The Student Room Group

Post your best photograph

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2581
Original post by Roobsa
Took these last night:

I was going to head up to clapham last night to take some photos, but then I heard that, in clapham at least, anyone who stood out or was taking photos was very likely to get mugged and abused and I think me going up with a large white 70-200 on my camera taking photos would not of gone down too well so decided to give it a miss. The photos you got are very good though, is an awful time but you can get some striking photos from it (as you have).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2582
Original post by bpb123
I was going to head up to clapham last night to take some photos, but then I heard that, in clapham at least, anyone who stood out or was taking photos was very likely to get mugged and abused and I think me going up with a large white 70-200 on my camera taking photos would not of gone down too well so decided to give it a miss.

Yeah I got a lot of attention while using my 70-200. Mostly from nice folk asking if I'm from the press etc. Even met a journo from The Evening Standard. As it was getting dark, there was noticeably more hoodies so decided time to call it and head home. I think actual press photographers could get behind police lines though for protection.
Reply 2583
I would like to head out and take pics of this, however, someone I know through photography had 8k of equipment robbed off him whilst he was shooting on Sunday. It is a joke.
Yeah, I would not risk taking my 70-200 out. It's not so much the loss of the gear, just the possible violent reactions of the looters if they catch you taking pictures of them. I'm staying safe tbh.
Reply 2585
Original post by MrBez
I would like to head out and take pics of this, however, someone I know through photography had 8k of equipment robbed off him whilst he was shooting on Sunday. It is a joke.

Ah man, that sucks. Is he OK and was it insured? I (stupidly) went out with about 4k's worth of uninsured (ran out a few weeks ago but is insured now) kit. Very silly I know. I was getting quite anxious when the light was going as I was walking through the back streets of Lewisham with hoodies drinking spirits from the bottle around.

Original post by alcazaba
Yeah, I would not risk taking my 70-200 out. It's not so much the loss of the gear, just the possible violent reactions of the looters if they catch you taking pictures of them. I'm staying safe tbh.

Whilst I agree with the reactions comment, photojournalists (not saying I am one) have to deal with the risks to get the shots. Last night was quite exciting for me but also quite intimidating. I can't even imagine the kind of buzz war photographers get.
Reply 2586
Original post by Roobsa
Yeah I got a lot of attention while using my 70-200. Mostly from nice folk asking if I'm from the press etc. Even met a journo from The Evening Standard. As it was getting dark, there was noticeably more hoodies so decided time to call it and head home. I think actual press photographers could get behind police lines though for protection.

I can imagine during the day it would of been less dangerous, unfortunately I was working and completely out of the loop until I got home by which point it just looked too dangerous to head out on the news with very few police actually there. I think you would be right about press photographers, and probably any serious looking photographer for that matter, but without the body armour they wear I would feel more at risk there if there are projectiles being thrown rather than off to the side of the main crowd.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2587
I've been approached by a fairly big museum for use of one of my photographs for an up and coming publication. Might make a little bit of money out of my venture to Lewisham! :eek:

Won't say who it is just yet but that's kind of exciting.
Original post by Kisamekick
I'm warmed up, yo! LOL, CURIOUS. Can't be that bad can it? I wasn't planning to sleep tonight anyway. :colonhash:

Holy mother of-

Hahaha if that picture makes you use that hilarious smilie then you will DIE when you see mine!! :biggrin: I might put it in a spoiler...if I knew how....
EDIT! Just thought, you can click my Flickr link and see it there!! It's in the arachnophobia set...go loooook :biggrin:
Original post by MrBez
Not my usual style, but I thought that some of you may appreciate them:

I love the first one! Looks like a drawing! :biggrin:
Original post by Roobsa
Took these last night:

Woah, that was brave!! I feel nervous just taking pictures in public on a normal day :biggrin: They're greta pictures :smile:
Original post by The Procrastinator
Hahaha if that picture makes you use that hilarious smilie then you will DIE when you see mine!! :biggrin: I might put it in a spoiler...if I knew how....
EDIT! Just thought, you can click my Flickr link and see it there!! It's in the arachnophobia set...go loooook :biggrin:

EWWW, IS IT THE ONE WHICH LOOKS LIKE IT WAS TRYING TO DO A CRAB AND DIED HALF WAY THOUGH?
OMG, that is disgusting. I just noticed I automatically put my feet on my chair going through your gallery. LOL. :teehee:
And yeah, I've died. Despite that, you're really good. : D

Btw, you seen that popular 'Spider hell' picture? If you haven't, google it. It's the one that comes up most. I can't even look at it. Like.... It's... HELL.
Original post by KissMyArtichoke
I've been using a set of jessops extension tubes combined with my 18-55mm and have had pretty good results so far, probably better than could be achieved through macro filters. I too have my eyes on a dedicated macro lens though, probably the sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro. I need to save up for a bit though :frown:

Ah, yes I've heard of extension tubes. I'm really new to all this btw haha! I will see if my Dad has some I can borrow (I've got him back into photography and he keeps buying loads of stuff!! winner!) :biggrin:

I need to do research and find the one that will last me years...you know, get the right focal length one. I really don't know what I am saying :colondollar:
Took it quite some time ago:

EWWW, IS IT THE ONE WHICH LOOKS LIKE IT WAS TRYING TO DO A CRAB AND DIED HALF WAY THOUGH?
OMG, that is disgusting. I just noticed I automatically put my feet on my chair going through your gallery. LOL. :teehee:
And yeah, I've died. Despite that, you're really good. : D

Btw, you seen that popular 'Spider hell' picture? If you haven't, google it. It's the one that comes up most. I can't even look at it. Like.... It's... HELL.

Haha ooooh how you make me laugh! :biggrin::biggrin: Just to add to my crazed personality, that dead spider has been sitting in my desk draw for months waiting for me to get the courage to photograph it :sigh: I have a serious phobia of spiders...but this is my way to get over it! I couldn't even LOOK at pictures before! So you can imagine looking down a lens at one...pretty creepy. But I feel fine with that. Next task...hold a spider. Yes, that's right! :biggrin:

And yes, I have seen that spider hell picture. I can now look at that without flinching, or automatically scanning my room for spiders...I'm half cured! :biggrin:
Haha ooooh how you make me laugh! :biggrin::biggrin: Just to add to my crazed personality, that dead spider has been sitting in my desk draw for months waiting for me to get the courage to photograph it :sigh: I have a serious phobia of spiders...but this is my way to get over it! I couldn't even LOOK at pictures before! So you can imagine looking down a lens at one...pretty creepy. But I feel fine with that. Next task...hold a spider. Yes, that's right! :biggrin:

And yes, I have seen that spider hell picture. I can now look at that without flinching, or automatically scanning my room for spiders...I'm half cured! :biggrin:

You have a phobia of spiders!? Never would have thought! Pahaha! And you plan to hold one? EWWW, you brave person. :teehee:
One experience I've had with a big ass spider was, I woke up.. and 'coz I'm like half blind (haha, glasses, yo!) I could see this big ass black blur slowly descending from my ceiling to my face. WORST. MORNING. OF. MY. LIFE. :eek:
You have a phobia of spiders!? Never would have thought! Pahaha! And you plan to hold one? EWWW, you brave person. :teehee:
One experience I've had with a big ass spider was, I woke up.. and 'coz I'm like half blind (haha, glasses, yo!) I could see this big ass black blur slowly descending from my ceiling to my face. WORST. MORNING. OF. MY. LIFE. :eek:

Yes! I start shaking and get a really sore throut for some reason. I'm just hoping when I do see a big bastard of a spider, I will be calm...here's hoping anyway! Just so ya know, August/September time is when the male house spider (like the one in my hellish picture) go roaming round for females to mate with. They are the ones that get stuck in the bath.

...and wtf? You FACE?! I swear spider get extra wobbly on the ceiling just as they are above your bed.

I don't find them disgusting or anything. My worst fear, right..have you seen the film called The Fly? my worse fear is that if a spider hair goes into my skin, I will turn into spider. Shyeah :colondollar: I can't even hold dead spiders because of this!! :colondollar:
Ah, yes I've heard of extension tubes. I'm really new to all this btw haha! I will see if my Dad has some I can borrow (I've got him back into photography and he keeps buying loads of stuff!! winner!) :biggrin:

I need to do research and find the one that will last me years...you know, get the right focal length one. I really don't know what I am saying :colondollar:

Yeh, I know what you mean. I'm pretty much sold on the sigma 150mm now because it has some solid reviews and the long focal length appeals to me since you can be further away when taking 1:1 shots of bugs and things. On my cropped format sensor it should also make a half decent fixed length tele, although probably a bit too long for portraits. I have my nifty fifty for that though :tongue:.
Reply 2599
Original post by Luceria

Stunning!
Where was this taken?

Quick Reply

Latest