The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alpharius
Like, like, like, like, like...

Any predictions as to who'll be promoted/relegated folks?

West Ham will go back to the Premier League, Barnet will struggle again in League 2, and Brighton might make the play-offs with their new stadium.
Original post by sr90
Good idea actually. Much easier to think about now squads are shaping up etc :smile:

I'm a bit wary of doing predictions as there will always be suprise packages/underachievers.. but oh well.

Championship

Promoted - West Ham (C), Ipswich
Play Offs - Leicester, Reading, Forest, Southampton
Relegated - Coventry, Barnsley, Peterborough

They look good, but not that good. I have a strong suspicion your a tractor boy :wink:

I think they have a shot for play offs.

Promoted - West Ham, Leicester
Play Offs - Forest, Southampton, Cardiff, Ipswich
Relegated - Coventry, Peterborough, Doncaster.

I'll claim right away to be a Forest fan. I haven't listed them in the order I think they'll finish.
I'm a neutral. :p:

I'll go for:

Promoted - West Ham, Southampton.
Play-offs - Cardiff, Ipswich, Reading, Bristol City.
Original post by sr90
Even if it was their reserves/youth team, that is beyond embarassing for any professional football club.

Their academy must be absolute ****.

True!
Reply 6284
If leeds defense behaves this season (which is questionable but atleast we have kisnorbo back) we could do very well, we're lethal attacking wise with snodgrass, gradel, nunez, becchio, somma, howson.
Does anyone know if there is a league 1 fantasy football competition about online? Can't find one!
Original post by ipswichblade
Does anyone know if there is a league 1 fantasy football competition about online? Can't find one!

There is a reason for that..enjoy league one :wink:
Everybody knows that West Ham could very easily break a few records this season. The strange thing is that they never had this ambition or initiative when they were near relegation.
Original post by Tricky_Tree
There is a reason for that..enjoy league one :wink:

People keep telling me there is a Telegraph one and a Texaco one but I can't find either. :rolleyes:
Reply 6289
Whilst some of you guys have been avoiding friendlies, I've been keeping busy. Last Tuesday I saw Wycombe draw 1-1 at Wealdstone, then on the Saturday saw the 2-0 victory of West Ham over Real Zaragoza. A good game there - West Ham looked strong in parts but still have room for improvement. Then a couple of days ago Oxford United brough a team to Thame Utd and drew 1-1, Thame Utd unlucky to concede late on, but was a fair result. Finally, last night I went to see Crawley vs QPR. Both had strong teams out and QPR ended the game as 4-2 winners. Will be interesting to see how QPR fair in the Premier League; they looked good against Crawley but not sure how they'll fair against tougher opposition. Crawley also put up a good fight and really should do well in League 2 this year.

With the leaue starting, Wycombe have Scunny at the weekend. Real tough game to start off with. Here's hoping to a good start from Wycombe. Good luck to all your teams for the weekend (apart from Colchester, obviously)!
Original post by sr90

Texaco is the Championship.

Anyone entered that? I'm thinking of giving it a go..

I've entered that. Someone told me they did a Legaue 1 one previously.
Original post by danc2005
Whilst some of you guys have been avoiding friendlies, I've been keeping busy.

I saw my first friendly as an adult, whilst on holiday- Frejus v Monaco. Strange to see a midweek game without floodlights even for a few minutes at the end.
Original post by `R92
If leeds defense behaves this season (which is questionable but atleast we have kisnorbo back) we could do very well, we're lethal attacking wise with snodgrass, gradel, nunez, becchio, somma, howson.

Can't wait for the game on Sat, how is your team shaping up? Heard that Becchio and Somma are both injured, and was hoping that Snodgrass and Gradel would be sold this week - can;t see that happening before the game now.

We're looking strong, expecting us to finish 6th-10th this season with the current squad. Brought in a tricky winger called De Ridder, watch out for him this season as he seems **** hot from the friendlies he's played so far. Chamberlain's first team place is no longer assured! The only thing we lack is a top class centre half alongside Fonte, if we can get that I see us challenging for the playoffs and possibly the auto spots if Leicester's team don't gel quickly. Also could do with some pace up top as Lambert/Connolly/Barnard aren't especially.

Predictions:

Championship

Promoted - West Ham, Leicester
Play Offs - Boro, Forest, Ipswich, Reading
Relegated - Skates, Watford, Peterborough

L1

Promoted - Huddersfield, MK Dons
Play Offs - Sheffield Utd, Preston, Sheffield Wed, Orient
Relegation - Stevenage, Wycombe, Oldham, Notts County

L2

Promoted - Swindon, Shrewsbury
Play Offs - Crewe, Rotherham, Wimbledon, Gillingham
Relegation - Morecambe, Barnet, Hereford, Torquay
I really really hope Leicester don't get promoted cause they'll be in some deep **** when these new financial rules come in next season! They won't be able to cheat themselves out of it this time, I hate that club!
Reply 6294
I have a feeling that one of the favourites, West Ham and Leicester will disappoint next season and fail to achieve promotion. Quite often it doesn't work out the way people predict before the season starts, many couldn't see past Middlesbrough, Forest and Burnley being up there this time last year. Besides how do you keep a squad like Leicester's happy? If Eriksson manages this and ends up getting promoted then well done to him I guess. I would love it if they failed though, no-one likes a club that tries to 'buy' promotion.

I see we've announced 3 new signings today, and I'm pretty impressed with this summer's transfers so far adding much needed depth to last years squad. The board have also done well (so far) keeping our best players despite interest from bigger clubs which has proven very difficult since we've been in the Championship. I feared for us a few months ago but now I reckon we'll do okay now despite being relegation favourites for some reason. We've got Brighton away on Saturday, I'd like to think that we can go down there and spoil their day although it is a really difficult fixture to start with. Would definately take a draw from this game.
Reply 6295
Original post by Super_Hans
Can't wait for the game on Sat, how is your team shaping up? Heard that Becchio and Somma are both injured, and was hoping that Snodgrass and Gradel would be sold this week - can;t see that happening before the game now.

Ah good luck ;P, yeh we have our 2 best strikers out, so it will be mccormack or billy paynter (who has most definitely not won over the fans yet..) up front. I dont think we'll sell gradel or snodgrass so we'll be an attacking force from the wings as always. Most leeds fans are worried about our left back position, we don't seem to have anyone decent :s-smilie: thats definitely our main concern for the game. Watch out for our tricky attacking midfielder ramon nunez, very classy guy who might only be on the bench because he mostly plays in howsons position but when he comes on he's really impressive, been scoring pre season and scored a few on loan at scunthorpe last season
Original post by `R92
Ah good luck ;P, yeh we have our 2 best strikers out, so it will be mccormack or billy paynter (who has most definitely not won over the fans yet..) up front. I dont think we'll sell gradel or snodgrass so we'll be an attacking force from the wings as always. Most leeds fans are worried about our left back position, we don't seem to have anyone decent :s-smilie: thats definitely our main concern for the game. Watch out for our tricky attacking midfielder ramon nunez, very classy guy who might only be on the bench because he mostly plays in howsons position but when he comes on he's really impressive, been scoring pre season and scored a few on loan at scunthorpe last season

Ha, we don't have a left back either!
I'm hoping to see Leeds and Leicester promoted and Nottingham Forest to go up through play offs. From a Newcastle supporter :biggrin:
Original post by DJB_1990
I have a feeling that one of the favourites, West Ham and Leicester will disappoint next season and fail to achieve promotion.

I hope you're wrong about Leicester as I've put a bit of faith in them by picking three of their players in my fantasy league team. :frown:
Tomorrow I will think of the Brighton supporters I know and how happy they will be in their new ground, after all the pain since the Goldstone Ground was sold. Top half of the table for them I reckon.

They will not disgrace themselves in a Championship I expect to be won by West Ham.

Latest