The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I am realy desperate to get the galaxy s2. However my main concern is the lack of NFC which i believe is gonna be biiiig when iphone 5 comes out.
Original post by wizz_kid
I am realy desperate to get the galaxy s2. However my main concern is the lack of NFC which i believe is gonna be biiiig when iphone 5 comes out.

I'd say that realistically, you'll be at the end of which ever contract you go for next before NFC gets biiiig, as you put it! :smile:
Original post by mikeyd85
Aye - I don't need it for much now except the torch mode on my Desire S as all of those ore in the notification area too. It's a nice little widget though. :smile:

Do you suppose this journo uses Internet Explorer? :teehee:

Probably Safari. I just read his review of the N8, laughable again. He has issue that Symbian lets you have folders, and that the icon for Maps is a compass - not acknowledging that the Apple icon for Safari is a compass, as though a compass for navigation is ludicrous but makes perfect sense for browsing.

I had dealings with him about writing a few tech pieces, at first he just wanted to take my article and put his name on it, then he acknowleged he knew nothing of Maemo or MeeGo (he didn't even understand what an OS's codename is). Incredibly ignorant, espeically considering his job.

If NFC is your concern get the N9.

Personally i wouldn't consider using it for payments and the like, far too risky if your phone is stolen. It is odd NFC isn't in the UK SGS2 though, it is in the USA one.
Reply 5604
Are any other SGSII owners finding the top left quadrant of the phone gets hot when browsing the internet on wifi? I don't know if this is unusual for smartphones as this is my first, but it's worrying!

Original post by Tucking Fypo
I'm having trouble connecting to 3G on the GSII. The red/green arrows that should appear next to the signal bars aren't there either. Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm basically screwed in areas without wifi. Can't use whatsapp, nothing. :angry:

Firstly, is wifi off? Secondly, have you activated 3G (hold down the power button and activate data network mode)? Sorry, to state the obvious and take you for a 'noob', but it's easy to miss the obvious sometimes.

I had a quick search and there doesn't seem to be a widely approved quick fix, but there is one person suggesting that you should check your APN settings (something which is beyond me).

http://www.samsunggalaxysforum.com/samsung-galaxy-s-how-to/3g-connectivity-issue/

http://www.samsunggalaxysforum.com/samsung-galaxy-s-how-to/3g-connectivity/

I hope you find a solution :smile:
Original post by _lynx_
Are any other SGSII owners finding the top left quadrant of the phone gets hot when browsing the internet on wifi? I don't know if this is unusual for smartphones as this is my first, but it's worrying!

Firstly, is wifi off? Secondly, have you activated 3G (hold down the power button and activate data network mode)? Sorry, to state the obvious and take you for a 'noob', but it's easy to miss the obvious sometimes.

I had a quick search and there doesn't seem to be a widely approved quick fix, but there is one person suggesting that you should check your APN settings (something which is beyond me).

http://www.samsunggalaxysforum.com/samsung-galaxy-s-how-to/3g-connectivity-issue/

http://www.samsunggalaxysforum.com/samsung-galaxy-s-how-to/3g-connectivity/

I hope you find a solution :smile:

I've found that the phone stays pretty cool for me. Only gets warm whenever I'm charging.

And thanks for those links, I'll read up on access points etc. :yy:
I'd say that realistically, you'll be at the end of which ever contract you go for next before NFC gets biiiig, as you put it! :smile:

Sorry i dont follow. Do you mean next year?
Sorry i dont follow. Do you mean next year?

Next year, maybe 2013, yeah. :smile:
Reply 5608

This is more likely than 2012. NFC is basically unknown technology for most so lets say it often takes 3-6 years for technologies to be "accepted" it'll be a while. A good example is HDTV which is only just being accepted now, despite major broadcasts being sent since 2004.

Despite the potential for NFC it'll be a while before it rolls out in to fulfill it's potential.
Am I just being stupid or can NFC be delivered for basic tasks using a software update?

Surely a device can be made to incorporate wifi and bluetooth chips to perform a similar task without having an NFC chip- just like the Tocco can with barclaycard...
Reply 5610
Original post by chaz1992
Am I just being stupid or can NFC be delivered for basic tasks using a software update?

Surely a device can be made to incorporate wifi and bluetooth chips to perform a similar task without having an NFC chip- just like the Tocco can with barclaycard...

Well, it wouldn't be NFC. It would be a completely different frequency..
Samsung galaxy europia? Like the budget version of the galaxy s? Is it worth getting as I have around £60 spare from my shopping money?
Looks good enough to me :biggrin:

Hmmm...you neva know coz the technology exists already :
http://www.store-orange.co.uk/orange-nfc-near-field-communication.html

Its just not as popular due to a lack of devices. I think it would be mid 2012 when it goes big.
Original post by blueray
Samsung galaxy europia? Like the budget version of the galaxy s? Is it worth getting as I have around £60 spare from my shopping money?

Budget Android isn't a good experience. Look at the Wildfire for an example
Original post by chaz1992

No it's part of the hardware. It's like not having a wifi radio chip
Hmmm...you neva know coz the technology exists already :
http://www.store-orange.co.uk/orange-nfc-near-field-communication.html

Its just not as popular due to a lack of devices. I think it would be mid 2012 when it goes big.

Aye, it's on my Barclays card already. :smile:

Original post by richwhite

The San Fransisco from Orange however is pretty decent. :smile:

Aye, it's on my Barclays card already. :smile:

The San Fransisco from Orange however is pretty decent. :smile:

The reviews of the europia look good enough ? :biggrin:
No it's part of the hardware. It's like not having a wifi radio chip

It's possible to put the radio inside the SIM card. NFC-enabled SIMs are already available elsewhere in the world. This allows contactless payments to be used with any phone just by upgrading the SIM card.
Original post by blueray

It has a really small screen which means you won't be able to run some apps, or even use the keyboard in portrait mode!

For a decently equipped, small, budget Android phone you should take a look at the Orange San Fransisco, LG Optimus One, Samsung Galaxy Ace or HTC Wildfire S.
Original post by maturestudy

Original post by maturestudy
It has a really small screen which means you won't be able to run some apps, or even use the keyboard in portrait mode!

For a decently equipped, small, budget Android phone you should take a look at the Orange San Fransisco, LG Optimus One, Samsung Galaxy Ace or HTC Wildfire S.

LG Optimus One
How much? Whats the best payg sim?

Latest

Trending

Trending