The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by candide
I'm just struggling to come to terms with the fact school starts again on thursday! =(

wat :lolwut:
Original post by fluteflute
I have four weeks and four days of holiday left :wink:

Did we mention that our exams finished a month before yours and we already have our results? :tongue:
Reply 4202
Original post by punctuation
I probably shouldn't be voicing my mutinous thoughts on the Oxford applicants thread... But after visiting both cities, UCL has a location that I much prefer... :/ Of course London is more vibrant than Oxford - while I loved the 'quaintness' of Oxford I'm more of a busy city girl... Argh. I am still undecided... :

ETA: oh no! Our poor spreadsheet. *looks around, shakes fist*

On the subject of free visits to colleges - wasn't that keen on looking around anyway. I just stood by the entrance, glanced around, and left. It was enough for me :tongue:

Yeah I agree London is so much better than Oxford.
Sorry to double post but the most exciting thing has happened! Our school's UCAS buzzword finally works (what's that? No, I've not been checking it every week :ninja:) and I'm filling out my UCAS choices!!!

I'm way too excited by this. I'm also having problems with my national identity. Am I British or Scottish? This clearly calls for deep introspection.
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Sorry to double post but the most exciting thing has happened! Our school's UCAS buzzword finally works (what's that? No, I've not been checking it every week :ninja:) and I'm filling out my UCAS choices!!!

I'm way too excited by this. I'm also having problems with my national identity. Am I British or Scottish? This clearly calls for deep introspection.

I was rather surprised how many of my (Catholic) friends chose British in addition to or instead of Irish, I never thought I was particularly Republican but I don't identify with being British at all :colonhash:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by medbh4805
I was rather surprised how many of my (Catholic) friends chose British in addition to or instead of Irish, I never thought I was particularly Republican but I don't identify with being British at all :colonhash:

I don't identify as 'British' either - it's not really an identity at all. But my parents are English and I have an English accent, so can I really say Scottish? Difficult decisions...
I probably shouldn't be voicing my mutinous thoughts on the Oxford applicants thread... But after visiting both cities, UCL has a location that I much prefer... :/ Of course London is more vibrant than Oxford - while I loved the 'quaintness' of Oxford I'm more of a busy city girl... Argh. I am still undecided... :

On the subject of free visits to colleges - wasn't that keen on looking around anyway. I just stood by the entrance, glanced around, and left. It was enough for me :tongue:

Julie, how could you say something like that!!! :tongue: Haha no, I can see your point. You either love or hate being in London and you are obviously the former. But you are applying for both anyway, aren't you? Are there differences in the entrance requirements for Canadian students? That should be a deciding factor as well. For instance UCL has higher requirements for German students for economics than LSE and Oxford.
Reply 4207
I don't identify as 'British' either - it's not really an identity at all. But my parents are English and I have an English accent, so can I really say Scottish? Difficult decisions...

Ha, my mother is pure English and my dad is from a long line of island-dwelling MacDonalds, who, in the end, are half-Irish, half-Norwegian. I don't have a drop of Lowland blood in me, so am I Scottish? or a barbaric Gael at the periphery of Our Great British Empire, fortunately cleansed by the Anglo-Saxon virtue of my x-chromosome?
Original post by candide
Ha, my mother is pure English and my dad is from a long line of island-dwelling MacDonalds, who, in the end, are half-Irish, half-Norwegian. I don't have a drop of Lowland blood in me, so am I Scottish? or a barbaric Gael at the periphery of Our Great British Empire, fortunately cleansed by the Anglo-Saxon virtue of my x-chromosome?

Please put "barbaric Gael" as your nationality on UCAS. Yeah, I was born here and have lived here all my life, but my parents were both born and raised on England. My mum's parents were German (but naturalised in 1945), and my great-grandfather was Belgian. Then his father was Lithuanian. Think I'll write Scottish.
Reply 4209
Please put "barbaric Gael" as your nationality on UCAS. Yeah, I was born here and have lived here all my life, but my parents were both born and raised on England. My mum's parents were German (but naturalised in 1945), and my great-grandfather was Belgian. Then his father was Lithuanian. Think I'll write Scottish.

King James IV was the last scottish monarch to speak "the language of the savages who live in some parts of Scotland and on the islands."

I might put 'wild heilan laddy.'

Wow, you're very cosmopolitaine! =P

Oxford is reasonably quiet now, but imagine when 40,000 students descend on it come October... obviously still not quite the same as London though :tongue:

And I think I have repaired our spreadsheet :biggrin:
Anyone here going for PPE? Are you guys reading anything interesting at the moment :smile:
Just filling in the evaluation from UNIQ

[quote] Did you hear about the summer schools from any of these sources?

[a]School
A teacher
[c]The Student Room forum

:mmm:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Lexi C
Could you defer your offer after being given an offer? That would be great!

As I understand it, only in special circumstances - the tutors usually have a specific number of places to offer for each year, so if they've offered a place for this year they won't want to end up with a gap this year and a place taken up for next year. If you would like a gap year, apply for deferred entry from the start (or wait and apply next year with grades in hand of course).
Just occasionally an applicant may be offered a deferred place instead of an immediate place without having applied/asked for it - but that would be the college's choice, on the basis they had a finite number of immediate places and an extra Oxford standard candidate; and usually the colleges can sort that sort of thing out between themselves without taking such an unusual action.
Original post by hockeyjoe
Anyone here going for PPE? Are you guys reading anything interesting at the moment :smile:

Almost everyone in this thread is applying for PPE :biggrin: Well, I am not but you should take a look at our holy spreadsheet, the section withh PPE applicants is HUGE!!!

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ahtu7FJUHwgsdHJsRE1aa0hQdl9rOWY3MHVqTmUteHc&hl=en_US&authkey=CMTUkYUO#gid=2
Just filling in the evaluation from UNIQ

:mmm:

:-o I haven't got an evaluation form!

To be fair, the one thing I must thank my "Oxbridge co-ordinator" for is informing us about the summer schools.
Original post by nightmare91
Julie, how could you say something like that!!! :tongue: Haha no, I can see your point. You either love or hate being in London and you are obviously the former. But you are applying for both anyway, aren't you? Are there differences in the entrance requirements for Canadian students? That should be a deciding factor as well. For instance UCL has higher requirements for German students for economics than LSE and Oxford.

Yeah UCL has higher reqs. A*AA-AAA whereas Ox asks for pure AAA. So if I get an offer for both unis (!) it wouldn't make any sense to use UCL as insurance... Argh. Oxford is, well, Oxford, so if I get an offer I'd be mad not to firm - and I prefer the academic atmosphere as well as the curriculum. I guess I'll see when I hopefully get an interview.
Reply 4217
Original post by nightmare91
Almost everyone in this thread is applying for PPE :biggrin: Well, I am not but you should take a look at our holy spreadsheet, the section withh PPE applicants is HUGE!!!

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ahtu7FJUHwgsdHJsRE1aa0hQdl9rOWY3MHVqTmUteHc&hl=en_US&authkey=CMTUkYUO#gid=2

Seriously WOW at PPE!
Original post by fluteflute
:-o I haven't got an evaluation form!

To be fair, the one thing I must thank my "Oxbridge co-ordinator" for is informing us about the summer schools.

It's online, so check your emails, though they might be sending them out in batches :holmes:

they say it's completely anonymous too but they ask for your course and the region you're from, so with NI and Classics that kind of narrows it down to me and Lexi C...awkward :teehee:
(edited 12 years ago)
It's online, so check your emails, though they might be sending them out in batches :holmes:

they say it's completely anonymous too but they ask for your course and the region you're from, so with NI and Classics that kind of narrows it down to me and Lexi C...awkward :teehee:

Haha do they ask for which college you were at too? Expect I'll be quite easily identifiable. Ah well, all good things to say. I think... (oh except those grass stains from lots of parachute games! :tongue:)

In other news, I have added a header thingy to our spreadsheet, so hopefully people will be able to use it without wrecking it in the future...

Latest

Trending

Trending