The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Can I ask, because nobody has made clear, and googling has provided no results when we actually apply for University, Oxbridge or otherwise?

Is it in Year 12 of the sixth form, or year 13? And would we apply towards the end or the beginning of these years?

Thanks
Original post by planetearth
Can I ask, because nobody has made clear, and googling has provided no results when we actually apply for University, Oxbridge or otherwise?

Is it in Year 12 of the sixth form, or year 13? And would we apply towards the end or the beginning of these years?

Thanks

Year 13, October 15th. Beginning.

Is that what you were asking? :s-smilie:

Thanks

The start of year 13. The final deadline is mid January, but many (most?) people will have submitted before Christmas. Applicants to Oxbridge or for medicine have to submit their application in mid October.

The whole process (receiving offers) can take most of the year though. And most people won't know for sure if they got the grades until August.
Original post by punctuation
Haha, hipster I see. :cool: The bridge is very nice... <3 Is it far from the centre?

Not at all, it's right near the Bodlein :smile:
Year 13, October 15th. Beginning.

Is that what you were asking? :s-smilie:

Original post by fluteflute
X

Yes, thank you very much for the info.
Original post by Banoffeepie16
x

Sorry for stalking you via your spoliers, but I was wondering (yes, I did read both your spoilers) how you found the universities of Exeter, KCL (as opposed to UCL, which many people seem to think has the better reputation/ facilities), Nottingham (isn't the campus 40 mins from the town itself?) and Southampton?

I know you probably have a lot to say about all of them, but I'm having trouble narrowing down my UCAS choices (except for Oxford, which is stupid because it's the one I'm least likely to get into, in fact after results day I might not be able to even appear on this thread again!) and you have the same short listed universities as me, I've just left it late to book open days, so I'm also asking people who have visited - although I'm definitely going to see Bristol and possibly Exeter, and I live close enough to London to visit UCL/ KCL easily, it's just the cost that puts me off - and I haven't completely decided whether I could actually live in London yet, or whether I'd hate it :confused:

So really, any advice or opinions or anything you think about any of those universities that you think might be useful, or that helped make up your mind (although I'd be applying for History btw) let me know! :tongue:

Thank you!

P.S, and do read L'etranger, I read it in English and then in French last summer, really liked it :wink:
Original post by Niki_girl

P.S, and do read L'etranger, I read it in English and then in French last summer, really liked it :wink:

have you read this? :teehee:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/jun/21/saturdayreviewsfeatres.guardianreview16
Original post by Elisaa
Thanks! Hopefully my grades for economics and management studies will make up for the maths. But telling me not to worry, is like telling a fish not to swim, haha. Have you decided on a college yet?

Haha I know what you mean, I worry all the time, waaay too much :tongue: But your economics and management grades are very good and you should at least get an interview with those grades. :smile: I'm applying to Merton College, I stayed there for the Open Day and I just loved it!!! But they only have an intake of 4 applicants each year for E&M :frown:
Original post by nightmare91
Haha I know what you mean, I worry all the time, waaay too much :tongue: But your economics and management grades are very good and you should at least get an interview with those grades. :smile: I'm applying to Merton College, I stayed there for the Open Day and I just loved it!!! But they only have an intake of 4 applicants each year for E&M :frown:

St John's has an intake of 3-5 applicants for psychology... D:
That's alright, join the club. :wink:

Sorry if you've mentioned and I forgot - but where are you from, what subject, what college, etc.? :biggrin: I assume you're Irina going by your username so I won't ask your name. :tongue:

That's fine, I'm applying to study Fine Art at Christ Church. And I'm from Romania, so..EU applicant :biggrin:.
Sorry for stalking you via your spoliers, but I was wondering (yes, I did read both your spoilers) how you found the universities of Exeter, KCL (as opposed to UCL, which many people seem to think has the better reputation/ facilities), Nottingham (isn't the campus 40 mins from the town itself?) and Southampton?

I know you probably have a lot to say about all of them, but I'm having trouble narrowing down my UCAS choices (except for Oxford, which is stupid because it's the one I'm least likely to get into, in fact after results day I might not be able to even appear on this thread again!) and you have the same short listed universities as me, I've just left it late to book open days, so I'm also asking people who have visited - although I'm definitely going to see Bristol and possibly Exeter, and I live close enough to London to visit UCL/ KCL easily, it's just the cost that puts me off - and I haven't completely decided whether I could actually live in London yet, or whether I'd hate it :confused:

So really, any advice or opinions or anything you think about any of those universities that you think might be useful, or that helped make up your mind (although I'd be applying for History btw) let me know! :tongue:

Thank you!

I read L'etranger too and also loved it :biggrin: (perhaps I should cross off the ones I've read from my list, it's a bit ambiguous!) I feel the same about Oxford, though hopefully all my reading and practice interviews will help! :s-smilie:

Anyway, I'm more than happy to give you my thoughts on the Unis you mentioned :smile:

Ok, so Bristol. It's such a nice place, the only downside about the location is that it's at the top of a verrryyy steep hill! But I think it's worth it. It's in a leafy, quiet environment, and the buildings are very pretty. I only saw the main campus and the languages department (which was very cosy, with its own language cinema :biggrin:), but it all seemed really nice. Great sports facilities, if you're into sports. It also isn't far from the shops, which is useful :smile: The city itself is really nice- not too busy, but busy enough, if that makes sense!

Exeter- I went yesterday :smile: I absolutely LOVE the campus. Basically, it's surrounded by rolling fields, so when you're at the Uni, there are beautiful views of the surrounding countryside. The whole campus is very green, lots of trees (the student who did my tour said their gardens had more species of tree than Kew gardens!) and flowers everywhere :smile: It's only a fifteen minute walk from the shopping centre, but you could never tell because it's so quiet there, all I heard were birds and running water from the fountains :rolleyes: Lots of societies, as with Bristol, and handy on-site Doctors etc. also a nightline service run by students which you can ring if you're walking home in the dark or something, I liked that idea :smile: The only problem I have with Exeter is to do with my course; it is the perfect place to go to Uni.

KCL- to be perfectly honest (this is only my opinion), it was a bit of a disappointment. It all seemed very close together within the main building. The hallways are lovely though, marble-like floors :smile: They also have their own nightclub. The location is the other thing which put me off a bit- It's quite near central London, and not living in a big city myself, I found the pollution from the busy traffic a bit too much, just the smell- not to say it's a 'smelly' place, I'm just not used to it :tongue: The best part, hands down about KCL is the library. Oh. my. It is incredible. If you can book a tour, I would recommend you make sure you go visit it. A huge circular room with shelves of books reaching to the ceiling. I love it :smile: The building is very old and grand and lovely.

UCL- Love love love UCL. It's in a quieter area of London, not a lot of traffic. The place itself is beautiful, and suprisingly green. Across from the main entrance is the biggest Waterstone's I've ever seen- 3/4 storeys tall and very wide. It has a Costa cafe and sections for almost any subject (Even an Ancient Greek section). They had a huge history section which might interest you :smile: Also there's a secondhand section with lots of old dusty books- including foreign ones which made me happy. I like the area a lot- it's part of the city which is quiet and peaceful, near to a Tube station when you want to be more central.

Nottingham- Right, well the campus is breathtaking, I kid you not. So many acres of green fields surrounding the main campus buildings with pretty lakes and such. Nice areas to sit outside in the sun and contemplate life :tongue: They have some useful shops on site including a Boots, banks etc. The library is great, with a cafe in it. The thing which sold it for me was the campus and the course combined. I didn't (I confess) make it into the city centre, but I was told it wasn't far?...

Southampton- Is a more modern-looking Uni :smile: well, I went to the Humanities campus. I can say, I had a cooked breakfast and it was yummy and at a reasonable price fyi :wink: It was very green, people very friendly, and they had a nice languages library :smile: I have a feeling there was a history one too. Their course isn't quite right for me, but it ticks the boxes in every other way. A really nice place. I'd imagined it in the city, but it's 15 minutes away on the outskirts, so you can easily go into West Quay.

If there are any others you want to know about, or if there are any specific questions about any of these, just let me know :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
St John's has an intake of 3-5 applicants for psychology... D:

Oh dear :s-smilie: Our chances are really low.... -.- By the way, how is it going with practicing for the TSA? :smile:

Oh dear, some nice translation work going on there.

Same thing happened to me today, trying to speak to a French student, and so deciding to translate some phrases literally word for word into French, then realising that they are the same word in English :colondollar:
Original post by nightmare91
Oh dear :s-smilie: Our chances are really low.... -.- By the way, how is it going with practicing for the TSA? :smile:

I haven't really touched anything TSA or PS-related since summer class started, to be honest - but I'm bringing one of my critical thinking books for the plane, so hopefully I can practise during then. Then, after my trip hopefully I'll really get into gear, finish the books, write my PS, and do some specimen papers... :sigh:
Original post by Banoffeepie16
I read L'etranger too and also loved it :biggrin: (perhaps I should cross off the ones I've read from my list, it's a bit ambiguous!) I feel the same about Oxford, though hopefully all my reading and practice interviews will help! :s-smilie:

Anyway, I'm more than happy to give you my thoughts on the Unis you mentioned :smile:

If there are any others you want to know about, or if there are any specific questions about any of these, just let me know :smile:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

According to google maps it takes 50 mins walking (read alongside the "suggested routes" section) from the "University park" to "Nottingham" city centre and then it says OR take public transport (26 mins) that's what kind of put me off :s-smilie: it's because I live in the centre of where I live now. I don't want to be away from the action!

Thank you! Your info has made me love everywhere again though :redface: I still have 10 places to choose from!! Now I have to visit Exeter :rolleyes: agrgh my mum's already taking me to other open days around that time...I shall have to convince her :colone:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

According to google maps it takes 50 mins walking (read alongside the "suggested routes" section) from the "University park" to "Nottingham" city centre and then it says OR take public transport (26 mins) that's what kind of put me off :s-smilie: it's because I live in the centre of where I live now. I don't want to be away from the action!

Thank you! Your info has made me love everywhere again though :redface: I still have 10 places to choose from!! Now I have to visit Exeter :rolleyes: agrgh my mum's already taking me to other open days around that time...I shall have to convince her :colone:

Aha, well they're all nice places. You're welcome :smile:
Oops! Thought it was closer than that. My bad :redface:
Good luck convincing :^_^:
hello everyone !
i m from France i would like to know as an international EU student do you have to have your reference letters and transcripts and so on translated by a certified translator or is it fine as long as it is written in English

thanks for replying !

ps I am interested in studying at UCL Edinburgh York Warwick Sussex Manchester the Courtauld to study history of art anyone studying there ?
edit
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by sarah lou
hello everyone !
i m from France i would like to know as an international EU student do you have to have your reference letters and transcripts and so on translated by a certified translator or is it fine as long as it is written in English

thanks for replying !

ps I am interested in studying at UCL Edinburgh York Warwick Sussex Manchester the Courtauld to study history of art anyone studying there ?

I know your PS *must* be in English and probably you should get your references in English as well. It will be easier for the admissions tutors.
ok I know it has to be done in English but I read somewhere it had to be translated by a certified translator not by me or by my aunt ( she is Irish but she is not a translator... )

and it is really hard , cause I m studying at prépa (French kind of preparatory school) and it doesnt have any equivalent in the UK I think it is really French; the grading system is really particular so if they only read my marks it wont be really representative of my skills and stuff.. I m wondering where/how i could explain it correctly