The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1360
Original post by tiffster
Out of curiousity, are you guys applying for straight Economics? (that's me)

Or are you more interested in joint degrees or a specific kind of Economics course such as Development Economics?

i thought we could perhaps share!

Straight Economics here, also. I'm applying for a placement year at Bath, though.

Most courses have development modules, so I'm not sure why you'd want to choose such a specific course!

When I've been to open days, admissions tutors have said that many students have a preconceived idea of all the modules they are going to take, but if you take a step back you'll find you prefer something else. With this argument, it would seem silly to put all your eggs in one basket so early on.
Reply 1361
Original post by Groat
The Times has a better ranking in my opinion! I only took a glance at it in Waterstones, but I think it's something like:

Cambridge

Oxford

LSE

UCL

Warwick

Bath

St. Andrews

Durham

How on earth is Buckingham that high? The entry requirements are 300 UCAS points (BBB). Similarly with Heriot-Watt, you need BBB.

That one is what I expected :tongue:

Original post by tiffster
Out of curiousity, are you guys applying for straight Economics? (that's me)

Or are you more interested in joint degrees or a specific kind of Economics course such as Development Economics?

i thought we could perhaps share!

Probably straight economics, I know that in 2nd and 3rd years there are various Economic modules you can take and they are quite varied (well at the uni's I plan to go to anyways).
Reply 1362
Original post by alex_hk90
I'm sure you know this already, but if you do go for a joint course at LSE, you'll have to consider if your PS will work for the other unis as LSE are picky on wanting to see the composition of your PS matching that of the course.

Thanks for the reminder, I'll definitely have to keep that in mind.
Original post by alex_hk90
I'm sure you know this already, but if you do go for a joint course at LSE, you'll have to consider if your PS will work for the other unis as LSE are picky on wanting to see the composition of your PS matching that of the course.

Do you know anything about Statistics, Economics and Finance at UCL, how they handle it when the PS is mainly about economics? All my other choices are basically straight econ but I would also like to apply for this one. I do mention maths/statistics, how it is applied in economics but not really about my passion about statistics since I don't want to ruin my chances with all the other choices.
Reply 1364
Original post by nightmare91
Do you know anything about Statistics, Economics and Finance at UCL, how they handle it when the PS is mainly about economics? All my other choices are basically straight econ but I would also like to apply for this one. I do mention maths/statistics, how it is applied in economics but not really about my passion about statistics since I don't want to ruin my chances with all the other choices.

If you're savvy about the way you handle the discussion of statistics, it will be fine in my opinion.

However, if you have three distinct paragraphs about statistics, economics and then finance it'll look pretty obvious to other universities!
Original post by Groat
If you're savvy about the way you handle the discussion of statistics, it will be fine in my opinion.

However, if you have three distinct paragraphs about statistics, economics and then finance it'll look pretty obvious to other universities!

I think most people don't perceive my PS as a mix of Maths/stats and economics. Especially because I have one huge paragraph where I talk about my favourite topic in economics: Depression economics. I just have this one paragraph where I talk about how important maths is because especially in microeconomics everything is expressed through functions etc. So I sort of state that Maths is really important for economics and further understanding.
The UCL course is actually my number 5 on the list therefore it is not that important. But of course I don't want to waste my choice, and I'd still be happy to get an offer from there...:smile:

I don't know, I haven't heard anything about UCL having a similar policy. :dontknow:

I think most people don't perceive my PS as a mix of Maths/stats and economics. Especially because I have one huge paragraph where I talk about my favourite topic in economics: Depression economics. I just have this one paragraph where I talk about how important maths is because especially in microeconomics everything is expressed through functions etc. So I sort of state that Maths is really important for economics and further understanding.
The UCL course is actually my number 5 on the list therefore it is not that important. But of course I don't want to waste my choice, and I'd still be happy to get an offer from there...:smile:

It sounds like you'll be fine either way - talking about stats is very common in straight Economics PSs and Finance is often an optional module as well. :smile:
Hi guys just finished A2's certain I got AAB

Any ideas on some ABB universities I can apply to so im certain I gain a place.
Original post by boobooboob
Hi guys just finished A2's certain I got AAB

Any ideas on some ABB universities I can apply to so im certain I gain a place.

Royal Holloway :smile: It has a pretty decent econ department from what I hear :smile:
Reply 1369
I've just had an email back from UCL. They will be requesting UMS marks for this cycle. That makes me want to reconsider, as I feel my UMS are going to merit my application. :s-smilie:
Original post by Groat
I've just had an email back from UCL. They will be requesting UMS marks for this cycle. That makes me want to reconsider, as I feel my UMS are going to merit my application. :s-smilie:

Is that exclusively for straight Economics applications?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1371
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
Is that exclusively for straight Economics applications?

Thank you for your email.

The Admissions Tutor for Economics has requested that we ask for UMS marks for each module from the next admissions cycle onwards, so you should include this information on your UCAS form so that there is no delay in us having to request this information from you before we can fully assess your application.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further queries.

I cannot be sure, but she implies that it's only for Economics.

Time to email the other universities I'm applying to, asking them whether they are asking for UMS!
Reply 1372
Original post by Groat

Time to email the other universities I'm applying to, asking them whether they are asking for UMS!

*reconsiders university choices*

How do we enter module scores into UCAS? (I haven't been on it for about a month...)
Original post by Groat

Let us know when you find out please! :colondollar:
Reply 1374
Original post by Tateco

How do we enter module scores into UCAS? (I haven't been on it for about a month...)

I don't think you can enter them.

Original post by jamiepango
Let us know when you find out please! :colondollar:

I will do!

Thank you for your email.

You should be able to list the marks when you enter your qualifications. If you can't, then please ask your referee to include this information as part of their academic reference. There are no 'cut off' marks for UMS marks but, due to the very high number of applications we receive for the Economics courses, the Admissions Tutor is looking for applicants who have performed at a consistently high level throughout all of their exams.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further queries.
Reply 1375
Original post by Tateco

I think the college/sixth form gives it to them when they're requested or something.

Has anyone booked any open days? Nottingham, Southampton and Bristol are open :smile:
Reply 1376
Original post by Hemzo
I think the college/sixth form gives it to them when they're requested or something.

Has anyone booked any open days? Nottingham, Southampton and Bristol are open :smile:

Oh okay :smile:

I've been to Nottingham already, it was quite a good day. Any more news on whether they are upping it to A*AA yet?
Reply 1377
Original post by Tateco
Oh okay :smile:

I've been to Nottingham already, it was quite a good day. Any more news on whether they are upping it to A*AA yet?

Please note: Economics are currently reviewing their entry requirements and the typical A level offer for 2012 entry may go up to A*AA (no specified subject at A*).

Still the same as before, I hope they make their decision before we start A2 in September.

I heard Nottingham university is huge, my friend who went for medicine said his legs gave out after so much walking :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1378
Original post by Hemzo
Please note: Economics are currently reviewing their entry requirements and the typical A level offer for 2012 entry may go up to A*AA (no specified subject at A*).

Still the same as before, I hope they make their decision before we start A2 in September.

I heard Nottingham university is huge, my friend who went for medicine said his legs gave out after so much walking :tongue:

I do too! It will definitely affect my choices...

It is absolutely massive, the economics building itself isn't anything to shout about but as a whole it's quite nice, most expensive accommodation I've seen, though. Lucky there is lots of free buses on the open days so just get one of them :biggrin:
Reply 1379
May consider keeping 4 A levels next year after seeing Warwick's unionview.. Plus Further Maths AS aswell.. I think it will depend on my results :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending