The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Postgrad accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm going to be viewing Bolsover House which is owned by Omnia Spaces tomorrow, so I'll let you know how that place looks.

It seems quite good for postgrads :smile:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 21
Just received and accepted my contract for Opal2. I figure it's managed and clean and I don't have to worry about finding a place once I fly to the UK. Has anyone been there? It looks good and is only a short walk to my classes in the Arts Tower. Seems like a good fit.
Reply 22
I don't even know where to start with applying for accommodation, I don't really know the city or any fellow postgraduates so I'm feeling pretty unsure about accommodation...

Laura.
Reply 23
Bolsover House seems pretty decent... I visited last week and wasn't put off living there. I've applied in any case, so hopefully that will be sorted soon. I think most of Omnia Space's properties are similar, and pretty close together, so they might be a good option for postgrads? There's also IQ and UNITE (Although I don't know anything about the former and have heard bad things about the latter).

Wish I'd managed to apply in time for Opal :frown:
Reply 24
Original post by salmon24l
I don't even know where to start with applying for accommodation, I don't really know the city or any fellow postgraduates so I'm feeling pretty unsure about accommodation...

Laura.

I was in your exact situation, and I'm from Chile (I've never been to England before), so I was more scared. I asked a lot of questions to the South America Office, and they told me that Opal 2 was the best choice for me because of its location in consideration to where am I going to study, the number of other postgrads there, the level of noise, etc.

I think that you have to look first for the tipe of room that you want, and then for the location of the house. I did it that way.
Reply 25
hmm, people here seem really happy with opal... I hope Broad lane court is good as well, because I already accepted my offer :tongue:
Reply 26
Thanks guys, I'm going to the postgrad open afternoon next Tuesday so hopefully I will get something sorted then until then the search continues... :smile:
Laura
Reply 27
Thanks guys, I'm going to the postgrad open afternoon next Tuesday so hopefully I will get something sorted then until then the search continues... :smile:
Laura

Enjoy the open day! I missed the last one and went to a department visit instead and loved it =D What will you be studying?
I'm also going to go to the open day. BTW, if anyone wants to add me on Facebook then you're more than welcome. I did it in the past as an undergrad and went onto to become friends with a couple of the contacts. :smile: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=593655294 Edit: For the record, I'm doing an MA taught in Political Theory.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 29
Thanks, I'll be studying MA English Literature (i'm pretty sure you could almost call it the contemporary pathway). What about you guys? :smile:

I shall add you on Facebook, if you guys want to add me it's: http://www.facebook.com/melaurasalmon

Laura.
Reply 30
MA Archaeology, really excited! =D http://www.facebook.com/rac.smith is me, if anyone's around :smile:
Laura

I've accepted my offer to live at Encliffe (postgrad flat though!) really couldnt face living in a totally post grad environment straight away! I'd heard too many bad tales from private accomodation sites - the likes of victoria halls/unite/opal etc, so decided uni accomodation would be more suited to me. :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by sugarbabenl
I've accepted my offer to live at Encliffe (postgrad flat though!) really couldnt face living in a totally post grad environment straight away! I'd heard too many bad tales from private accomodation sites - the likes of victoria halls/unite/opal etc, so decided uni accomodation would be more suited to me. :smile:

I do wish I'd applied for Endcliffe, seems all the life is over there! I've heard really bad things about CRM and Unite, but only good things about Opal. Trying my luck with private accommodation, worth it for the double bed :wink:

What are you studying?
Reply 33
Original post by Rac92
I do wish I'd applied for Endcliffe, seems all the life is over there! I've heard really bad things about CRM and Unite, but only good things about Opal. Trying my luck with private accommodation, worth it for the double bed :wink:

What are you studying?

God yes, the double bed.. so true, so very true! From what I can see on the Broad lane court room pictures, I'll be able to brush my teeth in the (slightly smaller than) single bed and spit into the sink next to it!
Hey!! I'm from the US and will be studying Human Osteology and Funerary Archaeology, MSc...I was offered accommodation in Opal 2. I don't know much about it, but I am happy I have somewhere to live :-)
Reply 35
Original post by iris01
God yes, the double bed.. so true, so very true! From what I can see on the Broad lane court room pictures, I'll be able to brush my teeth in the (slightly smaller than) single bed and spit into the sink next to it!

Haha, oh dear! Even if Omnia Space are crap, I'll be happy to have an en-suite and double room xD If you are in Broad Lane we'll be neighbours :smile: Bolsover House is just down the road.
Reply 36
Original post by Rac92
Haha, oh dear! Even if Omnia Space are crap, I'll be happy to have an en-suite and double room xD If you are in Broad Lane we'll be neighbours :smile: Bolsover House is just down the road.

Ah, really? Cool! I'll have to add you on facebook now, neighbour! :smile: (especially since I just opened your facebook page and the similarities thingy said "You and Rachel: Gladiator, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy'".
Reply 37
Original post by iris01
Ah, really? Cool! I'll have to add you on facebook now, neighbour! :smile: (especially since I just opened your facebook page and the similarities thingy said "You and Rachel: Gladiator, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy'".

Haha go for it, happy to meet my new neighbours! =D I see pizza and film nights ahead, judging by your excellent taste!
Reply 38
Original post by Rac92
Haha go for it, happy to meet my new neighbours! =D I see pizza and film nights ahead, judging by your excellent taste!

haha, you read my mind! Last year I found several people who were crazy enough to agree to a lord of the rings marathon. Need to try again this year! :wink:
Reply 39
Original post by iris01
haha, you read my mind! Last year I found several people who were crazy enough to agree to a lord of the rings marathon. Need to try again this year! :wink:

Funny you should say that, I've been wanting to do one for a while now! Extended versions, right?

When are you planning on moving to Sheffield?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending