The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

Essex Uni Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paddy__power
I don't care about hand writing but we should have those subjects yes. Education to start very very broad.

Losing breaks and lunches works much better than detentions. I set records for detentions lol.

Handwriting is a skill that's needed, what happens when technology fails.

Can you fix the education system when parents aren't willing to help? when you end up with children with very low verbal skills when they start school, or unable to speak english.

Rydens couldn't get people to miss breaks and lunches. they just walked out and as the teachers couldn't physically restrain them there wasn't anything to keep them in. Or 'it's against my human rights stopping from eating'

I never had a detention.. apart from year 4 when a left a bit of work at home.
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Original post by Bathwiggle
Handwriting is a skill that's needed, what happens when technology fails.

Not something that needs to be taught though IMO beyond the first couple of years.

Can you fix the education system when parents aren't willing to help? when you end up with children with very low verbal skills when they start school, or unable to speak english.

Depends what you mean by fix. Such people can still be educated, yes.

Rydens couldn't get people to miss breaks and lunches. they just walked out and as the teachers couldn't physically restrain them there wasn't anything to keep them in. Or 'it's against my human rights stopping from eating'

Then you expel them and send them to referral units.

I never had a detention.. apart from year 4 when a left a bit of work at home.

I've had hundreds. Not that I went to them. Many many internal exclusions, quite a few week/two week ones and a few expulsions.
Not something that needs to be taught though IMO beyond the first couple of years.

Depends what you mean by fix. Such people can still be educated, yes.

Then you expel them and send them to referral units.

I've had hundreds. Not that I went to them. Many many internal exclusions, quite a few week/two week ones and a few expulsions.

Having helped in SEN of rydens, the kids who at 16 who could read and write, it needs to be used or they seem to lose it.

They can be educated, but it shouldn't just be the responsibility of the teachers to do what parents should be doing

True

They tried to expel me. Once, but that was due to the little **** who'd been bullying me, and as soon as i said i was taking the evidence of assault and sexual harassment to the police the school decided that maybe they would just stick him on report, which did nothing. I loved my time at rydens.
Having helped in SEN of rydens, the kids who at 16 who could read and write, it needs to be used or they seem to lose it.

They can be educated, but it shouldn't just be the responsibility of the teachers to do what parents should be doing

True

They tried to expel me. Once, but that was due to the little **** who'd been bullying me, and as soon as i said i was taking the evidence of assault and sexual harassment to the police the school decided that maybe they would just stick him on report, which did nothing. I loved my time at rydens.

I'm not saying don't use it I'm saying don't teach it; repetition achieves maintenance.

Yes it should. We can want parents to help, and it great of they do but we have to work from a pre-set of having to provide comprehensive education independent of parental inclusion because many can't and many simply won't help.

To be honest very few people in the country will have worse a worse education record than me. Not that it is at all a good thing.
I'm not saying don't use it I'm saying don't teach it; repetition achieves maintenance.

Yes it should. We can want parents to help, and it great of they do but we have to work from a pre-set of having to provide comprehensive education independent of parental inclusion because many can't and many simply won't help.

To be honest very few people in the country will have worse a worse education record than me. Not that it is at all a good thing.

Note i'm talking about earlier education.

So parents shouldn't be responsible for ensuring that their children know their names, have a basic grasp of English (assuming they are English and that is the language spoken at home), can use a knife and fork and can dress themselves? (just from what my mother and other teachers have had to face)

The lack of parental support needs to be addressed though, as without the support of parents, the kids will develop the opinion that there is no point in education, and so won't try. It is very hard to change a mindset of someone who is told continuously at home that it doesn't matter what they do they won't learn anything as school is pointless, or that they are pointless.

But you're working on improving yourself. Compared to the lad who bullied me who lives in st johns on benefits. His view on life (and many of the school) was that the government could pay for him.
Note i'm talking about earlier education.

So parents shouldn't be responsible for ensuring that their children know their names, have a basic grasp of English (assuming they are English and that is the language spoken at home), can use a knife and fork and can dress themselves? (just from what my mother and other teachers have had to face)

Ideally yes, but if we work from that assumption then such issues become harder to deal with because there is no plan of action. It is all very well to say what they should do - I think parents should teach their children a lot more before they start school so they we can erase the first few years of school for many people but it is about managing this against expectations. We can't expect every parent to be a good one and if we say fine we won't help then the only people we are hurting are the children and thus the argument becomes abhorrent.

The lack of parental support needs to be addressed though, as without the support of parents, the kids will develop the opinion that there is no point in education, and so won't try. It is very hard to change a mindset of someone who is told continuously at home that it doesn't matter what they do they won't learn anything as school is pointless, or that they are pointless.

We have to pick our battles. Better to invest energy into what the state can control rather than what they can't. Yes that would be great if all parents are supportive but it will never happen and telling them they should be fixes nothing. It addresses a symptom and not the cause - the cause being the lack of opportunities for the parents.

But you're working on improving yourself. Compared to the lad who bullied me who lives in st johns on benefits. His view on life (and many of the school) was that the government could pay for him.

Not really, I still do **** all. Difference is as you get older nobody has to deal with the consequences as directly so they don't bother annoying you about it. Of course I have the added benefit of being born with a brain - many others are not as lucky. Metaphorically speaking, of course.
Ideally yes, but if we work from that assumption then such issues become harder to deal with because there is no plan of action. It is all very well to say what they should do - I think parents should teach their children a lot more before they start school so they we can erase the first few years of school for many people but it is about managing this against expectations. We can't expect every parent to be a good one and if we say fine we won't help then the only people we are hurting are the children and thus the argument becomes abhorrent.

We have to pick our battles. Better to invest energy into what the state can control rather than what they can't. Yes that would be great if all parents are supportive but it will never happen and telling them they should be fixes nothing. It addresses a symptom and not the cause - the cause being the lack of opportunities for the parents.

Not really, I still do **** all. Difference is as you get older nobody has to deal with the consequences as directly so they don't bother annoying you about it. Of course I have the added benefit of being born with a brain - many others are not as lucky. Metaphorically speaking, of course.

It's not even a requirement of being a good parent, just basic parenting. I know my parents were good, the amount of time dedicated to us children was above many of my peers at school got, she became a child minder to stay at home with us, and there we met little laura. Her mother was mentally ill, suicidal, and 17. Laura was severely disturbed, but could talk, feed herself with cutlery and dress herself.

Going back to punishment.. Assuming the parents aren't oing to help, how can punishments be carried out if the parents can stop it?

Ok on a totally different note, this laptop won't run the registry cleaner and its annoying me now.
It's not even a requirement of being a good parent, just basic parenting. I know my parents were good, the amount of time dedicated to us children was above many of my peers at school got, she became a child minder to stay at home with us, and there we met little laura. Her mother was mentally ill, suicidal, and 17. Laura was severely disturbed, but could talk, feed herself with cutlery and dress herself.

Going back to punishment.. Assuming the parents aren't oing to help, how can punishments be carried out if the parents can stop it?

Ok on a totally different note, this laptop won't run the registry cleaner and its annoying me now.

Parents can't stop expulsions.

Even mine still manages to do that. Not that I can have anything open at the same time :facepalm2:
Parents can't stop expulsions.

Even mine still manages to do that. Not that I can have anything open at the same time :facepalm2:

We had kids still turning up to school!

it won't open it! and i don't know why, and now its just died again. i've got an hour til he comes home and i have to give up
We had kids still turning up to school!

it won't open it! and i don't know why, and now its just died again. i've got an hour til he comes home and i have to give up

You have no duty of care so it isn't the responsibility of the school. At that point they should call social services as much as I am loathe to say it.

Have you tried downloading and using CC cleaner
You have no duty of care so it isn't the responsibility of the school. At that point they should call social services as much as I am loathe to say it.

Have you tried downloading and using CC cleaner

We had enough dealings with SS due to abuse. when you get home and find a kid sitting and your mother telling you someone is coming to pick them up..

I've run cc cleaner already. I'm trying to get registrybooster to work now. Then gonna re scan again. I have got the internet working however.
We had enough dealings with SS due to abuse. when you get home and find a kid sitting and your mother telling you someone is coming to pick them up..

I've run cc cleaner already. I'm trying to get registrybooster to work now. Then gonna re scan again. I have got the internet working however.

Schools are trigger happy with calling SS tbh. But on the other end I know sometimes teachers are not allowed to step in.

Bad times. You could just wipe it and re-install the operating system?
Schools are trigger happy with calling SS tbh. But on the other end I know sometimes teachers are not allowed to step in.

Bad times. You could just wipe it and re-install the operating system?

No disks, and no external hard drive to back up the stuff he wants kept.

The cases i knew of were normally sexual abuse by a family member, my mother was known to deal with things and a lot of the girls trusted her, so thats the ones i knew about.
(edited 12 years ago)
No disks, and no external hard drive to back up the stuff he wants kept.

The cases i knew of were normally sexual abuse by a family member, my mother was known to deal with things and a lot of the girls trusted her, so thats the ones i knew about.

I know that feeling. It's why I can't do it either.

It will vary from school to school. SS are crap for the most part anyway.
I know that feeling. It's why I can't do it either.

It will vary from school to school. SS are crap for the most part anyway.

I'm just doing my best, its sort of running now, which is more than it was.

They are, but at least the school tried something.
I'm just doing my best, its sort of running now, which is more than it was.

They are, but at least the school tried something.

Not the schools fault I know.

Aye well at least that is something.

I think I may go and have a hot bath and do some reading. Not sure what I fancy reading though.
Not the schools fault I know.

Aye well at least that is something.

I think I may go and have a hot bath and do some reading. Not sure what I fancy reading though.

enjoy it, i might do some ironing, and put some jeans on rather than just my shirt before dee comes back
:tongue: .

The forum's displaying correctly again :biggrin:

I had juno come and visit me yesterday
Reply 1418
Hey

I'm going to spend a year at Essex under the ERASMUS programme. I just received my accommodation offer, which is at WOLFSTON COURT.

What's your opinion on that place? is it nice? All i've heard about it is "too quiet"...

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread, moving it to the right one :P
(edited 12 years ago)
The forum's displaying correctly again :biggrin:

I had juno come and visit me yesterday

Cool. Did you two have fun?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending