The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EbonyJane
Has/Does anyone studied at lancaster, can you give me your opinion pros cons etc ? Im a bit worried about it being a new course and only having 50 places but like everything else so im a bit stuck as to what to do now :s-smilie:

You aren't going to get many decent responces in this thread since you're talking to medical applicants, not students (and stalkers like me :shh:)

I'd suggest creating a thread directed towards Lancaster students in the Medical Schools subforum (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=537)

If you need any help doing so then let me know on here or via PM :smile:
Reply 6381
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Glasgow will sometimes accept AAABB if you get a high UKCAT score.

Thank you!!
Original post by calxoxox
Hi, I was looking for some advice

I've had my heart set on medicine for a while now and was on track to get top grades.. However, after a veeery rough year (which my teachers assume will class as 'extenuating circumstances') I unfortunately only achieved AAA in bio/chem/physics and BB in maths/english.

After doing a tonne of research, work experience and volunteering, I know that this is the career path I want to follow but I feel as though the family problems I've had in the last year have blown my chances.

Do you think that there is anyway that I could expect an offer for medicine with AAABB? (I know that Dundee has min.AAABB req. Also, I am signed up to a programme through Edin uni which CAN allow for AAABB.. yet I can't see that happening)

I would be more than happy to apply to an English uni, but so far have found that most would only consider AH results.

ANY advice and information that people could give me would be amazing!!!!

I would really try to get the best UKCAT score possible. What is the programme at edinburgh uni?
Aberdeen Uni would also consider you, but you would have to take a higher in 6th along with advanced highers.
I would just try your best to get as much volunteering as possible and write an awesome personal statement! Hopefully that should get you an interview.
Good Luck!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6383
Original post by flapurwings
I would really try to get the best UKCAT score possible. What is the programme at edinburgh uni?
Aberdeen Uni would also consider you, but you would have to take a higher in 6th along with advanced highers.
I would just try your best to get as much volunteering as possible and write an awesome personal statement! Hopefully that should get you an interview.
Good Luck!

Thank you, I didn't know that about Aberdeen :smile:
I'm signed up to 'Pathways to the Professions'.. its a widening participation programme run by the uni in the Lothians for schools with lower rates of higher education entrants/parents haven't gone to uni etc.

Yeah I'm hoping that I get a brill UKCAT and try to perfect my p/s.

Thanks again!! :biggrin:
Reply 6384
Too early to make individual university applicant threads?
Reply 6385
Original post by Braddd

Nope. Just go here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=537

If you don't see your university listed there, just create a new thread.
Just thought I'd look at the uni threads...

now I feel sick with worry!!

Someone said they weren't going to apply for Bristol because they only had 6A*s at GCSE, I have that (and another 4 A's)... have I no hope?

:frown:
Reply 6387
Original post by Loulibelle
Just thought I'd look at the uni threads...

now I feel sick with worry!!

Someone said they weren't going to apply for Bristol because they only had 6A*s at GCSE, I have that (and another 4 A's)... have I no hope?

:frown:

Worrywart. :tongue: Bristol only requires 5 As at GCSE so you're more than good enough (GCSE-wise)
Original post by Braddd

Nope, though if you create all of them I'll get annoyed at you :tongue:
Reply 6389
Original post by Penguinsaysquack

Don't give me ideas... :eek:
So I just did the mock in the 600Q book and got a 685.75 average.... however, when I equated the same score to the Kaplan mark scheme I got a 757.5 average! :biggrin:

I would be happy with either, but it seems crazy that there's such a discrepancy between mark schemes!!! :eek:

Obviously, given the circumstances I'm siding with Kaplan :wink:

(ps, got 900 for DA *does the crazy success celebratory dance) :biggrin:
Reply 6391

Okay, I'm gonna create every single one haha... Nah, I'm gonna make ones for Aberdeen and Dundee seeing as they are the only unis I know I'm applying to.
Reply 6392
Hi, a quick question that I would really appreciate being answered.

I am currently a 5th year student studying in Scotland.

I have recently received my sqa results-

3 Higher A (Physics, Chemistry, Biology)
1 Higher B (English)
1 Advanced Higher A (Mathematics)
1 A level B (Chinese) (taken in 3rd year)

I have also passed the piano grade 6 test and did all the necessary volunteering and work experience in hospital. I am considering applying to universities in Scotland next year to study medicine. I have not yet taken the UKCAT test.

Could you please be tell me the likelihood of a Scottish university giving me an interview. That would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you.

@besakt: if you do then I'll just steal them from you :tongue:

@braddd: ok, fair enough if they haven't been made already. If you do make them then could you post links on here and I'll add them to the quick find post to make them official :yep:
I created threads for Edinburgh and Glasgow :smile:
Original post by ChangedMyMind
I created threads for Edinburgh and Glasgow :smile:

Links added :yy:
Links added :yy:

Thank you :smile:
Reply 6397
ukcat in a few months, going to prepare, i know it's late but i should be ok hopefully

hows everyone elses preparation?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Sparkzz
ukcat in a few months, gna prepare, i knw its late bt i shud be ok hopefully

hws every1 elses preperation?

When are you sitting?

I do a couple of hours everyday and its definitely paying off. At the start i found AR a nightmare but now I spot the patterns fairly quickly. For me I had to learn a system for finding a pattern, although sometimes you can spot them visually (is there more black or white for example). Some people however can just spot them!

The rest I find ok - DA is probably my best. I find it easiest just to literally read the code and then try and find the closest match. VR can still cause me trouble - normally its the distinction between Can't Tell and False that throws me!

When are you sitting?

I do a couple of hours everyday and its definitely paying off. At the start i found AR a nightmare but now I spot the patterns fairly quickly. For me I had to learn a system for finding a pattern, although sometimes you can spot them visually (is there more black or white for example). Some people however can just spot them!

The rest I find ok - DA is probably my best. I find it easiest just to literally read the code and then try and find the closest match. VR can still cause me trouble - normally its the distinction between Can't Tell and False that throws me!

Can I ask what you do for a few hours a day?! :smile:

I'm doing all the questions and mocks in 3 books plus corrections...

So what else is there we can do?! :eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending