The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

This has just reminded me I need to get some shirts. What's a metalhead who knows nothing about smart clothes to do?!
Original post by crazylemon
That is a better way round than me who automatically gravitates to the shirt section. I have bought 2 t-shirts in the last year....

Probably costs me less in all fairness, but when it comes round to the need to buy a shirt, I just stare at them blankly and walk away :lol:
Original post by Mushi_master
This has just reminded me I need to get some shirts. What's a metalhead who knows nothing about smart clothes to do?!

If you're too lazy to trapse around the highstreet like me, asos.com usually have a good range of shirts which are actually pretty decent quality.
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
If you're too lazy to trapse around the highstreet like me, asos.com usually have a good range of shirts which are actually pretty decent quality.

Mate, I don't even know what size shirt to get :lol:
Mate, I don't even know what size shirt to get :lol:

Haha. Just buy a range of sizes and then return the ones that don't fit. Free returns iirc.
This is true...But then you can just get simple shirts. It is firms not a fashion show. It doesn't matter so long as they are not to tight/loose and are ironed.

But, how can I wear something that isn't black?!

Does not compute.
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Haha. Just buy a range of sizes and then return the ones that don't fit. Free returns iirc.

I've got a few shirts that I've worn on the odd placement/wedding, and they're now either too tight or loose. I just need to get off my arse and actually try some on.
Got an e-mail from uni saying I haven't managed to get any of my library project SSC choices for next year and need to reselect from the remaining ones! A bit annoying :frown:
Does anyone fancy clarifying what take/post-take actually means?
"Take" means "the surgical take", "the medical take", i.e. the new patients admitted under a specialty that particular day. So being "on take" means being part of the on call medical or surgical team clerking patients referred by GPs / A&E. Usually, a take refers to a 12 or 24 hour period, often demarkated by the time when a patient is seem by a consultant. A "post take ward round" (PTWR) takes place, where the consultant on call will review all the patients admitted within the past 12-24 hours who haven't yet been seen by a consultant. The morning version is intensely disliked by juniors, basically it means after a whole night on call & tired, your freshly wide awake consultant arrives and trails round the hospital reviewing all of the 30-odd patients admitted, asking detailed questions, and you have to present the patients you've seen and often many that you haven't. And you have to stay till the end, no matter what EWTD tells you. I've been there till nearly midday before. The evening version is usually slightly less painful, as individual juniors tend to present their patients with the consultant, rather than having the whole team trail after them, and it's often slightly more informal, with a consultant arriving mid-late afternoon and reviewing patients that the juniors have seen, with each junior that saw them. And generally if it's a day shift then you're a bit less tired.

At medical PTWRs, patients are usually allocated a medical team appropriate to their presenting complaint, or gen med patients go to wherever there is a bed. So slightly more evenly distributed, as medics generally only have one ward per team. For surgical teams, there is usually a consultant on call Mon-Thurs / different one for Fri-Sun. During that time, all patients admitted to surgery come under the care of that consultant's team of juniors (as in, someone else who is on call clerks them in and does the initial 12-24 hours of management, but as soon as that magic morning ward round has been completed, they become the responsibility of the consultant's ward team). Therefore Fridays can be a particularly busy time for a surgical team's juniors, as they're coping with 4 days worth of patients, which can easily be in the realms of 60-70 patients. So juniors will often talk about being "post take" when their team is the one taking responsibility for all the new patients off a post-take ward round.

Does that make sense?
Original post by junior.doctor
"Take" means "the surgical take", "the medical take", i.e. the new patients admitted under a specialty that particular day. So being "on take" means being part of the on call medical or surgical team clerking patients referred by GPs / A&E. Usually, a take refers to a 12 or 24 hour period, often demarkated by the time when a patient is seem by a consultant. A "post take ward round" (PTWR) takes place, where the consultant on call will review all the patients admitted within the past 12-24 hours who haven't yet been seen by a consultant. The morning version is intensely disliked by juniors, basically it means after a whole night on call & tired, your freshly wide awake consultant arrives and trails round the hospital reviewing all of the 30-odd patients admitted, asking detailed questions, and you have to present the patients you've seen and often many that you haven't. And you have to stay till the end, no matter what EWTD tells you. I've been there till nearly midday before. The evening version is usually slightly less painful, as individual juniors tend to present their patients with the consultant, rather than having the whole team trail after them, and it's often slightly more informal, with a consultant arriving mid-late afternoon and reviewing patients that the juniors have seen, with each junior that saw them. And generally if it's a day shift then you're a bit less tired.

At medical PTWRs, patients are usually allocated a medical team appropriate to their presenting complaint, or gen med patients go to wherever there is a bed. So slightly more evenly distributed, as medics generally only have one ward per team. For surgical teams, there is usually a consultant on call Mon-Thurs / different one for Fri-Sun. During that time, all patients admitted to surgery come under the care of that consultant's team of juniors (as in, someone else who is on call clerks them in and does the initial 12-24 hours of management, but as soon as that magic morning ward round has been completed, they become the responsibility of the consultant's ward team). Therefore Fridays can be a particularly busy time for a surgical team's juniors, as they're coping with 4 days worth of patients, which can easily be in the realms of 60-70 patients. So juniors will often talk about being "post take" when their team is the one taking responsibility for all the new patients off a post-take ward round.

Does that make sense?

Gotcha. Cheers!
Original post by RollerBall

You are a bad person.

Reply 4852
This is true...But then you can just get simple shirts. It is firms not a fashion show. It doesn't matter so long as they are not to tight/loose and are ironed.

Defs seems to be a fashion show around here :sigh: I mean some of the FY wear heels for 10 hour shifts... HOW
Original post by lekky
Defs seems to be a fashion show around here :sigh: I mean some of the FY wear heels for 10 hour shifts... HOW

I got far too used to wearing scrubs at work for the last 4 months. It was like wearing pyjamas at work every day :tongue: Less laundry to do, no having to think about work attire, comfy, pockets, if someone voms on you then you just go and get a new set... Sod fashion shows! It does annoys me when people wear mismatching scrubs though, you have to at least pick top and bottms that are roughly the same colour. Had a consultant who would insist on wearing a navy top and pale blue bottoms, just not good. I have no idea how people do it in heels. Flat shoes all the way, I value my ankles.
Original post by lekky

Thats insanes!! I got to wear scrubs for a whole year so practical but made me look massive and were a few inches too short!

I went down primarni got loads of cheap tops invested in a few pairs of decent trousers and skirts.

Oh and spent a fortune on some horrible but comfortable and long lasting shoes. I was going through a pair of shoes a month at one point because i thought they looked good.
Original post by junior.doctor

SO agree.
I always make sure mine match :biggrin:

Can't stand say light blue with really dark blue etc.
GRR :p:
I need some new chinos. I saw some nice Henry James ones somewhere.
Original post by Fission_Mailed
I need some new chinos. I saw some nice Henry James ones somewhere.

I just got some grey Tommy Hilfiger ones for £25 /smug.

Wii has some ace games! Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Brothers, Mario Kart - and most importantly, new Zelda on the way very soon, so ridiculously excited.

Off to Wales? I'm hitting Pembrokeshire this Saturday for the next couple of weeks, love it there.

Yeah, I live in the south. Smallish (Still like fourth highest population in Wales though) town called Cwmbran.

You can wear a black shirt/black trowsers number if you want to maintain the metalhead persona btw. Actually looks quite smart. Lose the band tees though:tongue:
Original post by RollerBall
I just got some grey Tommy Hilfiger ones for £25 /smug.

Neat.

BTW, this reminds me: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metal-Gear-Solid-HD-Collection/dp/B0058H1YOG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312482033&sr=8-1

Highly excited about this.
Reply 4859
One of my old teachers funeral tomorrow, not sure whether to go? He taught me for 2 years and was a great guy, really it's thanks to him I got an A in maths, just don't know whether it's entirely appropriate as I only knew him in college.

Latest

Trending

Trending