The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

on checkouts today, and as the whole customer service BS i said "how are you", and the customer just laughed in my face. no reply, no acknowledgement, nothing. i hate the public sometimes :frown:
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how much Sainsbury's pay 16 year olds?
Original post by BloodyMary
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how much Sainsbury's pay 16 year olds?

They scrapped the junior rate a few months ago so a 16 year old will get the same new starter rate as everyone else in your store. What you get depends on your region though. Pretty sure I started on 5.92 p/h but that was 2 years ago so you'll probably be looking at something over £6 p/h.
Reply 9043
Original post by Debbie2709
They scrapped the junior rate a few months ago so a 16 year old will get the same new starter rate as everyone else in your store. What you get depends on your region though. Pretty sure I started on 5.92 p/h but that was 2 years ago so you'll probably be looking at something over £6 p/h.

You have to work 6 months before you get the higher rate though unfortunately. So for 6 months you get £4.70 or thereabouts, then jump up to £6.37 after 6 months.
I'm worried I might be in deep **** when I get back to work. Last sunday I was given one of the safe keys when I helped to do the cash counting at my store (sainsbury's local) then the CSA I was working with told me she'd let me know who to leave my key with but never did. I forgot all about the key and went home and have now been off for a whole week including this weekend i took off for a festival. I discovered the key in my fleece pocket today when I was going to wash it. No one has rang me about it and I don't work till wednesday so I'm thinking I should drop it off tomorrow and explain but I don't want to get told off lol.
Original post by BeesKnees
I'm worried I might be in deep **** when I get back to work. Last sunday I was given one of the safe keys when I helped to do the cash counting at my store (sainsbury's local) then the CSA I was working with told me she'd let me know who to leave my key with but never did. I forgot all about the key and went home and have now been off for a whole week including this weekend i took off for a festival. I discovered the key in my fleece pocket today when I was going to wash it. No one has rang me about it and I don't work till wednesday so I'm thinking I should drop it off tomorrow and explain but I don't want to get told off lol.

Give it back asap. They didn't miss it so in my eyes it is their fault rather than you who didn't even know you had it.

Did you sign for it and everything?
Reply 9047
Just about to write my resignation letter here. My department is managerless as of Friday last week (he's moved to Tesco's after an offer he 'couldnt refuse' lol). Should I just address it to the HR manager instead?
Original post by cjcw20
Just about to write my resignation letter here. My department is managerless as of Friday last week (he's moved to Tesco's after an offer he 'couldnt refuse' lol). Should I just address it to the HR manager instead?

Yeah just address it to the HR manager, our store didn't have a proper checkout manager for over a year when the existing one went on maternity leave so I addressed my resignation letter to HR and it was all fine. They are the ones they have to process it anyway, so even if you handed it to your manager it would get passed on to them eventually.
Reply 9049

I wouldn't worry all too much, there should be two sets of keys for the safe (there are in both the stores I work in). I'm sure they would've got hold of you by now to ask for it back if they didn't! (Hope so anyway!)
Ok so they werw cool about thw key phew! They knew i had it as i'd signed for it but said it was their fault anyway as they should've told me who to give it to. Crisis averted lol.
Original post by Dirty Dream Number Two
Did you sign for it and everything?

I love belle and sebastian btw :smile:
unfortunately i work in siansburys night shift Friday night Saturday night

though the pay is good often my fellow colleagues get suicidal tendencies
Original post by mohsanrabbani
unfortunately i work in siansburys night shift Friday night Saturday night

though the pay is good often my fellow colleagues get suicidal tendencies

Really? I started working night shifts a few weeks back and love it! Everyone is really cool and laid back and we have a good laugh. It's nice and peaceful at night and I like that I don't have to deal with customers.
Original post by TSR Dragon
Really? I started working night shifts a few weeks back and love it! Everyone is really cool and laid back and we have a good laugh. It's nice and peaceful at night and I like that I don't have to deal with customers.

iv been working in night shift sainsburys for just over a year, in my opinion/experience you start to despise the job the longer you stay at it.

it may be coz i work in a very large store(brahead) so you tend to do a lot of work
Reply 9055
Hey guys, 19 year old on checkouts here.

Going to university in September and know a couple of people who work at the same store who only work when they are back from university in the holidays.

Just wondering what the chances of getting this kind of contract are, i've worked 9 months here and havn't missed a days work and would love to stay on in the holidays, especially since most of my mates who have come back from uni have really struggled to get one.

I would apply to get transferred except that there isn't a Sainsbury's where i am going -.-

Cheers
Original post by mohsanrabbani
iv been working in night shift sainsburys for just over a year, in my opinion/experience you start to despise the job the longer you stay at it.

it may be coz i work in a very large store(brahead) so you tend to do a lot of work

Ours is a massive one too and there is a lot of work, but I like that :smile:. Yes, perhaps I just haven't been there long enough. But I've done some pretty awful jobs in my time so this one will probably always look good by comparison! I'm treated really well, but maybe it's just because I'm new :dontknow:. Well I like it for now, and the money is good :smile:.
Reply 9057
Is there anyone that invested in sharesave? I notice that the share prices has been falling by quite alot lately, it's now £2.96, it was £3.85 back in January. I had the choice of investing in 2008 for £2.24. I was wondering if anyone applied in 2008, and whether you think it was a good decision?

I only got £18 bonus for 2011, and was wondering if this is a sign that Sainsburys isn't doing too well, which is why share price is falling?
Reply 9058
Original post by Taurus92
Hey guys, 19 year old on checkouts here.

Going to university in September and know a couple of people who work at the same store who only work when they are back from university in the holidays.

Just wondering what the chances of getting this kind of contract are, i've worked 9 months here and havn't missed a days work and would love to stay on in the holidays, especially since most of my mates who have come back from uni have really struggled to get one.

I would apply to get transferred except that there isn't a Sainsbury's where i am going -.-

Cheers

In our store there's a poster up about this type of thing. Talk to your Personnel/HR manager and explain your situation and ask about becoming a 'VAC' employee. Sainsbury's usually needs seasonal workers, especially at Christmas, and taking back someone they know they can depend on is a win-win situation for both them and you. I'd advise you to talk to them as soon as possible so you're close to the top of the pile. :smile:
Reply 9059
Original post by GuyUK
Is there anyone that invested in sharesave? I notice that the share prices has been falling by quite alot lately, it's now £2.96, it was £3.85 back in January. I had the choice of investing in 2008 for £2.24. I was wondering if anyone applied in 2008, and whether you think it was a good decision?

I only got £18 bonus for 2011, and was wondering if this is a sign that Sainsburys isn't doing too well, which is why share price is falling?

im in sharesave, started in the 2010 sign up so still got 2 and a bit years to go.
The way i see it, is that you will get at least what you put in it (if you don't take count inflation) as you can pull out any time, take your money as it is at maturity if share price is less than the discounted price at the start of the plan or buy shares then sell if the surrent days share price is higher where you will make a gain.

the discounted share price in my case is £2.97 so no gain there for me at todays current price. shares are definately on a downtrend, it's just not Sainsbury's, others like Tesco are the same

Latest

Trending

Trending