2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dmz
shouldn't you be looking for a job? lol

True demi. True. :tongue:
Reply 2801
Original post by joemullally
Two jobs.
Medical laboratory assistant (full time)
and Healthcare assistant (bank)

That's cool. I think I'm gonna put medical genetics as a fifth this year. I just loved genetics at A level. But it was obviously not the whole story. They didn't even teach us about operons. I want to learn so much though.

And as a person who took a gap. Around how many times is normal have a whole i'm taking a massive risk and I should have just gone to uni in september meltdown?

Nice one! What does a medical laboratory do? gonna try and do as much variety of things i can in a clinical setting over next two years.

Most of the time you can do just about anything on extra's i ended up declining my 5th choice, though it was an access to medicine it wasn't very practical but if it's something you enjoy then by all means go for it :smile:, just make sure it'll take you somewhere once you finish the degree. Love the crave for knowledge :wink:

erm, i came to terms with it before i applied the first time round cos my AS sucked, but when you're working it flies by, you will become a loner cos all your friends'll go to uni, you'll have very few people to interact with and even then it won't be people of similar intellect and it can very dull, but no matter how broke you are (like me) it's something i'd probably do again if i went back in time, though i really wanna go to uni now! Throw all you have into your research and UKCAT and you'l stand a decent chance :smile:
Reply 2802
I also had 9/16 for my GCSE's
6/6 reference
if i got +2 for acheived grades and then your ps score i'd be grand for an interview.

Chance I could give it a once over sometime?

For academics you mean? I had the same for reference you need 39 for an interview
Original post by dmz
Nice one! What does a medical laboratory do? gonna try and do as much variety of things i can in a clinical setting over next two years.

Most of the time you can do just about anything on extra's i ended up declining my 5th choice, though it was an access to medicine it wasn't very practical but if it's something you enjoy then by all means go for it :smile:, just make sure it'll take you somewhere once you finish the degree. Love the crave for knowledge :wink:

erm, i came to terms with it before i applied the first time round cos my AS sucked, but when you're working it flies by, you will become a loner cos all your friends'll go to uni, you'll have very few people to interact with and even then it won't be people of similar intellect and it can very dull, but no matter how broke you are (like me) it's something i'd probably do again if i went back in time, though i really wanna go to uni now! Throw all you have into your research and UKCAT and you'l stand a decent chance :smile:

Ukcat is 677.5

applying Leeds, Barts, PMS and Dundee.

In the labs we test patient samples for bacterial infections.
So far i've worked on the urines wounds and genital benches. Soon i'll hopefully move to serology, faecs,enviro's etc as part of my training.

It's really good to be in a job where I get to help people with no post A level qualifications.
I basically set up the tests (plates) to grow in an incubator and then the Biomedical scientists (the actual intended product of a biomedical science degree rather than a medicine backup) read the plates say what's on them and what antibiotics to test on them. I set up the tests and then they read them again the next day.

So the results go back to doctors and they know what bacterial infection they're dealing with and which antibiotics it's sensitive too.

It's fun and rewarding but it can be knakering.

There's other labs too like biochem and histology etc.

It's also kinda cool to have an NHS ID and Access card swipey thing for the labs.
Original post by dmz
For academics you mean? I had the same for reference you need 39 for an interview

yeah i had 9 last year and hope to get two extra for achieved grades like it said in the letter (excuse the double post)
Reply 2805
Ukcat is 677.5

applying Leeds, Barts, PMS and Dundee.

In the labs we test patient samples for bacterial infections.
So far i've worked on the urines wounds and genital benches. Soon i'll hopefully move to serology, faecs,enviro's etc as part of my training.

It's really good to be in a job where I get to help people with no post A level qualifications.
I basically set up the tests (plates) to grow in an incubator and then the Biomedical scientists (the actual intended product of a biomedical science degree rather than a medicine backup) read the plates say what's on them and what antibiotics to test on them. I set up the tests and then they read them again the next day.

So the results go back to doctors and they know what bacterial infection they're dealing with and which antibiotics it's sensitive too.

It's fun and rewarding but it can be knakering.

There's other labs too like biochem and histology etc.

It's also kinda cool to have an NHS ID and Access card swipey thing for the labs.

Have you done it already? That's not a bad score, i reckon you'd have a shot for an interview at glasgow, it was 652.5 last year, Barts goes up and down so worth a shot too. I don't know much on PMS or Dundee, Gowrav got into PMS, and penguinsaysquack and moist feeling are going to Barts, Beska got in as well so they might be worth talking to :smile:. What were your A levels and GCSE? and what did your PS score with Leeds last year? your reference will stay the same

Oh wow, how did you get that? I can't seem to break into the hospital business. I'd be no good with lab work though unless it's momentarily
Haha sounds pretty cool tbh
Reply 2806
yeah i had 9 last year and hope to get two extra for achieved grades like it said in the letter (excuse the double post)

Think it's 1, i achieved 1 less A than predicted based on 3 and my score stayed the same, a friend had one more A than me but she had worse GCSEs and had 2 more academic points, i had a B in english though and she got an A so i think grades in specific GCSE subjects matters to them too
Most uni's only rely on an average these days.

Leeds is my risk. It would be my first choice but i'd also chew my own arm off for a medicine offer in the same way that i'd chew it off to be ambidextrous. I got 33/46 on their application system last year and to get an interview you needed 39. Achieved grades is +2 and i got 18/24 for my ps so i need 4 more from my P/s which is a risk tbh.

PMS and Barts I should be above cut off for.

Dundee send out an online questionnaire for mitigating circumstances. and apparently they adjust your application accordingly.

And my GCSE's are the most likely thing to hold me back. especially since my UKCAT is better.

LOOL
If you really like it, go for it. It's only one risk after all.

Do you know what Bart's cutt-off is (i mean the realistic one that people have actually got interviews/offers with - not the published one)

I'm sure you'll still be alright this year though, circumstances are different this time and we all have learnt from last year

Original post by dmz
yer, i did mess up an interview, but it's the only reasonable explanation why i didn't get an interview at leeds cos i had 22/24 for PS i think and only 9/16 for academics when i was predicted 4A's. But when everyone's brilliant just about everything counts

I know what you mean, if anyone of your criteria isn't outstanding it kinda makes you paranoid. I went from being over confident to completely paranoid this year though :s-smilie:
Original post by Shaz51
hiya...im in a same boat as u...im trying find a job as a HCA but no luck so far...So what unis are u considering to applying to?

Right now considering all the Scottish ones, if i get a good enough UKCAT think I will definitely apply to Glasgow (even though its not my first choice) cause I'm trying to be as tactical as I can this year! What about you?
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
LOOL
If you really like it, go for it. It's only one risk after all.

Do you know what Bart's cutt-off is (i mean the realistic one that people have actually got interviews/offers with - not the published one)

I'm sure you'll still be alright this year though, circumstances are different this time and we all have learnt from last year

I know what you mean, if anyone of your criteria isn't outstanding it kinda makes you paranoid. I went from being over confident to completely paranoid this year though :s-smilie:

I thought everyone with above cut off got an interview. Like other uni's use the UKCAT.

It was around 640-660 ish i don't know where i just know i'm a good 20-30 above it? I don't know.
I thought everyone with above cut off got an interview. Like other uni's use the UKCAT.

It was around 640-660 ish i don't know where i just know i'm a good 20-30 above it? I don't know.

Oh okay. I didn't know that :rolleyes:
And i meant because unis say they want a certain score whereas probably 85% of successful applicants get much much higher. Not saying that this is true for barts (don't know much about them as a uni)
Original post by dmz
Think it's 1, i achieved 1 less A than predicted based on 3 and my score stayed the same, a friend had one more A than me but she had worse GCSEs and had 2 more academic points, i had a B in english though and she got an A so i think grades in specific GCSE subjects matters to them too

Just applied through NHS jobs tbh man.
Applied for four jobs.
Got two.
Got rejected from one and declined the other.

I'd be happy if that was the case for my med app.

Hmm i think english is prefered at glasgow and i don't have it.

PMS's cut off was 637.5 or something.

I hope it's two
i got
made up of 6/6 for social awereness and 4/6 for everything else.

I need 22/23 out of 24 to get an interview. God it's starting to look like a big risk.

but yeah does anyone know if UKCAT is the only thing barts select for interview for?
Reply 2812
Just applied through NHS jobs tbh man.
Applied for four jobs.
Got two.
Got rejected from one and declined the other.

I'd be happy if that was the case for my med app.

Hmm i think english is prefered at glasgow and i don't have it.

PMS's cut off was 637.5 or something.

I hope it's two
i got
made up of 6/6 for social awereness and 4/6 for everything else.

I need 22/23 out of 24 to get an interview. God it's starting to look like a big risk.

but yeah does anyone know if UKCAT is the only thing barts select for interview for?

fair play.
For A levels or GCSE? I had a B at GCSE and i got an interview. If you have standard requirement and ps it's purely ukcat i believe.
Immense risk. Not worth it. What were your gcse's like?
Ask penguin

Apparently not anymore.. up until now it has simply been UKCAT cutoff. Above the cutoff=interview then offers based on interview.

However I've been told that they are going to consider UCAS tariffs as well... Now I haven't personally confirmed this (hoping to in september) but by the sounds of it you still need to do well on the UKCAT but if you have/are predicted A*AAA then you could have a better chance than someone predicted AAA.

I don't know if this is certain as of yet.. you're best off e-mailing them and I'll try to find out :yep:

Do you know your UKCAT score yet? :h:
Original post by dmz
fair play.
For A levels or GCSE? I had a B at GCSE and i got an interview. If you have standard requirement and ps it's purely ukcat i believe.
Immense risk. Not worth it. What were your gcse's like?
Ask penguin

GCSE At A i think
They used to like it at A level.

I'll think about it. But if i don't apply to Leeds i'll always feel like I should have applied just in case y'know.

I dont know.

Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Apparently not anymore.. up until now it has simply been UKCAT cutoff. Above the cutoff=interview then offers based on interview.

However I've been told that they are going to consider UCAS tariffs as well... Now I haven't personally confirmed this (hoping to in september) but by the sounds of it you still need to do well on the UKCAT but if you have/are predicted A*AAA then you could have a better chance than someone predicted AAA.

I don't know if this is certain as of yet.. you're best off e-mailing them and I'll try to find out :yep:

Do you know your UKCAT score yet? :h:

and i'm hoping to do well at A level. Two weeks today is when i get results.
Four subjects and could be anywhere between A*A*A*A and AAAB.
don't want to count my chickens before they hatch though.
(edited 12 years ago)
GCSE At A i think
They used to like it at A level.

I'll think about it. But if i don't apply to Leeds i'll always feel like I should have applied just in case y'know.

I dont know.

and i'm hoping to do well at A level. Two weeks today is when i get results.

I definitely didn't just think to myself "oooo you're a reapplicant :teeth:" before realising this is the reapplicants thread :facepalm:

With 677.5 I would say you are in with a pretty damn good chance at getting an interview... I'd be very surprised if that wasn't good enough as long as you get AAA :yep:

Can't guarentee it though for obv reasons :tongue:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
I definitely didn't just think to myself "oooo you're a reapplicant :teeth:" before realising this is the reapplicants thread :facepalm:

With 677.5 I would say you are in with a pretty damn good chance at getting an interview... I'd be very surprised if that wasn't good enough as long as you get AAA :yep:

Can't guarentee it though for obv reasons :tongue:

That's fair enough.
My main worry is that I really fell in love with Leeds at the open day last september.
I don't know whether I should risk an application with my GCSE's and face a probable rejection or whether I should live my life thinking if only i'dav tried.

Sounds a bit fatalistic when I say it like that but you get my jist.

I mean I got 33/39 on their scoring system last year and hope to get +2 academics for achieved grades. Then I need four more from my PS which i'm nearly finished on but would feel cheeky asking you guys for a third draft check.

The redrafft before the one i'm currently working on is on the ps help forum if you want a gander to see my ec's etc, maybe you'd have a good idea where it would be good for me to apply to.

I mean i'd do pretty much anything to get in anywhere as everybody else in this thread would.

I just think are my other three options giving me the best chance at getting an offer?
Reply 2817
That's fair enough.
My main worry is that I really fell in love with Leeds at the open day last september.
I don't know whether I should risk an application with my GCSE's and face a probable rejection or whether I should live my life thinking if only i'dav tried.

I mean I got 33/39 on their scoring system last year and hope to get +2 academics for achieved grades. Then I need four more from my PS which i'm nearly finished on but would feel cheeky asking you guys for a third draft check.

The redrafft before the one i'm currently working on is on the ps help forum if you want a gander to see my ec's etc, maybe you'd have a good idea where it would be good for me to apply to.

I mean i'd do pretty much anything to get in anywhere as everybody else in this thread would.

I just think are my other three options giving me the best chance at getting an offer?

i fell in love with Leeds and made a mistake of applying there twice. Treat each option like it's your only shot
Original post by dmz
i fell in love with Leeds and made a mistake of applying there twice. Treat each option like it's your only shot

Yeah I didn't realise how risky it was till tonight.

I don't know, i',m gonna have a good think about it and come to some sort of decision sometime.
That's fair enough.

I'm not too familiar with Leeds but I say if you really have fallen in love with it then you should apply there.. much better than a what if situation :yep:

As long as you apply smart with your other 3 choices then you should hopefully get at least one offer :h:

I've just had a read of your PS and it looks alright, Beska really has pointed out what you needs work so if you follow his advice then hopefully it'll be the standard places want :yep:
As for a 3rd review... I don't think you'll get it.
Things are starting to get busier now and we don't normally do a second review so to ask for a third..
But no harm in asking (though use your current thread, don't create a new one)

So you're thinking BL and Leeds.. what were the other two?

But yeah, if Leeds is what you love then I say you go for it (as long as you meet min requirements etc)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending