Should I cut my dad out of my life?

deleted
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Shoot that is long! TLDR PLEASE!
Reply 2
Holy frack that's a lot of words.
Reply 3
ach I know, I didn't know how to condense it. Balls.
This is so similiar to my life atm it's unreal
Have been though VERY similar situation. No do not cut your dad out of your life.
Reply 6
Original post by opinionscount66
Have been though VERY similar situation. No do not cut your dad out of your life.

Really? Does it get any easier? :frown:
Same, although parents were reversed. I cut my Mum out for 2 years, one of the worst things I ever did. It gets easier...slowly and painfully but it does eventually, but it's a mistake to cut him out completely. x
Original post by pinkmoon
Really? Does it get any easier? :frown:

It depends. I never had a close relationship with my dad growing up. He worked away a lot so I was mostly with my mum.

Then it was my MUM who had an affair first with her boss from work and just decided to leave for asia for a few weeks with him. Left us.

Then came back all apologetic so we forgave her and all was good.

Then my dad thought it would be a good idea to go to Thialand and get a thai girlfriend many years his junior who he gave all his money to (refused to help my uni fees) dad moved out left me to live with mum. Dad hardly speaks to us now (seen him maybe twice since christmas) even though hes only down the road.

To add insult to injury I get some bozo add me on facebook yesterday claiming to be 32 year old half brother who my dad fathered years before he was with my mum and just denied out of his life.

Amazingly I haven't seemed to let this bother me. Any of it. I am the sort of person who can just block things out from my head and pretend they are not happening.
Reply 9
Original post by Anna-Jack-Hope
Same, although parents were reversed. I cut my Mum out for 2 years, one of the worst things I ever did. It gets easier...slowly and painfully but it does eventually, but it's a mistake to cut him out completely. x

Two years- must have been difficult for you.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 10
It depends. I never had a close relationship with my dad growing up. He worked away a lot so I was mostly with my mum.

Then it was my MUM who had an affair first with her boss from work and just decided to leave for asia for a few weeks with him. Left us.

Then came back all apologetic so we forgave her and all was good.

Then my dad thought it would be a good idea to go to Thialand and get a thai girlfriend many years his junior who he gave all his money to (refused to help my uni fees) dad moved out left me to live with mum. Dad hardly speaks to us now (seen him maybe twice since christmas) even though hes only down the road.

To add insult to injury I get some bozo add me on facebook yesterday claiming to be 32 year old half brother who my dad fathered years before he was with my mum and just denied out of his life.

Amazingly I haven't seemed to let this bother me. Any of it. I am the sort of person who can just block things out from my head and pretend they are not happening.

Wow, that sounds awful.
(edited 3 years ago)
I've effectively cut my dad out - we both have each other's contact details but we don't contact much, if at all; I've got very little time for him. He had an affair with numeorus women during his marriage to my mum, but was also abusive towards my mum and was never much of a dad to my sister and I, he contacted us when it suited him and treated me like I was five going on thirty - I was expected to cope with and manage things at that age that even adults would struggle with. He walked out sudennly when I was 5 and 1/2, telling me he didn't love my mum anymore, than producing his new girlfriend a week later.

Had no contact from age 7 up - fast forward to 2008, sudden email, asking me to put the past behind and be friends. When I plucked up the courage to ask why he treated us as he did, he told me it was all my mum's fault bla bla bla and that I should run away and abandon my entire life for him and his wife.

I cut him out after the emails he was sending became more and more distressing, they were triggering nightmares and flashbacks, doctor asked me for my safety to ignore him.

