The Student Room Group

Make-up ideas, colours, techniques

First of all Hi to all the girls and maybe some boys who are reading this thread. I couldnt find it anywhere on TSR so i thought id make one.

I saw a thread on another forum labelled make-up ideas. Girls shared techniques, links for new brands or colours that they love to wear, posted pictures of eye shadow variations, shared links to products that they would reccomend and shared with each other how to do it.
Not only that a few of my friends had asked me for make-up ideas. So I thought this may be a good thread for all the girls to get into. :smile:
So lets start the reccomendations and product links shall we?

Now I would LOVE to be able to do this kind of style for my eyeshadow. I've got close to it but it's never looked to neat and tidy as this.

I found this set by Urban Decay, it's called book of shadows 3, and absoloutely love it with a passion. So many colours that work so well together and my favourite combination is.....

Maui Wowie for the inner corners of the eye applied to the mid section of the eye, then psychedelic sister for the outter corner of the eye, blended into the crease and into the first colour. Then to blend it into the skin use the colour Midnight cowboy rides again. And it'll come up with something similar to this.

So what about everyone else? Care to share some of your favourite combinations of make-up? Or favourite products? Even techniques of how to apply. Anything is welcomed :tongue: And I look forward to hearing your suggestions, not to mention trying them out. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
*watches thread*

I really want to get the Urban Decay Naked Palette, I've seen so many videos on YouTube where they create lovely eye looks with it!

Why don't you post a picture of how yours ended up and maybe we can give you some tips to improve it? :smile:

xo
Reply 2
Original post by Mega Nerd
*watches thread*

I really want to get the Urban Decay Naked Palette, I've seen so many videos on YouTube where they create lovely eye looks with it!

Why don't you post a picture of how yours ended up and maybe we can give you some tips to improve it? :smile:

xo

Of the blue or the yellow/purple?

I'll see if I can find you a link for the naked palette :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Lovin
Of the blue or the yellow/purple?

I'll see if I can find you a link for the naked palette :smile:

You said you've tried the blue, I think it was, but you didn't get it as crisp as in the picture, if you got a picture of your eye when you did the look, then maybe we could help you to improve it or something :smile:

I've seen it in House of Fraser, I think for about Β£35, which is the lowest I've seen it. Even on eBay the prices are about Β£50-Β£90 which I don't quite understand :confused:

xo
Reply 4

Urban Decay Naked Palette

For all those Interested for the Book of shadows 3

Urban Decay Book of Shadows 3
Reply 5
You said you've tried the blue, I think it was, but you didn't get it as crisp as in the picture, if you got a picture of your eye when you did the look, then maybe we could help you to improve it or something :smile:

I've seen it in House of Fraser, I think for about Β£35, which is the lowest I've seen it. Even on eBay the prices are about Β£50-Β£90 which I don't quite understand :confused:

xo

I shall try to get a picture up sometime in the week of the blue :smile:

I tried to find the cheapest and the most reliable company for the palette's The house of frasier is the best one so far :smile: But debenhams have it at the same price. In fact im sure thy're part of the same company or sister companies. :smile: I ordered the book of shaows from there and it was quick and reliable. But definately worth the money, it lasts for ages.
Reply 6
Loving the ideas dunno why I clicked on this thread. But might be interesting to see what you girls actually do with your eyes. I love the eyes on women. Keep em colorful ladies :wink:
Original post by Lovin

So what about everyone else? Care to share some of your favourite combinations of make-up? Or favourite products? Even techniques of how to apply. Anything is welcomed :tongue: And I look forward to hearing your suggestions, not to mention trying them out. :smile:

Bit of Benefit Posey tint, bit of Rouge Coco in TΓ©hΓ©ran and voilΓ‘!

^Nuff said precious.

Peace blad
Reply 8
*watches thread*

xo

I have the Naked Palette and it is amazing, the quality is excellent! I recommend it :smile:
Reply 9
Hot Pink and Black

Pink, Yellow and Purple

Pink and Purple

Pink and Purple Comes with a tutorial

Pink and Purple Make-up Tutorial

A green Combo

Comes with a Tutorial
Green Make-up Tutorial
Love these Colours.

Edit::: Just to clarify these are not tutorials I made. They're from another person. I loved the look so I thought id post it here and share :smile: Enjoy
(edited 12 years ago)

xo

I saw it on P+O ferries for Β£25! Too bad it was the end of my holiday and i had spent all my money :'(
Reply 11
i love natural makeup, such as Jennifer Lopez

http://http://jenniferlopezs.blogspot.com/
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Lovin

This looks amazing :coma:

Ooh, I really love makeup, and I'm so addicted to watching tutorials on YouTube and looking at beauty blogs :biggrin:. I'm trying to do more makeup stuff on my blog too, when I stop being lazy that is :p:.

Watching this thread :ninjagirl:
*Watches thread* :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by becko37
These are amazing. I wish I could ever get my make-up to look even half as good as these pics!

Some of them have tutorials that are also posted. Click on them and have a look and practice :smile: You should post pics too :smile:

I'll be trying to get some more pictures and tutorials too. Plus products I would reccomend and Love. Feel free to do the same :smile:
Reply 15
Eye Liner Reccomendation

Bourjoi Liquid Eyeliner - Liner Pinceau -This product is fantastic. The brush glides over your eye lid like a paintbrush would on a canvas. It's not a hard brush, its very flexible so glides over the natural arc in your eye. It makes it very easy to do flicks at the edge of the eyes and stays on throughout the day. (although I believe the product looks different now but is virtually the same, just doesnt have the white top, its now black), They come in a variety of colours and it should look like this

Quick tip
- I've found that if you apply this eyeliner while your eye is open, you get a more even and smooth line.
Reply 16
Just In case.

For people who wanted/liked the hot pink and black eye shadow. I have found a tutorial for you to follow. I dont think you need the colours or brushes that she mentions in the video. Take a Look and Enjoy

And in case you missed it, this is what your supposed to finish with :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Right I think I reccomended quite a bit on eyes, so lets move to something different. How is everyone's foundation?
My favourite foundation has got to be Boujois 10 hour sleep effect foundation. This would particularly suit someone with really pale skin. My skin is actually rather pale and the other makes of foundation didnt even come close to my shade, they just made me look rather orange with a very distinct neck line.

This is what the product should look like, I'v also included the shades that it comes in. I use the 71 extra fair and it covers my skin beautifully.
It's a liquid foundation which is very easy to apply. I find the best way, or rather my preferred way is with a foundation brush, applying in small wisps, (light layer) It leaves a lovely finish to your skin. It's not too overpowering so it wont "cake" your skin.
Also comes with a Tutorial too. Enjoy :smile:

Reply 18
Original post by Lovin
Just In case.

For people who wanted/liked the hot pink and black eye shadow. I have found a tutorial for you to follow. I dont think you need the colours or brushes that she mentions in the video. Take a Look and Enjoy

And in case you missed it, this is what your supposed to finish with :smile:

MAC have just released a new range of eye shadows in sets of 2, called the Pro Palettes. Number 7 would be perfect for this look if anyone was interested!

http://www.maccosmetics.co.uk/product/154/17321/Pro-Palette-Eye-Shadow-X-2/index.tmpl
Reply 19
Original post by Hattie.
MAC have just released a new range of eye shadows in sets of 2, called the Pro Palettes. Number 7 would be perfect for this look if anyone was interested!

http://www.maccosmetics.co.uk/product/154/17321/Pro-Palette-Eye-Shadow-X-2/index.tmpl

Ooooo. Just looked at the set and tis verrry nice. So tempted to buy :biggrin: Thank you for sharing :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest