The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by secretmessages
I take back everything I said about the Virgin Media router a couple of weeks ago. It's crap.

Also, I really need a new computer, this one is dying :sad:

:awesome:
Reply 9401
Hai guise!!!

I hope I haven't gone insane here, but is this the Apple society now? :P

In an unrelated note, Dell's U2711 and U2311 are on their last runs. The products replacing them are lower resolutions.

P.S. Hotel WiFi is shocking.
Original post by Flibbles
I've had an MBP 13" (sent back due to a dead pixel and ended up waiting for the new Airs) and now own a 2011 MBA 13" so I can offer you a review of both:

MBP:
Pros: Optical drive, more ports and slightly faster CPU.
Cons: The screen is much more glossy than the Air. Roughly 50% heavier (4.5lbs). Lower screen resolution.

MBA:
Pros: Weight (2.9lbs), sharper screen, very quick solid state hard drive.
Cons: Slightly less battery life- seem to be getting about 30 mins less out of it compared to the MBP. You're still looking at a good 6 hours at sub-50% brightness, even more without WiFi.

Overall I'm glad I bought the Air, it's definitely the better choice considering I'll be taking it everywhere at uni.

Any other questions about them feel free to ask :smile:

Thanks for the info. This is hard. I might have to look into alternatives so I'm not completely wasting money paying for something that I don't fully need. :holmes:

Original post by Mad Vlad
I take a break for a little while and this happens?!

Snap out of it, man. :lolwut:

Without your constant Anti-Apple presence, it's so very easy to fall into temptation. :sad:
Original post by Tathrim

:pierre:
Reply 9404
Original post by Tathrim
Hai guise!!!

In an unrelated note, Dell's U2711 and U2311 are on their last runs. The products replacing them are lower resolutions.

Didn't you get the memo? :erm:
Original post by Tathrim
Hai guise!!!

:eek: link?
Okay, need some opinions.

What would you do? Upgrade from 3.1GHz to 3.4GHz, or from 4GB RAM to 8GB, assuming it costs the same to do so?
Okay, need some opinions.

What would you do? Upgrade from 3.1GHz to 3.4GHz, or from 4GB RAM to 8GB, assuming it costs the same to do so?

GHz isn't really a great indication of how good a CPU is. What are the CPU models?
Original post by Chrosson

GHz isn't really a great indication of how good a CPU is. What are the CPU models?

3.1GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Do you need more than that?
3.1GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Do you need more than that?

Yeah, processor model number? Then we can compare like cores, cache size, die size, TDP...
Original post by spikeymike

Yeah, processor model number? Then we can compare like cores, cache size, die size, TDP...

Whatever the new iMacs have :colondollar:

Sorry Vlad...
So basically the far right of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac_%28Intel-based%29#Unibody_iMac
i.e. i5 2400 and i7 2600

But thinking about it I (for my use case) would go for the RAM doubling regardless of processor, merely because I run VMs and a lot of other programs at the same time - 4GB is just not enough.
(edited 12 years ago)
Whatever the new iMacs have :colondollar:

Sorry Vlad...

Lol, the upgrade from 4GB to 8GB RAM is £160, should cost like £40 more at max. The **** are they playing at.

How can a 1TB to 2TB cost another £120, thats ridiculous, 1TB HDD is £45 where 2TB is about £60.

Can't help you if Apple think Tech Specs are as vanilla as that.

Lol, the upgrade from 4GB to 8GB RAM is £160, should cost like £40 more at max. The **** are they playing at.

How can a 1TB to 2TB cost another £120, thats ridiculous, 1TB HDD is £45 where 2TB is about £60.

Can't help you if Apple think Tech Specs are as vanilla as that.

Just answer the question tbh :colonhash: If you had to go for one or the other..

So basically the far right of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac_%28Intel-based%29#Unibody_iMac
i.e. i5 2400 and i7 2600

But thinking about it I (for my use case) would go for the RAM doubling regardless of processor, merely because I run VMs and a lot of other programs at the same time - 4GB is just not enough.

Hmm okay :holmes: I've hardly ever used 4GB before so I don't know.
Just answer the question tbh :colonhash: If you had to go for one or the other..

I'd go for i5 and 4GB RAM

I'd go for i5 and 4GB RAM

You're so confusing, but thanks :yy:
You're so confusing, but thanks :yy:

How am I confusing? As a Windows system builder, Apple offer ridiculous upgrade prices.
Hmm okay :holmes: I've hardly ever used 4GB before so I don't know.

Are you sure you know how much you use?
Resource monitor with Vista and 7 is quite handy, but if you haven't used 4GB (20 chrome tabs on generic sites with flash adverts will take a big chunk) then go for the CPU.

That said, consider that Crucial offer Mac RAM and I've seen it installed successfully before - might be a cheaper option?
How am I confusing? As a Windows system builder, Apple offer ridiculous upgrade prices.

Because you said upgrading the RAM was ridiculously overpriced and then went ahead to say it was the best option :p:

Are you sure you know how much you use?
Resource monitor with Vista and 7 is quite handy, but if you haven't used 4GB (20 chrome tabs on generic sites with flash adverts will take a big chunk) then go for the CPU.

That said, consider that Crucial offer Mac RAM and I've seen it installed successfully before - might be a cheaper option?

Yeah, well I use Ubuntu most of the time but I always have some kind of resource monitor open. Only using 1.2GB at the moment but I'm not doing much admittedly. Interesting what you say about Crucial RAM, thanks.

Also, I'm an idiot when it comes to these things and don't really know what causes slowness so.. say.. when I open 10 Chrome tabs simultaneously, it goes a bit sluggish - what do I need more of to fix that?

Latest

Trending

Trending