The Student Room Group

Changing your Firm and Insurance **FAQ 2011**

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Subclique
That's really weird. I got an e-mail today from Manchester about confirmation info and in it, it says that if requested, they will reject your offer making your insurance firm.

"If you have been accepted by your Insurance choice and would rather take your place there than wait to be considered in August, you can request that we reject your application which will change your Insurance choice to become your Firm choice. If you request this, please be aware that because our numbers are limited, it is very unlikely that we will be able to reconsider your application at a later stage, unless places are available in Clearing."

Got the same email but it says above that that's only for people who narrowly miss their required grades.
I can't rely on that as both of mine are AAB(I know, stupid choice but only offers I got)

I just have to wait for clearing now :frown:
Reply 401
Hi,

My choices are -

Firm: Birmingham (AAB)
Insurance: UEA (BBB)

However I have now realised that if I fail to get into Birmingham and instead get into UEA I do not want to go. What shall I do about this, shall I contact the university before results day or what?

If I didn't get into Birmingham I would like to be able to attempt to go through clearing to one of my preferred universities, however I don't want to be wasting my time on results day trying to reject my place at UEA.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Original post by jamamama
Hi,

My choices are -

Firm: Birmingham (AAB)
Insurance: UEA (BBB)

However I have now realised that if I fail to get into Birmingham and instead get into UEA I do not want to go. What shall I do about this, shall I contact the university before results day or what?

If I didn't get into Birmingham I would like to be able to attempt to go through clearing to one of my preferred universities, however I don't want to be wasting my time on results day trying to reject my place at UEA.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Contact them and ask them to put their decision on you through as unsuccessful no matter what your grades are.

You've missed the chance to get rejected before Track freezes, but if they agree and do the above it ends in the same thing: you're not trying to get released on results day.

Do it as soon as you can, which is tomorrow. There's still a bit of time before they get your results and start making decisions - that should happen Monday. Once that happens, they won't speak to you anymore.
Reply 403
Original post by TheSownRose

You've missed the chance to get rejected before Track freezes,

I just submitted a clearing application today (after being informally offered a place via email).

Does track now being frozen mean that I will not be able to receive or confirm my place until the 18th?
Original post by BigV
I just submitted a clearing application today (after being informally offered a place via email).

Does track now being frozen mean that I will not be able to receive or confirm my place until the 18th?

Yes - the university can still approve it their end, but Track isn't going to update for you until next Thursday (unless they approve it before today is over, but that's unlikely.)

FYI, you don't need to confirm it once they've approved it; adding it as your Clearing choice is you confirming it. :smile:
Reply 405
Yes - the university can still approve it their end, but Track isn't going to update for you until next Thursday (unless they approve it before today is over, but that's unlikely.)

FYI, you don't need to confirm it once they've approved it; adding it as your Clearing choice is you confirming it. :smile:

Thanks, that has lowered my stress levels somewhat. :smile:
I failed to get the grades for my firm choice and was offered a deferred entry to next year. I decided to wait and see if my insurance would accept me before I said no. Today my mum tel'd UCAS for advice as I had a note to reply to offer on track and also to ask about clearing. Well, I cancelled my firm (so sad!) and mum tel'd my insurance as I had emailed them a week or so ago to advise not met grades and was told that they are not allowed to enter into any correspondence with me as they were not my firm choice. Sooooo had my mum not stepped in to help me I could have been in big trouble.
Err. meant that they were unable to correspond with me until a decision had been made to refuse/accept the firm.
Original post by Corsairboxinroom
I failed to get the grades for my firm choice and was offered a deferred entry to next year. I decided to wait and see if my insurance would accept me before I said no. Today my mum tel'd UCAS for advice as I had a note to reply to offer on track and also to ask about clearing. Well, I cancelled my firm (so sad!) and mum tel'd my insurance as I had emailed them a week or so ago to advise not met grades and was told that they are not allowed to enter into any correspondence with me as they were not my firm choice. Sooooo had my mum not stepped in to help me I could have been in big trouble.

How did it turn out in the end? Now your firm has been cancelled are they talking to you?

Spoiler

How did it turn out in the end? Now your firm has been cancelled are they talking to you?

Spoiler

Just wanted to say that your clearing experience is an inspiration to me, I admire you for having the confidence to change subjects so late in the game and using your experience to help others.
They said that they had put my application on hold and are now waiting until the A level results are known, then they will make a decision and I should know Thursday next week. I had thought of opting out to try clearing as there are some better courses around that did not show up on UCAS when i first applied. I just wish I had known that they could not correspond or I would've dealt with the firm sooner.
Original post by Pheebs1201
Just wanted to say that your clearing experience is an inspiration to me, I admire you for having the confidence to change subjects so late in the game and using your experience to help others.

:colondollar: Now I feel all embarrassed - thank you. :colondollar: :colondollar:

Original post by Corsairboxinroom
They said that they had put my application on hold and are now waiting until the A level results are known, then they will make a decision and I should know Thursday next week. I had thought of opting out to try clearing as there are some better courses around that did not show up on UCAS when i first applied. I just wish I had known that they could not correspond or I would've dealt with the firm sooner.

The full Clearing lists haven't been published yet, so if you're just going by what was in Extra when it ended don't rush to do anything yet.

If you'd rather go to your insurance than not go at all this year, keep it for now; getting out is easy enough, getting it back is difficult.
Hiya!

Monday I rang my firm - Cardiff and insurance - UWIC to tell them that I no longer wanted to study the course - Biomedical Sciences and therefore would like to be released from my offer. Basically because I knew I wouldn't be happy doing the course, have no idea why I applied for it in the first place and so thought I may as well see if I can get anything better in clearing, if not, take a gap year and reapply for a better course. Cardiff said all was fine and that's all I needed to do was email them. I did this and they responded saying all was done, yet my UCAS track hadn't changed - no clearing number. I rang UCAS and they said that Cardiff still hadn't contacted them to say I'd been released.

Do you think I should contact Cardiff again to ask why they haven't been in contact with UCAS?

Also, as I've been released from there, if I fancied a course there through clearing, could I apply for it?

Thank you! Sorry it's an essay! :wink:
Original post by BlodynTatws
Do you think I should contact Cardiff again to ask why they haven't been in contact with UCAS?

Your Track won't change until early on the 18th now, as of yesterday it's frozen and won't update. You still need to make sure Cardiff release you as soon as possible though, they may say that they'll just release you immediately on the 18th which will put you in Clearing.

Also, as I've been released from there, if I fancied a course there through clearing, could I apply for it?

Yep :smile:
:colondollar: Now I feel all embarrassed - thank you. :colondollar: :colondollar:

:hugs: been meaning to say it for awhile!
Reply 415
bit late isnt it?
but yeah id say ring up the universities
Yes you are not obliged to go to their university. Alternatively you could consider Adjustment.
Best. Thread title. Ever.

...and I think so. If so, you'd have to call them up and asked to be "released". I did that last year with my insurance and believe me when I say...it's an awkward phone call.

But if you're taking a year out if you get better than expected grades then you could look into "adjustment"? Perhaps find a deferred entry course? Or just a better course/ better uni for this year (tactically avoid the ole fee increase..)
Original post by tsr-member

Original post by tsr-member
Best. Thread title. Ever.

...and I think so. If so, you'd have to call them up and asked to be "released". I did that last year with my insurance and believe me when I say...it's an awkward phone call.

But if you're taking a year out if you get better than expected grades then you could look into "adjustment"? Perhaps find a deferred entry course? Or just a better course/ better uni for this year (tactically avoid the ole fee increase..)

+rep just for making TSR that but more awkwRd :biggrin:
Original post by Oggz
Is it possible to be released from your firm choice on results day even if you meet their offer?

(I am only doing this course if I get bad grades, and will take a year out if I have good grades).

Yes - you phone them up and ask to be released. This means you can then use Clearing, or just reapply. In fact, you don't need to be released if you just want to reapply (unless it's a deferred offer), you just have to tell them that you won't be going.

If you over-achieve your offer, you can also look into Adjustment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending