The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zoedotdot
Cambridge 2011 Results Thread

Anybody who has already received their results can post them in the above thread.

No chat in there though please, keep it in here :smile:

It's all real now :eek: I've stopped panicking, but nervous now :afraid:
Original post by Amy Luo
hi, when should we start applying for the bursary and how can i get the max bursary?
:colondollar:

My sister applied the first week she was there and got her bursary (full one as she gets max student grant) the beginning of January.
She has just got a negative bill (- hundreds) and that's in spite of going to every ent going.
She did have to pay about £1600 in October but because she was on a full grant she got the first instalment of her loan/grant at the end of August.
Original post by Amy Luo
Any idea would cambridge give us reply before 18th Aug?
because universities would know the results before us .

My sister got all the stuff from Downing in the post on the day the results came out last year.

I'm so terrified about the18th I haven't been on student room for ages.
I'm trying to imagine going to Durham but I can't get Cambridge out of my mind.
Hey guys

I don't know if you'll remember me but I was on the applicant's page and got rejected prior to interview. I found out why and my school under predicted me (only predicted me AABB in my advanced highers) hence my rejection. Ironically I got my results today and got 4 As. I'm fine with not going to Cambridge as I'm gonna switch courses anyway which you can do at St Andrews but it said on my rejection letter that there was "no realistic prospect of you gaining a place at Cambridge" so it feels nice to have done well enough to have made an offer if I had received one. Anyway it's not Cambridge's fault so there's no hard feelings.

Hope you guys are all well and hope you all get the results that you need. I have my fingers crossed for you.

Take care. :smile:
Original post by alasdair1993
Hey guys

I don't know if you'll remember me but I was on the applicant's page and got rejected prior to interview. I found out why and my school under predicted me (only predicted me AABB in my advanced highers) hence my rejection. Ironically I got my results today and got 4 As. I'm fine with not going to Cambridge as I'm gonna switch courses anyway which you can do at St Andrews but it said on my rejection letter that there was "no realistic prospect of you gaining a place at Cambridge" so it feels nice to have done well enough to have made an offer if I had received one. Anyway it's not Cambridge's fault so there's no hard feelings.

Hope you guys are all well and hope you all get the results that you need. I have my fingers crossed for you.

Well done on your results. I'm sure you'll have a great time at St Andrews :smile:

I think you applied to Pembroke (I might have remembered wrong) You have certainly proved them wrong - perhaps you should drop Cambridge a line.

I've still got a nerve wracking 2 weeks wait to see if I have got A* In Further Maths. Need all the luck I can get!:frown:
Original post by Got the tshirt
Well done on your results. I'm sure you'll have a great time at St Andrews :smile:

I think you applied to Pembroke (I might have remembered wrong) You have certainly proved them wrong - perhaps you should drop Cambridge a line.

I've still got a nerve wracking 2 weeks wait to see if I have got A* In Further Maths. Need all the luck I can get!:frown:

Thanks a lot. :smile: Yeah I'm so looking forward to St Andrews. It was Emma I applied to. My mum thinks I should email them to let them know!

Oh good luck. I'm sure you'll get it. :smile:
Reply 2086
My sister applied the first week she was there and got her bursary (full one as she gets max student grant) the beginning of January.
She has just got a negative bill (- hundreds) and that's in spite of going to every ent going.
She did have to pay about £1600 in October but because she was on a full grant she got the first instalment of her loan/grant at the end of August.

do you know how can i be eligible to the full grant?
is it if the family income is below £16000 per year?
Original post by Amy Luo
do you know how can i be eligible to the full grant?
is it if the family income is below £16000 per year?

I think it is more than that - more like £25 000 - just looked at the website.

My family income is very low but my dad won't claim any benefits. My sister seems so 'rich' now with her grant/loan/ bursary!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Hey guys

Hey I think I remember you, was it Emma and geography?

Firstly, well done for your grades :biggrin: I just hope I can come out just as well, again well done :biggrin:
Original post by cpdavis
Hey I think I remember you, was it Emma and geography?

Firstly, well done for your grades :biggrin: I just hope I can come out just as well, again well done :biggrin:

Yeah that's right. Aren't you Emma for maths?

Thank you very much. It came as a big shock. I seriously thought I'd failed maths! Good luck to you and I hope you make your offer! :smile:
Yeah that's right. Aren't you Emma for maths?

Thank you very much. It came as a big shock. I seriously thought I'd failed maths! Good luck to you and I hope you make your offer! :smile:

Thanks!

I just hope that I will be smiling this time in 2 weeks :eek:
Reply 2091
I think it is more than that - more like £25 000 - just looked at the website.

My family income is very low but my dad won't claim any benefits. My sister seems so 'rich' now with her grant/loan/ bursary!!

well, so how much is the full grant? and the maximum bursary? will they cover all the living fee and the accommadation fee?
Original post by Amy Luo
well, so how much is the full grant? and the maximum bursary? will they cover all the living fee and the accommadation fee?

The full grant which should be on your student loan form is £2906. The full Cambridge bursary is £3400. The bursary is paid in 2 halves one at the start of Lent term and the other half at the beginning of Easter term.

Different colleges charge different rates and also within the colleges there are differently priced accommodation. (Also I think in the first term you have to pay an extra amount that is repayable at the end of your study). Different colleges also give accommodation over different length leases eg Downing has 10 week terms but I think Pembroke has 9!

Colleges like Pembroke offer students on a full grant reduced rent but Downing doesn't. My sister (at Downing) paid about £1600 at the start of the first term.

I hope this helps but if you contact your college they should be able to give you more info.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2093
*Stupid Question Warning*

I was sent an email requesting copies of my exam certificates. I declared music certificates on UCAS, do they really want me to send those?
Thanks
Reply 2094
Original post by VaVe

I was sent an email requesting copies of my exam certificates. I declared music certificates on UCAS, do they really want me to send those?
Thanks

When I got sent the email, I assumed it meant everything I mentioned on my UCAS form, so I sent everything. Its probably minor, but its better to be safe than sorry and just send the music certificates as well.
Reply 2095
Original post by SabreT
When I got sent the email, I assumed it meant everything I mentioned on my UCAS form, so I sent everything. Its probably minor, but its better to be safe than sorry and just send the music certificates as well.

Thanks, now to try and dig out my theory certificate =)
Reply 2096
Original post by VaVe

Thanks

Well my college specifically said "academic" certificates, so I am not going to send my music certificates, particularly as it's not part of my offer or anything to do with my subject either.
It may vary from college to college though :smile:
Reply 2097
Original post by VaVe

Thanks

I shouldn't worry if you can't find them, seeing as your offer was based on grades not UCAS points so they're irrelevant. By all means send them to be sure, but don't panic if you can't find your theory!
Reply 2098
Original post by Melz0r
I shouldn't worry if you can't find them, seeing as your offer was based on grades not UCAS points so they're irrelevant. By all means send them to be sure, but don't panic if you can't find your theory!

Thanks, found and sent now along with everything else =)
Reply 2099
Is anyone else serioulsy concerned that they missed their offer? A couple of my friends are pretty convinced that they'll just lower the offer and accept me anyway, but I'm getting a real sense of impending doom... :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending