The Student Room Group
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website

How Safe is Lincoln as a city?

How do people get back to halls, has anyone had any bad experiences ect? Also during freshers week are there any people who come round halls and take all the 1st years into town and show them the best clubs like there are at some other universities?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's really dangerous, you'll probably be murdered in your sleep by some strangers, and then you'll be robbed... Wait, that's London :erm:
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website
Original post by HollieilloH
How do people get back to halls, has anyone had any bad experiences ect? Also during freshers week are there any people who come round halls and take all the 1st years into town and show them the best clubs like there are at some other universities?

The answers to your questions are:

1. Walk, the city centre is compact enough that you can walk pretty much to and from anywhere. I didn't use a taxi once in 3 years.

2. Not personally, and none of my friends ever had any problems. Lincoln's a pretty safe city, in terms of crime it's nothing compared to Nottingham, Birmingham, Manchester, London etc. The only crime i ever really heard about was students houses being burgled, usually in the Carholme area.

3. Yeh, there are a team of Freshers Helpers who will be about the student village and various accommodations helping people move their stuff in. They'll also be around in Freshers Week taking people out, giving advice and generally hanging around campus helping out where possible.
Reply 3
Thanks thats a lot of help!
Reply 4
ive never had any trouble
Avoid Ermine, St Giles, Birchwood + Monks Road area and you'll be alreet...

Lived here for 8 years :smile:
Reply 6
Safe as houses (that are in Lincoln)
Mostly safe. The usual council estates to avoid, but less of them than other cities.
Reply 8
Original post by Party By Myself

Oi! I live on the Ermine. It's not that bad. It's posh compared to places like moss side in Manchester and just about the whole of Grimsby.
Reply 9
Original post by Redimp
Oi! I live on the Ermine. It's not that bad. It's posh compared to places like moss side in Manchester and just about the whole of Grimsby.

I live in grimsby... Its not that bad here!!!!
Original post by Redimp

hahaha, I was hoping someone would reply :colone:
Reply 11
Original post by jamee246
I live in grimsby... Its not that bad here!!!!

Haha, I did say 'just about', I guess Freshney place is ok! :tongue:
hahaha, I was hoping someone would reply :colone:

Just defending the honor of the poor souls who have lived here for years and have to put up with the illiterate chavs that have seemed to migrated here from St Giles. :tongue:
Reply 12
best bet is to fork out extra money and stay in somewhere junxion pavillion student village like to get the benefits of 4 doors before your bedroom and double glazing.. failing that get a bigger house sharing with more people
Reply 13

I JUST moved into a house on Chelmsford Street. Seems like a pretty safe area (even if there are quite a few chavs). Am i right?
Reply 14
Don't worry about Lincoln, It's really safe.. Crime rate is below average; you never hear anyone murdered or anything and burglary isn't common either.
As some one stated, avoid; St. Giles, Sincil Bank area and Birchwood. These are the worst ones in Lincoln but then again nothing compared to major cities, you only get those skinny chavvy boys who can't really harm you :L

For students West of Lincoln is the most popular; West Parade, West End... as its safe to live in (as in less burgulary, thieves, etc...), is basically 5 minutes from the Uni/town, there's a nice river and cycle path and common for summer days, etc...

P.S. I live in West End :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
lincoln is reltiveley safe,
but it is like any other city and there is some crime, burglaries, occasional violence etc.

but usuallt it is very very safe,
i have not personally had any issues with violence or anything, but one of my friends did get attacked and mugged, but it wasnt too serious and he did walk down a dark alley at night on his own,

also there was a murder outside chicken cottage a couple of years ago and just over a year ago there was a murder in the mezz bar in junxions, but that was a gange revenge killing.

other than those 2 things in the past 3 years there hasnt really been any seroius crime of what i have heard.

in conclusion lincoln is really safe and you will be fine.

there are freshers helpers (one of which i am) who will help you get to know your way round during freshers week.
Reply 16
From what I have heard Lincoln is rather safe. The only thing I know that has happened to someone is one of my flatmates nearly got beaten up by a fat woman in Mcdonalds because she didn't like uni students :laugh: one of the most funniest things I have seen in my life.
Hi there,

Whenever you Google or look on any local news site for any area, bad news stories are always bound to pop up!
If you take a look at the hard stats here: http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...tudent-cities/ we actually fair quite well. It is also fair to say that as we are a city centre campus, that crime rates are probably going to look a bit higher than say that of Aberystwyth, as their campus is further away from the centre!

I personally found as a student here that I never felt unsafe, the streets are all very well lit, there's a good police presence and lots of security staff around campus!

Hope this helps

Georgia (Journalism Graduate & Social Media Officer)
St Giles is ok. Lived here 15 years. Beware of urban myths
Reply 19
Anyone know if St Georges Park is ok to live at? The local shops are Ermine. Am i wasting my time house hunting on st georges estate?

Quick Reply

Latest