The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kebark
I think you can get 2.3.4 (think it was released in Poland) your best just upgrading the firmware (BUKG2 I think is the newest from Vodafone)and it should be noticeably cooler

But how do I do this? There is apparently no software update from Samsung itself.
Reply 5661
Original post by F_shakeey
But how do I do this? There is apparently no software update from Samsung itself.

Need to install the Polish version,...not sure how it's done
Original post by Kebark
Need to install the Polish version,...not sure how it's done

Just out of curiosity why does Poland have t but we don't?
Reply 5663
Hi guys. I ve just cam back.from.abroad, put mu uk sim.in my phone and my 3G isnt working

Can u help ?
Thank you
This might be a realy basic q, do u have to unlock ur phone to root it? Secondly is it safe? Also does it realy improve the battery life (cyanogenmod) on htc desire?

Thanks.
Original post by diracdeltafunc
This might be a realy basic q, do u have to unlock ur phone to root it? Secondly is it safe? Also does it realy improve the battery life (cyanogenmod) on htc desire?

Thanks.

Depends on the phone and what version of the software you have on it.
Possibly - if you used a conservative CPU governor, then yes.

No you don't have to unlock (but you can now do this for free anyway). Yes it is very safe (obviously there is some risk if you pull the battery / power whilst doing it or something but you'd have to be exceedingly unlucky to brick your phone with the current methods). And yes it can improve battery life (if you use SetCPU to govern the processor clock speed, for instance). :smile:
Original post by mikeyd85
Depends on the phone and what version of the software you have on it.
Possibly - if you used a conservative CPU governor, then yes.

Original post by alex_hk90
No you don't have to unlock (but you can now do this for free anyway). Yes it is very safe (obviously there is some risk if you pull the battery / power whilst doing it or something but you'd have to be exceedingly unlucky to brick your phone with the current methods). And yes it can improve battery life (if you use SetCPU to govern the processor clock speed, for instance). :smile:

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Now i am an absolute android n00b with htc desire running android 2.2 (Again srry for the basic q's), is there like a n00b friendly rooting guide u guys would recommend plz?

Thanks.
Reply 5668
Hello :smile:
I'm thinking of getting the HTC Mozart... i really know nothing about phones, i just got this recommended to me.
Thoughts and better recomendations would be appreciated :biggrin:
(I currently have an IPhone and i hate it btw :P)
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Now i am an absolute android n00b with htc desire running android 2.2 (Again srry for the basic q's), is there like a n00b friendly rooting guide u guys would recommend plz?

I'm pretty sure there's a few over in the xda-devs Desire Dev forum - I can see one called "Noob Proof Everything Desire Guide" that is probably what you're looking for. :smile:
Original post by Chlobobo
I'm thinking of getting the HTC Mozart... i really know nothing about phones, i just got this recommended to me.

That's a Windows Phone 7 phone.

that's about all I can say for it!
Reply 5671
anyone here using a milestone 2 ?!
Original post by Chlobobo

It's WP7, so best to go to the thread on that OS. When mango comes out WP7 should satisfy most people's needs. But considering Nokia will be releasing their WP7 phones in the coming months, i'd wait until then.

Now back to Android...
Reply 5673
Hey guys, im looking to buy an android phone..

Whats the best android phone for approx. £250...give or take a tenner or so?

Reply 5674
Original post by Zakir
Hey guys, im looking to buy an android phone..

Whats the best android phone for approx. £250...give or take a tenner or so?

on contract ? or payG ?
HTC Desire HD vs Incredible S vs Sensation?
Help?

I'm looking for one with (semi) decent battery life. I have no idea about rooting, etc (don't even know what rooting means), so don't want to be messing around too much.

I've tried comparing them, but I just end up getting confused.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5676
Btw, on pay as you go..

Sorry, forgot to mention it...
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];33250350']HTC Desire HD vs Incredible S vs Sensation?
Help?

I'm looking for one with (semi) decent battery life. I have no idea about rooting, etc (don't even know what rooting means), so don't want to be messing around too much.

I've tried comparing them, but I just end up getting confused.

Sensation > Incredible S > Desire HD for power. Couldn't say for battery life.
Reply 5678
Desire HD battery life is ****ty! that i know of but never tried sensation check some reviews online they help alot!
Original post by alex_hk90
I'm pretty sure there's a few over in the xda-devs Desire Dev forum - I can see one called "Noob Proof Everything Desire Guide" that is probably what you're looking for. :smile:

Thanks for that link mate! I'm in the process of rooting my desire. Basically on the website it says that i have to download the stock rom of the desire. I'm running 32.48.00.32u_5.10.05.30 (baseband version) which is on orange. I couldnt find that rom on this website (as the guy says ) :
http://shipped-roms.com/index.php?category=android&model=Desire

Am i missing something?

Thanks.