The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2500
Original post by adamrules247
Back from being away for a few days. Youth 2000 soon :biggrin:

Welcome back, adam. And only 10 days to go till WYD. No wonder you're smiling. :smile:
Original post by The_Last_Melon
You do not seem like a person that has absorbed anything that is written in the bible.

yawn is a good example of Christianity actually. She's been very kind to me and to others too :smile:

I appreciate that you might wish to learn more about the Catholic faith by following the thread and it's admirable that you take an interest but please understand that posting is for Catholics only, since this is the only place we have to share our faith free from ridicule and criticism from others :yes:
Reply 2502
The_Lonely_Goatherd

Thank you for your support, my dear friend. :five:
Original post by yawn
Thank you for your support, my dear friend. :five:

No worries :smile:

I've just watched The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe to cheer myself up. Such a lovely film. Aslan does make me wish that God felt a bit closer and real to me. I know He's right there but having a difficult few days and feeling somewhat abandoned :frown:
Surely that just teaches you to look for him in less obvious places?
Reply 2505
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
No worries :smile:

I've just watched The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe to cheer myself up. Such a lovely film. Aslan does make me wish that God felt a bit closer and real to me. I know He's right there but having a difficult few days and feeling somewhat abandoned :frown:

That is indeed a lovely film. I was close to tears at some points, but then I can empathise so critical appraisal of film is beyond me. :redface:

What you have said about feeling abandoned is spooky inasmuch as there has been a debate going on about how, if Jesus is God, how come He cried out to the Father when He was being crucified "My God, My God, why have You abandoned Me?"

God knows what it is like to feel abandoned, and I would assume that He knows how you are feeling at this moment. It is problematic for you that when listening to God after asking Him for His help, you can't always discern (because of the effects of your illness) whether it is God who is communicating with you, or something else. Maybe this is why you have feelings of abandonment. I really feel helpless to be of much help to you, but please know that I am with you in spirit and praying that these periods of near despair become less and less frequent as you get more and more of the right sort of help.

God bless. :smile:
Original post by Ethereal
Surely that just teaches you to look for him in less obvious places?

Not really: I can see God in everything and everyone, everywhere, when He is present. It just means I need to relax a bit and let myself be vulnerable around Him.

Let me guess: God is on a deserted hilltop at midnight, right? :p:

yawn: Thank you for your post. Both my nurse and therapist are leaving imminently, so part of me feels somewhat forsaken, as Jesus felt on the Cross. I have no doubt that God has a plan and that this is happening for a reason, but these two have been such a good help to me and have listened to all my Christian ramblings so well that I will be sorry to see them go. Who knows if their replacements will be as willing to listen :frown: Thank you for reminding me that God knows how I feel :smile:

I hear four types of religious voices: what I call the God voice, the Virgin Mary, the "Jesus" voice and evil voices. The problematic ones are the evil voices (obviously) and the Jesus voices. I have absolutely no idea where the Jesus voices are coming from, which unnerves me a lot. I'm hoping the hospital chaplain I'm seeing might have some ideas. If he doesn't, I'm going to harrass my school's Catholic priest until he sees me again :biggrin:
Not really: I can see God in everything and everyone, everywhere, when He is present. It just means I need to relax a bit and let myself be vulnerable around Him.

Let me guess: God is on a deserted hilltop at midnight, right? :p:

Absolutely one of the best places to hear his voice and know his power.

Likewise Millennium Bridge, facing Tower Bridge, in a storm.
Absolutely one of the best places to hear his voice and know his power.

Likewise Millennium Bridge, facing Tower Bridge, in a storm.

I don't like being outside during storms :nah:
I don't like being outside during storms :nah:

One of the few times I feel genuine peace
One of the few times I feel genuine peace

Have you ever been to any shrines? I found genuine peace at Lourdes and had a lovely chat with the Virgin Mary. Could have stayed there forever. Though I'd probs have to become a nun to do that :biggrin:
Reply 2511

yawn: Thank you for your post. Both my nurse and therapist are leaving imminently, so part of me feels somewhat forsaken, as Jesus felt on the Cross. I have no doubt that God has a plan and that this is happening for a reason, but these two have been such a good help to me and have listened to all my Christian ramblings so well that I will be sorry to see them go. Who knows if their replacements will be as willing to listen :frown: Thank you for reminding me that God knows how I feel :smile:

That's a real bummer that the two whom you rely on to help you the most are moving on. One wonders where the consistency is. I'm sure though that their notes reflect the good that has been done, and the improvement you have made under their care...and that those taking over will be aware of the progress and not do anything to undermine it. My sister works in the caring profession and as the one responsible for managing the team of professionals in her particular area of expertise, her greatest priority is that the patients do get consistency when there is staffing reorganisation.

I hear four types of religious voices: what I call the God voice, the Virgin Mary, the "Jesus" voice and evil voices. The problematic ones are the evil voices (obviously) and the Jesus voices. I have absolutely no idea where the Jesus voices are coming from, which unnerves me a lot. I'm hoping the hospital chaplain I'm seeing might have some ideas. If he doesn't, I'm going to harrass my school's Catholic priest until he sees me again :biggrin:
Good for you, sister. Now you see, that's positive thought which can move mountains!
Have you ever been to any shrines? I found genuine peace at Lourdes and had a lovely chat with the Virgin Mary. Could have stayed there forever. Though I'd probs have to become a nun to do that :biggrin:

No, not in that sense.
Original post by yawn
That's a real bummer that the two whom you rely on to help you the most are moving on. One wonders where the consistency is. I'm sure though that their notes reflect the good that has been done, and the improvement you have made under their care...and that those taking over will be aware of the progress and not do anything to undermine it. My sister works in the caring profession and as the one responsible for managing the team of professionals in her particular area of expertise, her greatest priority is that the patients do get consistency when there is staffing reorganisation.

Good for you, sister. Now you see, that's positive thought which can move mountains!

It's so unfortunate and feels somewhat unfair but they're both being really nice about it. We talk about it lots and they've promised to say a proper goodbye and not ditch me like people at uni did, which is nice of them :smile: I'm going to insist my psychiatrist gives me someone nice who will listen. If they don't, I'll just walk out :smile:
Reply 2514
It's so unfortunate and feels somewhat unfair but they're both being really nice about it. We talk about it lots and they've promised to say a proper goodbye and not ditch me like people at uni did, which is nice of them :smile: I'm going to insist my psychiatrist gives me someone nice who will listen. If they don't, I'll just walk out :smile:

Don't walk out...they'll consider that you've discharged yourself from their care and then you might be on your own which is the worst possible outcome for you at the moment.

Stand your ground and be assertive, firm and resolute that the appointment of new personnel handling your care can be the sort of people who can form a rapport with you. You must try to avoid situations where your anger bubbles up and ends up hurting you. Be brave and handle it wisely. I'll help if I can, if you want to pm me if any problems do arise, with suggestions of how to deal effectively with them...until you are such an expert in handling situations that you don't need anyone else to guide you. I sincerely hope that day comes very quickly for you.

I have to go offline for the night now as my spine is giving me great pain from sitting at my laptop. Hopefully, we'll catch up some time tomorrow.

God bless you. :smile:
Original post by yawn
Don't walk out...they'll consider that you've discharged yourself from their care and then you might be on your own which is the worst possible outcome for you at the moment.

Stand your ground and be assertive, firm and resolute that the appointment of new personnel handling your care can be the sort of people who can form a rapport with you. You must try to avoid situations where your anger bubbles up and ends up hurting you. Be brave and handle it wisely. I'll help if I can, if you want to pm me if any problems do arise, with suggestions of how to deal effectively with them...until you are such an expert in handling situations that you don't need anyone else to guide you. I sincerely hope that day comes very quickly for you.

I have to go offline for the night now as my spine is giving me great pain from sitting at my laptop. Hopefully, we'll catch up some time tomorrow.

God bless you. :smile:

Wise words, as always. I suppose I shouldn't walk out but merely make my opinions known and respected. Thanks yawn :smile:
Reply 2516

Lourdes is amazing. And you wouldn't necessarily. You could work at the hospital, or somewhere else in the hospitality. If you really wanted to, I'm sure you could find some way of doing it. Or at least spending a year there. :yep:

Not sure when I'll be back in my home parish again now. Off to WYD on Thursday, then when I get back I'll be off again the Friday after, so may not be back until Christmas.
Reply 2517
After mentioning World Youth Day 2011, at Mass today the Sunday Bulletin's front and back pages were dedicated to the event!

It was very informative and reviewed what our current and last Popes said at their respective WYD's

In 1985 when Pope John Paul II initiated the WYD programme, he had invited young people to Rome as part of the UN Year for Youth. He told the youth of the world to "always be prepared to make a defence to anyone who calls you to account for the hope that is in you." I know that most of us do that, maybe more could remember to, particularly on TSR!

Three years ago in Sydney, Pope Benedict challenged young people by asking them "What will you leave to the next generation? Are you building your lives on firm foundations, building something that will endure? What difference will you make?

Thought provoking indeed...and those who are lucky enough to be going to Madrid next Thursday (wow...that's coming round very quickly, isn't it?) might want to prepare themselves in case the Pope asks the questions again, expecting positive answers. :wink:

Anyway, over the next four weeks the Sunday Bulletin is going to be reflecting on World Youth Day with participants past and present. For those who are going to WYD, and whose parishes use the Sunday Bulletin for their own Parish notices, ask someone to keep a copy so as you can read those you miss whilst you're away.

God bless. :smile:
Original post by yawn

Thought provoking indeed...and those who are lucky enough to be going to Madrid next Thursday (wow...that's coming round very quickly, isn't it?) might want to prepare themselves in case the Pope asks the questions again, expecting positive answers. :wink:

I'm going to Madrid on thursday :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Just fundraised the last £200 today as well - i like living life on the edge. It sounds like a lot of really good information on the bulletein - the phrase are you building your lives on firm foundations strikes a chord for me...I think my foundations could do with a little bit of work :P Its amazing how many people's lives have been touched by WYD, even today a lady came up to me and said she had been at the one in 2000 and how much it had changed their lives :smile:

Lourdes is amazing. And you wouldn't necessarily. You could work at the hospital, or somewhere else in the hospitality. If you really wanted to, I'm sure you could find some way of doing it. Or at least spending a year there. :yep:

Not sure when I'll be back in my home parish again now. Off to WYD on Thursday, then when I get back I'll be off again the Friday after, so may not be back until Christmas.

I totally second that. I went as a handmaid in Lourdes last year and it was amazing. I went through school (As our head teacher was the head handmaid for the Birmingham diocesan pilgrimage) and some of the teachers used to go out for a couple of months during the summer holidays. And if that doesn't appeal my mum worked in a book shop their back in the 80s so you never know - where there is a will there is a way as the saying goes:P

Also Hello all by the way, I popped in a month or so back and then disappeared again! :ciao:
Reply 2519
Angelicus

That's great that you're off to WYD on Thursday. Do come back afterwards and give us all the goss. You'll be very welcome, and indeed, very welcome whenever you want to 'pop in' to the society thread.

Have a great time! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending