The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kpatb
Christ's :smile:
It's okay, if it gets that bad I will go to the Porters and whinge like a 5 year old girl for so long that they'll just fed up with me and be forced to give me a heater 0:smile:

To be fair, when I was there for interview, the room was lovely and the heater was just right btu that was in New Court which is all relatively new. Just a bit worried about some of the older rooms.

Thank you for the idea though, I think I'll just stop by at Asda and buy one incase :smile: (That's a good idea, thank you Tortious!)

And I've moved through various countries in the Middle East! But I'm Indian and that too I come from a place in South India just off the Equator. Thank god I've traveled a lot, so I'm okay at dealing with lots of temperatures!

No worries - I'm sure you'll be having far too much fun in Cambridge to notice, especially if Christ's has bops as cool as ours (on that point, bring fancy dress stuff!). :awesome:

Feel free to ask if you've got more general questions about Cambridge clubs/socs etc., or if there's anything Christ's-specific, I know a friendly third year, gethsemane342. If you quote her, I'm sure she'd be happy to help. :p:

Got the tshirt

You should come to the Pembroke thread and say hello, although I'm not sure that many of us are on TSR at the moment. Anyway, feel free to quote/PM me if there's anything you'd like to know (either PM to avoid clogging this thread or quote me here if it's something others might like to know). :h:

Ahhh...to be a fresher again. :moon:
Original post by jsadapa1
Tell me about it!

And its frustrating how when i try to tell someone about the feeling may it be to some friend, or on the forum, they tell me off to shut up and do something else :/ lol

GAHHH 10 days :/

I know! I don't want to talk about it, but at the same time I need to vocalise my fear sometimes, haha. XD

Original post by Doughnuts!!
are you me?!

Bahaha, considering that we also had exactly the same experience around exam time, I think we may indeed actually be the same person! :tongue: High five!
Original post by kpatb
Thermals = The Sexy underwear of cold countries. :P

On a more serious note, my friend is at St John's and a year older (who used to also live here), he said that Cambridge is actually one of the drier parts of England and it's only a few months of the year during TERM time that it's very cold.

So I'm not too worried.
I think.

That brought to mind a picture my mum intends to blackmail me with in the future. Last year 'father christmas' bought me, my older sister and my little sister (2 at the time) matching grey thermal hello kitty leggings and vests and then my little brother photographed us wearing them for a laugh.
Original post by Got the tshirt
That brought to mind a picture my mum intends to blackmail me with in the future. Last year 'father christmas' bought me, my older sister and my little sister (2 at the time) matching grey thermal hello kitty leggings and vests and then my little brother photographed us wearing them for a laugh.

If you want an excuse to get rid of them and to be one of the best-dressed people in Cambridge, you should go to Primark and get a onesie. They're £12 and are perfect for fancy dress - I've got a cow and a tiger, but currently they've also got Elvis ones and monkeys (*cough* blatant Curious George ripoff*). :p:
Original post by Tortious
If you want an excuse to get rid of them and to be one of the best-dressed people in Cambridge, you should go to Primark and get a onesie. They're £12 and are perfect for fancy dress - I've got a cow and a tiger, but currently they've also got Elvis ones and monkeys (*cough* blatant Curious George ripoff*). :p:

I'll have to have a look? Do you have lots of fancy dress parties ?

My sister was a bit boring at Downing as she is a medic but I hope if I get in I'll have more free time.

(I'll delay signing into the Pembroke thread for about 9 days just in case I jinx anything) My friend didn't make her maths offer last year :frown:

My sister was a bit boring at Downing as she is a medic but I hope if I get in I'll have more free time.

(I'll delay signing into the Pembroke thread for about 9 days just in case I jinx anything) My friend didn't make her maths offer last year :frown:

Well, they're not parties so much as really cheesy discos with the latest music (Florence + The Machine, Kings of Leon etc.), which always have lots of alcohol and end with "Angels" by Robbie Williams (the chorus is "I'm lovin' Pembroke instead" :wink:).

We have one at the start and end of the every term except exam term. They're really good fun, and past themes have included "Heroes and Villains", "The Nightmare Before Christmas", "Roald Dahl" and "P is For...". You should get more information about the theme for the next one in the welcome pack. :yep:
Reply 2166
anyone else planning on giving their college a sneaky call at the start of next week? see if they feel like sharing?

god... 8 days to go and i've already started to have periodic breakdowns.....
Original post by emma1701
anyone else planning on giving their college a sneaky call at the start of next week? see if they feel like sharing?

god... 8 days to go and i've already started to have periodic breakdowns.....

I don't think they will. :no: The last thing they want is unequal treatment of offer-holders. That and I think the JCQ rules prevent results being given out by anyone before 6am (?) on results day.

Seriously, dude, chill out! :hippie: You can't change them now, so waiting another 24 hours won't hurt. I'm sure you'll have done fine - they wouldn't have made you an offer if they didn't think you could get the grades! :smile:
:^_^:
Original post by SaturnineDragonfly
:^_^:

Excited and nervous :biggrin:
Original post by livius sprocket
Excited and nervous :biggrin:

Oh to have an unconditional offer and KNOW you will be going to Cambridge in October!

Just thought I'd say that I'm holding an offer from Pembroke for this October too! :smile: I'm Jenny, hopefully will be reading Arch and Anth, what about you? (Sorry if you've said this already, I'm on my crappy phone on a train and can't look through the thread properly)
How are you feeling about results day? I'm so scared and nervous, just want to hibernate until the 18th to be honest!
:smile:
Original post by jennyrenhaigh
Just thought I'd say that I'm holding an offer from Pembroke for this October too! :smile: I'm Jenny, hopefully will be reading Arch and Anth, what about you? (Sorry if you've said this already, I'm on my crappy phone on a train and can't look through the thread properly)
How are you feeling about results day? I'm so scared and nervous, just want to hibernate until the 18th to be honest!
:smile:

Hi I'm Mary and my offer is for engineering.

Absolutely terrified about the 18th as I've got a horrible offer (A* in FM). Also my parents like to go en mass (6 of us) to results day so if its bad news it'll be awful.

My sister's best friend is doing Arch and Anth - sounds really interesting :smile:

Hope we're both there in October
Oh to have an unconditional offer and KNOW you will be going to Cambridge in October!

It is a relief.:wink:

I am sooo glad I don't have the anxious wait for results- I feel your tension! I am sure you will all be whooping with delight in a few days.
Reply 2174
Original post by livius sprocket
It is a relief.:wink:

I am sooo glad I don't have the anxious wait for results- I feel your tension! I am sure you will all be whooping with delight in a few days.

I can second this. I'm finding myself spending hours every evening looking at almost every resource online about Cambridge... I've read through my entire college website what feels like a million times, scoured every page on the CULS website - I just want to move to Cambridge and start now already!!

I feel for everyone still waiting for their results - I know you'll all be nervous, but you can all take solace in the fact that the vast majority of offer-holders meet or exceed the conditions set. Cambridge don't make mistakes - if they've given you an offer, they expect you'll meet it.

Best of luck to everyone on results day - not long to go now!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2175
man... I wish I were in the unconditional boat right now... :frown:
Reply 2176
Original post by TomU
I can second this. I'm finding myself spending hours every evening looking at almost every resource online about Cambridge... I've read through my entire college website what feels like a million times, scoured every page on the CULS website - I just want to move to Cambridge and start now already!!

I've pretty much exhausted all the resources on my college and subject as well!

Original post by emma1701
man... I wish I were in the unconditional boat right now... :frown:

The one disadvantage of having an unconditional offer (for me anyway) is that Cambridge no longer feels even remotely special. When people asked me enthusiastically 'are you excited' my response went from 'I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT WAIT!! :nuts:' in January to 'meh.... the novelty has worn off, want to start already :sigh:' in July. lol.
Hi I'm Mary and my offer is for engineering.

Absolutely terrified about the 18th as I've got a horrible offer (A* in FM). Also my parents like to go en mass (6 of us) to results day so if its bad news it'll be awful.

My sister's best friend is doing Arch and Anth - sounds really interesting :smile:

Hope we're both there in October

Oh wow, that is definitely a bitch of an offer (although an E in FM would be next to impossible for me haha). Best of luck, fingers crossed!

My college puts our results online early in the morning, so thankfully avoiding the dreaded family trips to results day, though my mum and sister will most likely bang my door down at 6am.

Good luck, if we both get our grades it would be good to know a name of somebody else at Pembroke at least! :smile:

I can't remember anything about the accommodation choices I made. I think I put the most expensive last as I'm a bit frugal but as I get a full grant I get quite a good rent reduction (30% I think).

Hi - do you know if the reduction is standard for all colleges (specifically Downing). Would make quite a difference!
Reply 2179
Original post by SabreT
The one disadvantage of having an unconditional offer (for me anyway) is that Cambridge no longer feels even remotely special. When people asked me enthusiastically 'are you excited' my response went from 'I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT WAIT!! :nuts:' in January to 'meh.... the novelty has worn off, want to start already :sigh:' in July. lol.

yeah fair enough.. still, must be nice to know what your going to be doing with your life after the 18th...
the only thing I can plan for is the purge of everthing I own that ever said 'Cambridge' on it if Thursday all goes wrong..
:cry2:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending