The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6300
Thats amazing! Well done :smile:

The practice tests on the UKCAT website are really hard, especially for the QR. I barely finish half of the questions although the maths content is relatively easy. Are the questions for QR really long to read and understand or simple in the real thing? I heard that maths was a lot easier...is that true?
Original post by kashkadi
Thats amazing! Well done :smile:

The practice tests on the UKCAT website are really hard, especially for the QR. I barely finish half of the questions although the maths content is relatively easy. Are the questions for QR really long to read and understand or simple in the real thing? I heard that maths was a lot easier...is that true?

Definitely, there were still some questions that had a few steps, but I just guessed those ones and concentrated on the simpler, one step calculations. There were a lot more questions asking for an average or percentage on the real thing (for me anyway), and even some that just asked you to add some numbers together! Even so, the time limit is still a problem, so it's important to keep moving on and make sure to put something down for every question.

Hope that clears things up a bit! :smile:
Reply 6302
ahh thanks for that :smile: I feel a bit better because in the practice tests for QR I dont get more than 10/36 when maths is actually my strong point :s-smilie:
what did you get in the practice tests?
ahh thanks for that :smile: I feel a bit better because in the practice tests for QR I dont get more than 10/36 when maths is actually my strong point :s-smilie:

Erm, I can't remember exactly but I think it was just over half for AR and DA, and just below half marks for QR and VR. Sorry I can't be more specific.
Reply 6304
I've been on TSR for a few years now and I swear the UKCAT scores have never been this high. Haven't booked mine yet but I'm not sure whether to be encouraged or discouraged by all these 800+ scores...

Im having the exact same problem with QR.
in the practice test i just did i got 30/44 (vr) 10/36 (qr) 37/65 (ar) and 22/28 (da) ... how has everyone else been doing in the practice tests?

my AR is really weak too :ashamed:
Just did the 600q mock:

QR - 31/40

AR - 52/65

VR - 24/44

DA - 22/29

Test booked for next thursday :s-smilie:
Reply 6307
Original post by MrsNorthman
Just did the 600q mock:

QR - 31/40

AR - 52/65

VR - 24/44

DA - 22/29

Test booked for next thursday :s-smilie:

Did you do the QR timed? I cant finish it! :frown:
What techniques do you use for these sections...?
Original post by Loulibelle
Hello! I find myself in EXACTLY the same position with the 600Q book!! Do you think it's easier or more difficult than the actual thing? I swear some of the AR Q's in it are near ridiculous!

Oh dear lord. AR. :afraid:

The 600Q book has managed to completely terrify me :tongue: got my test on the 20th! :eek:
Has anyone done the Kaplan online practice test?

Do you think it's more difficult/easier/about right compared to the real UKCAT??

I didn't do it timed because I kept having to scroll up and down doing it off the laptop screen....

I got VR: 670, QR: 730, AR: 650, DA: 570
:s don't know what happened to DA!!

I think if you don't see the pattern immediately in AR then don't try finding it, just go with gut instinct!!
Original post by WoefullyUninspired

The 600Q book has managed to completely terrify me :tongue: got my test on the 20th! :eek:

Yep... I'm terrified by the 600Q book... I quite literally feel physically sick constantly with worry!!

AGGGGGHHHHHHH :redface:
Original post by Loulibelle
Yep... I'm terrified by the 600Q book... I quite literally feel physically sick constantly with worry!!

AGGGGGHHHHHHH :redface:

Just calm down and breathe. :tongue:

It says in the book (I think) to take on a relaxed and winning approach towards the questions. I know it may sound useless, but it does actually help me when I'm practising for it. What I do is try 1 set of questions, then check the answers, then do the next. That way, it's not a massive chunk of horrible questions and you start to think in the way they want you to think. :smile:
Original post by Joseppea

Original post by Joseppea
Just calm down and breathe. :tongue:

It says in the book (I think) to take on a relaxed and winning approach towards the questions. I know it may sound useless, but it does actually help me when I'm practising for it. What I do is try 1 set of questions, then check the answers, then do the next. That way, it's not a massive chunk of horrible questions and you start to think in the way they want you to think. :smile:

Annnnnnd, breatttttttheeeee.... haha :smile:

The thing is, the test is designed to separate those who are genuinely clever from those who simply 'try hard'... unfortunately I fall into the latter category.... :frown:

Bad times for the wannabe brainiac!!! :wink:
Reply 6313
Hey again everyone, I've just got back from a 25 day expedition to Argentina so sorry if I didn't reply to anyone's messages!
Reply 6314

Ive got mine on the 20th as well and im just managing to finish the VR and DA on time. How have you been practising for yours?
Just some advice here please.

Is there a minimum requirement for Higher results before you would even be considered for medicine.

I got 3 A's ( Maths, Chemistry, Info Systems) and 2 B's ( Biology, english) and am also taking advanced chemistry and biology next year and am hopeful of doing well in those ( maybe 2 A's)

I know you dont just get accepted by results alone, you need to show your outgoing and done work experience etc. but would these higher results be good enough?

Thanks.
Reply 6316
Original post by brionyak
Ive got mine on the 20th as well and im just managing to finish the VR and DA on time. How have you been practising for yours?

Snap! I have mine on the 20th :biggrin: Quietly bricking myself too...
Did you do the QR timed? I cant finish it! :frown:
What techniques do you use for these sections...?

Nahhh, I did for the others, but for QR I just did it as quickly as I could.

Techniques.. umm just practice I guess. A lot happier with the AR, things just seemed to make sense to me, maybe because I was relaxed I don't know.

But yeah, practice til you're comfortable :smile:
Reply 6318
Original post by 1311grant

Is there a minimum requirement for Higher results before you would even be considered for medicine.

I got 3 A's ( Maths, Chemistry, Info Systems) and 2 B's ( Biology, english) and am also taking advanced chemistry and biology next year and am hopeful of doing well in those ( maybe 2 A's)

I know you dont just get accepted by results alone, you need to show your outgoing and done work experience etc. but would these higher results be good enough?

Thanks.

You'd be considered for Dundee and possibly Aberdeen but the rest in Scotland require AAAAB to be considered. Aim for a really high UKCAT. There may also be some unis in England that would consider you, but you would need to get AAA at Advanced higher.
Reply 6319
Original post by 1311grant

Thanks.

See here for Medical Entry Requirements in Scottish Highers.

Latest

Trending

Trending