The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Suddenly filled with dread about Results Day.
Original post by tommy1311
Suddenly filled with dread about Results Day.

:ditto:
Original post by Salliana23
:ditto:

Looking at your academics, I get the feeling you'll be fine. :smile:
Reply 2243
Oxford 2011 Results Thread

Anybody who has already received their results can post them in the above thread.

No chat in there though please, keep it in here :smile:
Original post by Zoedotdot
Oxford 2011 Results Thread

Anybody who has already received their results can post them in the above thread.

No chat in there though please, keep it in here :smile:

This may seem a ridiculous question, so I'll apologise for wasting your time in advance...sorry...But for Oxbridge, are they so over-subscribed that ringing them up on results day if I miss an offer by a grade would be futile?
Reply 2245
This may seem a ridiculous question, so I'll apologise for wasting your time in advance...sorry...But for Oxbridge, are they so over-subscribed that ringing them up on results day if I miss an offer by a grade would be futile?

No, by all means ring them up! It is definitely worth your while to try, as they do frequently take people who have narrowly missed their offers. If it does come down to that (and I hope it won't!) just call your college admissions office and they'll let you know what your position is.

Not a ridiculous question at all, it comes up every year and it's definitely worth knowing that you can ring them :smile:
No, by all means ring them up! It is definitely worth your while to try, as they do frequently take people who have narrowly missed their offers. If it does come down to that (and I hope it won't!) just call your college admissions office and they'll let you know what your position is.

Not a ridiculous question at all, it comes up every year and it's definitely worth knowing that you can ring them :smile:

Thanks! I can just see the spanner in the works now, could literally be 2 UMS in it for more than one subject, so I'll just have to see. Suddenly hit me that it's two weeks away. :s-smilie:

Also, does the 'summer pool' exist, or is that something I made up in my head? Obviously I'm hoping it didn't come to that, but just trying to forsee all potential avenues now, so it's not a huge shock come the 18th.
Reply 2247
Thanks! I can just see the spanner in the works now, could literally be 2 UMS in it for more than one subject, so I'll just have to see. Suddenly hit me that it's two weeks away. :s-smilie:

Also, does the 'summer pool' exist, or is that something I made up in my head? Obviously I'm hoping it didn't come to that, but just trying to forsee all potential avenues now, so it's not a huge shock come the 18th.

Fingers crossed for you! I remember being in knots this time three years ago, I don't envy you at all.

Afaik the summer pool only exists at Cambridge, and the only equivalent at Oxford is the system used to allocate people with open offers to colleges. However, I could be completely wrong so I'd do a bit of research to check :smile:
Reply 2248
I am getting so nervous about results all of a sudden! Just want to know if I'm in!
Fingers crossed for you! I remember being in knots this time three years ago, I don't envy you at all.

Afaik the summer pool only exists at Cambridge, and the only equivalent at Oxford is the system used to allocate people with open offers to colleges. However, I could be completely wrong so I'd do a bit of research to check :smile:

Ah right. Sounds like I'm making 'the phonecall' then!
Looking at your academics, I get the feeling you'll be fine. :smile:

Thanks but my predicted grades are a little generous :redface: I'm sure you'll be fine too!
Thanks but my predicted grades are a little generous :redface: I'm sure you'll be fine too!

Unfortunately, I believe you're mistaken there. I finished last year with AAAB, (B being in my strongest subject tbh), kept them all on. Had to pretty much abandon Maths due to staffing problems and a disastrous January exam, along with the Decisions fiasco, leaving me with English Lit, Psych and History. English Lit I was 2 UMS under an A (Should've resat my exam really, but never mind), History I sat 3 UMS above the boundary, Psychology I was comfortably high 80s, if not 90%.

It'll all come down to the History exam I think. My English C/W if kept how my lecturer marked it is 59/60, which is 78 UMS I think, so as long as I didn't mess up another English exam that should be ok, and I think Psychology was ok.

Sorry, that became as much notes to myself as it did a reply to you! Got a good PS and LNAT score (Twice as much as average) so like I say, I MAY be able to convince them if it comes to it.

Which college are you headed to?

Scrap that, just read. >_<
Results day is somewhat worrying, given that my options are either Oxford or Army :tongue:
Unfortunately, I believe you're mistaken there. I finished last year with AAAB, (B being in my strongest subject tbh), kept them all on. Had to pretty much abandon Maths due to staffing problems and a disastrous January exam, along with the Decisions fiasco, leaving me with English Lit, Psych and History. English Lit I was 2 UMS under an A (Should've resat my exam really, but never mind), History I sat 3 UMS above the boundary, Psychology I was comfortably high 80s, if not 90%.

It'll all come down to the History exam I think. My English C/W if kept how my lecturer marked it is 59/60, which is 78 UMS I think, so as long as I didn't mess up another English exam that should be ok, and I think Psychology was ok.

Sorry, that became as much notes to myself as it did a reply to you! Got a good PS and LNAT score (Twice as much as average) so like I say, I MAY be able to convince them if it comes to it.

Which college are you headed to?

Scrap that, just read. >_<

Oh ok - good luck for the 18th, I'm sure that your History exam went better than you thought it did!

What college do you have an offer from?
Oh ok - good luck for the 18th, I'm sure that your History exam went better than you thought it did!

What college do you have an offer from?

Thanks, likewise!

Queen's college, so just across the road from University, if my memory serves me correctly!
Thanks, likewise!

Queen's college, so just across the road from University, if my memory serves me correctly!

Yes it is :smile:
Yes it is :smile:

:biggrin: So my memory isn't completely destroyed. I think it was getting some kind of structural work when I was down for my interview, not been since.
Original post by micky022
Results day is somewhat worrying, given that my options are either Oxford or Army :tongue:

Haha, is that Sandhurst or non-commissioned? My options are Oxford, try again or bugger off to France indefinitely. So I suppose, translating my de Tocqueville book is good practise either way.
Original post by deFossard
Haha, is that Sandhurst or non-commissioned? My options are Oxford, try again or bugger off to France indefinitely. So I suppose, translating my de Tocqueville book is good practise either way.

Sandhurst hopefully. Ah, I'm in a right mood now. Arguing with morons on D&D about how 1/4 of Asian men are *not* sex offenders, but it's like nutting a brick wall.
Original post by micky022
Sandhurst hopefully. Ah, I'm in a right mood now. Arguing with morons on D&D about how 1/4 of Asian men are *not* sex offenders, but it's like nutting a brick wall.

Nice. Have you read The Junior Officers' Reading Club by Patrick Hennessey? Bloody brilliant memoir about Sandhurst and the recent wars. It's pretty much the entire source of my knowledge of the army today, a real eye opener. The physical training at Sandhurst, he said, was worse than fighting in Afghanistan.

Haha, you're certainly right, but remember they ARE a little funny in the Orient.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending