The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by deFossard
Nice. Have you read The Junior Officers' Reading Club by Patrick Hennessey? Bloody brilliant memoir about Sandhurst and the recent wars. It's pretty much the entire source of my knowledge of the army today, a real eye opener. The physical training at Sandhurst, he said, was worse than fighting in Afghanistan.

Haha, you're certainly right, but remember they ARE a little funny in the Orient.

I have, it was really quite good. I also saw this today: http://www.arrse.co.uk/officers/167160-changes-officer-career-structure-announced.html

I want to join either the Light Dragoons, Rifles, or the Coldstream Guards.
Reply 2261
Hi, sorry to randomly appear in your thread, I'm actually an Oxford 2012 applicant but I was snooping and couldn't help posting: I've read the JORC, it was surprisingly enjoyable, and I'm also looking at heading to Sandhurst after graduation (Paras in my case though) so was freaked out by seeing the similarities in Mickys post to my own goals...

Have you heard they're considering disbading the Coldstream Guards? Saw it a few days ago, not sure how the issue stands currently.
Original post by micky022
... on D&D about how...

What I think every single time I see this mentioned:

Original post by Eldedu
Hi, sorry to randomly appear in your thread, I'm actually an Oxford 2012 applicant but I was snooping and couldn't help posting: I've read the JORC, it was surprisingly enjoyable, and I'm also looking at heading to Sandhurst after graduation (Paras in my case though) so was freaked out by seeing the similarities in Mickys post to my own goals...

Have you heard they're considering disbading the Coldstream Guards? Saw it a few days ago, not sure how the issue stands currently.

From what I understand it's all up in the air, but the Guards might take some pain. I doubt they'd be disbanded, but the SDSR was a ****ing joke anyway, so I wouldn't put it past Dave.

The Paras don't do much jumping now, most regiments are being used as line infantry unfortunately.

What do you want to apply to read?

Lt: Debate and Discussion brings this to my mind:

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2264
From what I understand it's all up in the air, but the Guards might take some pain. I doubt they'd be disbanded, but the SDSR was a ****ing joke anyway, so I wouldn't put it past Dave.

The Paras don't do much jumping now, most regiments are being used as line infantry unfortunately.

****. Not even in training?
I really don't think disbanding historic regiments is the kind of political liability the government can afford to be burdening itself with tbh, so I'm with you on that.

Out of curiosity, what are you going to read at Oxford? If it's PPE at Balliol, I'll sue you for impersonating me :tongue: (or maybe I'm impersonating you :colone: )

Just saw your edit...as you may have guessed I'll be applying for PPE.

Also thought you were talking about Dungeons and Dragons back there...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Eldedu
****. Not even in training?
I really don't think disbanding historic regiments is the kind of political liability the government can afford to be burdening itself with tbh, so I'm with you on that.

Out of curiosity, what are you going to read at Oxford? If it's PPE at Balliol, I'll sue you for impersonating me :tongue: (or maybe I'm impersonating you :colone: )

They train for it certainly, they have to do P Coy. But they don't do it in combat any more. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't have any planes for them to jump from really...

They wouldn't disband the Guards- we might get an RAC-type structure, where you have a Guards Regiment and then 1 GRENADIERS, 2 COLDSTREAM, 3 SCOTS, 4 IRISH, 5 WELSH as individual battalions within a parent regiment, retaining regimental traditions and uniforms etc.

I applied for Law.

At Balliol :eek: and got pooled to St. Edmund Hall.
Reply 2266
They train for it certainly, they have to do P Coy. But they don't do it in combat any more. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't have any planes for them to jump from really...

They wouldn't disband the Guards- we might get an RAC-type structure, where you have a Guards Regiment and then 1 GRENADIERS, 2 COLDSTREAM, 3 SCOTS, 4 IRISH, 5 WELSH as individual battalions within a parent regiment, retaining regimental traditions and uniforms etc.

I applied for Law.

At Balliol :eek: and got pooled to St. Edmund Hall.

Training's good enough for me, I just want to launch myself out of a plane at some point :biggrin: (not that I don't take soldiering seriously, but that is my main incentive for joining the Paras). Sad but true about the planes...if things get worse (Spain and Italy crashing and infecting the UK markets, for example) even parachutes are going to be pushing the budget...

Doesn't seem like it would be too damaging then, just a bit of a bureaucratic reshuffle.

:eek: Well we'll see if I (even) get pooled, but at least law was never on my list (starting to feel insecure about individuality here...)
Original post by Eldedu
Training's good enough for me, I just want to launch myself out of a plane at some point :biggrin: (not that I don't take soldiering seriously, but that is my main incentive for joining the Paras). Sad but true about the planes...if things get worse (Spain and Italy crashing and infecting the UK markets, for example) even parachutes are going to be pushing the budget...

Doesn't seem like it would be too damaging then, just a bit of a bureaucratic reshuffle.

:eek: Well we'll see if I (even) get pooled, but at least law was never on my list (starting to feel insecure about individuality here...)

You could join another regiment and to the All Arms parachute course; the Paras are competitive and often oversubscribed I think- it's an employer's market. I just hate the way the Government is putting cost-cutting ahead of functionality.

Balliol is nice; make sure you ask to see the college library. It's huge.
Reply 2268

Merton has the oldest continuously functioning academic library in the world. :cool:
Without getting involved with the library A vs library B debates (although Exeter's is open 24 hours per day :wink:), I'm really looking forward* to going to the university with "the largest university library system in the UK".

*Pending results, ofc :tongue:
Original post by dbmag9
Merton has the oldest continuously functioning academic library in the world. :cool:

St. Edmund Hall produced Al Murray.

:tongue:
Reply 2271
You could join another regiment and to the All Arms parachute course; the Paras are competitive and often oversubscribed I think- it's an employer's market. I just hate the way the Government is putting cost-cutting ahead of functionality.

Thanks for the advice, on both counts.
Reply 2272
Original post by dbmag9

You got 45 in the IB, you were meant for Merton.

The rest of us mortals will have to make do with younger continuously functioning libraries :tongue:
Hi, sorry to interrupt the discussion, I was wondering if anyone knew when we have to be at Oxford exactly, since I'm trying to search for airplane tickets and it's much cheaper if I buy them in advance. I have asked the admission office but again they're not replying.
Original post by Can'tStandStill
Hi, sorry to interrupt the discussion, I was wondering if anyone knew when we have to be at Oxford exactly, since I'm trying to search for airplane tickets and it's much cheaper if I buy them in advance. I have asked the admission office but again they're not replying.

Was that the university admissions office or your college's admissions office? I emailed the college a few months ago and they told me I'll need to be there on 2nd October
Original post by Can'tStandStill

Well, I believe Freshers Week to be starting on the 2nd October (the Sunday), but at my college people turned up on the Saturday - if you're an international student it can be different. I would say ask your college if you can as it normally varies.
Reply 2276
Original post by Eldedu
You got 45 in the IB, you were meant for Merton.

The rest of us mortals will have to make do with younger continuously functioning libraries :tongue:

Intelligence/work places a range of five points or so in IB, luck determines where in it you fall. And position in the Norrington table can just mean one or two more people got firsts; it's hardly indicative of the overall standard. Although I admit I'm jealous of the colleges with 24-hour libraries, albeit more for the concept than because I'd actually use them.
Reply 2277
Original post by dbmag9
Intelligence/work places a range of five points or so in IB, luck determines where in it you fall. And position in the Norrington table can just mean one or two more people got firsts; it's hardly indicative of the overall standard. Although I admit I'm jealous of the colleges with 24-hour libraries, albeit more for the concept than because I'd actually use them.

Just to clarify, I said what I said jokingly, yes, but with the utmost respect for your achievement, the internet's not a good conveyor of tone.

And while it's very modest of you to say that, luck is at most a one or two point difference.
Original post by LtCommanderData
Was that the university admissions office or your college's admissions office? I emailed the college a few months ago and they told me I'll need to be there on 2nd October

It was the college admissions office, I'll try and email them again. Thanks :smile:
Reply 2279
Original post by Eldedu
Just to clarify, I said what I said jokingly, yes, but with the utmost respect for your achievement, the internet's not a good conveyor of tone.

And while it's very modest of you to say that, luck is at most a one or two point difference.

Don't worry, I figured you weren't actually deifying me. :p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending