The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Got sunburnt and now my ears feel like radiators. :frown:
I really like neuroscience, but actually practising neurology: no thanks.

Original post by Helenia
Plus of course, no matter how fascinating a lot of it might be (and I have to say I don't often think it is), most of the time there's not much you can do for many of your patients.

Depressingly true. Though it may well improve over the next few decades. For certain conditions anyway.
Original post by carcinoma
Anaesthetics and expecially intensive care medicine makes me far too happy.

I know what you mean. My placement in anaesthetics was by far the most interesting.
(edited 12 years ago)
Visited some of my medic (and, amazingly, non-medic) mates in the midlands this weekend. There should be a week of uni in the middle of the summer so that everyone can meet up and get drunk without lectures spoiling the fun.
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
:cool:.

Best.Sig.Ever. :')

motor protein, never heard of it, but i guess haters gon' hate right?
Got sunburnt and now my ears feel like radiators. :frown:

And lrn2sunblock man!
Original post by n1r4v
Was reading a neuroscience blog and then came across this guy. Try and beat him for degrees / initials after his name :teehee:

In a lecture we had a competition to see what lecturer in all of BL had the most letters after their name. I think we had a draw with two people having 31.
Reply 4766
Original post by RollerBall
In a lecture we had a competition to see what lecturer in all of BL had the most letters after their name. I think we had a draw with two people having 31.
Sir Nick?
Original post by Kinkerz

Depressingly true. Though it may well improve over the next few decades. For certain conditions anyway.

I know what you mean. My placement in anaesthetics was by far the most interesting.

Once wea actually understand what exactly is going on in that mess of neurones, the treatments will expode forward.

Same, I now realise that anaesthatists are physiology kings and without them intensive care would be non-existant and no major trauma team would run.
(edited 12 years ago)
Neuroscience is ace by the way, psychiatry is not. As has been said though would I ever want to practice neurology? Probably not.

Got the freakin' man flu here, rubbish. So's the girlfriend (but lady flu of course), she just walked out of work because she thought she was feeling well enough to brave it, and they wouldn't let her have any water. ********s.
Original post by carcinoma
Once wea actually understand what exactly is going on in that mess of neurones, the treatments will expode forward.

Same, I now realise that anaesthatists are physiology kings and without them intensive care would be non-existant and no major trauma team would run.

The inflammatory/demyelinating conditions will get improved treatments as more and more targeted anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressive drugs come about. It's going to be relatively slow, but I've read studies with some cool ideas that are on the horizons. Not so sure about the even scarier conditions like ALS and the different strands of dementia.

I like the look of anaesthetics because of the pharmacology content. I think that's what struck me as interesting when on the placement.
Original post by Mushi_master
Neuroscience is ace by the way, psychiatry is not. As has been said though would I ever want to practice neurology? Probably not.

Got the freakin' man flu here, rubbish. So's the girlfriend (but lady flu of course), she just walked out of work because she thought she was feeling well enough to brave it, and they wouldn't let her have any water. ********s.

Well I bought the Clinical Specialities book ready for next year - and reading the Psych stuff has been really interesting - I'm looking forward to see if I like it in practice.
Original post by crazylemon
I loathe neuro.

:eek::eek::eek:

Original post by n1r4v
Yep, that's exactly what someone I shadowed said about neurology... no matter how interesting it may be to study, practicising it isn't that great. He also started describing neurological examinations and how coma-inducingly boring they get.

Practicing neurology is awesome!
Finding strange things on neurological examination and eliciting weird and wonderful signs.

Ever seen a crossed reflex or having to talk to someone on the telephone because they cant communicate any other way. Stange weird and wonderful things after stroke/MS, etc.

I like neurorehabilitation as a sub-speciality.

Something like cardiology would soooooooo boring!!!
Original post by fairy spangles
:eek::eek::eek:

Practicing neurology is awesome!
Finding strange things on neurological examination and eliciting weird and wonderful signs.

Ever seen a crossed reflex or having to talk to someone on the telephone because they cant communicate any other way. Stange weird and wonderful things after stroke/MS, etc.

I like neurorehabilitation as a sub-speciality.

Something like cardiology would soooooooo boring!!!

I kind of agree. Having a patient with anosognosia for paralysis is interesting as hell, but as a doctor, there is **** all you can do other than describe it in latin for them.
I kind of agree. Having a patient with anosognosia for paralysis is interesting as hell, but as a doctor, there is **** all you can do other than describe it in latin for them.

Disagree!! As a doctor pharmalogically there is little you can do.
Its a huge puzzle - yes you cant make it go away with drugs, but think broader. Theres always some answer/patch to a problem. Neurorehabilitation?
Disagree!! As a doctor pharmalogically there is little you can do.
Its a huge puzzle - yes you cant make it go away with drugs, but think broader. Theres always some answer/patch to a problem. Neurorehabilitation?

Yeah, true, but neurorehab is the neuropsychs job, surely?
Yeah, true, but neurorehab is the neuropsychs job, surely?

Erm nope, not by a long long way.
Neurorehabilitation includes (not necessarily applicable to the condition you mentioned) - occupational therapists, speech and language therapists, physiotherapy, social workers. Neurology/elderly care work (depends on age of patients) assessment of injury, progression, MDT work.

Why would it be the neuropsych's job? Im not with you (i may be missing something though!)
(edited 12 years ago)
Erm nope, not by a long long way.
Neurorehabilitation includes (not necessarily applicable to the condition you mentioned) - occupational therapists, speech and language therapists, physiotherapy, social workers. Neurology/elderly care work (depends on age of patients) assessment of injury, progression, MDT work.

Why would it be the neuropsych's job? Im not with you (i may be missing something though!)

Neuropsych as in neuropsychologist, that is. And yes, of course all of the workers you have included also.

I didn't think neurologists were involved in that side as much?
Neuropsych as in neuropsychologist, that is. And yes, of course all of the workers you have included also.

I didn't think neurologists were involved in that side as much?

Its like saying elderly care arent involved in stroke patients.
Neurologists - generally have patients under 65, those over go to elderly care. This isnt as very loosely used rule - dependant on bucket loads of things. I would be interested to know who you thought young neurology rehabilitation patients saw, consultant wise?

Neuropsychologists - for every patient on a neurorehabilitation ward. Those people costs thousands of pounds for every report. Occupational therapists do alot of the memory anf functional assessments in neuro-rehabilitation.

You will probably know more than me about this - i think you said that you had a psychology degree along the line? Unless im remembering wrong. But arent neuropsychologists involved more in the pre-surgery, dementia, memory, cognitive, processing skills assessments?

You will probably know more than me about this - i think you said that you had a psychology degree along the line? Unless im remembering wrong. But arent neuropsychologists involved more in the pre-surgery, dementia, memory, cognitive, processing skills assessments?

Yeah I do. Neuropsychs can be involved in any kind of brain trauma or disease that produce long-term cognitive/motor/perceptual disorder.
Original post by Renal
Sir Nick?

I think it was him and Kumar iirc. Don't quote me on tha though.

Latest

Trending

Trending