Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
I did this year
H English
H Maths
H Music
H Biology
H Chemistry

I want to study medicine, at the time of my 6th year choices my school were offering very few AH's so I could only do
AH Music
AH Chemistry (at another schhol)
H History.

Edinburgh is my first choice and SRA told me that although biology and chemistry are preferred AH's they would not penalise you if you couldn't do both but you must do 2 AH's and one new H. They said there was no point at all in doing 3 AH's.

Now my school has decided to offer AH Biology so I can now do
AH Biology
AH Chemistry(at another school)
H History
i was just going to drop AH Music as there doesn't seem to be much point if I am already doing 2 AH's in the preferred subjects?

Even if I don't do medicine it will be something like chemistry or biochemistry - I'll never do music so thinkif I was going to do 4 subjects I would be better doing another H - although then it would have to be a crash.
This year I sat:-
H English
H History
H Modern Studies
H Music
H Chemistry

So far for next year I've picked:-
Adv. H Modern Studies
Adv. H English
Adv. H Music

However, I've had some serious, serious issues with Chemistry this year so I'm fully expecting to add another Higher to the list. I was thinking re-sit chemistry, though I can't imagine the prospect of having to sit it again. Serious dislike issues and all...
okay, I got my standard grade results through and I did quite well, for myself anyway.
I got five 1's and three 2's. the 1's were for Maths, Physics, Biology, Computing and Geography and the 2's were for English, French and Art.
This year(5th) i've decided to do English, Maths, Chemistry(as a crash) and Human Biology, but for my final subject i'm undecided between Geography and Computing...
I got 1/1 for both subjects, so really i'm looking for the one with the smallest amount of workload as it's going to be hard juggling 5 highers, especially when 1 is a crash.
HELP PLEEEEASE!
I'm going into 6th year and after receiving my results it seems I need to make some subjects changes.Would,

Higher History
Higher Geography
Higher Latin
Advanced Higher German
be too much of a workload? I need this amount to gain access to university of my choice and am thinking of adding Higher English(resit) to this,but I don't know if I can go trough the pain of higher english all over again.no offence to anyone who enjoyed it of course.
Reply 244
This year I sat:
Higher Maths- C
Higher English- C
Higher Biology- B
Higher Art- B
Intermediate 2 Chemistry- B

In 6th year I'm thinking of doing:
Higher Geography
Higher Chemistry
Higher Modern Studies(crash)
Not sure what else...mabye Higher Physics/Economics(both crashes)

I want to do Biomedical Science, so I will be working extra hard this year as I was disappointed with this years this results.
Next year I'll be studying AH Bio, Chem, Maths and Crash H. Physics this leaves me with private study as my 5th choice. I'll also be travelling between 3 different schools to do my subjects (including my own) so will probably need the free column.

I did Highers in English, Bio, Chem, Maths, French and got 5 A's and want to study medicine.

My question is: would taking a 5th Higher this year add anything to my application? I'm considering crash Higher History or picking back up Modern Studies at Higher. Would these add anything to my application?
Reply 246
Original post by mckinnon94
Next year I'll be studying AH Bio, Chem, Maths and Crash H. Physics this leaves me with private study as my 5th choice. I'll also be travelling between 3 different schools to do my subjects (including my own) so will probably need the free column.

I did Highers in English, Bio, Chem, Maths, French and got 5 A's and want to study medicine.

My question is: would taking a 5th Higher this year add anything to my application? I'm considering crash Higher History or picking back up Modern Studies at Higher. Would these add anything to my application?

No. You'll have two investigations to complete - don't take these lightly, they are hard work and will be even harder considering your travel arrangements.

Excel at your 4 subjects and you'll be just as competitive as the next applicant.
Reply 247
Original post by christinaaxox
okay, I got my standard grade results through and I did quite well, for myself anyway.
I got five 1's and three 2's. the 1's were for Maths, Physics, Biology, Computing and Geography and the 2's were for English, French and Art.
This year(5th) i've decided to do English, Maths, Chemistry(as a crash) and Human Biology, but for my final subject i'm undecided between Geography and Computing...
I got 1/1 for both subjects, so really i'm looking for the one with the smallest amount of workload as it's going to be hard juggling 5 highers, especially when 1 is a crash.
HELP PLEEEEASE!

Computing has a 30% coursework element, so you will have less work to do in preparation for the final exam. However, Geography has no coursework but you need to be able to memorize lots and lots of details.

If you want less work over the year but more work before your final exam, take Geography.

If you want to do a bit of work during the year but have less to do for the final exam, take Computing.
Original post by Delaney
Computing has a 30% coursework element, so you will have less work to do in preparation for the final exam. However, Geography has no coursework but you need to be able to memorize lots and lots of details.

If you want less work over the year but more work before your final exam, take Geography.

If you want to do a bit of work during the year but have less to do for the final exam, take Computing.

that's swayed me more towards Computing, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending