The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by raveen789
Ah, that sounds good because i really do not want to present it during exam time, any time after or before Easter would be great, but otherwise it might become too much work. :smile:

Yeah, they have to be marked by the supervisor and sent off for moderating as the exams start anyway so it shouldn't be any later than end of April/beginning of May tops to give enough time for marking :smile:
Original post by un-besito

I completely disagree with this. I applied to five 'good' universities and I believe that my EPQ really strengthened my application, because I did it on something related to my course and on something I was genuinely interested in. It's only a waste of time if you're going to decide to do it without thinking about it properly beforehand - I know lots of people who started doing it then realised, because they had just chosen any old topic, that they could not write 5000 words about it.
I think that if you balance your time well, doing the EPQ is very beneficial, it demonstrates to universities that, as well as focussing on your A2 exams, you're eager to take your interest in the subject you're applying for beyond the syllabus and that you really want to learn more about it. (Having said that, OP, you don't even have to do it on something directly related to your course.

If you manage your time well, you can ask your supervisor to look at drafts of your writing if you're concerned about format/writing style, they are there to help you. As for when your presentation is, it depends - at my school there were three 'cohorts', 1 was over Summer, then the other from September - November then the third one over the Christmas holidays (if you're in that one and have January exams, yes it will clash with exams.) It's 'worth doing it' if you think it is, is there anything in particular you want to do that much research into and spend so much time on? If not, I wouldn't recommend it as it it is very time-consuming and can be really stressful! :smile:

True. Time managment is essential for EPQ. I was dossing around during AS's, but then realised that i might as well make an effort to do this as it is something extra to put on my UCAS application. It all depends on the person though really, someone might think 4 A2's is challenging enough, others (like yourself) might want more to put on their UCAS form, which is fair enough.

Like i said, if you find something that you can talk/write about, then you won't have many problems. I personally think that EPQ just comes down to time management really. I got away with leaving my EPQ pretty late, and i know some friends who left it late, then told the teacher that they wanted to drop the EPQ because they couldn't be bothered with doing extra work at college.

All in all, if you are ontop of your work at college, and want to stand out from other applicants for uni, do the EPQ. If you think that it will be a 'doss' don't do it, as i nearly found out haha.
Thanks for all the responces guys:

Basically I am still 50/50 on doing it, I am going to wait until school starts and attend the EPQ meeting. we were meant to have it before summer but the teacher in charge became very sick. If I find that i can present my presentation at a reasonable date then that is fine, because i think that is the main thing worrying me!

I am thinking of doing medicine, so i want it to be related to that - in this case i chose cancer as a topic, because i can write a lot about it in detail and provide a foundation for if i get into medical school. :biggrin:
Reply 1923
hey people :smile:

i decided i want to write my epq on the development of medicine through ww2 but i cant really find any sites devoted to anything like it

any suggestions of sites or search engines i could use to find sites i need?
Reply 1924
Hi,

I would like to do an Extended Project, although I'm struggling to think of a title, or a phrase I could work upon.
Next year I'd like to apply for the "International Relations" Degree at Uni. This degree looks at:-

-Global Conflicts
-UN/Such World Organizations
-War crimes/Genocide
-Human Rights Ect.

I've thought of maybe, "Increasing multiculturalism in the UK & It's affects". With this I can go into the US/UK relations. Middle East problems, 9/11, 7/7. Although I feel this would be too indepth.

Any suggestions would be welcome, esp if it can relate to my chosen degree topic. I have tried google, and other websites although results are scarce. Thanks.
Reply 1925
Hi
Could my title be anything, even something simple like;
The causes of the financial crisis of 2008?

or does it need to be more focused like;
what was Wall st's role in causing the financial crisis?

As afterall aslong as you evaluate, manage and plan the project well and have a great final evaluation then thats pretty much an A.

Does every one agree that its an Easy A grade compared to sitting exams for an AS-level?

Thanks
Reply 1926
Original post by Alpha5
Hi

As afterall aslong as you evaluate, manage and plan the project well and have a great final evaluation then thats pretty much an A.

Does every one agree that its an Easy A grade compared to sitting exams for an AS-level?

Thanks

Hi I got an A* on my EPQ last year and yeah I think the essay question is good. It's a pretty easy AS level substitute tbh haha
Reply 1927
Original post by Bambie_X
Hi,

I would like to do an Extended Project, although I'm struggling to think of a title, or a phrase I could work upon.
Next year I'd like to apply for the "International Relations" Degree at Uni. This degree looks at:-

-Global Conflicts
-UN/Such World Organizations
-War crimes/Genocide
-Human Rights Ect.

I've thought of maybe, "Increasing multiculturalism in the UK & It's affects". With this I can go into the US/UK relations. Middle East problems, 9/11, 7/7. Although I feel this would be too indepth.

Any suggestions would be welcome, esp if it can relate to my chosen degree topic. I have tried google, and other websites although results are scarce. Thanks.

Could look at something like how effective has the UN been since the collapse of communism. Look at the different areas of conflict which has caused UN intervention such as Darfur and see how effective the UN has been. Could talk about the Gulf War of 1991 and the US practically taking over the whole war and leaving the UN looking weak, could focus on something current like the crisis in Libya and how effective the UN has been in the conflict? Just suggestions :smile:
Original post by Alpha5
Hi

Thanks

Heya for your title i thought that I would give you the advice my teacher gave me last year. She said to make the title a controversial statement, so for example 'Bankers on Wall Street are to blame for the 2008 financial crisis. To what extent is this true.' Or to choose a factor and say something like 'x is the most important reason for the financial crisis. To what extent is this a fair judgement'..

She said to do it that way because it ensures that you analyse throughout, as you dont want it to be mere description.
Reply 1929
Original post by eff01
Hi I got an A* on my EPQ last year and yeah I think the essay question is good. It's a pretty easy AS level substitute tbh haha

Which one of these questions is the one you say is good and is likely to get me the highest marks;

What caused the financial crisis?
What was Wall St role in the financial crisis of 2008?
To what extent is wall St to blamme for the 2008 financial crisis?

As they are simple question to answer and research, but I want an A*/a so which is the best and standout? or can I do any of them?

Cheers
Reply 1930
Original post by Trixy.Sam
Heya for your title i thought that I would give you the advice my teacher gave me last year. She said to make the title a controversial statement, so for example 'Bankers on Wall Street are to blame for the 2008 financial crisis. To what extent is this true.' Or to choose a factor and say something like 'x is the most important reason for the financial crisis. To what extent is this a fair judgement'..

She said to do it that way because it ensures that you analyse throughout, as you dont want it to be mere description.

Hi
Did this advice work? What grade did you achieve?

Thanks
Reply 1931
Original post by Alpha5
Which one of these questions is the one you say is good and is likely to get me the highest marks;

What caused the financial crisis?
What was Wall St role in the financial crisis of 2008?
To what extent is wall St to blamme for the 2008 financial crisis?

As they are simple question to answer and research, but I want an A*/a so which is the best and standout? or can I do any of them?

Cheers

It's not about which is the best question. You get marks in the EPQ mainly for how you conduct your project ie how you plan, manage time, research etc. I would say probably C. But really the EPQ is all about how you do your project rather than what you come up with at the end.
Reply 1932
Original post by eff01
It's not about which is the best question. You get marks in the EPQ mainly for how you conduct your project ie how you plan, manage time, research etc. I would say probably C. But really the EPQ is all about how you do your project rather than what you come up with at the end.

Hi
Yeah I understand what you saying. So really I could wait until I have done some research and pick the easiest question and not one which sounds good and is more difficult to answer.
Original post by Alpha5
Hi
Did this advice work? What grade did you achieve?

Thanks

I did mine this year gone so i will be getting my actual result in the summer, but I was predicted an A* and my teacher was confident that I had done well. I think the advice worked well for those who took it on in my school.
Reply 1934
Original post by Alpha5
Hi
Yeah I understand what you saying. So really I could wait until I have done some research and pick the easiest question and not one which sounds good and is more difficult to answer.

Yeah, Exactly :biggrin:. Our college was really relaxed about the whole thing lol
Reply 1935
Original post by eff01
Could look at something like how effective has the UN been since the collapse of communism. Look at the different areas of conflict which has caused UN intervention such as Darfur and see how effective the UN has been. Could talk about the Gulf War of 1991 and the US practically taking over the whole war and leaving the UN looking weak, could focus on something current like the crisis in Libya and how effective the UN has been in the conflict? Just suggestions :smile:

This helped an awful lot, thankyou very much! x
Reply 1936
Original post by Chicharito14
I did an EPQ which honestly took me around 10-15 hours to complete. I left everything till the last minute, with 1 week before the deadline. I got a C in it, wouldnt recommend it unless you have a subject that you are passionate about and can write a lot about the subject.

To be honest, if you are aiming for a good uni (say top 20), don't waste your time on the EPQ, just focus on your A2's, as that will be more beneficial.

It is hardly surprising that you attained no more than a C for spending 10-15 hours on a project that UCAS considers to have equal weighting with an AS level.

It is on the contrary impressive that for such a small investment you achieved so much. Surely if you had spent, say, a week and a half during the holidays, you would have got an A or an A*.
Original post by Mellete
It is hardly surprising that you attained no more than a C for spending 10-15 hours on a project that UCAS considers to have equal weighting with an AS level.

It is on the contrary impressive that for such a small investment you achieved so much. Surely if you had spent, say, a week and a half during the holidays, you would have got an A or an A*.

Yeah, i was an idiot for doing that. Does make me wonder what could've been if i actually did say 1 hour a week, as soon as my EPQ course started...:facepalm:
Reply 1938
I'm doing the EPQ and I love it :smile: I'm doing something I do in my free time anyway and just getting a qualification for it lol
Reply 1939
Does anyone know what the word-limit is for the EPQ essay? I'm just over half way through the project (I still have my main discussion bit to do) and I have already got 5000 words.. =/ I'm worried I'm making it too long.. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending