The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RollerBall
Proper pleated chinos mind you. None of this topman ****.

Massively seconded.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by crazylemon
I wear them normally and intend to wear them.

What do people thing of stripped shirts? I tend to wear them but I have heard some consultants can be iffy. I know some of my shirts are not suitable (cerise pink one for example) but I don't know what is allowed/not.

I haven't decided whether to get a waiscoat or not so I can wear a tie...(this wouldn't be with chinos obvs)

Surely the waistcoat is just a step closer to being that **** in a suit? :tongue: If you want a tie, wear a tie clip?
Hmm, maybe I'll give it a go. How long was the playtime, I've heard it's very short? Ah, I had a PS1 then a Nintendo 64 when it was in it's final year. I then had my PS2, then I picked up a gamecube basically for free (Mate gave me it in exchange for some runescape money :P). Then I picked up an xbox in it's last year of life to play halo 2 online. Then I bought a 360 and built my PC a year later. Sums up my console history up to the last four years when it hasn't changed. Bar the snes at the start.

What's all this business about posts being deleted? Have I missed something?

It's what I wear. I wouldn't wear anything else tbh. Proper pleated chinos mind you. None of this topman ****.

It's a little short I guess, 10 or so hours maybe? Probably no shorter than previous games in the series but maybe a little easier to do with less retries. I started off with a megadrive, then Saturn and played a lot on my brothers n64, then dreamcast, xbox, gamecube, 360, Wii. Have had all Nintendo handhelds too although no 3ds yet. Don't tend to play many pc games.

Oh some applicant or summat posted a couple of times, I requested they stop, a couple of spammy posts later I asked less nicely, and have received some pretty lairy messages.
I personally dislike tieclips. Nothing wrong with a waistcoat. Or a pocketwatch that I would also get :p:

Are top-hats and tailcoats against infection control?
I genuinely didn't realise some people had a thing about chinos. But then I guess in real life I wear camo shorts or jeans and a band tshirt. My long hair will probably take away from any potential issue anyway :tongue:
Reply 4825
How about cords?

I've got a pair similar to this:

which I'd wear with a black sleeveless jumper and smart shirt. Have worn it on placement before and no-one's seemed offended, would I be pushing it in an OSCE though? :beard:
Reply 4826
I've just bought a load of chinos for september: both khaki and greyish. Will make life easier being machine washable compared to my shiny grey suit trousers which I used for clinical stuff last year which were dry clean only.
Reply 4827
Original post by Wangers
Anyone seen this case?

The family and the former partner of a woman in a “minimally aware” state are asking the High Court in London to rule that she should have artificial feeding withdrawn and be allowed to die.

Her older sister said the 51 year old woman, named only as M, would prefer death to being permanently dependent on others for her care.

The case is the first in which the court has been asked to allow artificial nutrition and hydration to be discontinued where the patient is deemed to be not quite in a persistent vegetative state. The official solicitor, representing the patient, opposes the application, arguing that she has some awareness.

M, a former hairdresser, was struck with viral encephalitis as she was about to go on holiday with her partner, S, in February 2003. The couple had been together since their early twenties.

S wept as he told the court: “It’s not about us at all. We can only speak up for her, nothing more. We are her voice. We have no ulterior motive. We just know who she was and her opinions.”

M’s older sister, known as B, also wept as she insisted that it was cruel to keep her alive. “I know in my heart of hearts that she would not want to live like that. She cannot enjoy a drink, a cup of tea or anything. She has got no pleasures in life. Just a daily routine of being taken out of bed, put in a chair and put back in bed. Shower, doubly incontinent. It is just awful. It’s not life. It’s existence. And I know she would not want that,” she told the court.

Staff at the care home where she lives say they have seen slight signs of awareness in M, such as appearing to react to people and moving her hand in time to music. But M and S argued that she would never return to being the person she once was.

After being in a coma for several weeks, M was diagnosed as being in a persistent vegetative state, but this was later changed to a minimally conscious state, just above a persistent vegetative state. Her life expectancy is estimated at about 10 years.

Caroline Harry Thomas, for the official solicitor, argued that it would be illegal to withdraw artificial nutrition and hydration from someone who was medically stable and in a minimally conscious state.

The case is continuing with evidence expected from care home staff and legal and medical experts.

In this weeks' BMJ: http://www.bmj.com/content/343/bmj.d4772.full

Thoughts?

.. I hope that my family would fight for the same.
Reply 4828
Original post by ThisLittlePiggy
Medics of TSR:

How do you feel about the wearing of chinos on wards?

pale chinos, blue shirt seems to be the standard around here

... not that I'm complaining mind. Not in the slightest :coma:
Original post by Wangers
Anyone seen this case?

The family and the former partner of a woman in a “minimally aware” state are asking the High Court in London to rule that she should have artificial feeding withdrawn and be allowed to die.

Somewhat relevant to this.. Has anyone read the papers whereby (some) veggies were able to respond to yes/no questions based upon fMRI responses. I believe they were asked to visualise playing tennis for "yes" and something else for "no" which generated distinguishable BOLD responses.

Pretty nifty.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4830
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Somewhat relevant to this.. Has anyone read the papers whereby veggies were able to respond to yes/no questions based upon fMRI responses. I believe they were asked to visualise playing tennis for "yes" and something else for "no" which generated distinguishable BOLD responses.

Pretty nifty.

Took me ages to get it, thought you were talking about vegetarians :facepalm:
Original post by lekky

Nope. They have no BOLD response at all.

:getmecoat:
Red Bull at this hour wasn't a smart choice. I suppose that early nights are for the weak.

And it is nice to see activity in here again, it went all dead for a few weeks.

Best. Intro. Ever. This does give me a bit of a solid snake. :ahee:

Original post by Mushi_master
It's a little short I guess, 10 or so hours maybe? Probably no shorter than previous games in the series but maybe a little easier to do with less retries. I started off with a megadrive, then Saturn and played a lot on my brothers n64, then dreamcast, xbox, gamecube, 360, Wii. Have had all Nintendo handhelds too although no 3ds yet. Don't tend to play many pc games.

Oh some applicant or summat posted a couple of times, I requested they stop, a couple of spammy posts later I asked less nicely, and have received some pretty lairy messages.

A Wii? What is this madness? I'll give conviction a play when I get home. Leave tomorrow :frown:. Goodbye nice weather. Untill Christmas when I'm coming back out for a week again :biggrin:

Ah, I see. Applicants are jokes though. The only reason I post in the normal medicine forum is when I feel like complaining about something/one.

Original post by Fission_Mailed
Red Bull at this hour wasn't a smart choice. I suppose that early nights are for the weak.

And it is nice to see activity in here again, it went all dead for a few weeks.

Best. Intro. Ever. This does give me a bit of a solid snake. :ahee:

I love the music to MGS. SO glad I got to see it live <3. Yeah, I blame the quietness on exams though I think.
Original post by lekky

Haha I did that too at first. :tongue:

Lots of male fashion talk in here, where are all the girls soon to be starting clinical years?
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
:ninja:

I made a mistake sorry. Never realised/noticed that it said Med STUDENTS. :colondollar: :fan:

that :fan: emoticon is great haha :p:
Reply 4836
If any of you guys are feeling bored and/or useful, feel free to fill in and have your say on the new and improved 'a week in the life of a medical student' page here. A few already have. :smile: Cheers.
A Wii? What is this madness? I'll give conviction a play when I get home. Leave tomorrow :frown:. Goodbye nice weather. Untill Christmas when I'm coming back out for a week again :biggrin:

Wii has some ace games! Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Brothers, Mario Kart - and most importantly, new Zelda on the way very soon, so ridiculously excited.

Off to Wales? I'm hitting Pembrokeshire this Saturday for the next couple of weeks, love it there.
Just 7 weeks left until I can join you lot here :moon:
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Nope. They have no BOLD response at all.

:getmecoat:

There is still no hope for these poor people sadly.

Yes, I think it's best if you both leave

Original post by mrs_bellamy
Haha I did that too at first. :tongue:

Lots of male fashion talk in here, where are all the girls soon to be starting clinical years?

:hello: I need to go shopping :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending