The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1440
Original post by darkshadow1111
maths, economics,business and psychology.....how about economic and maths?? im planning to pick up hurther maths as next year.

Economics and Maths is even less likely if you don't have further maths A2. Would you consider some of their other courses like Statistics and Finance? They're much less competitive...

They also don't like the combination of Economics and Business studies
Reply 1441
Original post by Tateco
IMO this is almost correct. The only places I have seen why show a preference for further maths are LSE, UCL and some Cambridge colleges.

Not UCL, M. Pemberton, the Economics Admissions tutor said they were 'neutral' on the issue
Reply 1442
Original post by somaiyar
Not UCL, M. Pemberton, the Economics Admissions tutor said they were 'neutral' on the issue

:eek: UCL said that? Good news for me...
Original post by somaiyar

Surprising to hear that :frown:

Original post by Tateco

You don't do FM? Or just at AS?
Regarding FM, LSE and Warwick seem to place ridiculous emphasis upon it opposed to UCL, Cambridge and others. What I would say, if you can, take FM alongside 3 other subjects (Economics, Maths and one more).

However, from experience, people with FM as a fourth subject, people with FM as a third subject and people without FM or AS FM have all been successful in attaining places at top universities. I guess it all depends on the all round quality of the candidate.

All the best guys, was in your position this time last year and it was hard work, but worth it :smile: If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask or PM me :smile:
Reply 1445
Original post by StarChamber
Regarding FM, LSE and Warwick seem to place ridiculous emphasis upon it opposed to UCL, Cambridge and others. What I would say, if you can, take FM alongside 3 other subjects (Economics, Maths and one more).

However, from experience, people with FM as a fourth subject, people with FM as a third subject and people without FM or AS FM have all been successful in attaining places at top universities. I guess it all depends on the all round quality of the candidate.

All the best guys, was in your position this time last year and it was hard work, but worth it :smile: If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask or PM me :smile:

After hearing from a Warwick admissions tutor on here, FM is definitely not seen as advantageous over other traditional academic subjects. In fact, if you have three other subjects and further maths your offer will be A*AAA, but if you have four subjects not including further maths your offer will be A*AAB. I agree with LSE, though.

I agree that people seem to place too much emphasis on it, but I suppose we just want something to worry about

Got any tips for getting into Cambridge?

P.S. I don't know why you got negged, everyone seems to get negged in this thread whatever they say :u:
Reply 1446
Original post by Psychotic546
Surprising to hear that :frown:

You don't do FM? Or just at AS?

I'm going to do AS in year 13 hopefully :smile: Do you do the full A-level? I think the worst situation people could be in (regarding top 5 applications) would be if they just took Maths, Further maths, Economics to A2 and nothing else, sounds like it would be all round rejections
Original post by Tateco

Original post by Tateco
After hearing from a Warwick admissions tutor on here, FM is definitely not seen as advantageous over other traditional academic subjects. In fact, if you have three other subjects and further maths your offer will be A*AAA, but if you have four subjects not including further maths your offer will be A*AAB. I agree with LSE, though.

I agree that people seem to place too much emphasis on it, but I suppose we just want something to worry about

Got any tips for getting into Cambridge?

P.S. I don't know why you got negged, everyone seems to get negged in this thread whatever they say :u:

Regarding Warwick I wouldn't of course want to disagree with the admissions tutor, but they did give offers out to those with FM first. I'm not sure when the rest were given offers but it was not certainly early in the cycle. That does not mean anything at all but I'm also sure they give out a bigger proportion of offers to those with FM, a stat given by someone in Warwick's Econ Soc. Out of personal experience a friend with 9A*'s at GCSE without FM got his offer in March so its all very confusing. Nonetheless its a great institution and hopefully you guys succeed in getting in and perhaps help clear some of the myths :smile:

For Cambridge apart from the standard grades issue and PS etc.... one of the biggest hurdles for you guys will be the interview. Its meant to be hard and push you to a limit. So you need to prepare for that! How? Well some basics of course - first would be interview skills. You may not know an answer, but should have the ability to have a shot at it regardless. Also speaking with confidence and enthusiasm! Some people I've heard of, simply gasped and choked at some questions and had no intention of answering them. Don't do that :smile:

Secondly knowledge. They will ask you some very difficult things and for that knowledge is required. Knowledge about your PS, reference, interests and syllabus. The easiest way to attain this knowledge is to read. Make sure you read up on everything you've written down. If you've done an EPQ/research project make sure you know what you are talking about! - you're meant to know about it! On your SAQ you will also have boxes to fill in about your syllabus. So make sure you know about it- I just read my textbook. You will no doubt have certain interests that they will pick up on. It helps to be genuinely interested in them, rather then something your dad/teacher/friend came up with. Everybody is interested in something I'm sure! What's most important about these questions is not only do you know the things you are supposed to know but also have the capacity and intelligence to try and think further, even if it is a guess. Like many people say, your thought process is important.

Mathematical Ability is also important, depending on which college you opt for. It is likely you will be asked mathematical problems. Usually either some calculus or some Economics in a problem which includes maths you have already done - basically C1-C4 or S1-S2 maths (usually) in an Economic problem.

Other things which may be included, although comes under knowledge may be an understanding of current affairs, historical aspects of Economics, major events (particularly in Economics), essay work you send prior to interview and of course after your interview any admissions tests you may be required to do. The only way to know these things is by taking an active interest and reading up on these things!

Many colleges often also do a general interview or a part general interview. I guess the significance of this is to see you are an interesting person that they won't mind supervising for 3+ years. Remember they must also have a view as well on who they would like to teach although perhaps that should not be a factor. On the flip side however they also want an intelligent person which is where UMS plays such an important part I feel. Just like our school teachers, Directors of Studies and Admissions Officers have standards and people constantly looking over their shoulder and therefore they want to make their college successful. Thus it makes sense to try and get people who will attain top grades. I guess overall what I'm saying is a well-rounded person.

Taking account of everything I have said above the last thing I would personally advise is for you all to develop an opinion. What I mean is if they ask you a question, they want your answer. Not what the textbook or the newsreader says but your take on the theory, event etc etc... I wish all the best of luck and try and remain interesting in Economics (a lot) and enthusiastic. Try and do as much debating and interview practice as possible. Good luck :smile:

EDIT: I'm sure there's plenty of other things but this is all I can think of!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1448
Regarding Warwick I wouldn't of course want to disagree with the admissions tutor, but they did give offers out to those with FM first. I'm not sure when the rest were given offers but it was not certainly early in the cycle. That does not mean anything at all but I'm also sure they give out a bigger proportion of offers to those with FM, a stat given by someone in Warwick's Econ Soc. Out of personal experience a friend with 9A*'s at GCSE without FM got his offer in March so its all very confusing. Nonetheless its a great institution and hopefully you guys succeed in getting in and perhaps help clear some of the myths :smile:

For Cambridge apart from the standard grades issue and PS etc.... one of the biggest hurdles for you guys will be the interview. Its meant to be hard and push you to a limit. So you need to prepare for that! How? Well some basics of course - first would be interview skills. You may not know an answer, but should have the ability to have a shot at it regardless. Also speaking with confidence and enthusiasm! Some people I've heard of, simply gasped and choked at some questions and had no intention of answering them. Don't do that :smile:

Secondly knowledge. They will ask you some very difficult things and for that knowledge is required. Knowledge about your PS, reference, interests and syllabus. The easiest way to attain this knowledge is to read. Make sure you read up on everything you've written down. If you've done an EPQ/research project make sure you know what you are talking about! - you're meant to know about it! On your SAQ you will also have boxes to fill in about your syllabus. So make sure you know about it- I just read my textbook. You will no doubt have certain interests that they will pick up on. It helps to be genuinely interested in them, rather then something your dad/teacher/friend came up with. Everybody is interested in something I'm sure! What's most important about these questions is not only do you know the things you are supposed to know but also have the capacity and intelligence to try and think further, even if it is a guess. Like many people say, your thought process is important.

Mathematical Ability is also important, depending on which college you opt for. It is likely you will be asked mathematical problems. Usually either some calculus or some Economics in a problem which includes maths you have already done - basically C1-C4 or S1-S2 maths (usually) in an Economic problem.

Other things which may be included, although comes under knowledge may be an understanding of current affairs, historical aspects of Economics, major events (particularly in Economics), essay work you send prior to interview and of course after your interview any admissions tests you may be required to do. The only way to know these things is by taking an active interest and reading up on these things!

Many colleges often also do a general interview or a part general interview. I guess the significance of this is to see you are an interesting person that they won't mind supervising for 3+ years. Remember they must also have a view as well on who they would like to teach although perhaps that should not be a factor. On the flip side however they also want an intelligent person which is where UMS plays such an important part I feel. Just like our school teachers, Directors of Studies and Admissions Officers have standards and people constantly looking over their shoulder and therefore they want to make their college successful. Thus it makes sense to try and get people who will attain top grades. I guess overall what I'm saying is a well-rounded person.

Taking account of everything I have said above the last thing I would personally advise is for you all to develop an opinion. What I mean is if they ask you a question, they want your answer. Not what the textbook or the newsreader says but your take on the theory, event etc etc... I wish all the best of luck and try and remain interesting in Economics (a lot) and enthusiastic. Try and do as much debating and interview practice as possible. Good luck :smile:

EDIT: I'm sure there's plenty of other things but this is all I can think of!

I hear Warwick are drastically changing their admissions criteria/ process this year, so it should be quite interesting to see what they do

:eek4: Wow, thanks for the advice! That's really helpful :biggrin:
Original post by Tateco
I'm going to do AS in year 13 hopefully :smile: Do you do the full A-level? I think the worst situation people could be in (regarding top 5 applications) would be if they just took Maths, Further maths, Economics to A2 and nothing else, sounds like it would be all round rejections

Erm I've only got C4 left to finish my maths A level so I'm doing that and FM AS & A2 next year. Yeah they always say take FM as a 4th.

x

For the maths interview questions, what about if you've done FM, could they test you on something from FP2 or similar? Thanks for the advice btw :smile:

For the maths interview questions, what about if you've done FM, could they test you on something from FP2 or similar? Thanks for the advice btw :smile:

It's quite possible assuming you have covered the material. I'd think if they wanted to directly compare applicants it would most likely be C1-C3 maybe C4/FP1 and S1 and maybe S2. Its all up to the college/interviewer but usually the maths involve something you have covered albeit sometimes with a twist.
Reply 1451
Original post by Tateco

Yes, at the open day there was a queue of people outside his office wanting to ask questions about the economics course
I'm planning on applying to Royal Holloway, Surrey, Kent, Leicester and possibly Reading. I reckon I am a ABB-BBB candidate and thought if this selection of universities were good.
Reply 1453
Original post by ThaChronic
I'm planning on applying to Royal Holloway, Surrey, Kent, Leicester and possibly Reading. I reckon I am a ABB-BBB candidate and thought if this selection of universities were good.

Pos rep'd you for whatever idiot negged you.

They seem good I think for the requirements, but you could try Southampton aswell. I've heard they're very good and they ask for AAB-ABB
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1454
Original post by ThaChronic

I also pos repped you for the same reason as Hemzo. Seems like a good selection to me.

Hemzo, I think they are asking for AAA this year?
Reply 1455
Regarding Warwick I wouldn't of course want to disagree with the admissions tutor, but they did give offers out to those with FM first.

Just to clarify, we really didn't

I'm not sure when the rest were given offers but it was not certainly early in the cycle.

People with all qualifications received offers at all points in the cycle. It depends when you apply, and whether we wish to wait to compare your application to others, as to when you'll hear back. It's more likely the case that people who applied to Oxbridge, and also applied to Warwick, applied earlier in the cycle, and so heard back earlier. These people might have been more likely to have further maths.

That does not mean anything at all but I'm also sure they give out a bigger proportion of offers to those with FM, a stat given by someone in Warwick's Econ Soc.

Again, be careful with causality here. I'm not sure what the stat you're referring to is, but my guess is that it's more the case that "highly talented people tend to take further maths, and they get offers because they're talented", rather than simply "some people take further maths, and get offers because they take further maths."

Out of personal experience a friend with 9A*'s at GCSE without FM got his offer in March so its all very confusing.

The problem, I think, is one of small sample. The applications differ by much more than whether you have FM or not.
Original post by lovsn
Just to clarify, we really didn't

We did. It was confirmed by a Warwick Admissions Officer. Luckily for this cycle admissions seem to have a new policy.

Original post by lovsn

People with all qualifications received offers at all points in the cycle. It depends when you apply, and whether we wish to wait to compare your application to others, as to when you'll hear back. It's more likely the case that people who applied to Oxbridge, and also applied to Warwick, applied earlier in the cycle, and so heard back earlier. These people might have been more likely to have further maths.

Not the case. I agree you can receive a reply at any point, but it was independent of when you applied and a vast majority of candidates without FM received replies later than those with.

Original post by lovsn

Again, be careful with causality here. I'm not sure what the stat you're referring to is, but my guess is that it's more the case that "highly talented people tend to take further maths, and they get offers because they're talented", rather than simply "some people take further maths, and get offers because they take further maths."

The problem, I think, is one of small sample. The applications differ by much more than whether you have FM or not.

I think it is a bit of both :h: Any regarding the last bit, of course it's only one person but I'm only speaking from personal experience :smile:
Reply 1457
We did. It was confirmed by a Warwick Admissions Officer. Luckily for this cycle admissions seem to have a new policy.

Not the case. I agree you can receive a reply at any point, but it was independent of when you applied and a vast majority of candidates without FM received replies later than those with.

I think it is a bit of both :h: Any regarding the last bit, of course it's only one person but I'm only speaking from personal experience :smile:

Just so you don't make yourself sound really stupid, that is a Warwick admissions tutor :colondollar:
Original post by Tateco

Original post by Tateco
Just so you don't make yourself sound really stupid, that is a Warwick admissions tutor :colondollar:

Really? I'm just quoting what an admission tutor told me over the phone in the last cycle. Mean no harm just putting across what I know :h:

In which case, ignore everything I have said and listen to him/her or even better phone/email them yourselves for queries :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1459
Really? I'm just quoting what an admission tutor told me over the phone in the last cycle. Mean no harm just putting across what I know :h:

In which case, ignore everything I have said and listen to him/her or even better phone/email them yourselves for queries :smile:

Yes.

lovsn has already helped me with many queries :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending