The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Braddd
See AAB is really good. I would've been ecstatic with that. I'm gonna see about getting my maths appealed...
What are you As in?

Maths, Chem and H music
Original post by joemullally
A*A*A*a gives you the same Ucas points as AAAA at A2?

I don't see how the tariff's are that fair though :P

I mean in that situation its 480 ucas points and you havn't done the extra A level at A2

It could be argued that if the candidate hadn't taken 4 subjects then they could have got the *'s so then there's no reward in that situation for doing 4 A levels.

It isn't fair really.. but that's medicine applications :rolleyes:

Not much we can do about it and I'm too lazy to debate so it's just a case of accepting what is, is I'm afraid :sadnod:
Reply 2842
Original post by roar558
Maths, Chem and H music

You got an A for maths 0.o

In that paper?

And Penguinsaysquack, do you have a vendetta against me hahaha...
Original post by Braddd

In that paper?

It wasn't too bad though the last question had some pretty tough algebra.
Reply 2844
Original post by roar558
It wasn't too bad though the last question had some pretty tough algebra.

I panicked something awful in that exam and I basically gave up half way through. It's annoying though because maths has always been the subject that I'm best at and it's the only one that I was like 'I can get an A in this'.... Then that paper came along. ANY OTHER PAPER....

Oh well, what's done is done. Hopefully we'll both get in next year..
Reply 2845
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Oh right ok..

Wonder how this work for first time applicants though :erm:

Well I suppose this is better as a basis than the UKCAT but I don't think it's fair for a reapp with AAA to be the same as a first timer predicted AAA :noway:
But I suppose we don't know exactly how they are working it :nah:

Ta for the update :yy:

Yor question was asked and they said for first timers they would use the predicted grades and regardless of how many A*'s your predicted if you get through the ranking and then through interview they will then still only ask for AAA. I asked the head of admissions why there changed their policy and she said because the dean wanted them to increase the average tariff point of the people that got in
i dont get why that matters but yh :confused:

Oh and i think i remember her saying that for people who already have degrees then they would still be ranked on ukcat

I also think they said they were only going to look at four subjects but don't quote me on that cause im not sure.
Original post by Braddd
I panicked something awful in that exam and I basically gave up half way through. It's annoying though because maths has always been the subject that I'm best at and it's the only one that I was like 'I can get an A in this'.... Then that paper came along. ANY OTHER PAPER....

Oh well, what's done is done. Hopefully we'll both get in next year..

Love maths, though I have to agree that parts of the paper were a bit mean.

Doubt waiting list will pull through so yeah hopefully we'll both get in next year.
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
It isn't fair really.. but that's medicine applications :rolleyes:

Not much we can do about it and I'm too lazy to debate so it's just a case of accepting what is, is I'm afraid :sadnod:

Aye I know

hmm
we'll see how things pan out lol.
Original post by Braddd

In that paper?

Not at all :nah:

We're not supposed to discuss things out in the open but issue one was reversed if you look and issue two is just so you know :yep:

I don't hold vendettas (except against a select few :evil:)

Original post by aggie30
Yor question was asked and they said for first timers they would use the predicted grades and regardless of how many A*'s your predicted if you get through the ranking and then through interview they will then still only ask for AAA. I asked the head of admissions why there changed their policy and she said because the dean wanted them to increase the average tariff point of the people that got in
i dont get why that matters but yh :confused:

Oh and i think i remember her saying that for people who already have degrees then they would still be ranked on ukcat

I also think they said they were only going to look at four subjects but don't quote me on that cause im not sure.

I hate to think it but I wonder if they are trying to boost rankings :sigh:
Think average UCAS tariff is taken into account for some reason :rolleyes:

But anyway thanks again :top:

PSROM
Original post by joemullally
Aye I know

hmm
we'll see how things pan out lol.

Yeah well hopefully you'll get an interview anyway so you can be like me next year :ninja:
Original post by twelve

I'd definately get a job. Apart from the fact it'll mean you can get some money, its also something to occupy yourself - from what other applicants have said, it helps keep you sane. Its good to put on a ps as well - saying that you did lots of volunteering, but other than that just dossed around the house doesn't look brilliant...

But apart from that, I'd look back at thany of the other pages, and there will be loads of advice there :smile:

Hey thank you for the advice :smile: I'll look around for a job now! What are your plans for the gap year?
Reply 2850
Original post by Tinth
Lucky man, it's just so amazing there! It just felt like home.

Quadruple everyone else's school fees even though I'm a british citizen. Ah wells... :s-smilie:

Original post by dmz
i was thinking 680 for some reason, sorry :tongue:, 680 got vulpes in but he's an international student

Someone sounds a little resentful :catfight:
Reply 2851
Original post by Vulpes
Quadruple everyone else's school fees even though I'm a british citizen. Ah wells... :s-smilie:

Someone sounds a little resentful :catfight:

lol sorry didn't mean that
Reply 2852
Original post by Dr.Galaxy99
Hey thank you for the advice :smile: I'll look around for a job now! What are your plans for the gap year?

I've got myself a job, and am in the middle of signing up for a BSL course. But apart from that, visiting my friends at all their different universities, maybe a bit of travelling, and carrying on my bits of voluntary work :smile: I'm just trying to find lots to occupy myself!
Original post by twelve
I've got myself a job, and am in the middle of signing up for a BSL course. But apart from that, visiting my friends at all their different universities, maybe a bit of travelling, and carrying on my bits of voluntary work :smile: I'm just trying to find lots to occupy myself!

Lol my jobs full time and then I got the bank stuff on top of that.
I'm finding it difficult to get time atm.
Reply 2854
This is gonna be a LONG year. I'm half regretting this.
I think the first half of the year will fly by though - being so busy with our UCAS apps and (hopefully) interviews and that
Already 1month and a half has passed (almost) and it feels nowhere near that long for me
Reply 2856
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
I think the first half of the year will fly by though - being so busy with our UCAS apps and (hopefully) interviews and that
Already 1month and a half has passed (almost) and it feels nowhere near that long for me

I think you're right. Say we send of UCAS apps by about 5th October, then have a few weeks to get over the panic of doing it, and worrying that it could have been better. Then it'll be exciting doing all new things, and visiting friends at their universities... After Christmas, (or even before!) hopefully a few interviews, and all the prep for that. So I'd have though that about Feb-March kind of time is when we'll start to get fed up. Hopefully later, but by then the excitement of doing a gap year will start wearing off...

Thats why we need to start planning exciting things to do to round off the gap year in the summer :smile:

I had a dream last night, that I got two interview letters through on the same day. It was suchhh a good dream :biggrin:

So I'd better get back to UKCAT revision....
Reply 2857
Hiya everyone! Guess who's back :hi:

I really can't bring myself to start on UKCAT prep or Personal statement till after results day tbh.

I've got the feeling i'll either get my A's by a few UMS or miss them by a few UMS. It's a horrible feeling, and we still have 10 days to go :/
Original post by Braddd
This is gonna be a LONG year. I'm half regretting this.

It does speed up when you get busy :console:

Be a lot faster if you don't have any regrets so work hard, drink hard, and TSR hard :cool:

Original post by -Taz-
Hiya everyone! Guess who's back :hi:

I really can't bring myself to start on UKCAT prep or Personal statement till after results day tbh.

I've got the feeling i'll either get my A's by a few UMS or miss them by a few UMS. It's a horrible feeling, and we still have 10 days to go :/

You might want to start doing prep now anyway.. especially PS :erm:

Think about it.. if you want to get your PS reviewed you better submit it before us PS helpers start/go back to uni :redface:

Is it only 10 days? Thought it was the 25th for some reason :erm:
Got AAAAA for my highers! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Now to start studying for UKCAt nonsense... Boooooooooooooooo! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending