The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Anyone Else Starting the Japanese Studies Course in September 2011?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Recently made a kana deck for Anki to get more handwriting practice for more exotic ones like ゐ/ゑ. Vocab/Kanji is just the stuff I had to learn for JLPT N5.

Other than the mandatory kana, I don't think there's a point to learning a lot over the summer. I'm really only doing the vocab and kanji decks because otherwise I'd feel bad about breaking my routine. -_-
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by avila
Recently made a kana deck for Anki to get more handwriting practice for more exotic ones like ゐ/ゑ. Vocab/Kanji is just the stuff I had to learn for JLPT N5.

Other than the mandatory kana, I don't think there's a point to learning a lot over the summer. I'm really only doing the vocab and kanji decks because otherwise I'd feel bad about breaking my routine. -_-

Never seen those before, looks like Arabic or something! And here's me thinking ヲ was weird :tongue:
Original post by 07734
XD That sounds like fun! Sinful stuff!!! *mind wanders down naughtier routes* hehehe.

Nah, I just don't drink alcohol for personal reasons :biggrin: I'm all my for listening to a good band and joining in the social stuff. I just don't drink :wink:

I WANT TO START UNI!!!! :biggrin: I just hope I don't end up in a class full of people who think they're amazing because they did A-levels and moan that they have to redo the basics :'(

P.s. Does anyone wanna me to their msn or skype IM? Hehe, it might be an idea if we can all talk to each other and get to know each other better before September. I use a low budget version of msn to talk to my little sister at home and so it's usually running at night if anyone is interested :biggrin:

First i'll answer the question about the very first lesson...

If i remember, we learned how to introduce eachother, like hajimema****e etc etc, and then we did times/dates etc...it's kinda fuzzy though

Anything you wanna ask me on skype i'm available - Stevekun1986, feel free to add me
Reply 243
Original post by GuineaPrig
Never seen those before, looks like Arabic or something! And here's me thinking ヲ was weird :tongue:

わ/ワ - wa
ゐ/ヰ - wi
(wu is obsolete)
ゑ/ヱ - we
を/ヲ - wo

They'll tell you wi and we are rarely used (more rarely than ヲ). But that still implies they do get used.

Sitting there, going "Te--um, wtf??" felt bad.
Original post by avila
わ/ワ - wa
ゐ/ヰ - wi
(wu is obsolete)
ゑ/ヱ - we
を/ヲ - wo

They'll tell you wi and we are rarely used (more rarely than ヲ). But that still implies they do get used.

All of these are obsolete :P
except wa obviously
and the hiragana wo, though the katakana wo is never used anymore
Original post by avila
わ/ワ - wa
ゐ/ヰ - wi
(wu is obsolete)
ゑ/ヱ - we
を/ヲ - wo

ゐ/ヰ - wi
ゑ/ヱ - we

These are more or less archaic now, I have never seen them other than on a full kana chart, no point learning them. exists purely for the purpose of chart completion.
Reply 248
Original post by Kendo_Artist
and the hiragana wo, though the katakana wo is never used anymore

Doesn't change the fact Japanese know them and hence they need to be learned. :smile:
Reply 249
Original post by Im_a_cyborg
These are more or less archaic now, I have never seen them other than on a full kana chart, no point learning them. exists purely for the purpose of chart completion.

Previous experience has shown me that "never used in real life" stabs you in the back quite quickly. It's not like I can un-learn it now anyway. >_>
Reply 250
I see a lot just reading forums in Japanese, for example ヲタ. I know it's kinda slang but still...
Reply 251
Original post by Susant
I'm just going to try and rock freshers without feeling the need to drink loads. :tongue:

By the way, just how much preparation have people done so far? Nein on my end.

Oh, and if one does possess a facebook, don't forget to join the Japanese 2011 group. It's nice to put a face to some names :biggrin:

I'm on that group! :biggrin: I'm the person called Courtny =D

I think everyone should join it as it's the easiest way of all communicating with each other and there's quite a few people on there already =)
Reply 253

hmmmm, odd. It seems a tad late to still be working on the catalog with the start of the course just over a month away. But something about being able to skip every non-language module seems to defy the point of a course in Japanese Studies.

Maybe an inquiry is in order :hmmm:
Reply 254
http://www-online.shef.ac.uk:3001/live/owa/web_cal.cal_year_form?course_code=EASU02&course_title=East+Asian+Studies+(BA/East+Asian+Studies)&nos=T&adm_code=&int_level=&p_year=2011

:confused:

edit: Just found a major security hole on that page and reported it. I wish I would have never studied Computer Science. ;-;
(edited 12 years ago)
To current students: Which are the easiest/most interesting modules to take in the 1st and 2nd years in your opinion?
Reply 256

Original post by Susant
hmmmm, odd. It seems a tad late to still be working on the catalog with the start of the course just over a month away. But something about being able to skip every non-language module seems to defy the point of a course in Japanese Studies.

Maybe an inquiry is in order :hmmm:

I'm pretty certain (99.9%) that that is just wrong. It says that Year 2 has 80 unrestricted but that isn't the case unfortunately (it's 40/40). I seem to remember it was similarly messed up last year. I'd go by the 2010 one. Although it's possible there might still be some changes.

Original post by Digital_Love
To current students: Which are the easiest/most interesting modules to take in the 1st and 2nd years in your opinion?

I wouldn't say any of the modules (that I took anyway) are particularly difficult. You're not expected to have done history to do a history module, or to have done literature to do a literature module. If you're good at writing essays then you'll probably do pretty well (if you're not, then you'll have to work a lot harder! All the modules are primarily essay based.)

These are the ones I took:
Chinese Economic Development. 40% of the module grade was from a 20 question multiple choice test - which was really nice when other people spent weeks writing several-thousand word essays for other modules for the same %. The lecturer was also brilliant, and gave us amazing handouts every week - which were perfect for revision. So yeah, I'd definitely recommend that module, although almost no one doing J studies did this.

Japanese Politics. The lecturer for that is also great. It was good to learn about Japan's political system since I previously knew nothing about it. Most people doing JS took this.

Japanese Literature. Again because I hadn't read a whole lot of Japanese literature, and hadn't known what modernism, post-modernism etc meant for literature. Quite a lot of JS students took this. Don't do it if you don't intend to do the reading (100 pages+ a week) because you'll be expected to be able to talk about the readings in class and part of your grade is based on your participation in discussions.

Japan's Economy and Management. Nice lecturer, useful slides (although there were a lot of them!) and pretty interesting topics. The first few weeks were quite history based, and then it kind of morphed into management topics like Corporate Governance. I found it really interesting, but some of my friends didn't - probably not for you if you aren't interested in economics. Very few people from JS did this.

Personally I think they were all really interesting + all of a similar level (I actually got an identical mark in 3 of the 4 modules). So IMO I don't think that differences in difficulty is much of a concern. The most interesting for me was Chinese Economic Development - for the obvious reason that China's economy is really dynamic and talked about nowadays. I would do all of them again for sure.

Loads of people doing JS did History and lots of people really disliked it/found it really difficult. Although several people did well in it. I think they found it difficult because it covered 1000 years of history in some detail, so there was a lot to learn. But I didn't do it, so I might be wrong.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tommles
I'm pretty certain (99.9%) that that is just wrong. It says that Year 2 has 80 unrestricted but that isn't the case unfortunately (it's 40/40). I seem to remember it was similarly messed up last year. I'd go by the 2010 one. Although it's possible there might still be some changes.

I wouldn't say any of the modules (that I took anyway) are particularly difficult. You're not expected to have done history to do a history module, or to have done literature to do a literature module. If you're good at writing essays then you'll probably do pretty well (if you're not, then you'll have to work a lot harder! All the modules are primarily essay based.)

These are the ones I took:
Chinese Economic Development. 40% of the module grade was from a 20 question multiple choice test - which was really nice when other people spent weeks writing several-thousand word essays for other modules for the same %. The lecturer was also brilliant, and gave us amazing handouts every week - which were perfect for revision. So yeah, I'd definitely recommend that module, although almost no one doing J studies did this.

Japanese Politics. The lecturer for that is also great. It was good to learn about Japan's political system since I previously knew nothing about it. Most people doing JS took this.

Japanese Literature. Again because I hadn't read a whole lot of Japanese literature, and hadn't known what modernism, post-modernism etc meant for literature. Quite a lot of JS students took this. Don't do it if you don't intend to do the reading (100 pages+ a week) because you'll be expected to be able to talk about the readings in class and part of your grade is based on your participation in discussions.

Japan's Economy and Management. Nice lecturer, useful slides (although there were a lot of them!) and pretty interesting topics. The first few weeks were quite history based, and then it kind of morphed into management topics like Corporate Governance. I found it really interesting, but some of my friends didn't - probably not for you if you aren't interested in economics. Very few people from JS did this.

Personally I think they were all really interesting + all of a similar level (I actually got an identical mark in 3 of the 4 modules). So IMO I don't think that differences in difficulty is much of a concern. The most interesting for me was Chinese Economic Development - for the obvious reason that China's economy is really dynamic and talked about nowadays. I would do all of them again for sure.

Loads of people doing JS did History and lots of people really disliked it/found it really difficult. Although several people did well in it. I think they found it difficult because it covered 1000 years of history in some detail, so there was a lot to learn. But I didn't do it, so I might be wrong.

How many of the modules must you take in 1st year? And are there other options like the Chinese Economic Development?
Reply 258
Original post by Digital_Love
How many of the modules must you take in 1st year? And are there other options like the Chinese Economic Development?

80 credits of Japanese language, 20 credits of Japan-related modules, and 20 credits unrestricted. You'll therefore probably do 4 non-language modules. Or it could be 3 since most modules are 10 credits but some are 20 credits.

You have to do at least 2 modules from J Politics, J History, J Literature and J Economy. Then the other 20 credits can be whatever you want from anywhere within the uni. There are lots of other modules you can do in the East Asian Studies department relating to other countries, so you could do Chinese politics or Korean history or Gender in East Asia etc. There's quite a lot to choose from. This link will give you an idea of the ones you can pick - click on each one to see more about it and how it's assessed. http://www-online.shef.ac.uk:3001/pls/live/web_cal.cal3_unit_form?dept_code=EAS&dept_name=East+Asian+Studies&disp_year=10

The 20 credit modules (this year) were only in the 2nd semester, so you could only do a 20 credit module if you'd done your 2 Japan modules in the 1st semester (which meant doing politics and history). Complicated, I know! Not sure if I have explained it clearly enough. They will explain all of this to you in your intro meeting of course :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 259
Hi all!
I'm starting the MA Japanese Studies course this September and was wondering if there are any post-grads here and if anyone who has already taken the course could offer me any advice or information on modules etc? I have a good idea of what I will be choosing but any tips and info is welcome :smile:. Also looking forward to meeting Japanese Studies students and will you be joining the Japanese society and is there an Anime society at Sheffield?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending