The Student Room Group

Changing your Firm and Insurance **FAQ 2011**

Scroll to see replies

If you are absolutely certain that you don't want to go to your insurance, ring them and ask them to reject you. Then, if you miss your Firm, you will go directly into Clearing.

However, it is pretty normal at this stage to have some second thoughts about your uni choice. You presumably chose Surrey as your insurance for a reason, so don't throw it away just because you're getting cold feet about what may/may not be in clearing and whether that might be better. It's up to you how much risk you want to take - whether, in the event of not getting your Firm, you would want to go to Surrey or risk not having a place this year. Trying to guess what will be in Clearing is going to be absolutely impossible this year with the unprecedented demand for places. Do remember that if you don't get a place, it is not the end of the world - the new fee situation is not as horrific as the media are attempting to make out.
thanks for the advice :smile:

I've already spent 3 years in college so I'm pretty sure I don't want to take a gap year or even risk not getting in, partly due to the higher fees and also due to having a year out which I would feel is a slight waste of time.
Because of this, I'm also apprehensive of going to somewhere which I wont like and have to drop out which I feel could occur with Surrey. I only really picked it as an insurance because I only received two offers.

Although its fairly hard to tell what will be in clearing. Do you have any idea of the level of popularity of business/economics related courses. Pretty flexible on exact choice of course.

I also have one more question, in the instance I was accepted to my insurance but found something in clearing which I liked and met the grades for. Is it likely they could give me an informal offer on the basis of our phone conversation as they wont be able to see my application. Could they decide to offer me a place on the phone but then offer it elsewhere because it takes too long to get released from my insurance.

Thank you :smile:

This is all planning in ahead of course haha, I could make the grades for my firm and all will be good i hope :biggrin:
Original post by arsenal111
thanks for the advice :smile:

I've already spent 3 years in college so I'm pretty sure I don't want to take a gap year or even risk not getting in, partly due to the higher fees and also due to having a year out which I would feel is a slight waste of time.
Because of this, I'm also apprehensive of going to somewhere which I wont like and have to drop out which I feel could occur with Surrey. I only really picked it as an insurance because I only received two offers.

Although its fairly hard to tell what will be in clearing. Do you have any idea of the level of popularity of business/economics related courses. Pretty flexible on exact choice of course.

I also have one more question, in the instance I was accepted to my insurance but found something in clearing which I liked and met the grades for. Is it likely they could give me an informal offer on the basis of our phone conversation as they wont be able to see my application. Could they decide to offer me a place on the phone but then offer it elsewhere because it takes too long to get released from my insurance.

Thank you :smile:

This is all planning in ahead of course haha, I could make the grades for my firm and all will be good i hope :biggrin:

If you ring round Clearing unis without a Clearing number (and therefore without them being able to view your application) I would imagine they will tell you to ring back when you are in Clearing. They will not give a verbal offer without a Clearing number, as they need to see your reference, PS, grades etc.

The problem with trying to get released on results day is that your insurance will be so busy dealing with clearing queries that releasing people is not top of their priority list.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
If you ring round Clearing unis without a Clearing number (and therefore without them being able to view your application) I would imagine they will tell you to ring back when you are in Clearing. They will not give a verbal offer without a Clearing number, as they need to see your reference, PS, grades etc.

The problem with trying to get released on results day is that your insurance will be so busy dealing with clearing queries that releasing people is not top of their priority list.

very tricky situation to think about, I'll do some more research into my insurance and decide from there. thank you
On results day, if you meet the conditions of your Firm, that becomes your Unconditional Firm and your insurance place is lost. You would then need to ask your Firm to release you into Clearing to apply again to your Insurance choice if they have places.

You cannot simply ring your insurance on results day and ask them to accept you, because they will already have been informed several days prior that you met the conditions for your Firm.
Hi, I am really hoping to get into my firm, but if I don't then I really don't want to go to my insurance but have found a course which is likely to be in clearing at a university I would be happy going to if I missed my firm. Is there any way to change my insurance now, or do I just have to ring and ask them to release me if I get into my insurance but not my firm on results day and asked to be released so I can apply to the other through clearing?
Original post by Mikey Smalls
how about if i say i am released (evn though i wont be yet) would they talk to me den? because i would just want to know the likeliness of me gettin into a particular uni, because if aint successful then i will just take what i got. (the firm that accepted me)

then you surely get yourself stuck when they ask you for your clearing number and you're like 'oh, actually, i lied before...'
Original post by Geostar17
Hi, I am really hoping to get into my firm, but if I don't then I really don't want to go to my insurance but have found a course which is likely to be in clearing at a university I would be happy going to if I missed my firm. Is there any way to change my insurance now, or do I just have to ring and ask them to release me if I get into my insurance but not my firm on results day and asked to be released so I can apply to the other through clearing?

Yes, call your insurance university and tell them that you no longer wish to have an insurance choice, but you want to keep your firm. This would leave you with a firm but no insurance, so if you miss your firm choice you will go straight into clearing.
But you need to do it BEFORE results day. You can ask your insurance choice to release you without affecting your firm now, and if you leave it until results day then it may be difficult to get through (because people may be ringing them to try and get in through clearing/beg to be let in when they missed their offer) and you have to wait for UCAS to update and give you a clearing number, as no uni will talk to you about a clearing place unless you give them your clearing number (and you can't make one up, as once you give it they will type it in so they can see your grades, personal statement etc).

It can potentially take up to 2 weeks to update, by which time there may be nothing you like left in clearing.
Original post by StacFace
But you need to do it BEFORE results day. You can ask your insurance choice to release you without affecting your firm now, and if you leave it until results day then it may be difficult to get through (because people may be ringing them to try and get in through clearing/beg to be let in when they missed their offer) and you have to wait for UCAS to update and give you a clearing number, as no uni will talk to you about a clearing place unless you give them your clearing number (and you can't make one up, as once you give it they will type it in so they can see your grades, personal statement etc).

It can potentially take up to 2 weeks to update, by which time there may be nothing you like left in clearing.

Good points, but you actually need to do it before 10th August when the Track system freezes and universities will refuse to talk to you ahead of results coming out.
Ive decided i definitely dont want to go to my insurance uni. I dont even want to do the course that ive picked for that uni.
Is there any way i can cancel my insurance so that if i get declined by my firm i'll go straight into clearing?
Reply 331
I'm pretty sure you can ring up on the day and say you don't want to go there...

Edit: http://www.ucas.com/students/results/faqs/resultsandoffers/faq4

Says all about it there.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Mo-Amin

Original post by Mo-Amin
I'm pretty sure you can ring up on the day and say you don't want to go there...

Yeah but im thinking if i get rejected by my firm and get into my insurance, then il have to reject them on results day and wait until my clearing number comes through. Thenil have less of a chance of getting a place through clearing cause it'll take longer..
Reply 333
Original post by city-lights-x
Yeah but im thinking if i get rejected by my firm and get into my insurance, then il have to reject them on results day and wait until my clearing number comes through. Thenil have less of a chance of getting a place through clearing cause it'll take longer..

In the link I posted it said you should contact the sinurance uni about it, so I guess maybe you could contact and ask to withdraw offer before results day and then you might get the clearing number sooner?
Original post by Mo-Amin

Original post by Mo-Amin
In the link I posted it said you should contact the sinurance uni about it, so I guess maybe you could contact and ask to withdraw offer before results day and then you might get the clearing number sooner?

Can they withdraw you before results day though, cause in the link they seem to be talking about like after they get their results?
Reply 335
I'm in the exact same position as I don't want to go to my insurance which is halfway across the country but got around 50% chance of getting into my firm with the high grades that they require in my hometown.

All I can think is wait till the results day and as soon as you are able to start calling unis, call your insurance choice, after that call your clearing choices asking them if they can hold an offer for you until your clearing number comes through and that you will call them back as soon as you get it.
Reply 336
Original post by city-lights-x
Can they withdraw you before results day though, cause in the link they seem to be talking about like after they get their results?

I'm not sure but you won't lose anything by contacting them before Results Day so you may aswell try.

However, if you would prefer going to your insurance than being forced into a gap year (worst case scenario) then do as Subclique suggested, IMO.
Original post by Subclique

Original post by Subclique
I'm in the exact same position as I don't want to go to my insurance which is halfway across the country but got around 50% chance of getting into my firm with the high grades that they require in my hometown.

All I can think is wait till the results day and as soon as you are able to start calling unis, call your insurance choice, after that call your clearing choices asking them if they can hold an offer for you until your clearing number comes through and that you will call them back as soon as you get it.

Yh but do they even hold places for you? If you defo dont wanna go there then your just wasting time still holding a place arent you? You may aswell reject now and then if you dont meet requirements for firm your eligible for clearing asap..

I was looking for a way to reject the offer on ucas and couldnt find one so i dont think you can. I think im just gonna email the uni and see what they can do for me.
Original post by Mo-Amin

Original post by Mo-Amin
I'm not sure but you won't lose anything by contacting them before Results Day so you may aswell try.

However, if you would prefer going to your insurance than being forced into a gap year (worst case scenario) then do as Subclique suggested, IMO.

Yeah im gonna try that. I think i'd rather resit the year and get better grades if i dont get a decent place through clearing.

IMO?
Reply 339
I was in the same situation, I sent an email to the university asking them to drop me yesterday but have not received anything back yet.
I'm going to call on monday and make sure...but I really dont see them making us wait until results day. I really am not waiting for my clearance number any longer than I have to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending