The Student Room Group

Average Oxbridge iq

Hey guys :smile:

I was just wondering if anyone had any idea what the average IQ for Oxbridge students is. I know IQ tests as measures of the much debated concept of intelligence are subject to flaw and scrutiny, however I'm curious and I've also been having this discussion with a friend, who seems to think getting into Oxbridge is more about subject love and academic record then it is about IQ.

Cheers :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
/thread

That's right. No response. Just /thread
Reply 2
Higher than mine ... :cry:
Who cares?

P.S. inb4 over 9000.
Reply 4
Original post by molthemoo
I've also been having this discussion with a friend, who seems to think getting into Oxbridge is more about subject love and academic record then it is about IQ.

Getting in to Oxbridge, like any other universities, is about demonstrating your competence in the subject you've applied for. Having a high IQ generally correlates with doing well academically but it's certainly not a specific consideration at any stage of the application process.
Reply 5
Hey guys :smile:

I was just wondering if anyone had any idea what the average IQ for Oxbridge students is. I know IQ tests as measures of the much debated concept of intelligence are subject to flaw and scrutiny, however I'm curious and I've also been having this discussion with a friend, who seems to think getting into Oxbridge is more about subject love and academic record then it is about IQ.

Cheers :smile:

Not Oxbridge, and not IQ tests specifically, but the SAT (something that is closely related to IQ tests and is used by so-called high-IQ societies like Mensa) actually correlates negatively with chance of getting a 2.1 at the UK's universities. Subject-specific aptitude is far more important!
Reply 6
Original post by BJack
Getting in to Oxbridge, like any other universities, is about demonstrating your competence in the subject you've applied for. Having a high IQ generally correlates with doing well academically but it's certainly not a specific consideration at any stage of the application process.

This is true. They do, however, take into account one's 'academic potential' but they use their own super-secret measurement for that :biggrin:.
@OP Why would anyone in the world know that answer. Do you think the majority of Oxbridge applicants apply to be part of mensa?
Reply 8
Your friend is right. If you have an IQ of 250, but display no passion for your subject, no university will let you in, let alone Oxbridge. Obviously the values will be higher than the national average, but IQ doesn't really mean anything.
Reply 9
Original post by hassi94
@OP Why would anyone in the world know that answer. Do you think the majority of Oxbridge applicants apply to be part of mensa?

In short it's to settle a dispute. It links back to the whole genius born/genius made thing, I suppose.
Original post by lukas1051
Your friend is right. If you have an IQ of 250, but display no passion for your subject, no university will let you in, let alone Oxbridge. Obviously the values will be higher than the national average, but IQ doesn't really mean anything.

I see your point but I think you've gone a bit far. An IQ of 250 would make them the smartest person in the world (by IQ, obviously) - Oxbridge would accept a mind like that and sculpt it if need be - and so would any other universities worth their salt.
Reply 11
In short it's to settle a dispute. It links back to the whole genius born/genius made thing, I suppose.

The intelligence measured by an IQ test is not the same kind that would necessarily mean you are Oxbridge material. It's certainly not a measure of 'genius'.
surely someone who asks such a question is not good enough for oxbridge, since iq is a load of balls!

Edit: just read the replies. Love how the OP hasn't got a straight reply yet :tongue: Stupid questions don't deserve an answer. :cool:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by blue_shift86
surely someone who asks such a question is not good enough for oxbridge, since iq is a load of balls!

Edit: just read the replies. Love how the OP hasn't got a straight reply yet :tongue: Stupid questions don't deserve an answer. :cool:

Well, regardless of whether you think it's a stupid question or not, there is no 'straight reply' to it other than 'Who knows?'. Unless Oxford and Cambridge start imposing compulsory IQ tests on their students at a specific point during their degree, (which they won't, because it would be an enormous waste of time and money) there's no way that question can be answered properly.:dontknow:
Original post by hobnob
Well, regardless of whether you think it's a stupid question or not, there is no 'straight reply' to it other than 'Who knows?'. Unless Oxford and Cambridge start imposing compulsory IQ tests on their students at a specific point during their degree, (which they won't, because it would be an enormous waste of time and money) there's no way that question can be answered properly.:dontknow:

my point is, despite supposedly giving the same result each time, IQ varies from day to day. Depends on factors like illness, hay fever, tiredness, not to mention the fact that the more you do the better u become!

So all these rich people from middle/upper class backgrounds get special iq test training and so they have higher iq's. If I had the same training i'd score highly in such tests too. So i think they are bull**** tbh. I don't even care to know the expense involved or whether it should be done or not, or know the iq even if it's value were calculated. It's just a very flawed measure of intelligence.
Reply 15
my point is, despite supposedly giving the same result each time, IQ varies from day to day. Depends on factors like illness, hay fever, tiredness, not to mention the fact that the more you do the better u become!

So all these rich people from middle/upper class backgrounds get special iq test training and so they have higher iq's. If I had the same training i'd score highly in such tests too. So i think they are bull**** tbh. I don't even care to know the expense involved or whether it should be done or not, or know the iq even if it's value were calculated. It's just a very flawed measure of intelligence.

Sure, I never claimed otherwise. But that doesn't even matter here, because universities don't actually make their students take IQ tests (and that's mainly because it would be a pointless waste of time and money).
Well, if the average is 100, I'd say Oxbridge's average IQ will be about 15-20 points higher than the average.

They're not superhuman. There will be students at Oxbridge with a lower than average IQ and students at Oxbridge with an IQ of over 135, but I'd say it'll average out at around 120.
Original post by hobnob
Sure, I never claimed otherwise. But that doesn't even matter here, because universities don't actually make their students take IQ tests (and that's mainly because it would be a pointless waste of time and money).

OP, i hope you are taking note :tongue:
Original post by ilickbatteries
Well, if the average is 100, I'd say Oxbridge's average IQ will be about 15-20 points higher than the average.

They're not superhuman. There will be students at Oxbridge with a lower than average IQ and students at Oxbridge with an IQ of over 135, but I'd say it'll average out at around 120.

oh also, if you are from eton, chances are you are more likely to get in with a lower iq :tongue: . Yes class does still have a bit role in determining if you get in or not in my opinion...but that's another debate :rolleyes:
oh also, if you are from eton, chances are you are more likely to get in with a lower iq :tongue: . Yes class does still have a bit role in determining if you get in or not in my opinion...but that's another debate :rolleyes:

I don't doubt that class does still play a role in Oxbridge admissions, be it direct or indirect. I imagine a very, very small amount of people get in with a little help from their friends, but I think the biggest effect that class has on Oxbridge admissions is the ability to afford private schooling or a house in a better catchment area, along with better parenting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending