in some hazelnuts and leave some on top for decoration.
- Bake for around an hour until golden brown.

I would keep a check on the mixture though, made this once and after 45 mins it looked ready - kinda depends how good your oven is, I suppose :tongue:
just cooked a random massive vegetarian curry i have never done before and i have used ingredients i dont even know what they are mum just had some vegetables :o: probbably aubergine:s-smilie: and some other green veg anyway i added garlic, ginger, tomatoes, chillies[about 7 like it hot], onions, oils, salt, the vegetables unknown and peas frozen, spices: paprica, variation of curry spices, haldi yellowpwder didnt really need that, tandoori a bit dont need it, and others. lets see how it tastes never done it before:p: slow cooking for an hour :s-smilie:
Reply 410
Barbeque type pork

This is a bit of an ad-hoc recipe made because I wanted to get rid of a load of smoked paprika that I found and had bought a cheap reduced price pork tenderloin that needed cooking quickly.

Ingredients:
- Pork tenderloin
- 2 carrots
- 2 Sticks celery
- 1 medium onion
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- 2 or three bell peppers
- Smoked Paprika
- Sunflower oil or similar
- Cinnamon
- Sugar (preferably brown but white is fine)
- Salt and Pepper
- Vinegar

Recipe:
- Rub the Pork tenderloin with cinnamon and sugar and grill under a fairly high heat for 5-10 minutes.
- Dice the onion and celery as finely as possible and fry them under a low heat until translucent. Chop the carrots into thin slices and the peppers into coarse strips and add these to the frying pan until softened.
- Transfer the contents of the frying pan to a larger pan and add tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and pepper, a good four or five tablespoons of vinegar and a liberal dose of smoked paprika to taste (I think I used about a quarter of a standard sized spice jar)
- Slice the pork into thick chunks and throw them into the pot.
- Cook on a low heat until reduced to the desired consistency (I left it for about thirty minutes or so)

Tasted fairly decent with some rice - your mileage may vary.

The cinammon and sugar coated grilled pork sounds wierd but I had something similar at a barbecue that tasted pretty good and it tasted pretty good even on its own.
:shock: subbing to this thread!! :biggrin:
I made chicken Katsu curry today, It was very delectable. The recipe I used was an adapted version of one I found on 'The Good Food Channel' website. The original can be found here: http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/517299

Mine is a bit spicier and less sweet. I skipped out on the tomato sauce and honey, replacing them with cumin, garam masala and ginger. A pinch of cinnamon can also work quite well, without making it too sickly sweet.

Chicken Katsu Curry (Serves 2)

For the Sauce:
1 tablespoon of Olive Oil
700ml of boiling water
2 cloves of garlic
1 onion
2 red apples (cored and diced, they don’t have to be peeled)
2 chopped bananas
1.5 tsp of turmeric
2 tsp of madras powder
1 tsp of cumin
0.5 tsp of garam masala
0.5 tsp of ground ginger
0.5 tsp of black ground pepper
1 chicken oxo cube/other brand of chicken stock cube
1 tsp of cornflour
1 peeled and finely chopped carrot

For the chicken:
2 skinless chicken breasts (if quite chunky, chop in half horizontally to make 4 smaller breasts)
100g of plain flour
2 eggs, beaten
150g of breadcrumbs, panko if possible (they’ve started selling packets in Tesco)
300ml of cooking oil (choice is yours!)

1. Add the oil to a wok and sauté the chopped garlic and oil. After a couple of minutes, add the apple and bananas. Fry for another 2 minutes before adding the boiling water, turmeric, cumin, garam masala, ginger and pepper. Crumble in the chicken stock cube and stir well. Allow the mixture to simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

2. Over another frying pan, strain the sauce through a colander or sieve to remove any chunky solid bits. Add the chopped carrots and fry on a medium heat for 10 minutes. Add the cornflour and stir quickly (to avoid icky clumpy bits), heat up for another 5 minutes.

3. To prepare the chicken, make couple of slits in the breasts and coat in flour. Dip the breasts in the beaten egg and coat in the breadcrumbs.

4. Add the 300ml of oil to a wok and heat up to high temperature. Deep fry the breasts for 6 minutes (until a golden brown).

5. Carve the chicken into strips and smother in the sexual sauce. Serve with rice or noodles, or whatever floats your floats your boat. Lock yourself in your bedroom and do unspeakable things to it... Like, erm, eating it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 413
great
Reply 414
great work
Chocolate Drop Cupcakes (Black Bottoms)

Recipe Ingredients

1 8-oz pkg cream cheese
1 large egg
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1 cup mini–chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup canola oil
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup water

Recipe Preparation

Note: Allow cream cheese to soften and eggs to warm up to room temperature before starting.

Heat oven to 350°F. Line mini-muffin tins with paper liners.
First Bowl;

cream cheese,

egg,

1/3 cup of the sugar

1/4 tsp of the salt

Using an electric mixer, beat in a large bowl until creamy; stir in the chocolatechips.

Second Bowl;
whisk together;

flour,

cocoa,

baking soda,

remaining cup of sugar

1/2 tsp salt.

Add the oil, vinegar, vanilla and 1 cup water, and mix until fully incorporated.

Spoon enough of the chocolate batter into each cup so that they are filled halfway (about 2 level tsp each). Top each with a rounded tsp of the cream cheese mixture, gently spreading it over the chocolate.
Bake until the cupcakes are puffed and barely golden, 15 to 20 minutes.

Note; This recipe unfortunatly yields more chocolate batter than cheesecake, even when doubling the ingredients. So plan on having extra chocolate only cupcakes or you can get creative such as adding a little peanut butter, like I did. Or you could add fruit jam or raisins perhaps. Anything you think would be nice with chocolate.
(edited 12 years ago)
Storecupboard Brownies

Most brownie recipes use chocolate and butter, which can be a pain if you suddenly get the urge to bake and don't have those ingredients. These brownies use cocoa powder and vegetable oil instead, which you're much more likely to have around. They're also really quick and easy to make - you don't need an electric whisk or any other equipment, just a big mixing bowl and a tray to bake them in.

Ingredients:

2 eggs

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1 tsp vanilla essence

1 1/3 cups sugar

1/2 cup cocoa

1 1/4 cups plain flour

1/4 tsp salt

Method:

Beat the eggs until slightly frothy

Add the oil and vanilla, and mix well

Add the sugar and cocoa, and mix well

Add the flour and salt, and mix well

Pour into a greased baking tin (add a little milk if it's too thick)

Bake at 180 degrees C for 22-26 min

I actually found that they needed more like 35 minutes, but I was cooking them in a halogen oven rather than a normal one. It makes around 10 medium-sized brownies, which are gooey on the inside and crisp on the outside.
Reply 417
Charlies Apple Pie

For pastry
10oz plain flour (plus extra for dusting)
5oz Butter/Marg
1tblsp Brown sugar (white is fine)
1 egg

For filling
4 cooking apples
large handful of rasins
splash of brandy or rum (optional)
2tbsp mixed spice
2 tbsp brown sugar
Butter
1 egg for glazing

Preheat the oven to 200oC.

To make the pastry, add all the ingredients into a food processor and blitz till a ball, wrap in cling film and put in the fridge for at least an hour. No food processor? I'd just buy it in a packet :p: Once pastry has rested cut it into two parts, one larger then the other, roll the pastry out and pop it into a pie dish.

The apples need to be peeled, cored and sliced into 3's and 4's the through into a bowl, put the rasins in a microwavable dish, add the alcohol if you are using it and blitz in the microwave for about 2 minutes. If not just put the raisins in with the apples. Add the mixed spice and sugar, give it a good stir with your hands so its all coated and place in the pie dish. Then put knobs of butter over the apple mixture

Apply an egg wash to the outside edge of the pie and then roll out the rest of your pastry and put it on top of the pie. Crimp the edges with your fingers, cut a little cross on the top and then egg wash the rest of the top of the pie, sprinkle a little more sugar on it when done.

Pop in the oven for 35 to 45 minutes untill crisp and golden and serve with cream/custard or ice cream!
Reply 418
Lancashire Hot Pot

I read in the papers yesterday that Betty Driver died yesterday and they had a basic recipe for a Lancashire Hot Pot but I decided to cook my own variation on this classic. Traditionally, you use lamb and kidneys but a common variation is to use black pudding instead. The kidneys or black pudding are really just to thicken up the gravy and either work well.

Ingredients
1.5 pounds of lamb (either shoulder or neck is best but leg is less fatty if you want to watch the calories)
2-3 large slices of black pudding
1 large onion
2-3 sticks of celery
4 carrots
3 large potatoes
stock (chicken, vegetable or preferably - lamb)
worcestershire sauce
rosemary
thyme
butter

Method
1. Preheat oven to 150 celcius
2. Chop the lamb into bitesize pieces and fry in a little oil to seal and set to one side.
3. Chop the onion and dice the carrot and celery and fry in the lamb juice until softened. There will probably be way too much liquid so you may want to drain some or at least skim some fat.
4. Mix together the onion, celery and carrot with the lamb and add the black pudding (uncooked). You could either chop it into chunks or alternatively crumb it into the mixture with your finger tips. Season with salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme.
5. Peel the potatoes and slice into pieces just under half a centimetre thick.
6. Get a large casserole dish (mine was about 3 litres) and line the bottom with a third of the potatoes.
7. Next put half of the lamb and veg mix in, use another third of the potatoes to cover them and then put the rest of the lamb and veg mix on top.
8. Prepare the stock and add a good dash of worcestershire sauce. Add the stock to the casserole dish until it gets to just below the surface of the lamb and veg.
9. Top off the dish with the remaining third of the potatoes, arranged in a spiraling, overlapping pattern. Coat with some melted butter (or oil if you prefer) and then cover the casserole dish and put into the oven at about 150 celcius for around 2 hours.
10. Uncover the casserole dish, add a little more butter (or oil) to the potatoes on top and cook uncovered at around 180 celcius for another half an hour. Basically, you just want to crisp up the potatoes on top.

For full authenticity, serve with some pickled red cabbage or perhaps some piccalilli. If you don't like either of those, it goes just as well with normal boiled green cabbage.
Easiest mushroom soup ever

Ingredients [makes 2 bowls]
300g dried wild mushrooms
2x portabello mushrooms or a few fresh ones
2 pints of boiling water
2 cloves garlic
beef/vegetable stock cube
smoked salt [or normal salt]
dribble of olive oil
sprig of fresh rosemary, or pinch of dried
150ml white wine [for clear soup]
OR
150ml cream [for creamy soup obviously]

Put boiling water over dried mushrooms. Leave for 20 mins, drain and keep the water.
mix half a stock cube with the mushroom water.
thinly chop garlic, and fry in oil until softened. Add dried and chopped fresh mushrooms. Add rosemary, and leave on a medium heat until the mushrooms are cooked.
If using wine, add this to the hot pan to deglaze. If not, use a splash of the mushroomy stocky water. It'll sizzle when you add it.
Pour contents of frying pan into a saucepan. Add mushroom water and cream if using. Blend. Heat.
Add smoked or normal salt + pepper. Seasoning is vital

If you're posh like me add a couple of drops of truffle oil to the top of the soup before serving. If not, never mind.

THE END

Quick Reply

Latest