The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2100
Everyday I am convinced that I'm going to fail miserably. It's the stupid A* that's got me worried.
Reply 2101
Same... my module marks were pretty high last year, so I should be okay to get decent grades, but the A* haunts me...
Reply 2102
My modules were good in January to the point that the A* shouldn't be a problem but the exam was horrible.

Let me rephrase that since someone didn't like it...

After getting my offer I worked my ass of and didn't sleep properly for weeks, revised non-stop and had no social life. I ended up doing extremely well in the January modules as a result which put me in a strong position for an A*. I then found the exam in June horrible and doubt that I managed to get the A*. Since the June module is carries more UMS points than the January module I'm not confident at all.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2103
We don't do modular, so its all hanging on the summer exams... I can't say I'm looking forward to the 18th at all. Do you reckon they ever lower the grades if you miss them?
Reply 2104
No idea really. Depends on subject too, in medicine they have open offer holders that are allocated colleges before people who miss their offers are considered. I'm just terrified about the whole idea.
Reply 2105
I am so scared that a) I'll miss my offer.
b) People/teachers/parents/students at my school will wonder why I didn't do better. ("After all, she DID get an offer to Cambridge... how did she get in with those grades? There are others here who did better than her and didn't get in...")
People pressure is the worst :frown:
Original post by kpatb
b) People/teachers/parents/students at my school will wonder why I didn't do better. ("After all, she DID get an offer to Cambridge... how did she get in with those grades? There are others here who did better than her and didn't get in...")

Tell me about it!!! It's so stressful and there's nothing left to do about it! Except maybe have a mad panic trying to sort it if you miss out by like 1 mark on the day.

I'm sure we'll be fineeeee though! Whatever happens is meant to (this is my comfort at the minute lol :tongue:)
The thought of STEP results :headhurts:
Reply 2108
Original post by kpatb

Aye, same here. Although scared maybe isn't the right word in my case because I'm expecting it. And I've already briefed my teachers/family/mates that I'm not getting in, so they can get to **** if they say owt on results day.
Original post by kpatb
b) People/teachers/parents/students at my school will wonder why I didn't do better. ("After all, she DID get an offer to Cambridge... how did she get in with those grades? There are others here who did better than her and didn't get in...&quot:wink:

I hate people pressure, my head of sixth wants me to fail, he clearly said it, but it's the STEP I'm most worried about :cry2:
Original post by cpdavis
I hate people pressure, my head of sixth wants me to fail, he clearly said it, but it's the STEP I'm most worried about :cry2:

How did he say he wanted you to fail? :mad:
Original post by ukdragon37
How did he say he wanted you to fail? :mad:

When my predicted grade for physics was changed to an A after a big debate, he told his accounting class (not a real subject) that he want's a certain someone to not get there grade for physics so he can laugh at them on results day (ie me) after getting my offer, he had to write a report about me and in it he said that he feels getting an A for physics will be overwelming and that I will not get it

Either way, he's a ****ing bastard who I hope burns in hell :u:
Reply 2112
Original post by cpdavis
When my predicted grade for physics was changed to an A after a big debate, he told his accounting class (not a real subject) that he want's a certain someone to not get there grade for physics so he can laugh at them on results day (ie me) after getting my offer, he had to write a report about me and in it he said that he feels getting an A for physics will be overwelming and that I will not get it

HAHA
(although very mean and generalising) +rep for saying "accounting class (not a real subject)"
:biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2113
Original post by magicalyoghurt
Tell me about it!!! It's so stressful and there's nothing left to do about it! Except maybe have a mad panic trying to sort it if you miss out by like 1 mark on the day.
I'm sure we'll be fineeeee though! Whatever happens is meant to (this is my comfort at the minute lol :tongue:)

Original post by Zuzuzu
Aye, same here. Although scared maybe isn't the right word in my case because I'm expecting it. And I've already briefed my teachers/family/mates that I'm not getting in, so they can get to **** if they say owt on results day.

Original post by cpdavis

This may not make any of you feel better but I'm so glad it isn't just me who feels this way!:smile:

Cpdavis, at least you have an offer to go to Cambridge :biggrin: Bet your head of Sixth form didn't have that! :u: (and if he did... well, there goes my argument down the drain :rolleyes:)

Yeah, I've already panicked at all my friends/family/teachers too.

I'm panicking SO much about my Music exam that I've just sent my music teacher a panic email explaining to him how badly I'm going to fail my music exam and that I'm having nightmares about it. (Oh yeah, bet none of you were that bad!:cool:)

I'm sure we'll all be fine!:biggrin:......

hopefully.
Argghhhhhh guys I cannot help myself, I keep coming onto TSR even though I'm trying to forget about the dreaded results day

I'm 50/50 on whether I got in, this A* business is gonna be the death of me. I totally messed up C3 Maths, I spilled water on my paper when i was about 70% through it and totally panicked and just lost all hope during the exam as I was worried that my writing would smudge. OMG it was a bloody nightmare

What are you guys doing the last 10 days to keep yourself preoccupied?

Good Luck to everyone btw!!
Reply 2115
Original post by cpdavis

I know exactly how you feel. My head of year actually detests me, so before exams she preceded to give a 30 minute speech about how people who aim too high will regret it, because if you aim for an A* and don't get it your a complete failure, you've failed to achieve your goals and so therefore don't deserve to go to a good uni, and infact she pitys people who delude themselves about their capabilities. Whereas if you aim for a C or a D and get it then your a success.
It was thouroughly motivational. :smile:
And a stellar message for the rest of the year I thought....
Original post by kpatb
HAHA
(although very mean and generalising) +rep for saying "accounting class (not a real subject)"
:biggrin:

:rofl:

Original post by kpatb
This may not make any of you feel better but I'm so glad it isn't just me who feels this way!:smile:

Cpdavis, at least you have an offer to go to Cambridge :biggrin: Bet your head of Sixth form didn't have that! :u: (and if he did... well, there goes my argument down the drain :rolleyes:)

Yeah, I've already panicked at all my friends/family/teachers too.

I'm panicking SO much about my Music exam that I've just sent my music teacher a panic email explaining to him how badly I'm going to fail my music exam and that I'm having nightmares about it. (Oh yeah, bet none of you were that bad!:cool:)

I'm sure we'll all be fine!:biggrin:......

hopefully.

You'll be fine! For me, I was the first person ever in my school to receive an offer and he made it extremely difficult to apply (he sent back my application 3 times to change it! ) When it came to interview they got some person to do inteview prep for people with interviews bar me, and it was not a nice period to be in school (considered doing A Levels from home) but I got through to the other end :smile:

I really hope everyone here makes their offer :woo:
Original post by emma1701
I know exactly how you feel. My head of year actually detests me, so before exams she preceded to give a 30 minute speech about how people who aim too high will regret it, because if you aim for an A* and don't get it your a complete failure, you've failed to achieve your goals and so therefore don't deserve to go to a good uni, and infact she pitys people who delude themselves about their capabilities. Whereas if you aim for a C or a D and get it then your a success.

Wow she sounds like a bitch! When you get her A*A*A*, just shove it in her face and say "suck on that!!!" :tongue:
Original post by emma1701

I would give a sharp reply about how schools that aim too high in the league tables will regret it also, but in his case his school seems to be pretty "successful".

(Not a real judgment on your school ofc :p:)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2119
Original post by cpdavis
Wow she sounds like a bitch! When you get her A*A*A*, just shove it in her face and say "suck on that!!!" :tongue:

Yeah... its just a real shame that I probably did fail my exams... :s-smilie:

Ah well.. DEFO avoiding her on results day...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending