The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2000
Original post by Myotherone
My back tyre keeps slipping when im cycling, i can see any faults with it, any ideas anyone?

(By slipping i mean that its moving when im cycling)

You mean it is slipping on the rim of the wheel? Sure you have pumped it up enough?

Original post by Roobsa
Just been told the Langster I was given has a crack in the carbon fibre forks. :frown: There goes my hopes of having a road worthy road bike! It's not worth putting Β£250 into the bike as it's not worth anywhere near that now sadly.

Ouch, but at least it didn't break whilst you were riding it! Get some alu forks?
Sell the non broken parts for what you can and then do what I do and day dream for weeks on end about having a nice bike and being fit enough to ride it :frown:
Reply 2001
Original post by dhr90
You mean it is slipping on the rim of the wheel? Sure you have pumped it up enough?

Ouch, but at least it didn't break whilst you were riding it! Get some alu forks?
Sell the non broken parts for what you can and then do what I do and day dream for weeks on end about having a nice bike and being fit enough to ride it :frown:

I'm really interested in the Trek 1.5 as they've got a summer sale on due to their transition from 2011 to 2012 models. Β£125 off the 1.5 and I've been offered a Β£50 trade in for the Langster so could get it for Β£575. Will try and blag another 10% discount or a free pair of SPDs.

Just got to get the OK from my brother that I can sell it/trade it in. Might be able to get about Β£100/150 selling privately though.
22.5 miles cycled today, with some horrible hills thrown in.

Top speed of 34.5 mph which was fun and could have been more had there not been cars in front of me ffs - this was on a downhill stretch in a local country park.

Will have to make do with the turbo for the next few days now as I'm busy working the next 3 days now.
Original post by white_haired_wizard
I viewed it and it looks like a real beast of a gradient. In the first 3-4 months of this year, I did quite a bit of work on my turbo and I found that the HIIT and general workouts I did on the turbo really strengthened, in particular, my calfs, and consequently, my ability to climb well. My legs are relatively strong at present but they could be much stronger, just got to increase hills in my rides I suppose, but I do love flats. I can really get good pace on flat roads. But very little beats bombing it down some hills, shame you have to ascend before the descent :angry:

Yeah, i completely agree.
My legs can handle the hills quite well, and it's not too strenuous on a low gear, and well worth it.

do tell me when/if you do the ride, i'd love to know what you think. :}
Original post by JLXP
Yeah, i completely agree.
My legs can handle the hills quite well, and it's not too strenuous on a low gear, and well worth it.

do tell me when/if you do the ride, i'd love to know what you think. :}

todays ride:

up Buxton Road, left onto Windlehurst Road, turned right onto Hawk Green Road, then right onto Ridge Road, down onto Wybersley Road, right onto Carr Brow, left onto Buxton Road and into Lyme Park. Some killer uphill sections here, even on low gears, going up and into Lyme Park where the car park is, is a real challenge too, as it's constantly uphill. Damn good fun going downhill in Lyme Park though and same goes for the long stretch of downhill from Lyme Park and into Hazel Grove. Could only hit 34.5 mph in Lyme Park due to the cars in front of me, still, decent speed. Added a few miles once I hit Hazel Grove on the way home, which is close to Heavily for me. So, 22.5 miles today, done close to 90-100 this last week.

Seriously, I'm not going to attempt to do serious hillage until my calfs and thighs are stronger and I think some HIIT sessions on my turbo will help massively in terms of future hills, the Kettleshulmes (sic?) and Pott Shrigleys of this world etc...
todays ride:

up Buxton Road, left onto Windlehurst Road, turned right onto Hawk Green Road, then right onto Ridge Road, down onto Wybersley Road, right onto Carr Brow, left onto Buxton Road and into Lyme Park. Some killer uphill sections here, even on low gears, going up and into Lyme Park where the car park is, is a real challenge too, as it's constantly uphill. Damn good fun going downhill in Lyme Park though and same goes for the long stretch of downhill from Lyme Park and into Hazel Grove. Could only hit 34.5 mph in Lyme Park due to the cars in front of me, still, decent speed. Added a few miles once I hit Hazel Grove on the way home, which is close to Heavily for me. So, 22.5 miles today, done close to 90-100 this last week.

Seriously, I'm not going to attempt to do serious hillage until my calfs and thighs are stronger and I think some HIIT sessions on my turbo will help massively in terms of future hills, the Kettleshulmes (sic?) and Pott Shrigleys of this world etc...

Interesting detour you made from the a6 - ridge road - back onto the a6? Any particular reason for that?
And tell me about it, the hill towards lyme park car park looks alright, but it's a bugger to cycle up!
Where do you go from the car park, do you turn around?
i came down the a6 from Disley yesterday, couldn't go as fast as i'd have liked, due to strong wind in my face.

I rarely do hills, and i didn't struggle too much. I really think you should try it.
I may see you on it one day. :smile:
Reply 2006
todays ride:

What bike and turbo do you have?
Original post by JLXP
Interesting detour you made from the a6 - ridge road - back onto the a6? Any particular reason for that?
And tell me about it, the hill towards lyme park car park looks alright, but it's a bugger to cycle up!
Where do you go from the car park, do you turn around?
i came down the a6 from Disley yesterday, couldn't go as fast as i'd have liked, due to strong wind in my face.

I rarely do hills, and i didn't struggle too much. I really think you should try it.
I may see you on it one day. :smile:

The route I took today, I just fancied exploring sections of road I haven't yet cycled on. Didn't know where the hell I was until I hit the road Carr Brow and then cycled into Lyme Park from there.

The cycle into Lyme Park drains the energy levels, definitely. Took a 5 minute breather there and then enjoyed riding back to the entrance and down Buxton Rd into Hazel Grove. I did consider then riding up into Marple from Torkington Park but that'd have involved the steep section of road heading to Marple, eff that tbh - that newly tarmacked (sic) bit of road which feels pretty sweet to ride on, especially ride down!

That's the trouble with the ride from Disley back into Hazel Grove, sometimes the wind ruins things and your speed can seriously be adversely impacted upon. You do all the hard work going up Buxton Road and you can't really enjoy the fruits of your labour when going downhill that way.

As soon as I hit the Lyme Park car park, I sit down and chill for a few minutes then turn back around again.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Roobsa
What bike and turbo do you have?

the most basic Decathlon b-twin road bike, the model from 2 years ago and the 'Tacx' model turbo, again from Decathlon, which I bought 12 months ago.

the road bike has proven very reliable, first road bike I've ever bought and served its purpose very well. Not considering buying another road bike for a few years yet, not until I've ridden the bumhole off this current bike and genuinely then need a new road bike - then I would consider spending Β£400+ on a new bike.

I've found my turbo sessions form a great building block for my rides outdoors and has really helped strengthen my calfs in the past and the strength of my legs, especially for hills.

The road bike cost me around Β£270 at the time and the turbo around Β£150. Both superb investments tbh.
(edited 12 years ago)
The route I took today, I just fancied exploring sections of road I haven't yet cycled on. Didn't know where the hell I was until I hit the road Carr Brow and then cycled into Lyme Park from there.

The cycle into Lyme Park drains the energy levels, definitely. Took a 5 minute breather there and then enjoyed riding back to the entrance and down Buxton Rd into Hazel Grove. I did consider then riding up into Marple from Torkington Park but that'd have involved the steep section of road heading to Marple, eff that tbh - that newly tarmacked (sic) bit of road which feels pretty sweet to ride on, especially ride down!

That's the trouble with the ride from Disley back into Hazel Grove, sometimes the wind ruins things and your speed can seriously be adversely impacted upon. You do all the hard work going up Buxton Road and you can't really enjoy the fruits of your labour when going downhill that way.

As soon as I hit the Lyme Park car park, I sit down and chill for a few minutes then turn back around again.

Sounds good, i'll proabably do that next time, any excuse to get off the a6<.
It really does drain your energy getting up there, i don't enjoy it at all.

It's amazing how much the wind can affect your speed, doesn't feel quite as fun if you're getting slowed down by the wind.
And yeah, smooth tarmac is lovely to ride on, i'm not a fan of cycling through Marple though.

I'll try carr Brow next time i'm out.
Original post by JLXP
Sounds good, i'll proabably do that next time, any excuse to get off the a6<.
It really does drain your energy getting up there, i don't enjoy it at all.

It's amazing how much the wind can affect your speed, doesn't feel quite as fun if you're getting slowed down by the wind.
And yeah, smooth tarmac is lovely to ride on, i'm not a fan of cycling through Marple though.

I'll try carr Brow next time i'm out.

Tbh, Marple can kiss it. I need to start exploring the Cheshire plains, and cycling out towards the likes of Leighton. I did do a round trip of 60+ miles to and from Leighton (garden centre), this was back in April or May, that was fun and so much of it was flat. Split the ride in two, had lunch at the garden centre - lush food too.
Tbh, Marple can kiss it. I need to start exploring the Cheshire plains, and cycling out towards the likes of Leighton. I did do a round trip of 60+ miles to and from Leighton (garden centre), this was back in April or May, that was fun and so much of it was flat. Split the ride in two, had lunch at the garden centre - lush food too.

Sounds like a good ride!
yeah, that's why i wanted to go to Kettleshulme and around there, it's really nice, and really pleasant to explore. I love finding new places.
Reply 2012
Is there something similar Google maps but primarily for cycle routes? For example, you put in point A and point B and it suggests a route but avoids A roads/major roads etc.
Original post by Roobsa
Is there something similar Google maps but primarily for cycle routes? For example, you put in point A and point B and it suggests a route but avoids A roads/major roads etc.

Try this cycle planner site, and select "quietest" route when prompted. Works for me, in that it flags busy streets and roads that have cycle lanes.

http://www.transportdirect.info/Web2/JourneyPlanning/FindCycleInput.aspx?cacheparam=3
Reply 2014
Original post by Seasick Steve
Try this cycle planner site, and select &quot;quietest&quot; route when prompted. Works for me, in that it flags busy streets and roads that have cycle lanes.

http://www.transportdirect.info/Web2/JourneyPlanning/FindCycleInput.aspx?cacheparam=3

That's awesome, just what I was looking for! Thanks a lot.
Hi cyclists! I've recently got into cycling, but I've noticed my legs start to really hurt after just a few minutes of cycling which is annoying because I have to stop cycling. Are there any tips or routines anyone could recommend that would help me with this, as I really wish I could go cycling for longer than a few measly minutes. Also, my bike has gears...but I have no idea what I'm meant to do with them, it probably seems really stupid, but I've never really understood them. :s-smilie:
Reply 2016
Original post by _music<3
Hi cyclists! I've recently got into cycling, but I've noticed my legs start to really hurt after just a few minutes of cycling which is annoying because I have to stop cycling. Are there any tips or routines anyone could recommend that would help me with this, as I really wish I could go cycling for longer than a few measly minutes. Also, my bike has gears...but I have no idea what I'm meant to do with them, it probably seems really stupid, but I've never really understood them. :s-smilie:

Don't push yourself too much, if they start to hurt, shift down and slow down, try not to stop (:

Gears, basically: Higher gears the faster you are going, Lower gears are good for hills and setting off. What gears do you have (how many, are they hub gears or derailleur?) (:
Original post by owliver
Don't push yourself too much, if they start to hurt, shift down and slow down, try not to stop (:

Gears, basically: Higher gears the faster you are going, Lower gears are good for hills and setting off. What gears do you have (how many, are they hub gears or derailleur?) (:

Oh right thank you, that's a lot of help :smile: I've got 6 gears...and they're derailleur (I had to go check) :colondollar:
Not to sound like a dick or anything, but the only thing to do is cycle more.
Reply 2019
Original post by amateur_soldier
Not to sound like a dick or anything, but the only thing to do is cycle more.

You don't sound like a dick, it's true (: +repped :biggrin:

Latest