I wouldn't say to cut him out just yet - I'd think a good idea would be to take a break from each other, it's bound to be difficult at first. Take it slowly, accept that your relationship has changed. Might help to chat through emails or letters for a bit - maybe, showing him what you have written here might help?
Reply 12
Well, tough though it is, the relationship between your Mum and Dad is their business, not yours. A child should be somewhat removed from the dealings between parents. Relationships break down between people the whole time, people get divorced the whole time. However, the one constant is that you are their child, to both of them. I fully sympathise with you, I can understand why you would feel hurt and betrayed. I know a bit about this myself. However, you are a separate entity from your parents' personal relationship and you do need care and support from them both. So I would say, give it time- it's still very raw. Keep in contact with your Dad, don't cut him out entirely. And when you feel ready, try and maintain a better rapport with him if you can. You only have one Dad after all.
Wow, that sounds awful. Your dad sounds like a dick, to be honest. It was your mum that screwed things up..you don't deserve to be ignored. :confused:
About the facebook guy- do you believe him? If it's true would you want any kind of relationship with him or is it just too difficult?
In terms of not letting any of it bother you- I wish I was the same! It's constantly in my head and makes it worse when other people get involved, everyone (besides my mum) is keen for me to have a good relationship with my dad, but like I said, it's like we're strangers. And tbh, I'm not sure he ever really knew me.

Anyway! Thanks for your reply and I hope things work out for you :smile:

The long lost bother through facebook is true my mum and dad both confirmed it. However my dad rang me up and told me not to talk to him and have nothing to do with it so....we will see.

At the end of the day, parents are just human like the rest of us. I am the sort of person that doesn't like being on bad terms with anyone so that's why I am still cool with my mum and my dad. I don't let what they did to me phase me.

I hope it all works out for you too!
ach I know, I didn't know how to condense it. Balls.

i dd read it.

And no you shouldnt cut your dad out of his life. He and his wife has split up but why should you choose one parent over another. Yes i know he cheated but she must have done something(s) over a period of time that led him to that course of action. Cheaters dont cheat if they are happy (or they are those kind of people) but its never as straightforward as that. Also bear in mind your mother will not be entirely subjective in regards to this as she is the jilted woman.

Maybe he expecting you to get over that quickly is wrong. But if he is happier now then i think you need to give yourself time to come to grips with it.

Im not him cheating is right but just that its never as clear cut as you might think
Reply 15
Original post by daisydaffodil
I've effectively cut my dad out - we both have each other's contact details but we don't contact much, if at all; I've got very little time for him. He had an affair with numeorus women during his marriage to my mum, but was also abusive towards my mum and was never much of a dad to my sister and I, he contacted us when it suited him and treated me like I was five going on thirty - I was expected to cope with and manage things at that age that even adults would struggle with. He walked out sudennly when I was 5 and 1/2, telling me he didn't love my mum anymore, than producing his new girlfriend a week later.

Had no contact from age 7 up - fast forward to 2008, sudden email, asking me to put the past behind and be friends. When I plucked up the courage to ask why he treated us as he did, he told me it was all my mum's fault bla bla bla and that I should run away and abandon my entire life for him and his wife.

I cut him out after the emails he was sending became more and more distressing, they were triggering nightmares and flashbacks, doctor asked me for my safety to ignore him.

I wouldn't say to cut him out just yet - I'd think a good idea would be to take a break from each other, it's bound to be difficult at first. Take it slowly, accept that your relationship has changed. Might help to chat through emails or letters for a bit - maybe, showing him what you have written here might help?

Hey, thanks for your advice :smile: Your situation sounds equally difficult, and perhaps I'm slightly biased but I think it's right in your decision to sever ties with him. It sounds like you are much, much better off without him. A week later, wow nice. My mum actually found out by a card that this other woman had sent which said something lovely like ' I may not please you with my cooking but I can please you with other things' :mad: :frown: I just hate it. I wasn't much of a fan of marriage before but we are complete enemies now! :tongue: I hope your situation continues to improve :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Réglisse
Well, tough though it is, the relationship between your Mum and Dad is their business, not yours. A child should be somewhat removed from the dealings between parents. Relationships break down between people the whole time, people get divorced the whole time. However, the one constant is that you are their child, to both of them. I fully sympathise with you, I can understand why you would feel hurt and betrayed. I know a bit about this myself. However, you are a separate entity from your parents' personal relationship and you do need care and support from them both. So I would say, give it time- it's still very raw. Keep in contact with your Dad, don't cut him out entirely. And when you feel ready, try and maintain a better rapport with him if you can. You only have one Dad after all.

I have no idea how this multi quote thing works but I'll give it a go..
Completely get what you're saying, I do want my dad to be happy but he is going on and on to everyone (friends, colleagues, family) how 'deliriously happy' he is while the rest of us feel like **** tbh. Not cool. I might sort of have a cooling off period or something, even though I've tried it, I guess I should try it again before I completly decide what I want to do. Or where I see him in my life.

The long lost bother through facebook is true my mum and dad both confirmed it. However my dad rang me up and told me not to talk to him and have nothing to do with it so....we will see.

At the end of the day, parents are just human like the rest of us. I am the sort of person that doesn't like being on bad terms with anyone so that's why I am still cool with my mum and my dad. I don't let what they did to me phase me.

I hope it all works out for you too!

You don't let it phase you..god I wish I was more like you! :P Good luck with the whole brother situation, ultimately it's only for you to decide whether you want to contact him back, not your dad. :smile:

Original post by silverbolt
i dd read it.

And no you shouldnt cut your dad out of his life. He and his wife has split up but why should you choose one parent over another. Yes i know he cheated but she must have done something(s) over a period of time that led him to that course of action. Cheaters dont cheat if they are happy (or they are those kind of people) but its never as straightforward as that. Also bear in mind your mother will not be entirely subjective in regards to this as she is the jilted woman.

Maybe he expecting you to get over that quickly is wrong. But if he is happier now then i think you need to give yourself time to come to grips with it.

Im not him cheating is right but just that its never as clear cut as you might think

I guess I've always known that it wasn't a happy marriage between him and my mum, but I am just so, so disappointed in the way he has handled things and continues to handle things, that's what hurts the most really. My mum did everything she could to keep him/make him happy but I think he's been pretty disinterested for a long time. I really feel for her and she is bitter..doesn't help that my sister keeps my mum fully up to date on my dad and his new gf's situation because she's unaware how such information hurts my mum. Anyway, thanks for your advice..appreciated :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
He is still very defensive and believes that because I am 18 years old, and mentally stable (unlike my sister) I should be able to get over this immediately. But divorce of your parents is never an easy thing

my mum and dad split up when i wasnt even a year old due to his affair. being 18 does not mean anything, im now 19 and still struggle with it all, and this is 18 years later! your dads being selfish there, its effects different people different ways. it doesnt matter about your age, people think the younger you are the easier it is, but i dont belive that. my brother was 4 and doesnt have any issues with my dad, but i cant stand the sight of him.

its toatally up to you what you do ultimatly.

dont feel you need to rush into it.

if you need to chat just pm me [=
Just wondering if anyone had any similar experiences really? I just want to know that there’s light at the end of the tunnel really.

I have had similar.

One of my parents split up and had numerous adulterous affairs, once I hit sixteen I never spoke to her again, since then both my parents have died. I didn't go to my mothers funeral.

I don't feel guilty for not staying in touch, it was the best choice I ever made. In running off with someone she chose her sex drive over her family - I am glad I never saw her again, very glad.

At the most I sometimes feel a bit upset that I didn't have a better mum, but there are plenty of people around the world who have it far worse than me - so I cannot complain.
Reply 19
Original post by PonchoKid
my mum and dad split up when i wasnt even a year old due to his affair. being 18 does not mean anything, im now 19 and still struggle with it all, and this is 18 years later! your dads being selfish there, its effects different people different ways. it doesnt matter about your age, people think the younger you are the easier it is, but i dont belive that. my brother was 4 and doesnt have any issues with my dad, but i cant stand the sight of him.

its toatally up to you what you do ultimatly.

dont feel you need to rush into it.

if you need to chat just pm me [=

Thanks, appreciate it.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending