The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Eragon.
August 31st :colondollar: Perhaps I'm being a bit eager, but I want to get close to what I got last year.

Nuh uh, it's the perfect time to start preparing. :yep:

:goodluck:
how do i get my feedback the quickest way from my university choices
Reply 2782
Original post by oloyeded020

Well, if you, lets say.... Rob a bank and end up on the front page of every newspaper, I'm pretty sure you'll get "feedback" from your university choices in record time.
Original post by oloyeded020

Best way is to e-mail them politely requesting feedback.

Though tbh you might have a bit of trouble since it's the summer holidays and I don't think admissions staff will be in/wanting to go through feedback e-mails...

But no harm in e-mailing them so I'd say do that :h:
Original post by Vulpes
Well, if you, lets say.... Rob a bank and end up on the front page of every newspaper, I'm pretty sure you'll get "feedback" from your university choices in record time.

:lol:

First sarcastic comment I've seen you make...

And so it begins :colone:
Reply 2784
Original post by Penguinsaysquack

First sarcastic comment I've seen you make...

And so it begins :colone:

Lol. :tongue:

Summer job just started yesterday. Guess I'm a bit worn out :wink:
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
Hey guys :smile:
Sorry to double post but i need some advice.
Based on academics and UKCAT alone:
UKCAT average: 662.5
UKCAT total: 2650
GCSEs: 4A*s 5As 1B
Predicted: A*A*A (hope i get these)

I want to know if these choices are unrealistic:

Southampton: UKCAT Cut-off doesn't seem to be that high and i think they use the total (rather than the average) as a cut-off. Plus they don't interview (just in case i'm hopeless at interview - never really got a chance to find out :redface:) Plus they don't seem to prefer all A* at GCSE candidates

PCMD: I got the impression that if you've already achieved AAA, then UKCAT isn't reallyyy the be all and end all and the individual cut-offs don't seem very high compared to what i got. Plus A levels is as far as they go for academics i think

Manchester: my risky option. I really like it. Their official cut-off for 2011 is lower than mine (again they use a total) - just hope it doesn't sky rocket this year like Sheffield. Also hoping that if you've already got AAA at a level then they may look at UKCAT less? - correct me if i'm wrong.

Liverpool/Bristol: in case everyone does really well in the UKCAT this year and most unis have a high cut-off

IF i'm mistaken about ANYTHING i've said about these unis or you think they're too risky, maybe from personal experience, please warn me now.

Thanks
Peace
Safe
One
xx

Sotton are interviewing for the first time this year.

you should be grand for PMS ( i'm applying there too and you'd be over cut off anyway) but i think there's more of an emphasis on re-applicants getting A*'s

fine for liverpool dont know about bristol

manchester is a risky option but go for it anyway.

And 662.5 is a good ukcat average.
Really well done on DA.

Now it's personal statement time. especially since sotton used it last year as basically their entire application system from what i understand.
Original post by joemullally
Sotton are interviewing for the first time this year.

you should be grand for PMS ( i'm applying there too and you'd be over cut off anyway) but i think there's more of an emphasis on re-applicants getting A*'s

fine for liverpool dont know about bristol

manchester is a risky option but go for it anyway.

And 662.5 is a good ukcat average.
Really well done on DA.

Now it's personal statement time. especially since sotton used it last year as basically their entire application system from what i understand.

Oops i didn't even now soton were going to start interviewing this year :colondollar: shows how much i know.. Well that changes things..

Yeah i sort of gathered that about PMS

I'm completely unclear about what bristol want to see in an application.. They don't seem to be specific on anything which makes it a risk to apply there in itself

Thanks for the info/advice :smile: I'm so worried about wasting my options as i was very very unwise about them last year so i'll only let myself have 1 risky-ish option this year (as opposed to 3)
I will worry about drafting my ps after results day cos i haven't really had a break since exams :tongue: (started work and UKCAT prep immediately)
Have you started on yours already?
Reply 2787
2 weeks left now. Almost. What grades do you lot see as the lowest possible to apply with? I'm doing 4 A-Levels and I reckon AAAB would be my bare minimum, but I'm sure that wouldn't be good enough for a range of schools. Arghhh, tension.
Oops i didn't even now soton were going to start interviewing this year :colondollar: shows how much i know.. Well that changes things..

Yeah i sort of gathered that about PMS

I'm completely unclear about what bristol want to see in an application.. They don't seem to be specific on anything which makes it a risk to apply there in itself

Thanks for the info/advice :smile: I'm so worried about wasting my options as i was very very unwise about them last year so i'll only let myself have 1 risky-ish option this year (as opposed to 3)
I will worry about drafting my ps after results day cos i haven't really had a break since exams :tongue: (started work and UKCAT prep immediately)
Have you started on yours already?

nearly finished need to sort out a couple of things eventually but it's nearly there and I have time.
I'll probably do it whenever i'm not completely shattered after work if that happens sometime.

I'm only applying to one complete risk. but it's kinda calculated because i'm working off last years feedback.

Two of them my ukcat should be high enough unless they shoot up.

and the other one send out a questionnaire so I can explain my GCSE's and the mitigating circumstances involved. So hopefully they'll be lenient on the academic front and judge me more on my PS, UKCAT and A level results.
Original post by Eragon.
2 weeks left now. Almost. What grades do you lot see as the lowest possible to apply with? I'm doing 4 A-Levels and I reckon AAAB would be my bare minimum, but I'm sure that wouldn't be good enough for a range of schools. Arghhh, tension.

AAAB would be fine at A level.
Everywhere except cambridge this year.
Even peninsula's A*AA / AAA should be ok with that.

sorry for double posting guys.
nearly finished need to sort out a couple of things eventually but it's nearly there and I have time.
I'll probably do it whenever i'm not completely shattered after work if that happens sometime.

I'm only applying to one complete risk. but it's kinda calculated because i'm working off last years feedback.

Two of them my ukcat should be high enough unless they shoot up.

and the other one send out a questionnaire so I can explain my GCSE's and the mitigating circumstances involved. So hopefully they'll be lenient on the academic front and judge me more on my PS, UKCAT and A level results.

Wow. I haven't written a single line. I don't know why i let the UKCAT consume my life this past month..
But i'm keeping a diary about work, and reading medical articles/ethics books so i guess i'm just "collating all my material". Tbh though, work is soo tiring that i just want to eat and sleep as soon as i get in.

What unis in particular are you talking about?

If you already achieve AAA, most unis won't look so much at GCSEs as they're no longer your most recent academic qualifications (proof that you can pass the exams is all they are i think). Us reapplicants would then have more to prove in terms of experience (life & healthcare related), dedication etc. But as you said, best to let them no of the circumstances involved so you've left no stone unturned.

I'm also hoping that they don't shoot up
Also worried about individual cut off scores for each section. Don't want VR to screw me over..
Reply 2791
Wow. I haven't written a single line. I don't know why i let the UKCAT consume my life this past month..
But i'm keeping a diary about work, and reading medical articles/ethics books so i guess i'm just "collating all my material". Tbh though, work is soo tiring that i just want to eat and sleep as soon as i get in.

If you already achieve AAA, most unis won't look so much at GCSEs as they're no longer your most recent academic qualifications (proof that you can pass the exams is all they are i think). Us reapplicants would then have more to prove in terms of experience (life & healthcare related), dedication etc. But as you said, best to let them no of the circumstances involved so you've left no stone unturned.

Also worried about individual cut off scores for each section. Don't want VR to screw me over..

my Achilles heels

Most uni's only rely on an average these days.

Leeds is my risk. It would be my first choice but i'd also chew my own arm off for a medicine offer in the same way that i'd chew it off to be ambidextrous. I got 33/46 on their application system last year and to get an interview you needed 39. Achieved grades is +2 and i got 18/24 for my ps so i need 4 more from my P/s which is a risk tbh.

PMS and Barts I should be above cut off for.

Dundee send out an online questionnaire for mitigating circumstances. and apparently they adjust your application accordingly.

And my GCSE's are the most likely thing to hold me back. especially since my UKCAT is better.

DMZ you legend.
How are you?
I'm guessing last year didn't go to plan?

What now then man?
Original post by dmz
my Achilles heels

:console:
But was that an issue for you this year?
If so, i stand corrected :colondollar:
Reply 2795
DMZ you legend.
How are you?
I'm guessing last year didn't go to plan?

What now then man?

Hey! How's the job hunt?!
I'm not bad, just preping for uni, few more weeks,
Nah, but i'm happy with how things turned out :smile:

studying medical engineering and i'm hoping to do GEM after
Original post by dmz

:aetsch:
Reply 2797
:console:
But was that an issue for you this year?
If so, i stand corrected :colondollar:

yer, i did mess up an interview, but it's the only reasonable explanation why i didn't get an interview at leeds cos i had 22/24 for PS i think and only 9/16 for academics when i was predicted 4A's. But when everyone's brilliant just about everything counts
Reply 2798
Original post by firestar101
:aetsch:

shouldn't you be looking for a job? lol
Original post by dmz

Two jobs.
Medical laboratory assistant (full time)
and Healthcare assistant (bank)

That's cool. I think I'm gonna put medical genetics as a fifth this year. I just loved genetics at A level. But it was obviously not the whole story. They didn't even teach us about operons. I want to learn so much though.

And as a person who took a gap. Around how many times is normal have a whole i'm taking a massive risk and I should have just gone to uni in september meltdown?

I also had 9/16 for my GCSE's
6/6 reference
if i got +2 for acheived grades and then your ps score i'd be grand for an interview.

Chance I could give it a once over sometime?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply