The Student Room Group

Year Abroad 2011/2012 chat thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CPH<3
130 without anything else, but you can't get it without also buying an extra deal like unlimited texting or something, absolutely sucks :frown:

Normally I live in Frederiksberg which is very close to CBS, but I've rented out my apartment so at the moment I live at home 20 minutes outside of Copenhagen :P It's fine, busses and trains go straight to the centre of Copenhagen, so I'll survive since it's not for too long.

The prices are some of the cheaper ones you'll find if you want food that tastes good, and with half price is't just even cheaper. It's a good place to start if you're planning on going out later since it's so central, there are always loads of people on those days though, so be prepared to wait for 20 minutes or something for a table :smile:

Awesome; I will put that place in my Denmark blog so I won't forget it :colone: Thanks!

I honestly think you're going to find the UK so cheap!

Also, weird question: how should I greet Danes? 'Hej' and a smile? Hand shake? I'm guessing you guys don't go in for hugs and kisses normally?
Reply 61
Original post by >Anna<
Awesome; I will put that place in my Denmark blog so I won't forget it :colone: Thanks!

I honestly think you're going to find the UK so cheap!

Also, weird question: how should I greet Danes? 'Hej' and a smile? Hand shake? I'm guessing you guys don't go in for hugs and kisses normally?

Can't wait to actually be able to afford a drink when I go out :P No more crazy pre-drinking, wooop!

Hahahaha, not a weird question :P I went to Belgium and apparently they ALL hug and kiss there, I was so confused! A 'hej' and a smile will do unless you're friends with someone, in which case hugs are fine, we never do the cheek-kiss thing though, ever! Handshakes are for more formal settings (like if you have any oral exams you should give a handshake to the examiners) or with older people... though I don't know why you'd hang out with old people xD
Original post by CPH<3
Can't wait to actually be able to afford a drink when I go out :P No more crazy pre-drinking, wooop!

Hahahaha, not a weird question :P I went to Belgium and apparently they ALL hug and kiss there, I was so confused! A 'hej' and a smile will do unless you're friends with someone, in which case hugs are fine, we never do the cheek-kiss thing though, ever! Handshakes are for more formal settings (like if you have any oral exams you should give a handshake to the examiners) or with older people... though I don't know why you'd hang out with old people xD

Yeeah...looks like I'll have to take to pre-drinking a major way! Is alcohol a lot cheaper in supermarkets and shops?

Ahh, ok. Good to know! I can just imagine a horrified expression as I go in for a hug and kiss :lol:
anyone going to Belgium on Erasmus?
Original post by CPH<3
Sounds like most places have wellies, that’s great, should be able to find something then :smile:

I LOVE IKEA! :P I will definitely be going! And I had basically zero choice in accom.. I could only choose between catered/self-catered and en-suite/shared bathroom. Since I’m only there for a semester they’re just gonna throw me in with the rest of the exchange students only there for a semester. I put self-catered + en-suite as number one though, like everyone else :wink: I saw people are starting to get their accommodation now, so I’m excitedly awaiting mine. The one-semester students who have their letter have gotten Crescent Flats or Lawrencefield, so odds are I’ll end up one of those places :P Are they any good?

Anywhere in Endcliffe is good, it's widely regarded as the most sociable accomodation (although I'm sure Ranmoor/City are fine too). Crescent and Lawrencefield are both a bit on their own (this doesn't really matter - you'll obs be with other people and your friends will make the effort lol) but right next to the Edge - v. convenient. And being half way up the ridiculously huge hill can only be a good thing!
Good luck guys... I did an ERASMUS year from 08-09 and it was the best, most random year of my life to date. Can't believe it was 3 years ago that I was thinking about leaving now! Hope you all have a great time too :smile:
Reply 66
Original post by kat91s
Hi, I am also doing a year abroad next year. I am going to Kanazawa University in Japan. Is anyone else really nervous or worried about being away from home?!

I'm going to Japan too! But Keio University. Please tell me you don't speak Japanese :P When are you going?
Reply 67
Original post by johannski
I'm going to Japan too! But Keio University. Please tell me you don't speak Japanese :P When are you going?

Actually I do speak Japanese - it's part of my Japanese Studies course! I'm going on 2nd October. How about you? Keio is Tokyo, right?
Reply 68
Original post by >Anna<
Hi everyone,

I thought I'd make a thread to see who else will be doing an Erasmus exchange/year abroad during the next academic year (2011-2013). This can be a place where we discuss where we're going, how we're preparing to go and everything else related to the year abroad, whether you're ingoing or outgoing from the UK.

I'm currently studying European Legal Studies (Law, basically) at the University of Kent. I found out today that I've been given a place at the University of Copenhagen/Københavns Universitet. I'd been hoping for a place at the University of Vienna, but I'm getting over the initial disappointment and getting excited already!

I look forward to chatting with you :h:

Hey, I'm going to be going to the University of Copenhagen too! only just seen this thread.

Will be flying out a week on friday. When are you setting off? are you looking forward to it? I can't wait though I'm pretty nervous at the same time.
Reply 69
Original post by kat91s
Actually I do speak Japanese - it's part of my Japanese Studies course! I'm going on 2nd October. How about you? Keio is Tokyo, right?

Oh no :P I started learning literally a month ago! So very very beginner haha.

Yep, Tokyo, going out 6 September. Whereabouts is Kanazawa located? Or is that the city as well? I'm clueless hah!
Reply 70
Original post by johannski
Oh no :P I started learning literally a month ago! So very very beginner haha.

Yep, Tokyo, going out 6 September. Whereabouts is Kanazawa located? Or is that the city as well? I'm clueless hah!

Don't worry, you'll learn quickly when you're surrounded by Japanese. :smile:

Kanazawa is in Ishikawa Prefecture, on the coast at the base of the Noto peninsula. It's fairly central, north of Kansai, a bit in the sticks as it's not on the shinkansen line and a few hours from any major cities!
my friend touched down in kansas last night. he said he woke up and thought he was in the uk, got really confused haha!
Reply 72
Hi,

I'm studying Modern Languages (French and Spanish) and in two weeks' time, I'll be going on my Year Abroad. I am going to Lyon for the first term and Valencia for the second term.

I'm starting to get pretty nervous. I can be quite shy and it takes a while for me to trust people and open up, I think the thing that worries me the most is making new friends and just being in a different country.

My grandad passed away in January and I've been having a difficult time dealing with the grief. He was 91 years' old and at the end, he was just really ill all the time and had started getting dementia. I was really close to him and it was upsetting for all my family to see him so ill. Although I am feeling better, I do have good and bad days and I miss him everyday. For me, I still find it really strange being at home. I'm just used to his presence, it feels weird without him around.

I worry sometimes about how I am going to cope with the grief while I am away from home. I really want to make the most of this experience abroad, but I'm just really nervous right now! I'm quite a pessimistic person anyway and I always prepare myself to think the worst, but I just want to be positive now.

Any advice / tips from anyone would be appreciated. Thank you :smile:
Reply 73
Hi,

I'm studying Modern Languages (French and Spanish) and in two weeks' time, I'll be going on my Year Abroad. I am going to Lyon for the first term and Valencia for the second term.

I'm starting to get pretty nervous. I can be quite shy and it takes a while for me to trust people and open up, I think the thing that worries me the most is making new friends and just being in a different country.

My grandad passed away in January and I've been having a difficult time dealing with the grief. He was 91 years' old and at the end, he was just really ill all the time and had started getting dementia. I was really close to him and it was upsetting for all my family to see him so ill. Although I am feeling better, I do have good and bad days and I miss him everyday. For me, I still find it really strange being at home. I'm just used to his presence, it feels weird without him around.

I worry sometimes about how I am going to cope with the grief while I am away from home. I really want to make the most of this experience abroad, but I'm just really nervous right now! I'm quite a pessimistic person anyway and I always prepare myself to think the worst, but I just want to be positive now.

Any advice / tips from anyone would be appreciated. Thank you :smile:
Original post by shorrocks
Hey, I'm going to be going to the University of Copenhagen too! only just seen this thread.

Will be flying out a week on friday. When are you setting off? are you looking forward to it? I can't wait though I'm pretty nervous at the same time.

I've actually been out here for over a week already! I came out on the 2nd, although it feels like so much longer ago. I'm absolutely loving it; I've met some awesome people from all over the world (as I'm doing the pre-semester language course) and just generally having a good time. Don't be nervous, because you will LOVE it! And if you're worried about the language, don't be; it's unbelievably easy to get around with no knowledge of Danish, because the vast majority of Danes speak perfect English (I seriously believe they speak it better than a lot of native speakers).
If you have any questions about arriving, the city etc then feel free to ask me!
Oh, and if you haven't sent the picture in for your ID card then do it ASAP because it does take a while for them to make your ID kort (I think they said they have something like 10,000) new students starting in September). Also bring some passport photos with you because they're bloody expensive here (100DKK) and you will need one for your residence permit application and you'll need more if you plan to get month passes for public transport.
Do you know where you'll be living? And what will you be studying out here? Are you staying for a semester or the whole year? (sorry about all the questions!)

Original post by georgegabriel
my friend touched down in kansas last night. he said he woke up and thought he was in the uk, got really confused haha!

Haha, I had that too! I woke up and though 'Why don't I recognise this? Where the HELL am I?!?!'

Original post by oxymoronic
Good luck guys... I did an ERASMUS year from 08-09 and it was the best, most random year of my life to date. Can't believe it was 3 years ago that I was thinking about leaving now! Hope you all have a great time too :smile:

Thanks! :biggrin: Any tips for making the mot of it? My first week's already been insane and random (I encountered a Danish bachelor party during my first weekened...cue first kiss from a Danish man :p:) but I want to make sure I don't look back and think 'I wish I'd done that'.

Original post by CPH<3

I made the mistake of asking for a cider (Somersby - apparently it's what the local women drink?) when I was out last friday and it cost 55DKK! I couldn't believe it :p:
Reply 75
Hey guys, leaving for an ERASMUS year in France on 1st Sep - nice to meet you all (my year abroad seems extremely tame and close to home compared to y'all!)
Reply 76
Original post by >Anna<
I've actually been out here for over a week already! I came out on the 2nd, although it feels like so much longer ago. I'm absolutely loving it; I've met some awesome people from all over the world (as I'm doing the pre-semester language course) and just generally having a good time. Don't be nervous, because you will LOVE it! And if you're worried about the language, don't be; it's unbelievably easy to get around with no knowledge of Danish, because the vast majority of Danes speak perfect English (I seriously believe they speak it better than a lot of native speakers).
If you have any questions about arriving, the city etc then feel free to ask me!
Oh, and if you haven't sent the picture in for your ID card then do it ASAP because it does take a while for them to make your ID kort (I think they said they have something like 10,000) new students starting in September). Also bring some passport photos with you because they're bloody expensive here (100DKK) and you will need one for your residence permit application and you'll need more if you plan to get month passes for public transport.
Do you know where you'll be living? And what will you be studying out here? Are you staying for a semester or the whole year? (sorry about all the questions!)

Yeah, I know I'll love it, its whats keeping me going ha. Its just nerves cos its the unknown, and that I'm not there yet I think.

I've sent the picture of for my id card, I'm well prepared :smile: I should be out there doing the language course with you, but had to pull out as I didn't have everything sorted back here, and needed to earn some more cash, so gutted that I couldn't do it though, would have been helpful in meeting new people. I've got 4 passport photos already, but I'll get some more just in case, cheers for the tip!

Well, I didn't get given accom from the uni, so had to find it myself, which was a pain, but after sending 30+ emails I got a reply from someone and am renting a room in there flat, its in Fiskedamsgade or something, nearish the centre. It should be fine, but it just seems so uncertain since I can't meet the guy yet. Its only till December as well, which I dont mind, as I want to get a shared flat with other students for the second part! I'll be living in a hostel for the first week or so as well, as the contract doesn't start till September, that should be fun ha, hopefully I'll be able to find a couch to crash on for a few days when I'm there tho, save money. I'm staying for the whole year as well, and I'll be taking Maths with possibly some Economics, and plan on taking a fair few Danish culture modules as well :biggrin:

No worries about all the questions! Its good to have someone in the same situation to chat to. Same to you now, where are you staying? what course? and how long for? :P

I made the mistake of asking for a cider (Somersby - apparently it's what the local women drink?) when I was out last friday and it cost 55DKK! I couldn't believe it :p:

bloody 'ell, I know its going to be more expensive out there but thats a shocker ha. How much would you say you've spent on average on any nights out so far?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by shorrocks
Yeah, I know I'll love it, its whats keeping me going ha. Its just nerves cos its the unknown, and that I'm not there yet I think.

I've sent the picture of for my id card, I'm well prepared :smile: I should be out there doing the language course with you, but had to pull out as I didn't have everything sorted back here, and needed to earn some more cash, so gutted that I couldn't do it though, would have been helpful in meeting new people. I've got 4 passport photos already, but I'll get some more just in case, cheers for the tip!

Well, I didn't get given accom from the uni, so had to find it myself, which was a pain, but after sending 30+ emails I got a reply from someone and am renting a room in there flat, its in Fiskedamsgade or something, nearish the centre. It should be fine, but it just seems so uncertain since I can't meet the guy yet. Its only till December as well, which I dont mind, as I want to get a shared flat with other students for the second part! I'll be living in a hostel for the first week or so as well, as the contract doesn't start till September, that should be fun ha, hopefully I'll be able to find a couch to crash on for a few days when I'm there tho, save money. I'm staying for the whole year as well, and I'll be taking Maths with possibly some Economics, and plan on taking a fair few Danish culture modules as well :biggrin:

No worries about all the questions! Its good to have someone in the same situation to chat to. Same to you now, where are you staying? what course? and how long for? :P

bloody 'ell, I know its going to be more expensive out there but thats a shocker ha. How much would you say you've spent on average on any nights out so far?

Just looked up your street and it does look to be in a pretty good location! Do you know where you'll be studying?

The culture modules look so good! We had a lecture from the guy who coordinates them and he seems so cool too - kind of like a wacky granddad or something :p: I'm considering carrying on with the language but it's SO FREAKING DIFFICULT.

There are a lot of people in the same position as you; staying in hostels or temporary accommodation and looking for somewhere else. It seems that housing's a big issue here, but you shouldn't have problems once you're here (I don't think, anyway).

I'm living in Keops/Bispebjerg kollegiet...it was called Keops, then they renamed it, but all the locals seem to refer to it as Keops. It's right next to Bispebjerg train station, if you want to look it up. And it's in the heart of the ghetto :cool: Someone got shot on my street last thursday! Although, apparently, the crime rate is very low here so that was very unusual... I do law, but all of the law courses in English are Masters level so I'm a little bit...apprehensive, I guess? And I'm out here for the whole year too :biggrin: :five: Most of the people I've met so far are only here for the semester!

Weirdly, there are loads of Americans and Aussies here...can't quite work out why.

Beer's substantially cheaper than cider. And it really depends when/where you go. There was a student night at this place called LA tequila bar on Tuesday....10 kroner tequila shots...my god! Doing my Danish homework after getting in possibly wasn't the best idea :p: (got to class half an hour late the next morning, the teacher had already worked out we'd all been out and just gave me a knowing nod haha).
Reply 78
Original post by >Anna<
Just looked up your street and it does look to be in a pretty good location! Do you know where you'll be studying?

The culture modules look so good! We had a lecture from the guy who coordinates them and he seems so cool too - kind of like a wacky granddad or something :p: I'm considering carrying on with the language but it's SO FREAKING DIFFICULT.

There are a lot of people in the same position as you; staying in hostels or temporary accommodation and looking for somewhere else. It seems that housing's a big issue here, but you shouldn't have problems once you're here (I don't think, anyway).

I'm living in Keops/Bispebjerg kollegiet...it was called Keops, then they renamed it, but all the locals seem to refer to it as Keops. It's right next to Bispebjerg train station, if you want to look it up. And it's in the heart of the ghetto :cool: Someone got shot on my street last thursday! Although, apparently, the crime rate is very low here so that was very unusual... I do law, but all of the law courses in English are Masters level so I'm a little bit...apprehensive, I guess? And I'm out here for the whole year too :biggrin: :five: Most of the people I've met so far are only here for the semester!

Weirdly, there are loads of Americans and Aussies here...can't quite work out why.

Beer's substantially cheaper than cider. And it really depends when/where you go. There was a student night at this place called LA tequila bar on Tuesday....10 kroner tequila shots...my god! Doing my Danish homework after getting in possibly wasn't the best idea :p: (got to class half an hour late the next morning, the teacher had already worked out we'd all been out and just gave me a knowing nod haha).

Um, not really, haven't really done much research into that or anything uni related, I really should, I've even got 2 guidebooks which I haven't even looked at, been to busy sorting out accomodation and stuff. Think I'll be in the North campus for maths, as thats where science's is I think, not sure about others.. what about you? and yeah I'm actually really looking forward to the culture modules weirdly enough, get to go on trips and everything don't we? and learn about vikings, excited ha. doesn't the language have like 9 vowels or something? crazy.

Yeah, as long is this one I've got now is real, should be no problem. First thing I'll be doing when I get there is meeting the guy to check everything. Just looked up yours and that isn't to bad in terms of location, could be a lot further out! someone getting shot days after you arrive also means it'll be.. eventfull to live there. Have you got a bike yet?

ah, that could be tough.. though I get the impression the uni's very flexible in terms of what international's take, so you could be able to take a fair few electives to make a bit easier on yourself, cos I'm guessing, like me, you've gone to Copenhagen to experiance a new city, not be locked in the library! and yeah staying for a years what its about, one semester is to short.

I'm guessing they wanted to do a year abroad europe, and can't speak another language either, so Copenhagen would have been a top choice. You met any other english people?

ah thats assuring, not really a cider drink anyway.. not really a tequila shotter either but for 10 krone I'd do it all night long ha. Everyone always goes on about how expensive it is, but I was always hopeing there'd be the cheaper student places, also good to hear the lectures are laid back there as well!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by >Anna<

Thanks! :biggrin: Any tips for making the mot of it? My first week's already been insane and random (I encountered a Danish bachelor party during my first weekened...cue first kiss from a Danish man :p:) but I want to make sure I don't look back and think 'I wish I'd done that'.

I'd say try to befriend actual Danish people, as this was something I really struggled with in Finland because we were in this incredibly international situation whereby the university placed all of the exchange students in a few accommodation blocks as the Finns apparently complain that there's too much partying. Which there is, but due to this and the fact that in my classes at uni there was a major divide between the ERASMUS crew and the home students, I didn't really get to know any local people at all. I know people from all over the world from my year abroad but quite literally I have no friends who are actually Finnish.

Its so easy to get caught up in the exchange bubble and whilst I don't regret any of my year abroad at all, I do sort of wish I'd got to know more local people but at the same time I have no idea how because I didn't really ever meet anyone who wasn't international!

Also, I'd say make the most of the social life. My year abroad was the first and only time in my life where my social life took complete priority over my academic work. The uni work I had to do was less challenging than I did in Scotland and because I was a native English speaker who went to a prestigious UK university, everyone just assumed I knew what I was talking about and gave me the highest grades in presentations on the basis of this fact.... which was a bit odd! Where I was uni finished in late March but we were living there until June, so the last few months were literally just going out, drinking and general fun... which was amazing. I really struggled when I came back home and spent the entire year working so much harder than everyone else to get my degree, but in the end I came out with a 2:i which I would have done without the year abroad, so I don't regret any of it.... but I would have done if I ended up with a 2:ii instead as it would have been a direct consequence of going away. But yeah, just enjoy it all :biggrin:

Also make sure you get to other places in Scandinavia.... the ESN network had really cheap ferry trips to Stockholm, the Baltic countries and Russia from Finland which were all wicked :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest