The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2620
Original post by dmz
JUST FOUND THE DUDE NEXT TO ME!!! Just the 3 girls to go :wink:

I'm glad it helped :smile: Thought i'd share, I have posted this onto a seperate thread in the Leeds university section just in case people want to find it and can't through this one. At least that way you dont have to scroll through pages and pages to find it as it's on the very first page :smile:
Happy Hunting :tongue:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2621
Haha it's pretty awesome! not gonna add him yet or anything yet though, probs best i meet him for real first?
thirteen days argh!

(yes I should be sleeping)

edit: ...or twelve days, even.
(edited 12 years ago)
See the above post for my current thoughts too.
Reply 2624
Original post by Bella Occhi
thirteen days argh!

(yes I should be sleeping)

edit: ...or twelve days, even.

13 days until what?
Reply 2625
Hi all. :smile: I wanted to post here before making my own thread on the forum, but I have a question regarding accommodation for international students.
I'm from NYC and I'll be studying at Leeds in the spring, but I'm not too sure about accommodation arrangements. If I wanted to get private accommodation while I studied abroad at Leeds, would I be able to get semester-long contract as opposed to 39/42 weeks? I did want to do my full year abroad but I'm only able to go for one semester, so I'm not sure where this leaves me in regards to housing.
Additionally, should I go for university accommodation instead and will they even let me have only a semester-long contract? This might seem like a dumb question but in the States we pay for stuff per semester -- tuition, housing, meal plans, etc. haha. So any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Lovin
13 days until what?

A-level results day. :zomg:
Original post by dan2elle
Hi all. :smile: I wanted to post here before making my own thread on the forum, but I have a question regarding accommodation for international students.
I'm from NYC and I'll be studying at Leeds in the spring, but I'm not too sure about accommodation arrangements. If I wanted to get private accommodation while I studied abroad at Leeds, would I be able to get semester-long contract as opposed to 39/42 weeks? I did want to do my full year abroad but I'm only able to go for one semester, so I'm not sure where this leaves me in regards to housing.
Additionally, should I go for university accommodation instead and will they even let me have only a semester-long contract? This might seem like a dumb question but in the States we pay for stuff per semester -- tuition, housing, meal plans, etc. haha. So any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks! :biggrin:

If you're coming for the second semester - no problem either way. Yes, you can get university accommodation (you would need to apply online between November 1 and December 1) but, if you prefer private housing, you may be able to get a really good deal - there will be people who have left university but are tied into private housing contracts and will be looking for someone to take over their contract. The best place to look is the Unipol student to student noticeboard http://www.unipolnetletleeds.co.uk/noticeboard/default.asp
Reply 2628
Original post by Bella Occhi
A-level results day. :zomg:

Ooooooh. Well good luck hun with your results. :smile: Wish you all the best.
Reply 2629
Original post by Lovin
Ooooooh. Well good luck hun with your results. :smile: Wish you all the best.

are you on a gap year?
Reply 2630
Original post by dmz
are you on a gap year?

No, I'm returning to education after full time work, officially classed as a mature student. Have been in full time work ever since my dad took ill, so i never managed to complete my A-levels, I applied to Leeds for the Interdisciplinary Science foundation degree and got accepted. :smile:
Should have done this a long time ago but better late than never. :smile: Now that I know tht my family will be alright without my help, I can continue looking towards a future with working with animals. Which is something that I'v always wanted to do :smile:
Reply 2631
Original post by Lovin
No, I'm returning to education after full time work, officially classed as a mature student. Have been in full time work ever since my dad took ill, so i never managed to complete my A-levels, I applied to Leeds for the Interdisciplinary Science foundation degree and got accepted. :smile:
Should have done this a long time ago but better late than never. :smile: Now that I know tht my family will be alright without my help, I can continue looking towards a future with working with animals. Which is something that I'v always wanted to do :smile:

wow sounds great! Tho I'm not a fan of animals but it's awesome to be passionate about something :smile:
Reply 2632
Original post by dmz
wow sounds great! Tho I'm not a fan of animals but it's awesome to be passionate about something :smile:

Thank you :smile:
Yeh I really want to work in either animal conservation or animal rehabilitation. I wanna work all over the world and the one place I really wanna go to is south Africa.
Really wanna make a difference to endangered species. So as I said better late than never.
22 and going into university. But I'm sure there are lots of people who go to university later in life. :colondollar:
Reply 2633
Original post by Lovin
Thank you :smile:
Yeh I really want to work in either animal conservation or animal rehabilitation. I wanna work all over the world and the one place I really wanna go to is south Africa.
Really wanna make a difference to endangered species. So as I said better late than never.
22 and going into university. But I'm sure there are lots of people who go to university later in life. :colondollar:

Oh you're only 22? I'll only be starting my main degree then. You're still so young. For my medicine interview. There was a 44yr old and she got in :tongue:, I'm gonna be in uni till 26 :wink: i wanna be a humanitarian doctor in south America for a couple of yrs cos it would just be so cool!
There's a south African woman at my work who wants me to come and live in south Africa :laugh:
are you like doing a vet degree after or you don't need to?
Reply 2634
Original post by dmz
Oh you're only 22? I'll only be starting my main degree then. You're still so young. For my medicine interview. There was a 44yr old and she got in :tongue:, I'm gonna be in uni till 26 :wink: i wanna be a humanitarian doctor in south America for a couple of yrs cos it would just be so cool!
There's a south African woman at my work who wants me to come and live in south Africa :laugh:
are you like doing a vet degree after or you don't need to?

Well for that kinda work, ive been told it's mainly work experience after your degree. So basically these projects that you volunteer for in other countries would be my work experience. Not only will I get relevant contacts for my career choice i'll also get the work experience too.
I'm working as a casual at work after september so I can save up for these projects and fund them myself :smile:
Yeh i'll be 26 by the time I finish my foundation and the actual degree course. I WAS thnking about a masters but I'm not too sure how to go about it, iv looked into t but there's not a masters course that I like the look of. I'v been told to wait since masters course's change and new ones appear too.
See I love animals, would love to work with David Attenborough. Or craig Busch (the lion man) But my dream career would be to work in yellowstone national park with the wolves, even though that it's been decreed that wolves aren't an endangered species anymore and the USA have made a bill for a wolf hunting season :frown:
Would love to work in south africa nursing orphaned animals to better health and releasing them back into their habitat :smile:
Can't wait :smile:
Twelve days from now - i'll either have ordered my macbook pro or have committed suicide :s-smilie:
Reply 2636
and I'll either be getting a scholarship or not. Don't think i am tbh
Original post by Omiclops
Twelve days from now - i'll either have ordered my macbook pro or have committed suicide :s-smilie:

Boooo MacBook Pro. Still, I'll be the same apart from if I get in I'll have a huge grin on my face for about a month, my face will probably end up stuck like that permanently.
Reply 2638
Original post by accomoffice
If you're coming for the second semester - no problem either way. Yes, you can get university accommodation (you would need to apply online between November 1 and December 1) but, if you prefer private housing, you may be able to get a really good deal - there will be people who have left university but are tied into private housing contracts and will be looking for someone to take over their contract. The best place to look is the Unipol student to student noticeboard http://www.unipolnetletleeds.co.uk/noticeboard/default.asp

Thanks so much, this was really helpful!
So has anyone else thought about flat-warming parties on the moving-in weekend? ^^

Latest