The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2660
Original post by Bella Occhi
Happy belated birthday! :biggrin:

thanks :biggrin: got a bit pissed first time ever and defo cannot wait for uni now. Lol
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by Teh User
Boooo MacBook Pro. Still, I'll be the same apart from if I get in I'll have a huge grin on my face for about a month, my face will probably end up stuck like that permanently.

Thing is I wouldn't buy it out of my own pocket, my uncle has promised it me if I get in so I just went for the most expensive one :tongue:
Seriously man I'll be so happy! It's also because I put in so much effort this year after basically flopping my first year so I basically did AS and A2 in one year.
BRICKING IT!

Original post by FloRaRa
Dude, don't order it until you get to Leeds. If you buy it online whilst connected to the uni's internet you get a student discount, like 10% I think. Also a load of money towards apps, I think it was $100 so like £69 or something. Naht sure though on the exacts.

But just wait until you are a student, save the mons!

Ah don't worry I thought of that - my uncle said he was getting it for me so I don't mind much. He has a business aswell which means he gets a 17.5% discount (no VAT) and that works out cheaper. Thanks anyway :smile:
Right a few tips for moving in...

Firstly the uni might stagger people coming, I think they did that a few years ago, not sure if they do it every year - ie give people a suggested time to come, because otherwise the traffic on Saturday especially is terrible.

If you are going to live at one of the Headingley based halls (or Bodington) then look for a route which means you approach Headingley from the north, not from the city centre. Everybody follows the signs to Leeds which takes them to the city centre where traffic is bad anyway....expect gridlock on move in day. If you can approach from the north the route might look more long winded but it could save you time if you can cut out the centre.

Think carefully about what you want to do regarding when your parents leave...some peoples parents stay for a while to help them settle in, ie help them move their stuff then go and take them for a meal and do some shopping for them. This is all fair enough, the only problem might be if you've arranged to do that and then when you move into your hall there's someone fit whose going to be living with you and you want to start chatting to them and having drinks straight away...you might want to shift the parents out of there rather than looking less than cool by having them hang around and embarrass you. On the other hand if your parents drop your stuff off and then go, and you're in an empty flat, then you might feel a bit lonely and nervous about the situation.

Bringing a few drinks down can help break the ice but I wouldn't go overboard, some people are not big drinkers and it is intimidating. I still laugh at when I got to my flat, two girls were there who were quite quiet and had already told me they were 'total lightweights' and not big drinkers, then the other lad appears with a mini-keg of Boddingtons and goes "evening", and his beer bellied Dad then followed him with about 64 cans of Stella, "so where are we gonna put this then?". He actually wasn't that bad - had just brought a large stock to keep him going, but I think it did scare the girls given that I'd just been telling them not everybody would be wanting to get trashed all the time, when he turned in with all of that.

Don't expect to be 'going out' on the first night or even the Sunday night, most people just want to stay in their flats and meet their new flatmates and the people in nearby flats, even if people talk about going out the time usually goes so quick talking to people that you end up not going. All the going out starts on Monday of Freshers Week.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Right a few tips for moving in...

Firstly the uni might stagger people coming, I think they did that a few years ago, not sure if they do it every year - ie give people a suggested time to come, because otherwise the traffic on Saturday especially is terrible.

If you are going to live at one of the Headingley based halls (or Bodington) then look for a route which means you approach Headingley from the north, not from the city centre. Everybody follows the signs to Leeds which takes them to the city centre where traffic is bad anyway....expect gridlock on move in day. If you can approach from the north the route might look more long winded but it could save you time if you can cut out the centre.

Think carefully about what you want to do regarding when your parents leave...some peoples parents stay for a while to help them settle in, ie help them move their stuff then go and take them for a meal and do some shopping for them. This is all fair enough, the only problem might be if you've arranged to do that and then when you move into your hall there's someone fit whose going to be living with you and you want to start chatting to them and having drinks straight away...you might want to shift the parents out of there rather than looking less than cool by having them hang around and embarrass you. On the other hand if your parents drop your stuff off and then go, and you're in an empty flat, then you might feel a bit lonely and nervous about the situation.

Bringing a few drinks down can help break the ice but I wouldn't go overboard, some people are not big drinkers and it is intimidating. I still laugh at when I got to my flat, two girls were there who were quite quiet and had already told me they were 'total lightweights' and not big drinkers, then the other lad appears with a mini-keg of Boddingtons and goes "evening", and his beer bellied Dad then followed him with about 64 cans of Stella, "so where are we gonna put this then?". He actually wasn't that bad - had just brought a large stock to keep him going, but I think it did scare the girls given that I'd just been telling them not everybody would be wanting to get trashed all the time, when he turned in with all of that.

Don't expect to be 'going out' on the first night or even the Sunday night, most people just want to stay in their flats and meet their new flatmates and the people in nearby flats, even if people talk about going out the time usually goes so quick talking to people that you end up not going. All the going out starts on Monday of Freshers Week.

Thanks for the heads up on the traffic :smile: Hopefully I won't have to go too far into the centre since I'm at Lupton but I'll tell my stepdad the north route is the way to go!
Reply 2664
Original post by mspiva1
Is there anyway I can find out who my flatmates will be? I'm in Henry Price F1.0

Hey Im in Henry Price too
but in D block

you can find them here : http://www.facebook.com/pages/Henry-Price-Flat-Mate-Finder/253072064704444

but some of them might be conditional so you probably wont find them until after results day :smile:
Original post by Muffinz
Thanks for the heads up on the traffic :smile: Hopefully I won't have to go too far into the centre since I'm at Lupton but I'll tell my stepdad the north route is the way to go!

Yes, follow the M1 to Junction 46 with the A63, and then follow it right around the edge of the city continuing onto the A6120 until you reach the A61 or A660. That avoids the entire centre of Leeds. I did the wrong thing of driving into Leeds from the south when I dropped some friends off last year and hit the very centre and lots of traffic. In comparison when I went for my interview, I went in from the North and it was miles quicker.
Yes, follow the M1 to Junction 46 with the A63, and then follow it right around the edge of the city continuing onto the A6120 until you reach the A61 or A660. That avoids the entire centre of Leeds. I did the wrong thing of driving into Leeds from the south when I dropped some friends off last year and hit the very centre and lots of traffic. In comparison when I went for my interview, I went in from the North and it was miles quicker.

We had a nightmare when we went to the open day as we somehow managed to get stuck on the ringroad and missed the turning and got lost and eugh... :P
Original post by Muffinz
We had a nightmare when we went to the open day as we somehow managed to get stuck on the ringroad and missed the turning and got lost and eugh... :P

The inner ring road of Leeds is horrible, and the motorway that goes into the centre and spits you out at a really busy part of the town with a red light camera made me want to tear my hair out. :/ I'm actually hoping to be able to take my car to Leeds on the occasional week if I get accomodation with parking spaces as it's a better base for heading south where some relatives live, but Leeds is a nightmare to drive around in the first place sometimes.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2668
How's this for ****ing coincidence?
I found a dude who's in my flat on flatmate finder, on his profile it says he went to the same college as the guy that i'd consider my best friend, i asked my friend if he knew him and apparently they also went to the same high school too and we're pretty similar. Just the 3 girls to go :wink:
Reply 2669
The inner ring road of Leeds is horrible, and the motorway that goes into the centre and spits you out at a really busy part of the town with a red light camera made me want to tear my hair out. :/ I'm actually hoping to be able to take my car to Leeds on the occasional week if I get accomodation with parking spaces as it's a better base for heading south where some relatives live, but Leeds is a nightmare to drive around in the first place sometimes.

When I drove up to leeds the last time, it was during rush hour. I have never got so frustrated driving than I have around them stupid ring roads!!
Hate them Hate them and hate them some more. AND they have speed cameras in the most sneaky places it's unreal!

Original post by dmz
How's this for ****ing coincidence?
I found a dude who's in my flat on flatmate finder, on his profile it says he went to the same college as the guy that i'd consider my best friend, i asked my friend if he knew him and apparently they also went to the same high school too and we're pretty similar. Just the 3 girls to go :wink:

Thats actually rather freaky......:K:
Glad you liked my post for the flat mate finders. :tongue:
Reply 2670
Original post by Lovin
When I drove up to leeds the last time, it was during rush hour. I have never got so frustrated driving than I have around them stupid ring roads!!
Hate them Hate them and hate them some more. AND they have speed cameras in the most sneaky places it's unreal!

Thats actually rather freaky......:K:
Glad you liked my post for the flat mate finders. :tongue:

yer, thanks for the rep too :smile: owe you a drink :wink:
Reply 2671
Original post by dmz
yer, thanks for the rep too :smile: owe you a drink :wink:

Shall hold you to that! lol. :biggrin: no really........:wink:

Oh and your welcome for the rep. :smile:
Reply 2672
Original post by Lovin
Shall hold you to that! lol. :biggrin: no really........:wink:

Oh and your welcome for the rep. :smile:

Haha, i'm Tannery B Block ,....just saying, lol

:smile: gave you one back
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2673
Original post by dmz
Haha, i'm Tannery B Block 102B,....just saying, lol

:smile: gave you one back

Aww cheers hun :smile: Lol, im sure our paths will cross one day :smile: lol freshers week is guna be soooo busy though. So much stuff i wanna do but so little time. Lol a lot of sleepless nights ahead me thinks :biggrin:
Original post by Lovin
Thank you :smile:
Yeh I really want to work in either animal conservation or animal rehabilitation. I wanna work all over the world and the one place I really wanna go to is south Africa.
Really wanna make a difference to endangered species. So as I said better late than never.
22 and going into university. But I'm sure there are lots of people who go to university later in life. :colondollar:

Thought I would say hi as you seem to want to do pretty much the exact same thing as me in life :smile: I also am hoping to eventually work in animal conservation/rehabilitation, want to travel and also want to visit South Africa. Weird...

Shame we're not doing the same degree!
Reply 2675
Original post by Lovin
Aww cheers hun :smile: Lol, im sure our paths will cross one day :smile: lol freshers week is guna be soooo busy though. So much stuff i wanna do but so little time. Lol a lot of sleepless nights ahead me thinks :biggrin:

Haha should do
I know right? Just excited about meeting new people, no parents on my back and alcohol!
I love the nocturnal life anyway :smile:
Reply 2676
Original post by rachelll=)
Thought I would say hi as you seem to want to do pretty much the exact same thing as me in life :smile: I also am hoping to eventually work in animal conservation/rehabilitation, want to travel and also want to visit South Africa. Weird...

Shame we're not doing the same degree!

Which degree are you doing? I'm doing the interdisciplinary science for one year then after that I go on to do zoology. :smile: Nice to meet you btw. :smile:
Reply 2677
Original post by dmz
Haha should do
I know right? Just excited about meeting new people, no parents on my back and alcohol!
I love the nocturnal life anyway :smile:

Lol. I'm actually an insomniac so I don't sleep much anyway ha ha. Although alcohol makes me kinda drowsy.....maybe thats the cure to insomnia!! More alcohol!!!
Original post by Lovin
Which degree are you doing? I'm doing the interdisciplinary science for one year then after that I go on to do zoology. :smile: Nice to meet you btw. :smile:

I'm going straight into zoology :smile: Although I'm thinking about doing a year abroad, so we may end up together in the last year. Although that's a long way off...

And nice to meet you too :smile:
Reply 2679
Original post by rachelll=)
I'm going straight into zoology :smile: Although I'm thinking about doing a year abroad, so we may end up together in the last year. Although that's a long way off...

And nice to meet you too :smile:

That's awesome hun :smile:

I was thinking about a year abroad although wasnt too sure how to go about it. Either industry placement or an actual study year abroad. I know Leeds have that erasmus thing going on. But i'm not too sure if it's for specific things or not.
We may indeed end up in the same yr :smile:
I just cant wait to do the zoology degree. Couldnt believe I found a uni that allows you to go to Africa in your third yr and the meds in the 2nd.
:biggrin: :biggrin:

Latest